Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2008, 13:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I beg to differ - I was stopped on the Landy for not wearing a seat belt. This is in rural Palghat. Our neighbour, the old doctor, was also stopped on the highway off which our house lies there - for not wearing the seat belt on his Honda City.

So if you're not wearing your seat belt you better have a big Gandhi in your pocket.
Steer -- Seatbelts is mandatory ONLY for vehicles built AFTER 1989. (IIRC) Vehicles before that DO NOT need them - so long as you have a FC you are okay.

I never drive faster than 100kmph typically. I have started tailing other vehicles - I ensure that I never overtake unless there is another vehicle in the front that I can slot behind. Though not very convenient, this leapfrogging has kept me out of harms way so far.
Old 25th September 2008, 14:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Steer -- Seatbelts is mandatory ONLY for vehicles built AFTER 1989. (IIRC) Vehicles before that DO NOT need them - so long as you have a FC you are okay.
Know that, said as much to the cops. They were more interested in the vehicle than in giving me a fine.

That said, I'm having seat belts installed in the landy anyway. Feel insecure without them.
Old 25th September 2008, 14:22   #33
BHPian

Couple of months back, they caught me doing 85 kmph at Anickad, TDPA-MVPA road, and gave me an impressive-looking challan, recommending supsension of my license for a period not less than 2 months. No on-the-spot fines.
I have not bothered to appear in the RTO office till now. So no idea about the status of my license!

They had flagged me down once more, a few days later, this time at a higher speed, but I just carried on driving. After that I have been careful with the limit on that stretch...but am yet to come across them. I am told they are most active on Saturdays!

There is another place, in the MVPA-PBVR road, I think it's Pulluvazhi. Often see the cops there.
Old 25th September 2008, 20:28   #34
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I can bet my job that the city buses of Cochin would be speeding at more than 35kmph at almost all the roads in Cochin, thats the unfortunate irony, the Police turning a blind eye to the maniac buses while trying to rip the car guys for driving at 80kmph on a 70kmph speed limit zone.

I was once overtaken by a private bus plying between Trichur & Palghat when I was driving at a sedate 85 kmph, am sure if there was a speed radar, I would have been caught but the bus would have gone scott free
exactly my point! I'm tired of being victimised because I own a car while every other road user goes their merry way.
@malludude- dude! curb your wild streak cops are no better than a mob once you get them worked up.
@steer and trrk-thanks for the speed limit info
@kb100- I agree, leap frogging when used properly will keep us out of a lot of trouble, both with the law and accidents.

I thought Tdpza-Muvattpzha road was safe

may I request all contributors to please add the approx time of the day the cops are seen?
I have seen them only between 10AM and 4PM at various locations.

Last edited by rippergeo : 25th September 2008 at 20:33.

Old 26th September 2008, 13:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I thought Tdpza-Muvattpzha road was safe
Hello? Remember I got hauled up for speeding on that route while returning from the CSI-Kuttikanam/Monsoon Drive meet?

Or did you break off at TDPZA?
Old 26th September 2008, 14:10   #36
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Hello? Remember I got hauled up for speeding on that route while returning from the CSI-Kuttikanam/Monsoon Drive meet?

Or did you break off at TDPZA?
I broke off at Tdpza. lucky me! otherwise it might have been me instead of you

Old 26th September 2008, 14:26   #37
BHPian

I have read in Wikipedia that Isle of Man, Nepal, Uttar Pradesh and Kerala are the only places in the world that do not have a general speed limit.But funny, now the link in wikipedia does not mention Kerala.
Speed limit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

speed limit: Definition from Answers.com
Old 26th September 2008, 15:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

That's not correct Nash, I've been caught for speeding in Uttar Pradesh too!! Ghaziabad district has two Interceptor vans based on the Versa which they deploy on the Ghaziabad bypass on NH 24 & I was caught by them twice. Once I paid the fine & the other time I didn't!!

P.S. But yes, one good thing is, any speed the fine is 300 rs fixed!
Old 26th September 2008, 18:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

update!

Hi,

26/09/2008 11.30PM

Opposite CHASS FURNITURE showroom west of Pulincunnu jn on Alleppey - Changanacherry Road.

Monitoring traffic going towards Changanacherry.

This was based in a white Invader police jeep with the unit on the road side on a tripod stand.
Old 25th October 2008, 03:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

sorry for the bump .
police are very much there in Muvattpuzha. anicad near the church ,near to thodupzuha also and in perumbavoor route anywhere between mannoor and pulluvazhy.
They got a unit written "speed intercepter"(whatever that means) - a maruti omni as well as a versa(rare siting) .regular checking for overspeeding,seat belt,helmets are carried out in this route.

also ,please update the thread.
Old 26th October 2008, 07:00   #41
rippergeo

Red and Blue police tavera sighted setting up its equipment on the road between kundanoor junction and the cochin port at noon, day before yesterday.

More specifically, the unit was placed a kilometer or so after the toll checking post at thevara

Old 26th October 2008, 09:08   #42
Senior - BHPian

Know your fines

Speed limits

For whiteboard cars

From MVDKerala - Act and Rules

1. Near schools - 25 KMPH
2. Ghat Roads - 40 KMPH
3. Muncipality limits - 40 KMPH
4. Other roads - 40 KMPH

Penalities:-

MVDKerala - Offence and Penalities

1. Driving over speed limit - 400 Rs. for white board vehicles. 300 for yellow boards.
2. Driving "dangerously" - 1,000/-

3. Failure to stop vehicle on demand - Rs. 500/-

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 26th October 2008 at 09:09.
Old 26th October 2008, 09:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Speed limits

For whiteboard cars

From MVDKerala - Act and Rules

2. Ghat Roads - 40 KMPH
4. Other roads - 40 KMPH

Penalities:-

MVDKerala - Offence and Penalities

1. Driving over speed limit - 400 Rs. for white board vehicles. 300 for yellow boards.
2. Driving "dangerously" - 1,000/-

3. Failure to stop vehicle on demand - Rs. 500/-
Small correction: The website actually says for Motor Cars as below:
2. Ghat Roads - 40 KMPH
4. Other roads - 70 KMPH

Which explains the logic of catching those above 70kmph on highways.
Old 26th October 2008, 10:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

Ugh oh.

Thanks typofinder err.. Path_finder!! ;-)
Old 26th October 2008, 19:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

For those who use the NH47:

In the Cherthala byepass, there is about a 100 to 150 m stretch of it with a 40kmh limit just before the railway station wile going towards Cochin. There are speed limit signboards on either side, but no corresponding speed limit over sign boards.

If the speed radars are set to watch this area, everybody will be caught as by the time you reduce your speed after seeing the sign, you would have crossed the stretch.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks