Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2012, 18:25   #31
BHPian

re: Guwahati - Kaziranga - Shillong - Guwahati : Route Queries

Hi, I am now planning to go with family to Guwahati this December

Here are few info about my itirinary, I request help in assimilating the plan
  1. I intend reaching Guwahati on Dec 24 and leave Assam on Dec 30
  2. I live in Chennai and I want to take train one way, fly the other - cost cutting you know . So, will reach Guwahati by train and reach Chennai by aircraft
  3. I want to visit Kaziaranga and Chirapunji for sure

Now the actual questions:
  1. What else would I be missing if at all I would?
  2. I guess the min temp is about 7 or 8, I have been to Manali during December and have enough wollen cloths, guess that is good enough
  3. What should my mode of transport be to the two places? If I am missing something, can I accomodate that within the two dates? If yes, how should I plan my route?
  4. From where should I actually fly out back to Chennai?
  5. What are the precautions I should observe or what should be aware of during my trip?

During my Manali trip, I stayed in a guest house and I love the one who runs the guest house and also the people employed. They are absolutely great and I would insist whoever goes to Manali, to stay ONLY with them. So, the stay in Assam, wherever it is, I would like to go out of Assam with similar feeling. Kindly help me if you know, the places that provide such hospitality.
Old 8th October 2015, 10:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up a very old thread to inform all Bhpians travelling from Guwahati to Shillong that the Road has been 4 laned for about 60 kms from Burnihat to Barapani except about 5 kms in Umsning which is still 2 laned and pathetic. However the 4 laned road is fantastic. Superb surface and twisties. check this video
Old 1st March 2016, 12:19   #33
BHPian

Since packages are quite expensive, i am looking to do the planning myself. I would really appreciate if i can get any pointers to reliable Travel operators providing cab for 5/6 days which would cover Guwahati, Shillong and Cherapunjee. Also is Mid May a good time to visit as monsoon might set in.
Old 1st March 2016, 12:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
I would really appreciate if i can get any pointers to reliable Travel operators providing cab for 5/6 days which would cover Guwahati, Shillong and Cherapunjee. Also is Mid May a good time to visit as monsoon might set in.
You will find plenty of cabs to Shillong and Cherrapunji from Guwahati. They generally run as cabs on pooling basis but can also be hired for the full trip. Options available from WagonR, Swift to Innova, Xylo. You need not pre-book them and can be availed from Paltan Bazar (near old ASTC Bus stand, towards platform 5-6 side of Guwahati Railway Station). You'll easily get cabs from airport to this place. Majority of the cabs to Meghalaya charge on kms traveled basis (Number of kilometers done divided by 8 or 10 depending on vehicle type multiplied by diesel price + allowances for driver for food and night stay). The key will be negotiation here.

Since you'll be traveling in May, there are high chances you'll be reliving the rains in the "Abode of the clouds". But roads are well maintained and water doesn't stay on for long, so shouldn't be a problem. But you may have to stay put for a few hours in case of heavy downpours.
TD_GHY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 13:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
You will find plenty of cabs to Shillong and Cherrapunji from Guwahati.
As i want to hire a cab for a 5 day trip, I would prefer to hire a cab from a local travel agent due to safety and reliability concerns.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote:
Since you'll be traveling in May, there are high chances you'll be reliving the rains in the "Abode of the clouds". But roads are well maintained and water doesn't stay on for long, so shouldn't be a problem. But you may have to stay put for a few hours in case of heavy downpours.
This means that at max i should plan my trip by 1st week of may.
Old 1st March 2016, 14:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
As i want to hire a cab for a 5 day trip, I would prefer to hire a cab from a local travel agent due to safety and reliability concerns.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This means that at max i should plan my trip by 1st week of may.
I can share a number of a travel operator with you. You can have a talk with him and decide on the rates/vehicle etc. We had taken 2 Innovas from him 2 years back when we did this route,and found the service very good.

Actually, monsoon arrives early in North East India. While the rest of India receives the first monsoon rains around May, this part receives them around 1 month earlier ie April.

Last edited by TD_GHY : 1st March 2016 at 14:07. Reason: Corrected a spelling mistake
Old 1st March 2016, 14:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will you be travelling with family? If yes you should book in advance. If not you are better off taking it on day to day basis and travelling by shared taxis.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 14:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I would prefer to hire a cab from a local travel agent due to safety and reliability concerns.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Somehow the reply to your PM isn't getting sent. Did you receive any PM from me? Wanted to confirm since my sent items doesn't show reply to your message. Let me try after sometime. Maybe some glitch.

Last edited by TD_GHY : 1st March 2016 at 14:28. Reason: Corrected spelling mistakes
Old 1st March 2016, 14:28   #39
BHPian

I have got your message. Thanks for your quick response.
dpkbehera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 12:17   #40
BHPian

Travelling to Arunachal/Assam for 12 days with family this november. Only the flights to Guwahati are booked. Traveling with my 3 yr old son. Would prefer to hire a cab for the entire duration. Any help/with a reliable cab would be great! Also any pointers on places not to miss. I am not visiting Tawang as we are traveling with our 3 yr old son
Old 14th December 2016, 19:38   #41
BHPian

Travelling to Guwahati with wife and daughter on 18th April and a flight back to Bangalore on 28th April.A bit early but would appreciate inputs on places to be covered from Guwahati.We were planning on Meghalaya and try to touch non touristy spots.

However plans are flexible and on the wishlist is a trip to Kaziranga(not in the wife and daughters scheme of preferences though!).
Old 14th December 2016, 22:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayols View Post
Travelling to Guwahati with wife and daughter on 18th April and a flight back to Bangalore on 28th April.A bit early but would appreciate inputs on places to be covered from Guwahati.We were planning on Meghalaya and try to touch non touristy spots.

However plans are flexible and on the wishlist is a trip to Kaziranga(not in the wife and daughters scheme of preferences though!).
Kaziranga is worth a visit in itself. Let them come and see it and am sure they will not regret it. Apart from the above the places that you can cover are:
Megahalya: Sohra/ Cherrapunji with the caves and the double decker root bridge. Then a visit to Dawki and Jowai for the Monoliths. Shillong for the Don Bosco Museum.
Assam: Kaziranga, Tejpur and Nameri eco camp besides the Kamakhya Temple. if u have 2 spare days then a visit to Shibsagar about 160 kms beyond Kaziranga should complete your trip.

Non touristy spots are best avoided when travelling with family.
Old 14th December 2016, 22:27   #43
BHPian

Thanks and really appreciate your inputs wanderernomad.Have 10 days so need to plan the best itinerary.Would be pinging again and taking your help when the plan gets formalized.Right now its off to the Andamans next week.
Old 12th February 2017, 10:55   #44
BHPian

Re: Guwahati - Kaziranga - Shillong - Guwahati : Route Queries

Finally bookings for my long awaited trip to Guwahati, Kaziranga, Shillong and Cherapunjee has been done.I would really appreciate if i can get any pointers to reliable Travel operators providing cab for 5/6 days which would cover Guwahati, Kaziranga,Shillong and Cherapunjee.
Old 15th February 2017, 09:25   #45
BHPian

Re: Guwahati - Kaziranga - Shillong - Guwahati : Route Queries

Also would greatly appreciate feedback about the following i.e.
a) Pala Resort Cherrapunjee and any better alternatives?
b) Red River- A Unit of Assam Tourism Development Corporation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks