Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 18:39   #1

Decent restaurants on Chennai -Bangalore GQ route

Friends - Iam looking for some decent food outlets for breakfast / lunch in the route from Chennai to Bangalore (via Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur )

Preferring ones closer to the highway.
Old 26th November 2008, 21:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

You have hotel grand Krishna just before you reach Vellore on the left side then near Pallikonda toll booth you have hotel deepa, motel roshin between ambur and vaniyambadi on the right, tamilnadu tourism hotel just before krishnagiri and about twenty five kms later adyar ananda bhavan
Old 26th November 2008, 21:39   #3
BHPian

The hotel near pallikonda is hotel deepam.

Also just after poonamalee you have motel highway/annamalaiar and just before hyundai you have Indo-Muscat bakery/hotel.
Old 27th November 2008, 00:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

There are a couple of threads with the same information.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ute-query.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...e-old-new.html
Old 25th January 2010, 09:38   #5
Team-BHP Support

Was looking at these threads on NH46. I realized that eating options are galore on this route, but still I would say they are limited, in spite of the heavy traffic.

One reason maybe because, every one hopes to be in time for dinner/lunch at the destination. Also the good hotels (read Krishna Grand, A2B etc,) are at the start. Nothing in the middle of the route.

Another thing which I noticed is that you find plenty of Coffee days on NHs around BLR but very few on NH46? I could spot only one and that too, it was not advertised properly. Not sure why is this so. Please dont take for a CCD fan; I would prefer the road side chai-wala anyday. That was just an observation.

Last edited by ampere : 25th January 2010 at 09:39.
Old 25th January 2010, 10:07   #6
J.Ravi

I usually have breaks during my Bangalore - Chennai trips at BP Ghar Dhaba A2B, Chinnar, near Krishnagiri toll plaza on NH 7 and Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Vellore, located a few km from Satthuvachari flyover on NH 46.

Old 25th January 2010, 10:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I usually have breaks during my Bangalore - Chennai trips at BP Ghar Dhaba A2B, Chinnar, near Krishnagiri toll plaza on NH 7 and Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Vellore, located a few km from Satthuvachari flyover on NH 46.
I did see the Saravana Bhavan board at Vellore, but I thought you need to go deep inside to get there. Hence I ditched that idea. Thats when I realized that there are places, but they need effort to get there !
Old 25th January 2010, 10:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Was looking at these threads on NH46. I realized that eating options are galore on this route, but still I would say they are limited, in spite of the heavy traffic.

Very true ampere, there are very few decent restaurants on this route which has surprised me for the last 10 years. Compared to the bangalore-mysore route (Which is app same distance), this is very very less.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I did see the Saravana Bhavan board at Vellore, but I thought you need to go deep inside to get there. Hence I ditched that idea. Thats when I realized that there are places, but they need effort to get there !
How about Arya Bhavan @ Vellore? It was decent the last time I had there.
It is also on the service road and not too inside. You have to take the service road before you take the fly over when you enter proper Vellore.

Of course, if you like Arcot Biryani (acquired taste, IMO) from Star Biryani Hotel, you could time it so that you reach around 12.00 noon in Arcot. You have to go about a kilometer inside Arcot (when you come from Chennai). If you are late, they would have already sold out for the day.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:16   #10
BHPian

After the vaniyambadi toll gate (towards bangalore) near natrampalli you have a dhaba (next to petrol bunk) thats really good.

If you are planning to get into vaniyambadi town, you can check out the ahamedia's briyani (non-veg)

@thalavoy: i am not a great fan of arya's. There is another hotel opposite to aryas' which is also very good. forgot the name.

In vellore, some good eateries known to me.
aavana inn - oppsite to cmc
hotel kalpana for chettinad non-veg - near cmc
a non-veg hotel in state bank complex
DVP bakery for good bakery stuff
maharani ice creams next to voorees college

Last edited by ikoneer : 22nd February 2010 at 11:20.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:18   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
How about Arya Bhavan @ Vellore? It was decent the last time I had there.
It is also on the service road and not too inside. You have to take the service road before you take the fly over when you enter proper Vellore.

Of course, if you like Arcot Biryani (acquired taste, IMO) from Star Biryani Hotel, you could time it so that you reach around 12.00 noon in Arcot. You have to go about a kilometer inside Arcot (when you come from Chennai). If you are late, they would have already sold out for the day.
Never tried this place. Will try it sometime ! I am a veggie. Is there a veg version of the Biryani available ?
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Never tried this place. Will try it sometime ! I am a veggie.
I have been to this place a couple of times. It's there on both sides of the road (on your left in both directions - when you go towards Madras, or when you go towards Bangalore).

If you eat there, yes, you can go to Office the next day, but not very happy with their toilets
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:21   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
I have been to this place a couple of times. It's there on both sides of the road (on your left in both directions - when you go towards Madras, or when you go towards Bangalore).

If you eat there, yes, you can go to Office the next day, but not very happy with their toilets
If you go down further towards Chennai, I noticed some thing called landmark. Seem to be like good hotel from the outside. Has anyone tried that? (I think I got the name right). Its on your left as drive towards Chennai.
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:28   #14
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeh, the Saravanabhavan is slightly inside. The food is very tasty, but it costs a bomb. I remember paying 50 - 70 rupees for a plate of idly. Had 4 idlys so small that I can stuff 6 of them at one go.
Decided never to step there again.
Old 22nd February 2010, 17:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Yeh, the Saravanabhavan is slightly inside. The food is very tasty, but it costs a bomb. I remember paying 50 - 70 rupees for a plate of idly. Had 4 idlys so small that I can stuff 6 of them at one go.
Decided never to step there again.
That is a huge premium.

I remember having lunch at Sarvana Bhavan in Chennai @ around Rs 160 per plate. Though costly but it was worth it. It had more than 20 varieties of foods in a single thali, but 70 Rs for 1 plate Idly is not worth it I would say.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks