Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 19:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well the shorter route is actually through Chittoor - Palmaner - Kolar to Bangalore as this is the original NH4. Approximately 30 kms shorter. However this is 2 lane from Ranipet till K.R. Puram. Also Chittoor - Palmaner is bad and Mulbagal to Bangalore is being 4 laned. So you wouldn't save anytime on it.

As everyone suggested take the right at Attibele junction and go through Sarjapur and then the ORR either till Peenya or srikanth's route via Yelahanka.
Old 5th December 2008, 22:45   #17
BANNED

I might sound like a stuck record / spoilsport but during the day, it is fastest to go through the city. And get onto NICE Road (from wherever convenient). The ORR is a mess during the day (from experience).

Last edited by hrag : 5th December 2008 at 22:49.
Old 5th December 2008, 23:36   #18

Mumbai - Chennai - back (diwali)

Hi

I drove down from Mumbai to chennai via vellore & back for diwali holidays

Chennai - bangalore is a breeze in 4 lane road, try reaching bangalore either early morning or late night... I took 3 hours to cross bangalore (4 pm entry - 7 pm exit).. Bangalore to Hubli 4 lane road is under construction in patches..will take 7 - 8 hours Hubli to Mumbai is 4 lane and you can cover the same in 7 hours
maylsamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2009, 17:57   #19
BHPian

Chennai - Pune : Route queries

I need to take my car from Chennai to Pune around end June

Am planning to stick to the GQ road (Chennai - Vellore- Krishnagiri- Hosur - Bangalore and then NH4 all the way to Pune)
Am thinking of starting from Chennai on a Friday afternoon, hang out with friends in Bangalore and Friday evening and start off from bangalore by 7-8 AM next day to make it to pune by night

Would avoid driving by night as I'll be the only one in the car and I tend to get bored & subsequently sleepy if driving alone

How are the road conditions and is this a fair plan ?
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai to Pune/Mumbai : Route Queries-clipboard02.jpg  

Old 29th May 2009, 19:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

THis is a good route and the fair plan. Except for 100km (Chitradurga to Ranibennur), entire route is 4 laned.

Abhi
Old 29th May 2009, 22:56   #21
BHPian

Just did this sector 2 days back and excellent roads throughout except some diversions between Chitradurga & Haveri as already stated by Abhi. Only problem you would face would be from Hosur to Bangalore as you'll be reaching during peak traffic hours. It took me 3 hrs for 40 kms to reach Tumkur Road from Hosur via Silk Board & Outer Ring Road.
Old 30th May 2009, 09:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_dog_lover View Post
Just did this sector 2 days back and excellent roads throughout except some diversions between Chitradurga & Haveri as already stated by Abhi. Only problem you would face would be from Hosur to Bangalore as you'll be reaching during peak traffic hours. It took me 3 hrs for 40 kms to reach Tumkur Road from Hosur via Silk Board & Outer Ring Road.
Andy, there is a solution for that as well. he can take Attibele - Sarjapur - ORR onto Tumkur Road.
But he has already said he is coming to stay in bangalore and hangout so not much of issue here.

In addition, If your destination in bangalore is East or North, then I would suggest to take Attibele - Sarjapur route.

Abhi
Old 30th May 2009, 10:17   #23
BHPian

There is another solution to that. Instead coming to Bangalore take the Jigani Route/Bannerghata National Park. After entering into the KA border you need to take left. Then after before Meenakshi Temple you will get left Cut join NICE road. This road will avoid all the City Congetion. But only prob is you need to pay the Tool Charge. But it is worth at current condition. You will save time and petrol.

Hosur-Attibele-Bomasandra Indutrial Are- Bannerghata - Nice Road.

Last edited by arin_12 : 30th May 2009 at 10:22.
Old 1st June 2009, 11:30   #24
BHPian

Thanks for the advice on skipping bangalore altogether
However, wouldn't NICE rd get me to the Mysore road...While I need to get on to NH4
Old 1st June 2009, 12:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
Thanks for the advice on skipping bangalore altogether
However, wouldn't NICE rd get me to the Mysore road...While I need to get on to NH4
Yes, it will take you to mysore road,from there another toll way will take you to NH4. But in this case you cannot stop over in Bangalore. I would suggest a stop over as driving 18 hours non stop alone is not really a great thing to do.

BTW, which part of Bangalore you intend to stay? The onward journey towards Pune depends on that. I live in Koramangala and drive to Pune often, atleast once in two months. And it is a breeze. Mark 11-12 hours of your time for this travel despite all the diversions and you will enjoy the drive.

Nainar
Old 30th January 2012, 12:55   #26
BHPian

Chennai to Pune Route

I am relocating to Pune. For a change I have decided to travel by Road. I have never undertaken a long journey by myself. I hope this journey will initiate me to take more challenging trips in future.
  • I have done a few search in the forum. I believe, the best route is to go Chennai-BLR-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Davangere-Dharvar-Belgaum-Kohlapur-Satara-Pune. Is this the best route?
  • Has anyone traveled recently to Pune from Chennai?
  • What time should I start from Chennai? I am a careful driver and don't exceed 80 Kmph.
  • Are there any tricky ghats on the way?
  • From What I can gather is that, this trip cannot be done in a day. I am travelling with Family. So what places should I halt so that there is a decent hotel (not costly)?
  • What tools should I carry? Any standard checklist that I should use just before the trip and during the trip? In case of any emergency, what numbers can travellers contact?
  • I have a mapmyindia GPS. Will this be of use?

I have a Scorpio 4x4 Automatic and a Baleno. I plan to send Baleno through packers and use the Scorpio for the drive.

Thanks for reading.
Old 30th January 2012, 13:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai to Pune Route

If you have MMI GPS just check if you have the latest maps and enter the destination, and Whoa it will take you there. I have found MMI to be ~90% correct in terms of recommending the correct route in terms of using city/town bypass etc.

Google maps suggests this one

Chennai-Bangalore-Tumkur-Dharwad-Belgaon-Kolhapur-Satara-Pune (~1150 Kms). Should be good one from the looks of it, as its GQ all the way.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 14:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

GQ all the way from Chennai to Pune. 4 Lane road for 95% of the distance. So you shouldn't have a problem in terms of road conditions(mostly). For more minute updates check out this thread. Will give info on Bangalore to Pune.

Bangalore to Mumbai

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...teries-72.html

Chennai to Bangalore here is the thread with the latest info

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...galore-45.html

Lot of 6 laning activity between Vellore and Hosur.

You will need to start as early as you can. Try to do it on a Saturday. You will beat some amount of mad traffic in Hosur and Bangalore.

I would strongly suggest that you take the NICE corridor as soon as you cross Electronic City in Bangalore. This will save you a lot of time.

No tricky ghats. Its all 4 lane anyway.

At your speed 1 day is tough.

I believe there is a standard checklist for trips. But check the usual. Give your car for service or get it checked for oil/brake/air pressure/spare tyre/jack. Carry a torch and old newspapers.

Yes the GPS will be helpful. Follow the Golden Quadrilateral route and you should be ok.

Simplest map would be this: Welcome to NHAI
csentil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 14:14   #29
BHPian

This route is extremely boring with endless straights. It is very much possible to do it in 1 day but since this is your first long drive, I would not suggest you do that. You can split the journey if you wish(highly recommended).

The route can induce sleep while driving so be sure that you sleep well before the drive, carry some fast music, rest if required. If you feel sleepy have chewing gum / mango mood(candy) / redbull / coffee. But ultimately, it is a powernap which will help you the most.

Ironically, I think the Baleno would be more fun and faster on this route. And sticking to 80kmph, though legal, can get frustrating after a while so you will automatically/unknowingly speed up. Don't control the urge too much since 100-105 is also a good cruise speed (as long as you are not in the vicinity of Bangalore).

Finally, Drive safe, wear your seat belt!
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 14:36   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have done a few search in the forum. I believe, the best route is to go Chennai-BLR-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Davangere-Dharvar-Belgaum-Kohlapur-Satara-Pune. Is this the best route?
Be on the GQ throughout the route and you should be good. Chennai - Bangalore is good as always and Bangalore - Pune (NH4) is quite a delight to drive on.

But, can get monotonous as it's almost entirely 4-lane and straight.

Quote:
What time should I start from Chennai? I am a careful driver and don't exceed 80 Kmph.
Quote:
Are there any tricky ghats on the way?
None. The 1 ghat that was there earlier now has a tunnel for the Bangalore - Pune lane. The opposite lane traffic still takes the ghat though.

Quote:
From What I can gather is that, this trip cannot be done in a day. I am travelling with Family. So what places should I halt so that there is a decent hotel (not costly)?
If you can drive ~16 hours, you can pretty much do the drive in a day. Due to the nature of the road and weather, it's not tiring. If you must halt, you could take a pit stop at Belgaum or Kolhapur.

Quote:
What tools should I carry? Any standard checklist that I should use just before the trip and during the trip?
Well, have the car serviced. Tools - basic ones. The NH4 goes through a lot of towns; so you would find help in case of unfortunate breakdowns.

Quote:
I have a mapmyindia GPS. Will this be of use?
It's such a straight and well-marked road, you wouldn't need it.

Oh yea, and plenty restaurants (CCD, Kamath) and dhabas en route too.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks