Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 10:43   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Chennai to Pune/Mumbai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhangui View Post
Is there any turn by turn instructions to get into the NICE ring road while coming from Chennai, so that one can hit NH4? I am getting confused on getting into the service lane instead of BETL.
Here is what you do:

- Once you hit the BETL toll gate, dont go through the gate.
- Get on the extreme left of the toll gate side. (If you take the right of the toll gate, you enter the main NH7 and go towards the city from which there is
no exit to NICE road.
- So once you pass the toll gate you will see the service road on the extreme left.
- On going further 1.5-2km you would see the NICE road exit. Its easy to spot it.
Because you would see the NICE road flyover perpendicular to NH7 one level below the BETL.

Watch this link in Google satellite mode and you will know: link

Last edited by ampere : 31st January 2012 at 10:55.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 10:47   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Here is what you do:

- Get on the extreme left of the toll gate side.
- So once you pass the toll gate you will see the service road on the extreme left.
- On going further 1.5-2km you would see the NICE road exit. Its easy to spot it. Because you would see th NICE road flyover perpendicular to NH7 one level below the BETL.
Thanks a ton. That is what I wanted. Now I have no confusion. I will record this part of the trip on my gps. From what you say, the key is not to go through the BETL toll gate.
Old 31st January 2012, 10:51   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is Chittoor Palmaner still bad. I will be driving to Pune from Chennai and I think this could save time by avoiding BLR. Is this advisable?

EDIT: I think I will avoid this route as I find that there are still some stretches that have potholes and also a ghat section near palmaner.
You are quoting a very old post of mine. As ampere said, stick to Krishnagiri (GQ) route. Taking Chitoor route will land you in K.R. Puram and from there you will have to take the ORR to reach NH4. Lot of time waste. Also Ranipet to Mulbagal is 2 lane and you will lose time.

As everyone quotes once you hit Electronic City stick to the left most, but not to the one that leads upto the ramp for the Elevated Highway. You will see the ramp for the NICE corridor a couple of kms after the first ramp. If you miss it still take a U-turn and come back to it. DO NOT try to go into Bangalore city unless you want to experience Bangalore traffic and kill a couple of hours!!
csentil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 11:32   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post
My personal favorite stop on this route is chitradurga, splits your journey into 2. You can get in by the evening of the first day and catch the night illumination of the fort and then see the fort (and the famous monkey man!!) in the morning and then continue on to bombay to reach by the evening. Its a good way to do it with family.
Quote:
@root, He mentions he drives sedate. I am not sure if he can make it that far. I would say even Hubli would make a stretch goal.

@Seek, @Ampere - I Stand corrected as Kolhapur is too far for a sedate drive. The only reason I mentioned that was that on a two day trip, it is nice to have a shorter distance to do on the second day (you could then get up a little late too on day 2.

Quote:
Is Chittoor Palmaner still bad.
@mbhangui - Just did Chittoor-Palamner two days back. Would prefer Krishnagiri route especially if on a long drive. You may want to read on this journey as well as the really good advice I received for the same here.
root is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 12:26   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is Chittoor Palmaner still bad. I will be driving to Pune from Chennai and I think this could save time by avoiding BLR. Is this advisable?
Here is my trip report from December, the other way (Bangalore-Chennai):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2606583

I personally think it is not advisable, as you will not use the NICE Ring Road to bypass Bangalore.
Old 31st January 2012, 13:45   #51
BHPian

Based on valuable feedback from so many members, I have more or less finalized the trip. This is how it looks on google maps. Thank you everyone for helping out.

Chennai to Pune Trip - Google Maps
Old 31st January 2012, 14:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is what you do:

- Get on the extreme left of the toll gate side. (If you take the right of the toll gate, you enter the main NH7 and go towards the city from which there is
no exit to NICE road.
- On going further 1.5-2km you would see the NICE road exit. Its easy to spot it.
Because you would see the NICE road flyover perpendicular to NH7 one level below the BETL.

Watch this link in Google satellite mode and you will know: link
Quote:
Thanks a ton. That is what I wanted. Now I have no confusion. I will record this part of the trip on my gps. From what you say, the key is not to go through the BETL toll gate.
Yes, please follow the instructions given in the first post to the T. I missed the service lane and got on to the BETL on my Goa drive this weekend and had to go through silkboard, BTM and Bannerghatta road before getting back to the NICE road. Lost a couple of hours in that . Also after you get on to the Tumkur road (NH4), make sure that you stick to the right and enter the NH via the toll. I landed up taking the non toll road which was piled up with traffic and it was frustrating to see vehicles moving fast ahead in the next 2 lanes . Could get on to the toll road only after about 10kms or so.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 15:00   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Also after you get on to the Tumkur road (NH4), make sure that you stick to the right and enter the NH via the toll. I landed up taking the non toll road which was piled up with traffic and it was frustrating to see vehicles moving fast ahead in the next 2 lanes . Could get on to the toll road only after about 10kms or so.
Now that is another piece of very valuable advice. Noting this down in my trip planner
Old 31st January 2012, 20:17   #54
Senior - BHPian

Dont even think about going through Palamner / Chitoor. the Krishnagiri route is a 4 lane and you would do well over 80kmph. The only problem area is the Ghats after Krishnagiri Toll where you would find overloaded trucks trying to overtake each other and blocking all lanes. Other than this. You are good.

Major advantage is access toTumkur Road via NICE Road, which may not be possible via Chitoor.

Do not look at the 30 kms more, time wise you would save nearly 3 hrs if you go via hosur-Nice-Tumkur
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 20:55   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also after you get on to the Tumkur road (NH4), make sure that you stick to the right and enter the NH via the toll. I landed up taking the non toll road which was piled up with traffic and it was frustrating to see vehicles moving fast ahead in the next 2 lanes . Could get on to the toll road only after about 10kms or so.
Quote:
Now that is another piece of very valuable advice. Noting this down in my trip planner

That is a very good point Arvind.

@mbhangui Once you exit from NICE road on to Tumkur road be on the right most lane of the NH4 This will give entry to the toll road till Nelamanaga. The non-toll road is full of trucks and can cause huge delays.

Check the link in satellite mode. link

Google does not route through the toll gate. A closure look and you will know how to shift to the toll gate.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 10:53   #56
BHPian

I have been reading all possible posts on this travel. Found lot of gold in the Bangalore to Mumbai trip section.

Now comes the point of sudden speadbreakers between BLR and Pune

First set: Between Chitradurga and Davanagere
Second Set:Near Hirebagewadi toll

Any speed breaker between Chennai to BLR that can catch drivers by surprise?
Old 1st February 2012, 11:39   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been reading all possible posts on this travel. Found lot of gold in the Bangalore to Mumbai trip section.

Now comes the point of sudden speadbreakers between BLR and Pune

First set: Between Chitradurga and Davanagere
Second Set:Near Hirebagewadi toll

Any speed breaker between Chennai to BLR that can catch drivers by surprise?
As far as I remember, there are no unmarked speed breakers on the CHN-BLR route. I encountered two unmarked ones on the Tumkur - Hubli stretch though. Might be the ones which you have talked about. Both are nasty ones and catch you completely by surprise. The Endeavour does not take kindly to such bumps
Old 1st February 2012, 11:46   #58
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I remember, there are no unmarked speed breakers on the CHN-BLR route.
Thank god for that

Quote:
I encountered two unmarked ones on the Tumkur - Hubli stretch though. Might be the ones which you have talked about. Both are nasty ones and catch you completely by surprise. The Endeavour does not take kindly to such bumps
Yes that is the one I am talking about. Earlier there were three I believe and one has been removed. The speed breakers are for the convenience/safety of the bipeds and quadrupeds from the nearby villages who enforce their territorial right.
Old 1st February 2012, 12:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Earlier there were three I believe and one has been removed. The speed breakers are for the convenience/safety of the bipeds and quadrupeds from the nearby villages who enforce their territorial right.
When I drove back from Pune to Bangalore in early January, they were in the process of making more speed-breakers in the Haveri-Davangere-Chitradurga stretch - be careful as some of these are unexpected. It is important to be slow on these sections of the highway.
root is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 15:18   #60
BHPian

Quote:
That is a very good point Arvind.

@mbhangui Once you exit from NICE road on to Tumkur road be on the right most lane of the NH4 This will give entry to the toll road till Nelamanaga. The non-toll road is full of trucks and can cause huge delays.

Check the link in satellite mode. link

Google does not route through the toll gate. A closure look and you will know how to shift to the toll gate.
Not only will you hit truck traffic in the non-toll road but you will also hit some nasty speed-breakers, the types that are high and broad! So make sure you get on to the toll road by sticking to the right.
Seek is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks