Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:19   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
Thanks Ampere! I'm starting from B'lore airport. Have booked a zoomcar for the drive to Coorg. Which route should be considered out of the two? Sorry but I'm new to B'lore and not sure whether the airport is to the north or south
The north bangalore route. You wouldn't need to enter bangalore city. Just drive down to hebbal, take the outer ring road to yeshwantpur (ORR seems to end here), turn right and hit tumkur road till nelamangala.

From there, please follow the route suggested by ampere.

Edit - Just noticed that ampere has replied to you in his earlier post itself. On second thought, please take that route through Doddaballapur as suggested by him instead of hebbal (specially if you are travelling during traffic hours). You wouldn't even feel like you are in a city like bangalore!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd September 2014 at 10:26.
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are starting from north Bangalore, then: Nelamangala-Kunigal-CR Patna-Holenarasipur-Arkalgud-Somwarpet-Madikeri.
Hey Amp - I am not sure about the road conditions b/w H. Narasipura and Madikeri. Traditionally, that road has been bad. I would still recommend SH-17. What do you say?
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:08   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hey Amp - I am not sure about the road conditions b/w H. Narasipura and Madikeri. Traditionally, that road has been bad. I would still recommend SH-17. What do you say?
Oh it has changed dramatically over years.

See this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3258279
Old 2nd September 2014, 17:09   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
Yes I'm looking for directions to Madikeri. The Mahindra resort to be specific.
Do note that there are two Club Mahindra properties around Coorg. Do check out the directions you receive is for the correct one.
Old 2nd September 2014, 23:59   #50
BHPian

Quote:
If you are starting from north Bangalore, then: Nelamangala-Kunigal-CR Patna-Holenarasipur-Arkalgud-Somwarpet-Madikeri.

If you start from south Bangalore the conventional Mysore/Hunsur road. Just plan the timing to beat the traffic if on a (long) weekend.
How long does it take approx to reach madikeri through mysore/hunsur road? Consider sedate driving.
Old 3rd September 2014, 00:43   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post
How long does it take approx to reach madikeri through mysore/hunsur road? Consider sedate driving.
If the Mysore road traffic is clear, you should be able to make it in 5 to 5.5 hours. If the Mysore road has high traffic make that time to 6. That would one break for food.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:38   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Thats north Bangalore. In fact in that case you do: Devanahalli-Doddaballpur-Nelamangala-Kunigal-CR Patna-Holenarasipur-Arkalgud-Somwarpet-Madikeri
You dont even need to get into Bangalore city! Here is the link:
Thanks a lot Ampere for the detailed route and the map. Saved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
. You wouldn't even feel like you are in a city like bangalore!
Thanks CrAzY dRiVeR! Having heard a lot about Bangalore's traffic situation and a dedicated thread for the same, this sounds assuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Do check out the directions you receive is for the correct one.
Thanks for pointing this out mpksuhas. Double-checked and I'm looking at the right hotel. The other one is in Virajpet I guess
Old 4th September 2014, 09:30   #53
BHPian

Hi,
I will be travelling to from Bangalore to Coorg on 2nd October. Will be flying to Bangalore and then driving from the airport to Coorg. My destination is near Gonikoppal. Any suggestions on the route to take and road conditions.
My two year kid is travelling along and hence may require a couple of halts. Would be reaching Bangalore at 9am. How heavy will the traffic be at that time? What is the estimated journey time?
Old 4th September 2014, 10:03   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_d1106 View Post
Hi,
I will be travelling to from Bangalore to Coorg on 2nd October. Will be flying to Bangalore and then driving from the airport to Coorg. My destination is near Gonikoppal. Any suggestions on the route to take and road conditions.
My two year kid is travelling along and hence may require a couple of halts. Would be reaching Bangalore at 9am. How heavy will the traffic be at that time? What is the estimated journey time?
Hi ,

Route 1: Outer ring road - NICE road - Mysore road - Mysore - Hunsur - Gonikoppal .
2nd Oct should be relatively free and should be OK.
estimate about 7 hrs from airport to Gonikoppal .

Route 2 : airport - yelhanka - kunigal - channarayapatna - periyapatna - gonikoppal - single road , less traffic .

safe drive
Fortuner71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 16:41   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_d1106 View Post
Hi,
Check out this posthttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3343231 by @ampere for a similar query. You can byepass Bangalore and Mysore using this route.
Old 3rd November 2014, 19:35   #56
BHPian

I just went thru hell last weekend.
Blore - Madikeri:
Started to Madikeri from jayanagar 9th block at 3.00 PM on 31st October.
Decision: We decided to NH209(via kanakpura) to avoid the traffic and speed breakers on Mysore road and also friday weekend crowd.
Route (followed google maps): Blore - Kanakpura - Malavalli - Bannur - Mysore ORR - Kushal Nagar - Madikeri
Road Status : Malavalli - Mysore on SH33 is under renovation with unexpected craters. My rightside front wheel took a hit damaging the steel rim. It was HELL
Verdict : Please avoid this route at any cost ( a strict NO after daylight). If there is a way to avoid SH33 and connect to mysore take that.

Madikeri - Blore:
From madikeri we came down to bylakuppe to visit tibetan camp. We started back to blore after lunch at 3.00 PM on 2nd November. One more car (Alto) joined us in the return trip.
Decision: Alto guy joined us on 1st Nov morning. he took blore-mysore road and was cribbing all the time about the traffic. So again Mysore road a big NO. This time we chose the NH48 (channarayapattana-neelamangala route). Also our assumption was nothing can be worse than Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore road.
Route (again blindly followed Google maps): Kushal Nagar - Konanur - Ramananthapura - Haradanahalli - Holenarasipur - Channarayapattana - Kunigal - Nelamangala - Blore
Road Status:
Kushal Nagar-Konanur (SH91) : Pretty good road but there are lots of speed breakers.
Konanur-Ramananthapura : Under renovation, no tarmac, only gravel and mud. We were worried. Just before ramananthapura junction road was good.
Ramananthapura-Haradanahalli : Why we took this route. Followed google maps blindly, if we had viewed the map zoomed out we could have found out google is taking us to a longer route. So called SH85, literally no road, full of craters. After travelling few kms i called Hoda city guy(who was behind me) to go back and find another route. Since network coverage was bad we decided to take the road. The term HELL got new definition. Malavalli-Mysore was heaven by any standards compared to this road. We could have avoided this stretch and should have taken arakalgud route (
Haradanahalli-Holenarasipur: Single road but awesome SH with no traffic, no speed breakers(except for cattle) and scenic.
Holenarasipur-Channarayapattana: First 2kms scared us as there was only gravel and reminded us SH85 again and worse that there is no daylight. But after that 2kms the road is OK. Not bad, single road, old one and passes thru villages.
NH48 -
Verdict:
  • Dont blindly follow google, if you have any doubt ask the locals.
  • Check on the routes before the trip. We could have avoided SH85 if we would have looked at the complete route on a laptop rather than on a mobile.
  • Check team-bhp route suggestions and understand the route completely on the map before starting.

Last edited by kiranvakati : 3rd November 2014 at 19:58.
kiranvakati is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 10:09   #57
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranvakati View Post
I just went thru hell last weekend.
Blore - Madikeri:
... Verdict : Please avoid this route at any cost ( a strict NO after daylight). If there is a way to avoid SH33 and connect to mysore take that.

Madikeri - Blore:...
Thanks for the update!

One option for Mysore avoiding Mysore Road and the Malavalli-Bannur stretch is to take Bangalore-Nelamangala-NH48-Bellur Cross-Nagamangala-Pandavpura-Srirangapattana-Mysore

For Madikeri-Bangalore - you could have taken Somwarpet-Shanivarasanthe-Arkalgud-Mallipatna-Holenarasipura-Channarayapatna-Bangalore, just one small 1.5 Km bad stretch in Holenarasipura.

Since you went to Kushal Nagar/Bylakuppe, you could have taken Kushal Nagar-Shanivarasanthe and then taken above route, but not sure how that road is.

Quote:
Verdict:
  • Dont blindly follow google, if you have any doubt ask the locals.
  • Check on the routes before the trip. We could have avoided SH85 if we would have looked at the complete route on a laptop rather than on a mobile.
  • Check team-bhp route suggestions and understand the route completely on the map before starting.
Loved this

Last edited by NPV : 4th November 2014 at 10:11.
Old 4th November 2014, 10:39   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
One option for Mysore avoiding Mysore Road and the Malavalli-Bannur stretch is to take Bangalore-Nelamangala-NH48-Bellur Cross-Nagamangala-Pandavpura-Srirangapattana-Mysore
Does not work all the time. If you are starting from South Bangalore, its a big big round about. You may gain traffic free roads, but there are still humps and you added one hour of commute thanks to extra distance. In this case the only option is start early take Mysore road and beat the traffic.

Quote:
For Madikeri-Bangalore - you could have taken Somwarpet-Shanivarasanthe-Arkalgud-Mallipatna-Holenarasipura-Channarayapatna-Bangalore, just one small 1.5 Km bad stretch in Holenarasipura.
This is the default option. Dont know, why he took the other road? (Thanks to Google I guess).
Old 27th November 2014, 20:01   #59
BHPian

Dear friends,
I will have to drive probably from Malleshwaram to Madikeri (Taj resort , monnengeri ) sometime in future ....may be in couple of months ...will be starting from Bangalore by around 9am. what would be the better route to reach Madikeri faster? I have two options....Via Mandya (mysore road) and via BLR-MLR highway taking deviation at Channarayapatna.... Which road is better. I may have to stop once for breakfast.
Old 13th January 2015, 17:33   #60
BHPian

Hi

I am planning to goto Madikeri from Benson Town in sha Allah this weekend. I have been to Madikeri many times before and always been taking the Mysore Road. But the Bangalore - Mysore road is full of traffic in the weekends and the Humps compound the situation.

I was checking Google maps for route options. The Mysore Road to Madikeri it shows 261kms and the Benson Town Nelmangala - Kunigal NH 48 to Madikeri is 277kms. Which is not much of a difference. I would need some help on the road conditions of NH 48? Is it a faster option to take? I would be starting early in the morning hence the city traffic is not an issue and moreover the outer ring road is very close to Benson Town.

Pls give your suggestions.

Thanks

Sameer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks