Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2015, 18:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Hi

I am planning to goto Madikeri from Benson Town in sha Allah this weekend. I have been to Madikeri many times before and always been taking the Mysore Road. But the Bangalore - Mysore road is full of traffic in the weekends and the Humps compound the situation.

I was checking Google maps for route options. The Mysore Road to Madikeri it shows 261kms and the Benson Town Nelmangala - Kunigal NH 48 to Madikeri is 277kms. Which is not much of a difference. I would need some help on the road conditions of NH 48? Is it a faster option to take? I would be starting early in the morning hence the city traffic is not an issue and moreover the outer ring road is very close to Benson Town.

Pls give your suggestions.

Thanks

Sameer
If early morning,I would stick to Mysore road,plenty of eating options as well.
Old 13th January 2015, 23:52   #62
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was checking Google maps for route options. The Mysore Road to Madikeri it shows 261kms and the Benson Town Nelmangala - Kunigal NH 48 to Madikeri is 277kms. Which is not much of a difference. I would need some help on the road conditions of NH 48? Is it a faster option to take? I would be starting early in the morning hence the city traffic is not an issue and moreover the outer ring road is very close to Benson Town.
If you go via NH48, I'm assuming you will take Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Holenarsipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri.
Note that 4 lane section is only up to Channarayapatna then you need to turn off towards Holenarsipura. After that roads are good and has less traffic but your speeds will be lower, more scenic and twisty route too.

Now, to get to NH48 from Benson town I think best bet is to go via Mekhri circle, Yeshwanthpur and you're on Tumkur Road NH 4. Proceed straight upto Nelamangala and take the left turn off to NH 48, look for Mangalore signage.

If you're starting early, take Mysore Road as @ranjit mentioned.

Last edited by NPV : 13th January 2015 at 23:55.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 11:52   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

I had taken the Hassan - Gorur - Arkalagund - Somwarapet - Madikeri route few months back. It is a welcome break if you are bored and irritated of Bangalore - Mysore road. Else I would suggest not to take this route, Hassan - Gorur section is in bad shape, however Arkalagund onwards till Madikeri roads are mostly in good condition.

Since you will be taking Channarayapatna-Holenarsipura road conditions are not to be worried about, however it is compared to Mysore route a slow one.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 12:41   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you go via NH48, I'm assuming you will take Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Holenarsipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri.
Note that 4 lane section is only up to Channarayapatna then you need to turn off towards Holenarsipura. After that roads are good and has less traffic but your speeds will be lower, more scenic and twisty route too.

Now, to get to NH48 from Benson town I think best bet is to go via Mekhri circle, Yeshwanthpur and you're on Tumkur Road NH 4. Proceed straight upto Nelamangala and take the left turn off to NH 48, look for Mangalore signage.

If you're starting early, take Mysore Road as @ranjit mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I had taken the Hassan - Gorur - Arkalagund - Somwarapet - Madikeri route few months back. It is a welcome break if you are bored and irritated of Bangalore - Mysore road. Else I would suggest not to take this route, Hassan - Gorur section is in bad shape, however Arkalagund onwards till Madikeri roads are mostly in good condition.

Since you will be taking Channarayapatna-Holenarsipura road conditions are not to be worried about, however it is compared to Mysore route a slow one.
As rightly mentioned I am plain irritated with the Bangalore - Mysore Highway as its always crowded. Though it has 4 lanes with a divider in between the lanes are not as big as the GQ 4 lanes. Its actually 2 lanes. All the towns on the way are not bypassed. Then I take the Mysore ring road to reach the Hunsur - Madikeri road which is in bad shape and semi complete for years.

Hence for these reasons I was looking at other options, I would take the Nelamangala - Channarayapatra - Somwarapet Road as it would be a change from the usual Mysore road. Google Maps lists out the times as well, for Benson Town - Madikeri via Mysore Road it shows 5 hours 39 mins for 261 kms whereas via NH 48 Nelamangala Road it shows 5 hours 4 mins for 276 kms. From Benson Town reaching the Tumkur Road is much easier than Mysore Road. Sometimes I use to take a round about through Hosur Road - NICE to reach Mysore Road from Benson Town to avoid the chaos.
Old 18th January 2015, 18:12   #65
Senior - BHPian

Update from Banglore -Mysore-
Kushalnagar- Siddapura.

Banglore- Mysore ORR .
Except for the speed breakers and traffic the roads are good.
Mysore ORR to Kushalnagar.
The roads are in good condition. The road shoulders are good.
The traffic is quite heavy and lots of speed breakers manageable in the daytime. Night time speed breaker visibility is poor.
Kushalnagar- Siddapura.
Roads are in good conditions.
A small stretch about half a kilometer is being relaid about 5kms before you reach Siddapura town from Kushalnagar
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 17:28   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would take the Nelamangala - Channarayapatra - Somwarapet Road as it would be a change from the usual Mysore road.
Did you take this route? If so how was it as far as road conditions are concerned.
I was planning this route any feedback on road conditions? https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Pr...97305!2d12.467
Old 27th January 2015, 17:46   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Did you take this route? If so how was it as far as road conditions are concerned.
I was planning this route any feedback on road conditions?

Hi

I took this route Bangalore Nelamangala Chanrayapatna Holenarasipur Arakalagud Somwarpet Madikere.

Upto Chanarayapatna its NH48 hence dual carriageway. The roads are excellent with very little traffic. Except for 1 flyover the entire stretch is free of road works. From Chanarayapatna need to take the left towards Holenarasipur. The roads from here are state highways. The roads are in good condition. One can maintain a speed of 80kmph. As the roads pass thru a lot of villages there are humps but still the traffic is sparse hence the distance is covered fast. There is a bad stretch of about 3 kms just before Arakalagud. The road is not yet laid hence it is a gravel road.I negotiated it very slowly. Apart from this stretch the rest of the roads are fine.

In the link you have posted the route is via Kushalnagar, which is a bit longer. Select the route via Somwarpet. Google maps gives you the option to select it.

Overall this road is a very good alternative to reach Madikeri from North Bangalore. If one is looking for traffic and stress free driving this is the route to take. I covered the entire distance in 4 hours and 30 mins with 1 stop of 30mins for breakfast at Cafe Kamat before Kunigal. Between Kunigal and Chanarayapatna there are quiet a few options for food.

Via Mysore Road it takes 6 hours to reach Madikeri. The traffic is worst. Its like driving inside the city. On my return sector I took this road as I started around noon and was proceeding to Chennai, upto Bangalore the traffic was crazy. It took 7 hours to reach Nice Road.
sameer sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 18:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a bad stretch of about 3 kms just before Arakalagud. The road is not yet laid hence it is a gravel road.I negotiated it very slowly. Apart from this stretch the rest of the roads are fine.
This stretch is not before Arakalagud but before Holenarasipura. There is a way to avoid this 3 km bad stretch. I have explained it in this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-info-12.html
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 09:51   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I took this route Bangalore Nelamangala Chanrayapatna Holenarasipur Arakalagud Somwarpet Madikere.

Upto Chanarayapatna its NH48 hence dual carriageway. The roads are excellent with very little traffic. Except for 1 flyover the entire stretch is free of road works. From Chanarayapatna need to take the left towards Holenarasipur. The roads from here are state highways. The roads are in good condition. One can maintain a speed of 80kmph. As the roads pass thru a lot of villages there are humps but still the traffic is sparse hence the distance is covered fast. There is a bad stretch of about 3 kms just before Arakalagud. The road is not yet laid hence it is a gravel road.I negotiated it very slowly. Apart from this stretch the rest of the roads are fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
This stretch is not before Arakalagud but before Holenarasipura. There is a way to avoid this 3 km bad stretch. I have explained it in this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-info-12.html
Thanks guys. so now the road to Madikeri is Neelamangala > C'patna > Holenarsipur via 121 and 102 > Arakalagud > S'Santhe > Somwarpet > Kumboor > SH 27 > Madikere. 284 kms and a bit above 5 hours.
Old 16th February 2015, 11:45   #70
BHPian

Was on the way back from Kukke Subramanya through Madikeri. All was good until we left Coorg district and entered Mysore district. I counted 113 (lower-limit) speed breakers from thereon until the NICE road intersection on Mysore road. Quite a few of them are at the points where town limits are entered/left, but damn.
Old 11th June 2015, 13:12   #71
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning a 5 day outing to Madikeri, Coorg.

The plan is:
Sun 14th - Reach Bangalore - Pick up Zoom Car (Figo/Amaze)- meet friends and family
Mon 15th - Start for Coorg and stay till 19th. The main purpose of this outing is relaxation. We might go out for sight seeing for a day or two [Tala Cauvery and the Tibetan Monastery are definitely on the list].

I am new to Bangalore, can someone suggest me the best route in terms of road surface. I can't speak or read Kannada, would it be difficult to ask for directions if needed?

I have driven to Matheran, Mahabaleshwar, Lavassa, Goa (via Amboli ghat and gagan bawda), Tarkarli and Diveagar (via Tamhini ghat), I have done 40K plus Km in my Ritz petrol over a period of 3 years. How challenging could be the road to Coorg from Bangalore considering the Terrain and Monsoon.
Old 11th June 2015, 14:10   #72
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzvxi View Post
I am new to Bangalore, can someone suggest me the best route in terms of road surface. I can't speak or read Kannada, would it be difficult to ask for directions if needed?

I have driven to Matheran, Mahabaleshwar, Lavassa, Goa (via Amboli ghat and gagan bawda), Tarkarli and Diveagar (via Tamhini ghat), I have done 40K plus Km in my Ritz petrol over a period of 3 years. How challenging could be the road to Coorg from Bangalore considering the Terrain and Monsoon.
Bangalore-Coorg (Madikeri) should not be a problem terrain wise, of course the monsoon could mean heavy rains, so that's the only variable in the equation.
Route - you can do Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri, good roads all the way and straight forward route. Bangalore-Mysore has lots of speed breakers and now some replaced by barricades but if you start early you can give a miss to all those speedy maniacs who can make the drive more uncomfortable during peak hours.
Also Bangalore-Mysore is a treat for the taste buds, several food and break options enroute

Alternate route is to take the Hassan/Mangalore highway and go via Channarayapatna-Arkalgud-Somwarpet-Madikeri. Somwarpet-Madikeri has sparse traffic and some good twisties, treat to drive

If you have maps on phone or a GPS navigation device, it would help just in case you travel to other places around coorg and need guidance (in case of heavy rain you may not find people on the roads to ask for directions).

Last edited by NPV : 11th June 2015 at 14:12.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 15:18   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Alternate route is to take the Hassan/Mangalore highway and go via Channarayapatna-Arkalgud-Somwarpet-Madikeri. Somwarpet-Madikeri has sparse traffic and some good twisties, treat to drive
Thank you for the valuable inputs NPV. By some twist of fate , I could only get the zoomcar for Monday (15th June) morning [Pickup point - Jakkur]. So now taking the Hassan/Manglore is the most convenient option.

Any information on the Hassan/Manglore route would be helpful.

Also any recommendations for home stay/Hotel options with a budget of around (3-5K) per night in Madikeri would be welcome!
Old 12th June 2015, 18:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

Ritzvi - did you try the CarsonRent - i heard they also do self drive rentals.

There is a separate thread on stay and resort options at Coorg. You'll find lots of details there.

Since you are leaving on the monday morning, it still makes sense to take the tried and tested Blr-Mysore--Hunsur-Madikeri roads. You'll be good.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 00:50   #75
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzvxi View Post
Also any recommendations for home stay/Hotel options with a budget of around (3-5K) per night in Madikeri would be welcome!
Try Mayura Valley View in Madikeri should be in your 3-5k budget.
If your car pickup is early morning, from Jakkur you can get back via Mekhri circle turn right towards Yeshwanthpur and get onto NH 4 and then turn left at Nelamamgala, look for Mangalore signage for the turn off to Hassan/Mangalore highway.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks