re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Take #2 if you can start by 5-5:30am.

If starting later, I'd suggest you take #1
Thanks NPV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post

We returned back to Bangalore on a Saturday and decided to take the Madikeri - Kushalnagar - Kudige - Ramanathapura - Arklagud - Holenarasipur - CR Patna - Nelamangala route.

Though the distance is longer compared to the Mysore road, it was a very relaxing drive and took almost the same time.
I highly recommend this route for anyone staying in North or East Banglaore.
Thanks Blackbird! Hope the quality of the road between Kudige-CR Patna has not deteriorated much between July and now.

Can anybody share a more recent update regarding the condition of this stretch ("Kudige - Ramanathapura - Arklagud - Holenarasipur - CR Patna")? It would be really useful!

Cheers!
Old 8th September 2015, 19:59   #107
BHPian

Hi used this route two weeks ago. All good except for the small town stretch of some 4 to 5 km. Took me 6 hours including breaks to reach madikeri from old madras road..
sajanjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 20:59   #108
Senior - BHPian

What's the recommended route from Marathalli, Bangalore to CLub Mahindra, Madikeri?
Actually, I will be travelling from Bangalore to Kabini first and then to Coorg (via Hunsur) and then back to Bangalore.
Google maps shows this.

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-capture.jpg

So, should I take this route or the Mysore one? And if I take the Mysore route, should I take the Mysore bypass/ORR or drive through the city?
Old 24th September 2015, 21:35   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
What's the recommended route from Marathalli, Bangalore to CLub Mahindra, Madikeri?
Actually, I will be travelling from Bangalore to Kabini first and then to Coorg (via Hunsur) and then back to Bangalore.
Google maps shows this.

So, should I take this route or the Mysore one? And if I take the Mysore route, should I take the Mysore bypass/ORR or drive through the city?
To go to Madikeri, you can go via Mysore depending on when you are going there. If it is a 3 day weekend, then you can possibly refrain

I recently travel to Puttur and went via Mysore and then Madikeri. Superb road all throughout. Travelling to Mysore is much better now thanks to the collapsible barricades instead of the humps. You can bypass Mysore city by turning right at Columbia Asia and then onto the outer ring road. At one point you need to turn right again to NH275 which is 4 lane. This will then lead you to SH88 which is 2-lane but brilliant tarmac all the way. For food there are not many options after exiting Mysore until you reach Madikeri.
rohanak1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 09:03   #110
BHPian

Took the Blr-Kunigal-CR Patna-H Narsipura-Arakalgud-Konanur-Hebbale-Kushalnagar route to reach madikeri coorg.

Route condition:
Don't need to comment about Blr-CR Patna.

CR Patna to Arakalgud via H Narsipura is decent state highway with some speed breakers thrown in. It has very few bad stretches.

The 20+ km stretch between Arakalgud to Konanur is bad with lots of pot holes. It is only going to get worse with further rains. It was raining yesterday too! I have attached a map of the stretch that I took with the post.

Konanur to Kushalnagar is also decent but with lots of speed breakers!

The road between Kushalnagar to madikeri is good, but lots of traffic! So difficult to overtake bigger vehicles such as slow moving trucks and buses.

Overall, decent route. Did it in about 5 hrs including a 30 min break in CR Patna. Had a tough time finding a decent restaurant with toilets inside CR Patna town. In fact difficult to find anything decent for a toilet break after you get off the National Highway 48. Nevertheless, I intend to take same route on my way back to Bangalore.

Also, I ain't sure, if we can do the Blr-Madikeri stretch in 5 hrs including a 30 min break via the Mysore route. May be Rohan can comment based on his recent experience. Note: I started only at 9:30 am from Bangalore!

Hope this helps fellow travelers!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-1443411158997.jpg  

Last edited by naut : 28th September 2015 at 09:15. Reason: Updates
Old 28th September 2015, 11:04   #111
BHPian

Traveling to Virajapet from South Bangalore during Oct 2nd week. I am sure my question has been answered a ton of times previously, but I am not able to settle on one particular, solid answer. The only wrinkle in my plan is that I am visiting Nanjangud first, and then Virajapet. Please help me out with the complete route from Nanjangud to Virajapet. Thanks in advance.
Old 28th September 2015, 12:09   #112
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Traveling to Virajapet from South Bangalore during Oct 2nd week. I am sure my question has been answered a ton of times previously, but I am not able to settle on one particular, solid answer. The only wrinkle in my plan is that I am visiting Nanjangud first, and then Virajapet. Please help me out with the complete route from Nanjangud to Virajapet. Thanks in advance.
I think you would need to back track to Mysore and then take the Hunsur road.
Since Nanjangud-Mysore is not great, not sure if there are alternatives.

EDIT:Gmaps also show a route from Nanjangud via Hullahalli that reaches Hunsur directly without touching Mysore, not sure if this a viable option and how the road conditions are.

Last edited by NPV : 28th September 2015 at 12:12.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 13:26   #113
BHPian

Quote:

EDIT:Gmaps also show a route from Nanjangud via Hullahalli that reaches Hunsur directly without touching Mysore, not sure if this a viable option and how the road conditions are.
Thanks for the inputs on the backtracking part. So its, Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal then. Are these roads good? I drive a low GC (Honda City 2013) vehicle.
Old 28th September 2015, 16:00   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Thanks for the inputs on the backtracking part. So its, Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal then. Are these roads good? I drive a low GC (Honda City 2013) vehicle.
You can take Nanjangud-Hulahalli-Hampapura-Handpost-Hunsur. Route Link

Refer to Bhpian Binand's exploration of this route in This Post

Apart from a small bad stretch. Looks to be a good choice.

To your specific question Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal roads will be excellent.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 13:29   #115

Hi all, I am new to Bangalore and plan to go to Coorg on 9th October and return on 11th. Since i stay in electronic city i will be taking the NICE road - Mysore - Hunsur - Kushalnagar route. Plan to leave early morning at 5am so reaching Mysore should not be a problem.
Me and my wife plan to have breakfast at Kamath Madhuvana in Mysore. Now do we need to go through Mysore city in order to stop at Kamath Madhuvana or will it fall on the way if i take the right turn after Columbia Asia hospital thereby avoiding the city?.. Thanks!!
Old 6th October 2015, 14:29   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankush Bahri View Post
Hi all, I am new to Bangalore and plan to go to Coorg on 9th October and return on 11th. Since i stay in electronic city i will be taking the NICE road - Mysore - Hunsur - Kushalnagar route. Plan to leave early morning at 5am so reaching Mysore should not be a problem.
My question is that me and my wife plan to have breakfast at Kamath Madhuvana. Now do we need to go through Mysore city in order to stop at Kamath Madhuvana or will it fall on the way if i take the right turn after Columbia Asia hospital ?.. Thanks.
There are plenty of eateries in Bangalore - Mysore route. There are 2 Kamat on you left side around Chennapatna and one on your right side too. If you are not specific to Kamat, A2B is a better option (~Madhur).

For Kamath Madhuvana, you have to take left at Columbia Asia signal, where as you have to take right to Madikeri.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 14:57   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
There are plenty of eateries in Bangalore - Mysore route. There are 2 Kamat on you left side around Chennapatna and one on your right side too. If you are not specific to Kamat, A2B is a better option (~Madhur).

For Kamath Madhuvana, you have to take left at Columbia Asia signal, where as you have to take right to Madikeri.

Thanks
Rajesh

Thank you for your reply Rejesh. Yes we specifically want to eat at Madhuvana itself. So if i take a left at Columbi Asia hospital would that lead me to Madhuvana through the city or will i be able to skip it?.. Thanks!
Old 6th October 2015, 16:15   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Yes we specifically want to eat at Madhuvana itself. So if i take a left at Columbi Asia hospital would that lead me to Madhuvana through the city or will i be able to skip it?.. Thanks!
Going via city is shorter and traffic depends on the timing you reach there.
Old 7th October 2015, 16:53   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for your reply Rejesh. Yes we specifically want to eat at Madhuvana itself. So if i take a left at Columbi Asia hospital would that lead me to Madhuvana through the city or will i be able to skip it?.. Thanks!
Quote:
Going via city is shorter and traffic depends on the timing you reach there.
Concur with Rajesh - if you are very particular of going to Kamat Madhuvan, don't take the left turn at Columbia Asia - proceed through the city itself. Even at peak traffic hours, I think you can reach the restaurant in the same amount of time or faster through the regular city route. The left turn at Columbia Asia makes sense only if you plan to go to NH212 or SH33 and want to avoid most of the city traffic.

For getting to Kamat Madhuvan if you're taking a left at Columbia Asia junction you'll need to backtrack towards mysore city after hitting NH212 if taking the regular bypass route by the side of the Mysore race course,or skip taking a left turn at Teresian College circle and proceed into the city instead - both of which are time consuming.

When your destination is Hunsur/Madikeri, Kamat Madhuvan is not an ideal choice for a stopover. Would recommend choosing any one of the numerous restaurants on SH17 or Kalyani restaurant on the Mysore ring road (comes up on the left hand side between Columbia Asia junction and the turn off towards Hunsur if you take the right turn at Columbia Asia junction) instead.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 19:11   #120
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Me and my wife plan to have breakfast at Kamath Madhuvana in Mysore. Now do we need to go through Mysore city in order to stop at Kamath Madhuvana or will it fall on the way if i take the right turn after Columbia Asia hospital thereby avoiding the city?.. Thanks!!
Kamat Madhuvan is near the Mysore Palace and is ideal if you're going into the city to visit the Zoo or Palace or if you're headed towards Nanjangud/Gundlupet and onwards to Kerala (Sulthan Bathery, Wayanad, Calicut, etc) or Tamil Nadu (Masinagudi, Ooty, etc).

To get to Kamat Madhuvan, if you start early from Bangalore, you can go straight into Mysore City, go straight at all signals and follow the signage for Ooty. It's almost opposite to the Palace on the Nanjangud Road.

If you're starting early (5am and whereabouts), most restaurants on the Bangalore-Mysore route (there are tons of them, the route is like one long Food Court!) open only around 6:45-7am so may not be viable options for you.

Since you're going towards Hunsur and then Madikeri, as @kala says, take the Mysore ORR by turning right at Columbia Asia hospital signal and you can have breakfast at Kalyani which is very good. And no detour as you will proceed towards Hunsur.
Also, during your trip/onward/return journeys, consider visiting the Tibetan settlement and the Monastery at Bylakuppe, Cauvery Nisarghadhama at Kushalnagar and the Elephant camp at Dubare.

Last edited by NPV : 7th October 2015 at 19:21.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks