Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 10:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Hey all,

I shall be going to Coorg over the Christmas weekend. Just wanted to know whch is the best route for a drive from Bangalore. ALso, I hear that the SH88 to Hunsur can be accessed in two ways, 1)through the KRS/Ranganathitu road off Mysore highway and 2) by some connecting road from Mysore. Which would be better and more advisable in terms of road conditions and driveability? What is the route in the 2 cases?

I shall be putting up in Madikeri, so kindly advise o the best route to Madikeri from Bangalore. BHPians who have been there recently, looking for your advice here specially.
SHall be taking my 800.
Thanks in anticipaton!!
Old 8th December 2008, 10:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Unless you have a reason to go into Mysore, driving from Bangalore it is better to take the right from Mysore Road after Srirangapatna towards Ranganthittu, and continue on towards Hunsur (left/straight) instead of turning right towards Ranganthittu after the Railway crossing. You effectively save about 50 KM going west-south-west directly instead of going south and then making your way north-west again (check route on Yahoo maps).

The shorter route to Madikeri is via Hunsur, Periapatna and Kushalnagar (SH88). Keep right at/after Tammadahalli (SH88 towards Periyapatna) instead of the left at the fork (SH88A towards Virajpet). Drive straight through Periyapatna instead of taking the left (SH21 - meets SH88A after 20Km). Well, it is not as scary as I make it out to be - the road towards Periyapatna and beyond is wider than SH88A. Since you are in an M800, the only place to worry is the roads before and after Kushalnagar which are rather heavily pot-holed. Rest of the way it is smooth roads.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2008, 10:54   #3
BHPian

Hi Arindam,

You need to take the Bangalore Mysore highway. The route will be
Bangalore-Bidadi-Ramanagaram-Chennapatna-Maddur-Mandya-Srirangapatna. After you pass the 2nd bridge (if i remember correctly), there is a diversion to the right which goes to Ranganathittu/KRS. Take this road and it joins the Mysore-Hunsur road at a place called Illavala. At this junction continue straight (if you take the left you will go to Mysore) and this road will take you to Madikeri.

You will then pass through Hunsur-Kempalapura-Periyapatna-Bylukuppe-Kushalnagara-Suntikoppa and then reach Madikeri.

Road condition upto Kushalnagara is very good. Beyond that is a mixture of bad with good stretches.

Best Regards/Satish Prabhu
prabhusati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2008, 13:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Virajpet route v/s Kushalnagar route

Thanks guys for the info. I have another confusion. What about the Gonikoppal-Virajpet route? I keep hearing that the Kushalnagar road is very bad, so why is it that the Virajpet route is not recommended? Any particular problems?
Also, where exactly does this Y- junction come, where one has to choose between the Kushalnagar and the Virajpet route? Could you advise me on this?
Thanks,
Arindam
Old 8th December 2008, 14:09   #5
BHPian

hi arindam.the gonikoppal-virajpet route is also not in the best of shape and also it is much longer compared to the kushalnagar route.i stay in madikeri so incase you need any help regarding anything just buzz me on 9481058336.a lot of tbpians are gonna be in madikeri on the christmas weekend.maybe we could have a christmas meet at my homestay there if everyone wishes.
Old 8th December 2008, 14:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Zahed,

Thanks, so you too suggest the Kushalnagar route. I guess Ill take that route then.

Also thanks a ton for the help offered, Ill surely bug you a couple of times on the way to Madikeri, and once I am there
Ill get in touch with you soon! Thanks again!
Old 8th December 2008, 14:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
... where exactly does this Y- junction come, where one has to choose between the Kushalnagar and the Virajpet route? ...
Right after Hunsur. A couple of km after Hunsur is Tammadahalli village, and the fork is right after the village. There are signs along the road.
Old 8th December 2008, 15:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Arindam, when is your travel fixed ? Have you booked any place to stay at coorg ? I will be driving to coorg mostly on 22nd early morning and return by 24th evening with my family. This time I will be taking my cousine's innova for a change. Orange county, other home stays etc are considered, not yet finalised. If you have some tips, its appreciated !
Old 8th December 2008, 15:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

hi Shajufx, this is my first trip to Coorg so wont be able to give you any tips as such, I guess the gurus would have better advice for you. As for staying, I am considering the usual supects, homestays and the resorts around Madikeri. Havent fixed that yet. Will let you know details as soon as I finalise my self.
Old 8th December 2008, 15:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Right after Hunsur. A couple of km after Hunsur is Tammadahalli village, and the fork is right after the village. There are signs along the road.
@Der ALte: Thanks a lot for the help man, much appreciated!
Old 8th December 2008, 17:22   #11
BHPian

@shaufx: orange county can dent a big hole in your pocket.have sent you a pm.
Old 8th December 2008, 18:40   #12
BHPian

Place to stay

Quote:
Arindam, when is your travel fixed ? Have you booked any place to stay at coorg ? I will be driving to coorg mostly on 22nd early morning and return by 24th evening with my family. This time I will be taking my cousine's innova for a change. Orange county, other home stays etc are considered, not yet finalised. If you have some tips, its appreciated !
Shajufx, I can recommend a home-stay place called Palace Estate near Kakkabe, if you are going in that direction. It is on a coffee estate owned by the family, you will eat with them and the food is awesome. The rooms are as good as a fairly posh hotel.

And it is cheaper than Orange County definitely - I don't remember the exact rates but not much more than 1000 a day.

Last edited by straightdrive : 8th December 2008 at 18:49. Reason: Remembered something more to say
Old 8th December 2008, 20:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
@shaufx: orange county can dent a big hole in your pocket.have sent you a pm.
Thanks for the pm prince. My wifee is taking care of the enquiry, fixing, booking etc. She was confused till this afternoon. Looks like I saw this thread late. She has booked at a place called P N Heritage, which was refered to her by her collegue who stayed there last year. Website is P.N. Heritage , its 2k per day for 6 people as I understand, excluding food. I have no clue about the route and location etc. as I have never been to that side of the state. Will be using this thread as a guideline. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by shajufx : 8th December 2008 at 21:01.
Old 9th December 2008, 23:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thanks for the pm prince. My wifee is taking care of the enquiry, fixing, booking etc. She was confused till this afternoon. Looks like I saw this thread late. She has booked at a place called P N Heritage, which was refered to her by her collegue who stayed there last year. Website is P.N. Heritage , its 2k per day for 6 people as I understand, excluding food. I have no clue about the route and location etc. as I have never been to that side of the state. Will be using this thread as a guideline. Thanks for the help.
the place looks good.its about 30-35kms from madikeri town close to somwarpet.buzz me if you need any help
Old 10th December 2008, 00:45   #15
BHPian

Home Stay Kodagu - Home Stays

I believe the homestays also charging extra ordinary now a days !!! Where ever you go its not less than 1000Rs - Per Person / Day.
i stayed near to Orange County dont rem the name. I have tried both the route in last May. While going I also went through terrific trafic in Mysore. While coming back I took the Kushalnagar route and also KRS route by passing the Mysore City.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks