Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 18:33   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad - Araku

Hi. I am planning to drive to from Hyderabad to Araku at Christmas time - hoping to get bookings at one of the AP tourism places.

A few questions: Can I reach Araku fom Hyderabad without going via Vizag? From their locations on the map it seems possible but most of the internet sites on Araku describe routes through Vizag.

Are there two places called Ananthagiri in AP? I have heard of Ananthagiri Hills near Araku and also a place called Ananthagiri near Vikarabad.

Any information on the roads especially in the hilly sections will be welcome.
Old 8th December 2008, 19:17   #2
BHPian

@Straigtdrive,I would suggest that you take the route from Vizag to reach Araku valley.I have been to Araku twice and have taken this route only, as I guess,if you are travelling in AP then reaching Vizag is necessary to go to Araku.

I am aware of Anantagiri Hills after Vikarabad.
Old 8th December 2008, 20:20   #3
BHPian

Thanks. Can you also recommend a place to stay? And how long did it take you from Hyd to Vizag?
Old 9th December 2008, 10:56   #4
BHPian

Best place to stay in Araku is the Government accommodation - the Haritha Valley & Haritha Mayuri resorts (APTDC)
Hyderabad - Vyzag took about 11 hours - the stretch from Hyd - Vijaywada was terrible - not in terms of the condition of the road but more because of the zillion trucks plying on that narrow route.
Old 9th December 2008, 12:20   #5
BHPian

Thanks Amip. Will try and make reservations there.
Old 9th December 2008, 13:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well, if you want to avoid Vizag, you could branch off left at Anakapalle, which is 40 kms before Vizag. You'd need to go via Chodavaram, Vaddadi and Paderu. Take a right turn at Paderu towards Araku (left takes you to naxal infested Chintapalli forests) This route will save you around 25 kms of travel time. You will need to take another right when this road meets the standard road from Vizag to Jaipur, Orissa via Araku. I found it more scenic than the standard route via Vizag, S'Kota, Tyda and Ananthagiri.
On the return, try the other route via Vizag. You'd get to sees Borra Caves and Tyda on that route.
AP Tourism has a Punnami resort at Araku, which is the best place to stay. Alternative places are scenic private cottages at Anantagiri Hills (these overlook the valley) and the APTDC log cottages at Tyda called Jingle Bells, on the slope of a steep hill, amid thick forest.

Avoid Vijaywada. Instead branch off left at Suryapet to Khammam and merge with NH 5 at Rajamundry. This will save you around 60 -80 kms and help avoid the truck headache Amip was talking about.

Last edited by vnabhi : 9th December 2008 at 13:03.
Old 9th December 2008, 13:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting drive indeed.

After Vijaywada, it is pure bliss ( only tarmac, sun,whoosh noise of your tyres until Vizag) beautiful roads until then.

APTDC accomodation would be the best, enquire at tank bund or yatri nivas at sec'bad for options. you can even try the tree house accomodation. Forgot what they are called, nice experience.

Btw, when you go, don't forget carrying your camera
Old 9th December 2008, 13:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Very interesting drive indeed.

After Vijaywada, it is pure bliss ( only tarmac, sun,whoosh noise of your tyres until Vizag) beautiful roads until then.

APTDC accomodation would be the best, enquire at tank bund or yatri nivas at sec'bad for options. you can even try the tree house accomodation. Forgot what they are called, nice experience.

Btw, when you go, don't forget carrying your camera
Vnabhi. Amip, Mobike008, very helpful info. Thanks and I will remember my camera.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:33   #9
@ri
BHPian

Another suggestion, there is no use in trying to avoid Vizag as the road is really good. Better branch of onto the Simhachalam road at NAD CrossRoad. the other one which is after the City, where you take a left from NH5 which is before the muddasalova road (Not very sure of the exact place) but this is after the MVP crossing. this road is an absolute pain!
I had made the mistake of taking this road last October and the result, a suspension overhaul after coming back
Old 9th December 2008, 19:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ri View Post
Another suggestion, there is no use in trying to avoid Vizag as the road is really good. Better branch of onto the Simhachalam road at NAD CrossRoad. the other one which is after the City, where you take a left from NH5 which is before the muddasalova road (Not very sure of the exact place) but this is after the MVP crossing. this road is an absolute pain!
I had made the mistake of taking this road last October and the result, a suspension overhaul after coming back
Will keep that in mind, thank you @ri. Looks like I have a fair bit of map reading to do now
Old 9th December 2008, 20:40   #11
BHPian

Hey Straight drive, I am also planning for Araku during the Christmas weekend. But, I am planning to take a car from Vizag. I heard there is a train and bus combo tour from Vizag organized by APTDC which is a good one as I was advised by many that travelling to Araku by train is the best way to reach.

vnabhi,mobike - Please advise if it is worth driving by car and staying overnight in Araku/Anantagiri? or take the whirlwind tour of APTDC which covers everythign in a day.
Old 9th December 2008, 22:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Staying overnight gives you the added advantage of enjoying the place to the hilt. Staying in Tyda's Jingle Bells (the tree houses mobike008 mentioned about) in thick forest, hearing the sound of trains going through the tunnels, and animal sounds all through the night, is an experience that is hard to come by in a whirlwind tour.
You could go by train to Vizag and rent a taxi there, if you want to avoid the strain of driving for 12 hours to Vizag, and another 4 hours to Araku.
Old 10th December 2008, 08:23   #13
@ri
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubsmart View Post
travelling to Araku by train is the best way to reach.
You need to take a call on this. cause there are two things here
1) The train journey to araku goes through many tunnels and is very picturesque. This in itself is a wonderful experience
2) The ghat sections of the Drive is awesome. Not only is it exciting and challenging, it also will let you come close to nature with lots of good viewpoints on the way and small lovely streams coming down the hills. Also just ensure that Borra caves is not missed on train journey. I had been there by train a long time back and don't remember going to borra caves then. The ghat section to Borra caves is a nice challenge in itself and someone like me who loves the drive part, will prefer the drive route to train.
Old 10th December 2008, 11:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

If you have a car or cab, and don't want to miss the train journey, I have a suggestion:-
Drive via Vizag, turn left at NAD junction towards Simhachalam/ Kottavalasa. After about 50 kms, you will arrive at a place called S'kota (short for Srungavarupukota). You can ask your co-driver to drop you at the S'Kota station so that you can take the train till Borra caves (station name is Borra Guhalu). S'kota is where the ghat section and tunnels start.
But there are two pre-conditions to this--- you'd need a co-driver to drive the car till Borra caves, and you'd also need to reach S'Kota a little before the train reaches there--I think it is around 830 am.
Old 10th December 2008, 11:59   #15
BHPian

Araku? interesting name .... @ straightdrive ,when u are back ,do post a travelogue on your trip...

the place sounds interesting after reading the comments of the other members...

hope you dont bump into any traffic law breakers(have been reading your experiences of the hyd traffic/people not following rules/the way ppl drive in hyd)

maybe after all your experiences ,you should change your avtaar name to curvydrive! (now that was a bad one)

Btw not sure of you are aware of the hyd team bhp lunch meet happening on 21st dec ... do drop in! details on the team bhp meet section!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks