Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 11:38   #46
BHPian

Re: Chennai to Coimbatore to Gurvayoor

Guys back from guruvayoor after a good darshan. Thanx once again to all for the route & road info. I stuck with Cbe - Palakkad - Ottapalam - Pattambi - Kunnamkulam - Guruvayoor route. It took me 3.5 hrs to reach guruvayor during day and 3hrs for the return journey by night. (Did not change gears even once from OTP - PKD) As ajay had mentioned its the Cbe - Walayar stretch that's the worst hit with bad roads and good lorry traffic

In one of the take diversion points at 23.50 hrs this guy could have had a worst accident if not for his benz & its brakes as he completely missed the turn and was heading straight.
Old 28th June 2011, 16:03   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The Shoranur-Thrissur line is crossed around 5 kilometers before Ottupara via a ROB at a place called Agamala an area of thick forests
Vazhacode Junction, SH 22, Kerala to Akamala Ayyapan Temple - Google Maps

The Thrissur road cuts the rail line again at the infamous Wadakancheri Level crossing.That is the reason to go to kecheri,the road faces two level crossings again because the road jumps to the other side of the tracks and then comes back to this side(a to & fro motion!)

Your route would be this from Alathur:

Alathur, Kerala to Guruvayoor, Kerala - Google Maps
3 more questions:
a) Alathur-Kunnamkulam road just cuts across Shoranur-Trichur road at Ottupara junction, right? Or is there an overlap of the 2 roads for some distance?
b) Between Pollachi and Kunnamkulam, please suggest some good places to stop for lunch on the Alathur-Kunnamkulam route.
c) Somewhere there is a mention of a good hotel in Koppam on the Perinthalmanna-Pattambi road. Can you please provide some more information on the same? Or any alternatives in the same stretch?
Old 28th June 2011, 17:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
3 more questions:
a) Alathur-Kunnamkulam road just cuts across Shoranur-Trichur road at Ottupara junction, right? Or is there an overlap of the 2 roads for some distance?
At Ottupara,the road forks,straightish left would take you to Thrissur and the right goes to Kunnamkulam.

Quote:
b) Between Pollachi and Kunnamkulam, please suggest some good places to stop for lunch on the Alathur-Kunnamkulam route.
AFAIK there arent any good family restaurants for lunch.You would find the usual kerala style small restaurants enroute.

The best place for lunch would be at Ottupara.Hotel Deliza Residency www.delizaresidency.com).

For this you would need to go on the thrissur road for a kilometer or two and you would find the restaurant on your left

Quote:
c) Somewhere there is a mention of a good hotel in Koppam on the Perinthalmanna-Pattambi road. Can you please provide some more information on the same? Or any alternatives in the same stretch?
The place is Nakshatra Regency at Koppam on the Perinthalmana-Pattambi road.Very good restaurant and clean washrooms as well.They have rooms as well.It is a star hotel of sorts for the area!Moderately priced.
Old 28th June 2011, 17:45   #49
BHPian

Quote:
At Ottupara,the road forks,straightish left would take you to Thrissur and the right goes to Kunnamkulam.
Understood this from your post yesterday about leaving Shoranur-Trichur road at this junction to go towards Kunnamkulam. I was asking where would I join Shoranur-Trichur road when I go from Alathur to Kunnamkulam. You need to cross Shoranur-Trichur road while going from Alathur to Kunnamkulam, right?

Quote:
The best place for lunch would be at Ottupara.Hotel Deliza Residency www.delizaresidency.com).

For this you would need to go on the thrissur road for a kilometer or two and you would find the restaurant on your left

The place is Nakshatra Regency at Koppam on the Perinthalmana-Pattambi road.Very good restaurant and clean washrooms as well.They have rooms as well.It is a star hotel of sorts for the area!Moderately priced.
Thanks for the pointers. First would be helpful while going towards Trichur and the second one while going towards Guruvayur. Usually, we stop either at KTDC@Nilambur (late start from Bangalore) or KR@Perumpilavu (early start) for lunch.
Old 28th June 2011, 17:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Understood this from your post yesterday about leaving Shoranur-Trichur road at this junction to go towards Kunnamkulam. I was asking where would I join Shoranur-Trichur road when I go from Alathur to Kunnamkulam. You need to cross Shoranur-Trichur road while going from Alathur to Kunnamkulam, right?
SRR-TCR road joins the Alathur-Kunnamkulam road at Vazhacode Junction(the point I mentioned where the rail line is bypassed with a ROB)and continues towards Wadakancherry-Thrissur.Officially it is called the Kodungallur-Shoranur State Highway(though nobody refers to it by that name)

Vazhacode Junction, SH 22, Kerala - Google Maps

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers. First would be helpful while going towards Trichur and the second one while going towards Guruvayur. Usually, we stop either at KTDC@Nilambur (late start from Bangalore) or KR@Perumpilavu (early start) for lunch.
Yes KRs are doing quite a service at many places.
Old 28th June 2011, 22:11   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Pollachi approach coupled with this one about cutting NH47 seems like a good idea to reach GVR from Bangalore.

The standard route is 500 km (NH7/47 via Trichur) , while this one is just 25 km more, but much easier to drive. One needs to cross Pollachi though. (The Mysore option is 100km lesser but amounts to driving through Ghats).

How about driving conditions beyond Alathur?

EDIT: Sorry for bringing the Bangalore angle on the Chennai-GVR thread!
How about Palladam-Sulur-CBE byepass-Walayar alternative for someone to goto Palakkad? Not a bad option, I guess !
Old 28th June 2011, 23:08   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How about Palladam-Sulur-CBE byepass-Walayar alternative for someone to goto Palakkad? Not a bad option, I guess !
I think many people have been using that option to bypass Avinashi.
(Instead of Pollachi they use this route to get back to NH47).
Old 2nd June 2012, 17:42   #53
BHPian

Coimbatore to Gurvayoor to Trivandrum

Please help me in deciding the route.

The usual Cbe--Palakkad--Thrissur--Guruvayur route is good ? or any other suggestions
And again the route from Gvr to Trivandrum
Old 2nd June 2012, 21:53   #54
Team-BHP Support

Re: Coimbatore to Gurvayoor to Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionforcars View Post
The usual Cbe--Palakkad--Thrissur--Guruvayur route is good ? or any other suggestions

CBE-Pallakkad-Ottapalam-Wadakancherry-Kecheri-Choondal-Guruvaur

CBE to Guruvayur

Guruvayur-TVM: Standard route (Trichur-Ernakulam-TVM).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 00:03   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
CBE-Pallakkad-Ottapalam-Wadakancherry-Kecheri-Choondal-Guruvaur

CBE to Guruvayur

Guruvayur-TVM: Standard route (Trichur-Ernakulam-TVM).
Thanks for your reply. will be really helpful if you can clarify some doubts-

1. I'll be travelling after noon (about 3pm-4pm) , so shall I make any change in plan owing to the traffic I may experience en route ?

2. When travelling by train, I've seen a temple near to Wadakkancherry;its famous for its scenic beauty (Uthralikkavu ?) is it on my stipulated route map?

3. Google is showing something else on Gvr-Trivandrum route map :(
Old 3rd June 2012, 00:16   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. will be really helpful if you can clarify some doubts-

1. I'll be travelling after noon (about 3pm-4pm) , so shall I make any change in plan owing to the traffic I may experience en route ?

2. When travelling by train, I've seen a temple near to Wadakkancherry;its famous for its scenic beauty (Uthralikkavu ?) is it on my stipulated route map?

3. Google is showing something else on Gvr-Trivandrum route map :(
1. Not really !
2. Yes. On Ottapalam-Wadakancherry stretch just before Wadakancherry
3. Don't follow GM in this case but Amp's suggestion of standard route : Trichur->Ernakulam->Alappuzha->Trivandrum
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 00:54   #57
BHPian

Quote:
1. Not really !
2. Yes. On Ottapalam-Wadakancherry stretch just before Wadakancherry
3. Don't follow GM in this case but Amp's suggestion of standard route : Trichur->Ernakulam->Alappuzha->Trivandrum

thanks

so this route is better than the Pattambi-Perumpilavu-Kunnamkulam-GVR route ?
Old 3rd June 2012, 00:56   #58
BHPian

Quote:

Please help me in deciding the route.

Hey,

According to me, unless you plan to visit Guruvayoor temple, there is no reason why you should be coming towards Guruvayoor. Because, if you are coming from Coimbatore and heading towards TVM, visiting Guruvayoor would be an additional 45 - 50 kms.

You can drive straight fro m Mannuthi toward EKM without entering the city.

Best,
R-Six
Old 3rd June 2012, 01:09   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Hey,

According to me, unless you plan to visit Guruvayoor temple, there is no reason why you should be coming towards Guruvayoor. Because, if you are coming from Coimbatore and heading towards TVM, visiting Guruvayoor would be an additional 45 - 50 kms.

You can drive straight fro m Mannuthi toward EKM without entering the city.

Best,
R-Six
Obviously dear friend,
my plan goes like this

Day 1. Late A/N departure from Coimbatore, reach Guruvayur at night-trying for a pit stop at Uthralikavu ,Wadakkancherry

Day 2. Darshan @ various temples in and around Guruvayoor
& a visit to Cherai beach (suggestions welcome !)

Day 3. Early morning departure for TVM
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:41   #60
BHPian

Understood! I just wanted to bring that point though it was obvious. From Guruvayoor (GVR), you can plan to hit Cochin and then head towards TVM from there. And since you plan to visit Cherai beach, you can probably visit it on your way to Cochin. Cherai is around 60km from GVR, it wouldn't make sense to drive back all the way to GVR after visiting the beach. You can also plan to visit Kodungaloor temple on your way to TVM.

Visiting temples in and around GVR, you can certainly go to Mammiyoor temple, which is just within the same vicinity.

If you are interested in visiting beaches, try going to Periyambalam beach. Take the NH from Chavakkad and head towards Ponnani. The Snehatheeram beach near Chettuva is also a nice place to plan a visit.

I hope these bits and peaces help you out.

r-six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks