Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 13:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
Does anyone know the condition of Salem-Coimbatore stretch? These are the things I would like to know:
1. Is the entire stretch made into 4 lanes and median separated?
2. How is the condition of the road such as potholes, bad patches etc?
A large part of it is 4lane now separated by median.probably a 80% of it.road condition is good but partly bumpy as there are frequent lane diversions.
Old 30th November 2009, 16:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

You should check out this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...update-13.html

This has the latest updates.

Salem to Bhavani or to be more exact Kumarapalayam is still being 4 laned to a large extent. Expect lot of roadwork and diversions. After this there's completed 4 lane roads available till just before Avinashi. After that its highly irritating till Coimbatore!!

Last edited by csentil : 30th November 2009 at 16:59.
Old 3rd December 2009, 03:50   #18
BHPian

Great! Thank you guys! Trip cancelled, though.
Old 25th June 2011, 22:30   #19
BHPian

Re: Chennai to Coimbatore to Gurvayoor

Guys can somebody tell me which is the best route to guruvayoor from coimbatore and any updates on the current condition of the road? Will be starting by Monday morn.

PS: Google suggests NH47
Old 25th June 2011, 22:33   #20
Team-BHP Support

CBE-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancherry-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.

Route link:
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu to Guruvayoor, Kerala - Google Maps

This option avoids traffic through Trichur. Not sure of the latest road conditions though.

Last edited by ampere : 25th June 2011 at 22:40.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 08:17   #21
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
CBE-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancherry-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.

Route link:
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu to Guruvayoor, Kerala - Google Maps

This option avoids traffic through Trichur. Not sure of the latest road conditions though.
Heard last month that this route has good roads and that the Palakkad-Trichur stretch again is bad in some stretches.
Old 26th June 2011, 11:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Guys can somebody tell me which is the best route to guruvayoor from coimbatore and any updates on the current condition of the road? Will be starting by Monday morn.
Coimbatore-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.

Palakkad-Thrissur is in awful state, plus the traffic in Thrissur. The Thrissur-Guruvayur route is also a headache now - heavy traffic and bad roads.

Palakkad-Ottapalam-Kulappully is in great shape - well paved roads, with markings. Kulappully-Pattambi was bad - but that was a good 6 months back. I am sure they road would've improved by now.

Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur is a bit narrow - but the road is in good shape, and the traffic is on the lower side.
Old 26th June 2011, 14:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Kulappully-Pattambi was bad - but that was a good 6 months back. I am sure they road would've improved by now.
Not improved as of 10 days back, but the road is not that awful - only that it is a crash to reality after the super smooth tarmac you have from Palakkad to Kulappully
Old 26th June 2011, 23:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Coimbatore-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.
Thanx for the timely help, I would have gone with NH47 if not for TBhpians. So you mean to say except for the 12kms between Kulappully-Pattambi this route is on the good side.
Old 26th June 2011, 23:50   #25
Team-BHP Support

Which is better route from Ottapallam?
The one via Wadakancherry or the one via Pattambi?
Old 27th June 2011, 09:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanx for the timely help, I would have gone with NH47 if not for TBhpians. So you mean to say except for the 12kms between Kulappully-Pattambi this route is on the good side.
Certainly. The biggest advantage you get on this route is that traffic is very low, and hence you can have a peaceful drive.

Quote:
Both are viable options. Kullappully-Pattambi is bad (as confirmed earlier), but the rest is in good shape.

The alternative I can suggest is Ottapalam-Wadakancherry-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur. There is a "highway" from Wadakancherry to Kunnamkulam. I've never travel on this route - so cannot comment on the road's condition.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanx for the timely help, I would have gone with NH47 if not for TBhpians.
Quote:
Quote:
The alternative I can suggest is Ottapalam-Wadakancherry-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur. There is a "highway" from Wadakancherry to Kunnamkulam. I've never travel on this route - so cannot comment on the road's condition.
Wadakancherry-Kunnamkulam is in good condition,it is the SH50.You dont really reach Wadakancherry to take this road,while coming on the Shoranur-Thrissur road from Shoranur,after you cross Uthralikavu Temple,you reach a busy junction called Ottupara.It is a fork road,the left is the thrissur road,and the right road is the road to Kunnamkulam.It takes the route of Ottupara-Kundannur-Mangad-Nelluwaye Dhanwanthari Temple-Kunnamkulam.The Wadakancheri-Kunnamkulam-GVR buses take this route.

Ottupara Junction to Guruvayoor, Kerala - Google Maps

PS: dont think of travelling NH47 between Palakkad & Thrissur for the next few years.It has been reduced to a dirt road now.I just hope the Palakkad-Shoranur road is able to withstand the traffic it is going to face from now on.
Old 27th June 2011, 19:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Wadakancherry-Kunnamkulam is in good condition,it is the SH50.You dont really reach Wadakancherry to take this road,while coming on the Shoranur-Thrissur road from Shoranur,after you cross Uthralikavu Temple,you reach a busy junction called Ottupara.It is a fork road,the left is the thrissur road,and the right road is the road to Kunnamkulam.It takes the route of Ottupara-Kundannur-Mangad-Nelluwaye Dhanwanthari Temple-Kunnamkulam.The Wadakancheri-Kunnamkulam-GVR buses take this route.

Ottupara Junction to Guruvayoor, Kerala - Google Maps

PS: dont think of travelling NH47 between Palakkad & Thrissur for the next few years.It has been reduced to a dirt road now.I just hope the Palakkad-Shoranur road is able to withstand the traffic it is going to face from now on.
Is the entire stretch of NH47 between Palakkad & Thrissur too bad? If we go via Pollachi, once we touch NH47 near Vadakkancherry, how is the stretch from that point till Thrissur/Guruvayur?

Another question I had was why go via Kunnamkulam since if Kecheri road is good from Wadakanchery (frankly dont know the condition now but assume it is good) because that will avoid the traffic prone Kunnamkulam town roads as well as help you reach East Nada directly where most people stay. Please help me know of this option too.
Old 27th June 2011, 19:17   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Is the entire stretch of NH47 between Palakkad & Thrissur too bad? If we go via Pollachi, once we touch NH47 near Vadakkancherry, how is the stretch from that point till Thrissur/Guruvayur?

Another question I had was why go via Kunnamkulam since if Kecheri road is good from Wadakanchery (frankly dont know the condition now but assume it is good) because that will avoid the traffic prone Kunnamkulam town roads as well as help you reach East Nada directly where most people stay. Please help me know of this option too.
Ranjit's answer in the past. Even I had that same doubt.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2214289

Also once you hit Vadakancherry on the NH47, how do you get to the other Wadakancherry?

PS: Ranjit this time I got the spellings right !
Old 27th June 2011, 19:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Ranjit's answer in the past. Even I had that same doubt.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2214289

Also once you hit Vadakancherry on the NH47, how do you get to the other Wadakancherry?

PS: Ranjit this time I got the spellings right !
Thanks for this information. Road from Kecheri to Perumpilavu that help bye-pass Kunnamkulam town was in very good condition during last Sabarimala season. Hence, I thought that this stretch would also be fine.

Vadakancherry-Wadakancherry route can be explained better by someone who is more familiar with the same. But I remember doing it once when there was a report that there was a traffic pile-up somewhere on the way to Trichur (coming from Palakkad) when we were going to Guruvayur about 5 years back and that was when I crossed Kecheri and hence remembered the route

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks