Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 11:57   #46
BANNED

re: Delhi-Agra-Gwalior-Jhansi-Orchha-Khajuraho : Route Queries

Some idea about mid to high range hotels in Orchcha.
Old 29th January 2015, 14:57   #47
BHPian

Need some update on Delhi Gwalior route please.

Any inputs on how much time will it take keeping moderate driving in mind?

Regards.
Old 29th January 2015, 15:07   #48
BANNED

@nvldvr; I would make a small suggestion take the YE and then get off one junction before the end.
Old 29th January 2015, 15:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Need some update on Delhi Gwalior route please.

Any inputs on how much time will it take keeping moderate driving in mind?

Regards.
Problem is only in crossing Agra city. Terribly messy, could take 1-1.5 hours.
Assuming 1 hour to cross AGra city, via YEH from Noida-Great Noida Expressway, you should take 6 hours to travel from Delhi to Gwalior. Fog is a factor you need to keep in mind
Old 29th January 2015, 15:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@nvldvr; I would make a small suggestion take the YE and then get off one junction before the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Problem is only in crossing Agra city. Terribly messy, could take 1-1.5 hours.
Assuming 1 hour to cross AGra city, via YEH from Noida-Great Noida Expressway, you should take 6 hours to travel from Delhi to Gwalior. Fog is a factor you need to keep in mind
Thanks for the quick replies.

What if i get off the YEW at Mathura?

Will i then be able escape Agra main city?

Sorry for the back to back posts.

How is the condition of Agra Gwalior section?

Is it recommended to drive through this stretch in the late evening / night, especially with family / kids in tow?

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th January 2015 at 12:25. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 29th January 2015, 15:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies.

What if i get off the YEW at Mathura?

Will i then be able escape Agra main city?
You have to navigate a part of Mathura city - burden reduced if you take the Mathura Contonment route to reach NH2. NH2 itself is not pleasant to drive through and traffic jams happen in Sikhandra too where you could take a right turn to bypass Agra city. Not a great option though.

Quote:
Sorry for the back to back posts.

How is the condition of Agra Gwalior section?

Is it recommended to drive through this stretch in the late evening / night, especially with family / kids in tow?

Road condition is good. You go through the Chambal Valley.
NO safety issues, but driving at night is avoidable.
Old 29th January 2015, 15:45   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
You have to navigate a part of Mathura city - burden reduced if you take the Mathura Contonment route to reach NH2. NH2 itself is not pleasant to drive through and traffic jams happen in Sikhandra too where you could take a right turn to bypass Agra city. Not a great option though.

Road condition is good. You go through the Chambal Valley.
NO safety issues, but driving at night is avoidable.

Thanks Mr Kumar.

Based on your advice, will leave delhi early morning rather than at 1 PM to avoid driving in MP after sunset.

Regards.
Old 29th January 2015, 17:06   #53
BHPian

I drove Delhi to Nagpur in sept 14
via agra, morena, gwalior, datia, jhansi, orchha, khajuraho and many other unknown temple ruins along the way.
Took tons of pics

But one thing everyone in Delhi told me
DO NOT BE ONE THE ROAD FROM 7PM TO 7AM !!!
Enough horror stories doing the rounds, including by brother in law who was stopped by a herd of sheep at night in the chambal area (2 years back). The shepherds dropped their blankets to reveal guns and other weapons and charged towards the vehicle. Fortunately, it was a 4X4 new thar and my BIL plunged headlong into the fields. Luckily the thar did not get stuck and they escaped by the skin of their teeth.
Was told of another couple that was killed in the same stretch.

It is not uncommon to see villagers moving around with guns even in the daytime.

Another MO is that villagers block roads with logs and extort money.
Encountered 3 times.
The first one I avoided by going on the shoulder.
At the second one an alto driver was fighting with the villagers. I revved my car and threatned to go over it (I was in a TATA Safari). They got scared and moved it enough to let me pass but did not let the alto guy go.
The third time a police car was right behind me and they all ran away.
Old 29th January 2015, 19:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post
via agra, morena, gwalior, datia, jhansi, orchha, khajuraho and many other unknown temple ruins along the way.
Took tons of pics

Enough horror stories doing the rounds, including by brother in law who was stopped by a herd of sheep at night in the chambal area (2 years back). The shepherds dropped their blankets to reveal guns and other weapons and charged towards the vehicle. Fortunately, it was a 4X4 new thar and my BIL plunged headlong into the fields. Luckily the thar did not get stuck and they escaped by the skin of their teeth.

It is not uncommon to see villagers moving around with guns even in the daytime.

Encountered 3 times.
At the second one an alto driver was fighting with the villagers. I revved my car and threatned to go over it (I was in a TATA Safari). They got scared and moved it enough to let me pass but did not let the alto guy go.
Interesting. We found traffic low on the road on Nov 2011. We didn't see a single case of the villagers blocking road or having done the same. I'd heard safe enough feedback from folks like Doc Arnob who've done this route at the craziest hours.

I was planning to take this route to Chennai in Aug 2013 but it sounds like things have recently become really bad.

I hope in the second case you called the police to report the distress the alto driver was in, if not rescue the alto driver itself!
Old 30th January 2015, 21:07   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post
Took tons of pics

Encountered 3 times.
Many thanks buddy.

That is probably the best advice i could have got considering i was planning to lug along my extended family with me.

Lawlessness continues to prevail in Western UP. Better be safe than sorry.

Thanks and cheers.
Old 31st January 2015, 09:51   #56
BANNED

My inlaws are in Gwalior, and I go there via Etawah Bhind (have also used the Jhansi-Croute when NH2 was being redone) route at an average more than twice a year, for the past thirty five plus years. I drive in daytime, though once did end up reaching Gwalior on about 11pm (Dynamo failure of an accompanying Amby) but have never seen this type of hooliganism. This was from the other side. I did end up travelling Dhaulpur-Gwalior byty bus once reaching at about 11:30pm. So I think this may be overhyped.

Of course the area around Dhaulpur is a three state border, so things can happen there. commit a crime in one state and move to another!

Last edited by sgiitk : 31st January 2015 at 09:53.
Old 20th February 2015, 17:04   #57
BANNED

Just returned after a couple of days in Orchha. We (two couples) stayed in the Orchha Resort smack on the Betwa, and next to the Cenotaphs of the local kings. Booking through Stayzilla we payed ₹6930 per room (incl Breakfast) for a two night stay. Excellent resort and food. We had all our meals there (not too many options there) and each meal was ₹400 person. These were Buffets and were excellent. They were vegetarian with Egg curry as the non-veg component. 90% of the people seemed to be foreigners. One negative (if you think so) poor mobile and wifi connectivity.

Some observations on the NH25 (EW-corridor) from Kanpur to just short of Jhansi where you turn left for Orchha. Road is excellent, except for about 3km at Kalpi. There is a new road which cuts off from NH2 to Orchha (not on my Garmin 2014.30 map). NH25 was not that good on the way back with rutting. Could be the old road, or overloaded trucks (crushed granite ballast from Jhansi). It still took us 4:45 one way (door to door) with a 30 minute halt for the 237km.

One thing remarkable is the near absence of garbage (esp. polythene waste) at Orchha. On the other hand Jhansi Fort was littered all over. Orchha is a hidden treasure and well worth a visit.

Edit: The tolls are now getting heavy. I paid ₹350 for the barely 180km of Toll section. 120 Bhauti, 75 Orai, 75 Moth and 80 before Jhansi. This is getting heavier than Kanpur-Delhi incl YE.

Last edited by Eddy : 21st February 2015 at 10:16. Reason: Added info
Old 20th February 2015, 17:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks buddy.

That is probably the best advice i could have got considering i was planning to lug along my extended family with me.

Lawlessness continues to prevail in Western UP. Better be safe than sorry.

Thanks and cheers.
Western UP??? The parts he is talking about are in MP sir.
Old 20th February 2015, 18:31   #59
BANNED

By and large I avoid travel after sunset, in the badlands of UP, MP or Rajasthan. One notorious area was the Delhi-Gwalior highway around Dholpur. This was a tri-state junction and the bandits could escape from one state to another with impunity. Of late area around Etawah (NH2/AH1) has had incidents of late.
Old 6th January 2016, 22:03   #60
BHPian

>>>

I need inputs on a) road surface conditions, b) traffic density and if possible c) any law & order/safety points that I should bear in mind, on the following routes:

1. Sanchi-Kurwai-Malthone-Lalitpur-Jhansi-Orchha

2. Orchha-Jhansi-Datia-Gwalior-Agra(Sikandra)-Aligarh

3. Dhule-Sendhwa-Dhar-Mandu-Indore

References to recent experiences will be very helpful.

Information on BPCL(and Indian Oil) COCOS, restaurants most welcome!

The car will have low ground clearance, so any caution/slow passage on any stretch will be appreciated.

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 6th January 2016 at 22:08. Reason: Added a point

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks