Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2015, 15:57   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: Chennai - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
Planning to take the following route -
Pondy -> Villupuram -> Trichy -> Melur -> Sivaganga -> Paramakudi -> Rameswaram.

A better route would be: Trichy-Pudukottai-Karaikudi-Devakaottai-Ramnad-Rameshwaram. Full 2-lane but very good roads. Whatever you going because of four you offset by the extra 40-50 km that you drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
You can take Trichy -> Karaikudi -> Devakottai -> Devipattinam -> Rameshwaram route and completely bypass the Melur stretch.
Trichy to Karaikudi route is good but it is a 2 laned SH.
Trichy-Pudukottai-Karaikudi-Devakottai-Ramnad is NH210 and not a state highway. I remember during my early days on this forum, this NH used to be horrible. And now its one of the very good roads.

Last edited by ampere : 18th August 2015 at 16:22.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 15:58   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a function to attend in Chennai on Thursday and we want to make it into a weekend trip to Rameswaram.

Wanted to enquire about the latest road conditions from Pondicherry to Rameswaram. We plan to stay over at Pondicherry and then proceed to Rameswaram the next morning.

Pondy -> Villupuram -> Trichy -> Melur -> Sivaganga -> Paramakudi -> Rameswaram.

I heard Villupuram till Melur is a 4 laned NH.

Wanted to know how the road condition is from Melur -> Rameswaram.
Also any info on traffic on Villupuram -> Melur NH stretch would be much appreciated.

Anybody done this route lately or have any info on the road condition ?
Pondy-Villupuram road conditions are good 2L. However, traffic will be very high in the route till you join 4L NH45. Nothing specific to talk about Villupuram-Trichy-Melur as the road conditions are excellent all the way. Villupuram->Melur traffic is not much and you can maintain good speeds. You would have to slow down when you cross Trichy, but otherwise, nothing to worry about. Pay tolls and keep going

Melur to Sivaganga, the road conditions are good to average, but slow down when you cross villages. Occasional patches are there. I would recommend you to finish Breakfast/Lunch or food around Trichy itself, as there are no good restaurants beyond.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 16:00   #138
BHPian

Quote:
I have a function to attend in Chennai on Thursday and we want to make it into a weekend trip to Rameswaram.

You can take Trichy -> Karaikudi -> Devakottai -> Devipattinam -> Rameshwaram route and completely bypass the Melur stretch.

The roads from Pondy to Trichy is a 4 laned NH with nothing to worry about. Trichy to Karaikudi route is good but it is a 2 laned SH.

Karaikudi to Devakottai is about 20 kms with good roads. The roads after Devakottai is decent with little to moderate traffic and you would be able to cover the distance to Rameshwaram in 2-3 hours.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 17:12   #139
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the updates guys.

So the way I see it, there are two routes.

Pondy -> Villupuram -> Trichy -> Karaikudi -> Devakottai -> Devipattinam -> Rameshwaram

Going by @ampere and @satan's_valet and @mpksuhas notes, looks like the Karaikudi route would be a good option too, only no 4 lane roads but 2 Lane well paved roads with lesser traffic.
I'm guessing both routes would take the same amount of time for Trichy -> Rameswaram, please correct me if you think otherwise.

Always good to have options.
Will probably decide on your feedback on the time difference between the two routes.
Old 18th August 2015, 18:08   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2 Lane well paved roads with lesser traffic.
I'm guessing both routes would take the same amount of time for Trichy -> Rameswaram, please correct me if you think otherwise.
The two lane route around Karaikudi looks like this

PIC
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 18:53   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Trichy-Pudukottai-Karaikudi-Devakottai-Ramnad is NH210 and not a state highway. I remember during my early days on this forum, this NH used to be horrible. And now its one of the very good roads.
Thanks for the correction Ampere. My grandparents were from Devakottai and have hence traveled quite a bit on this route, but never bothered to know if it is a SH or NH.
Old 18th August 2015, 19:06   #142
BHPian

I wonder why no one has mentioned about the ECR to Rameshwaram. You take the ECR from Madras -> Pondicherry - > Karaikal - Ramnad ->Rameshwaram. Total distance is about the same as the route via GST road. East coast road is a good 2 way road and you find less traffic past Velankanni.
Old 18th August 2015, 19:37   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I wonder why no one has mentioned about the ECR to Rameshwaram.
South of Nagapattinam yes, ECR is a dream run. But Pondy to Nagapattinam is a pain in the rear with a narrower road and loads of traffic. You need patience and time if you want to do a full ECR run.
Old 18th August 2015, 21:22   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wonder why no one has mentioned about the ECR to Rameshwaram. You take the ECR from Madras -> Pondicherry - > Karaikal - Ramnad ->Rameshwaram. Total distance is about the same as the route via GST road. East coast road is a good 2 way road and you find less traffic past Velankanni.
It is fantastic no doubt, but south of Nagapatnam, you hardly find any hotels on the way. So if with family, it may not be a good option. Also add to it Pondicherry-Nagapatnam as mentioned by others is very heavy on traffic.

Last edited by ampere : 19th August 2015 at 02:24. Reason: Corrected grammar in quoted post
Old 19th August 2015, 01:41   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is fantastic no doubt, but south of Nagapatnam, you hardly find any hotels on the way. So if with family, it may not be a good option. Also add to it Pondicherry-Nagapatnam as mentioned by others is very heavy on traffic.
Spot on.

Quote:
I forgot the names of the places but doing it in reverse, I had a good 120-150km run out till Adirampattinam. Then on it was totally crazy. Took me good part of 8 hours (incl 40 min lunch) to get to Pondy from there. Folks who left later but took the GST reached supposedly faster that day.

IMHO the Chennai-Pondy part of ECR is way more scenic than the part later - you didnt see as much sea, but the road was narrow and traffic was sufficient to prevent any sustained 80ish speeds, forget triple digits.

Last edited by ampere : 19th August 2015 at 02:24. Reason: Corrected grammar in quoted post
Old 19th August 2015, 09:34   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I forgot the names of the places but doing it in reverse, I had a good 120-150km run out till Adirampattinam. Then on it was totally crazy. Took me good part of 8 hours (incl 40 min lunch) to get to Pondy from there. Folks who left later but took the GST reached supposedly faster that day.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
South of Nagapattinam yes, ECR is a dream run. But Pondy to Nagapattinam is a pain in the rear with a narrower road and loads of traffic.
I do the Velankanni trip regularly. The distance between Pondi and Nagapatinum is just about 130 km - Pondicherry - > Cuddalore -> Chidambaram - > Sirkazhi -> Karaikal - Nagore - > Nagapatinum - which I agree can't be done in 3 digit speeds. But it is still doable in about a couple of hours.

South of Nagapatinum you hardly see any traffic - save for cattle.
Old 19th August 2015, 14:24   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The two lane route around Karaikudi looks like this

PIC
Now that sure looks inviting. There sure is a certain charm in those two laned country roads without any divider.
Old 1st September 2015, 14:30   #148
BHPian

Guys, Thanks a lot for all the advice, Did the trip last week. Took the following route as suggested -

Pondy - Villupuram - Trichy - Pudukottai - Karaikudi - Devakottai - Devipattinam - Ramnad - Rameswaram.

Pondy to Villupuram roads are good, but there is considerable traffic.
Villupuram to Tricy is a complete treat. Awesome roads, sparse traffic, an easy cruise.

NH 201 from Trichy to Devakottai is 2 laned, but very good tarmac throught except for a 2km stretch. Could easily maintain ~80ish spees without a sweat.

Ramnad to Rameswarm is anyway inevitable, roads are decent, but are being relaid at many places.

One more thing I noted is that the road work at danushkodi seems to be going full swing. I hear that the tarmac road till where Dansuhkodi town was previously would be ready by Jan 2016 and road work further till Ramasethu point will be started post Jan 2016. Eager to do a trip again once that road is done.
Old 7th September 2015, 11:20   #149
KRN
BHPian

Folks,

I am doing a road trip from Chennai to Rameshwaram with a couple of stops in between. Need route suggestions please

Day 1: Chennai ->Chidambaram (halt for 1.5 hours) -> Karaikudi (with a quick stop at Darasuram temple)

Day 2: Karaikudi -> Rameshwaram

Day 3: Rameshwaram -> Chennai

Route validation needed
1. I stay on OMR. Planning to use ECR to reach Chidambaram (GST doesn't make sense?)

2. From Chidambaram, planning to do Sethiyathope, Thirupananthal, Kumbakonam, Thanjavur route to reach Karaikudi. Is this the best route?

3. Is Darasuram temple open at around 2 PM. If so, will stop on the way, else will proceed to Karaikudi directly. Will it be possible to reach Karaikudi before nightfall assuming I start from Chennai at 7 AM and with 1.5 hour stops each at Chidambaram and Darasuram temple?

4. From Karaikudi to Rameshwaram planning to do Devakottai, Mangalam, Devipattinam

5. Rameshwaram to Chennai will be via Karaikudi, Trichy, Villupuram. Will start at 11 AM and want to reach Chennai by 7 PM.

Car will be Honda City (CVT) and will be traveling with family. Would prefer good and fast roads even if it means paying toll.

Thanks folks in advance.
Old 7th September 2015, 12:05   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
Folks,

I am doing a road trip from Chennai to Rameshwaram with a couple of stops in between. Need route suggestions please

Day 1: Chennai ->Chidambaram (halt for 1.5 hours) -> Karaikudi (with a quick stop at Darasuram temple)

Day 2: Karaikudi -> Rameshwaram

Day 3: Rameshwaram -> Chennai

Route validation needed
1. I stay on OMR. Planning to use ECR to reach Chidambaram (GST doesn't make sense?)

2. From Chidambaram, planning to do Sethiyathope, Thirupananthal, Kumbakonam, Thanjavur route to reach Karaikudi. Is this the best route?

3. Is Darasuram temple open at around 2 PM. If so, will stop on the way, else will proceed to Karaikudi directly. Will it be possible to reach Karaikudi before nightfall assuming I start from Chennai at 7 AM and with 1.5 hour stops each at Chidambaram and Darasuram temple?

4. From Karaikudi to Rameshwaram planning to do Devakottai, Mangalam, Devipattinam

5. Rameshwaram to Chennai will be via Karaikudi, Trichy, Villupuram. Will start at 11 AM and want to reach Chennai by 7 PM.

Car will be Honda City (CVT) and will be traveling with family. Would prefer good and fast roads even if it means paying toll.

Thanks folks in advance.

1) Since you are in OMR, ECR route is obviously convenient but it is comparatively slower. Be prepared for heavy traffic beyond Pondy till Chidambaram.

2) Darasuram temple won't be open at 2 pm. Usually they open around 4.30 pm.

-Ravi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks