Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2013, 20:34   #121
BHPian

re: Chennai - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Is TTDCOnline the best way to book this hotel? I normally have issues booking with Govt. sites since they are not properly maintained and also not sure about their security measures.
Please have no fears about TTDCOnline.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 08:57   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Please have no fears about TTDCOnline.
Yes, you were correct. I took the plunge and booked and the booking process was smooth. I will be visiting 27-29 July. Will come back and post feedback.

Now need to plot the food stops on the way, as suggested by ampere.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 11:02   #123
BHPian

Quote:
I plan to travel to Rameshwaram this weekend from Chennai. I stay in the ECR. Will be accompanied by wife and mother. BHPians who have traveled recently, please let me know whether the above route is still the best one. I prefer better roads over speeds since my mother is a senior citizen.

Also, please suggest reasonable priced hotels in Rameshwaram and other places to see.
Took Chennai-Trichy-Vallam-Orathanadu-Pattukottai-Joined ECR-Ramnad-Rameswaram in Apr. Except Vallam to Pattukottai which is a single lane(http://goo.gl/maps/muonS), other routes are fine, nevertheless there was no issue with the road condition. Started at 1 PM in Chennai, reached by 11 in the night including breaks. All along ECR till Rameswaram looked desolate and lack facilities except some tea stalls, but traffic freed.

Last edited by ramanan.skr : 24th July 2013 at 11:21.
Old 24th July 2013, 15:10   #124
BHPian

Is it possible to drive to Dhanushkodi with personal car (Swift)? I was trying to plot the routes and see a hair line land connecting it with Rameshwaram. Is it a motorable road? Please help me plan. I am traveling with my mom who is 70 years old.
Old 24th July 2013, 15:38   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to drive to Dhanushkodi with personal car (Swift)?
You can travel from Rameshwaram to Dhanushkodi in your own car, it is a proper surfaced road. However in Dhanushkodi you will not be able to go towards the lands end since its a sandy 4x4 territory. There are 7 seater auto's available who claim to take you to Dhanushkodi, beware they will only take you till where your car goes.
Best option will be to take your car go till road ends, strike a deal with jeep drivers and they will take you till the end. Else you can get a jeep on rent from your hotel. You can check this thread if you haven't already for an idea -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...rspective.html

The hair line land connection between Dhanushkodi and Sri Lanka is not visible now as per Wikipedia it was washed away in 1480.
Quote:
At the "land's end" terminus of the peninsula to the southeast of Dhanushkodi, known as Arichumunai or erosion point, begins the chain of rocks and islets known as Rama's Bridge. These lead approximately 19 miles across the Palk Strait to Mannar Island on the northwestern tip of Sri Lanka. It is believed that this was an intact land bridge passable on foot until a cyclone in 1480 CE swept through the region and deepened the channel
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 16:20   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it possible to drive to Dhanushkodi with personal car (Swift)? I was trying to plot the routes and see a hair line land connecting it with Rameshwaram. Is it a motorable road? Please help me plan. I am traveling with my mom who is 70 years old.
I would say dont do it. Because you may be able to drive till Dhanushkodi town. But you will have to hire a jeep to take you to the sea shore. In that case where do you park?

So its better you park your car at the hotel and hire a jeep all the way.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 16:43   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So its better you park your car at the hotel and hire a jeep all the way.
After looking at the pictures, i feel this is definitely 4X4 territory and also since i do not speak local language, it is better to hire a Jeep from TTDC hotel OR main city and go and visit.

Wish i had a 4X4
Old 29th July 2013, 14:47   #128
BHPian

Came back from Rameshwaram yesterday. While going took the NH-45, but instead of taking the Melur route (actually i missed the turn), we went all the way till Madurai. Roads were excellent till Madurai. From Madurai till Rameshwarm roads were in good condition with 2-3 bad patches, but nothing out of the ordinary. Started from ECR at 6:20AM and reached TTDC Rameshwaram 3:30PM, including 1 lunch break and 2 smaller cofee breaks. Total 626Kms on the Odo. Toll - 312Rs. Pamban bridge - 60rs and Rameshwaram Entry Tax (illegal) - 50rs.

TTDC Rameshwaram was very bad. We had taken 3 bedded AC room and it was not in the main hotel complex, but in another side, so no sea view. I had paid in advance through their website for 2 nights. First of all there is no room service even for tea/coffee. The first night there were bed bugs (khatmal in hindi) and all 3 of us could not sleep. Bathrooms were filthy to say the least. We decided not to continue for the second night and travel to Madurai for visit.

On the way back met with a accident (near Madurai) and came to Chennai directly without going to Madurai.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 29th July 2013 at 14:49.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 14:41   #129
BHPian

Hi Everybody,

I made this trip during 9th to 11th August 2013. While you can check out my travelogue here, just to quickly summarize, I took the following route

Day 1 (9/8/13): Chennai to Tanjore. 374 Km to go in target 7 hours (see route here)
Day 2 (10/8/13) : Tanjore to Rameswaram. 246 Km to go in 5 hours (see route here)
Day 3 (11/8/13): Rameswaram to Chennai. 586 Km to go in 10-11 hours (see route here)

Chennai-Tanjore route was simply NH45 till Trichy and NH67 thereafter all the way to Tanjore. Both the roads are pretty good and nothing to worry about them.

From Tanjore to Rameswaram , I took the following route: Tanjore>>Pattukotai>>Adirampattinam >>(join ECR)>>Ramnathpuram>>Rameswaram. Road to Adirampattinam goes around villages and small towns. Road quality is Ok. Precaution is advised as many population settlements are nearby. After Adirampattinam, one can join the ECR (mentioned as SH 200 in many maps) and the road quality is fantastic. Until you reach Ramnathpuram, you will not get much restaurants and fuel pumps. Also, no support available for any mechanical breakdowns.

Rameswaram return to Chennai route took me through Ramnathpuram>>Parmakudi>>Ilyangudi>> Sivganga and Melur before we joined NH 45B at Melur. Excellent roads throughout the way and faced no driving related issues. Once crossing Trichy, we were back on our familiar NH 45 route. Leaving Rameswaram at around 12:30 PM, we reached our home in Chennai at 9:00 PM in the night.

Cheers and happy motoring!!!
Hart-BEAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 15:09   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Hyper VTEC,

Although the desire to command one's vehicle on explore remote roads comes naturally, I will suggest to excuse Dhnaushkodi region.

To begin with, the whole area is covered with slush and sand. Normal 2WD hatchbacks and sedans just don't stand a chance. Their ground clearance will fail to negotiate even the smallest sand bar one encounters on the way.

Even if one has a 4WD meaty SUV, still it is not advisable to go there without a guide. The reason is that Dhanushkodi gets swamped by sea during high tide and any vehicle tread marks on sand disappear. Even veteran drivers who ply the route for a living get stuck in this area. The jeep that took me got stuck twice. I saw a mini bus on the way with its under body hugging the ground and its wheel completely embedded in sand. Being in a remote area, if you are stuck, you are on you own. The saline air and water creates a rusting nightmare. The jeep that carried us had special tar-like paint on its under body to prevent rusting. Despite of it, I can see that it was loosing the war against rust. Hence, I can suggest the follwoing two options that were plying at Dhanushkodi:

You can use either this:

Chennai - Rameshwaram : Route Queries-ride-dhanushkodi.jpg

Or this:

Chennai - Rameshwaram : Route Queries-hovercarft-dhanushkodi.jpg

I am kidding with option 2; that is only for the Coast guards!

Cheers and happy motoring!
Old 5th September 2013, 15:31   #131
BHPian

I'am planning for a trip from Chennai - Rameshwaram this weekend, After digging through this thread, i finalized the following route

Chennai-Trichy-Melur-Sivaganga-Paramakudi-Rameshwaram.

How is the road conditions between Melur till Rameshwaram? I guess its a state highway through out and it wont be like single lane village road. Is this route doable with a Hatch (Figo TDCI)?

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 5th September 2013 at 15:32.
Old 5th September 2013, 17:27   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
How is the road conditions between Melur till Rameshwaram? I guess its a state highway through out and it wont be like single lane village road. Is this route doable with a Hatch (Figo TDCI)?

Not that bad which a Figo cannot do without sweat. Its a pretty decent SH. from Melur till it hits NH49 (Madurai-Rameshwaram NH).
Old 18th August 2015, 13:16   #133
BHPian

I have a function to attend in Chennai on Thursday and we want to make it into a weekend trip to Rameswaram.

Wanted to enquire about the latest road conditions from Pondicherry to Rameswaram. We plan to stay over at Pondicherry and then proceed to Rameswaram the next morning.

Planning to take the following route -
Pondy -> Villupuram -> Trichy -> Melur -> Sivaganga -> Paramakudi -> Rameswaram.

I heard Villupuram till Melur is a 4 laned NH.

Wanted to know how the road condition is from Melur -> Rameswaram.
Also any info on traffic on Villupuram -> Melur NH stretch would be much appreciated.

Anybody done this route lately or have any info on the road condition ?
Old 18th August 2015, 15:34   #134
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
Wanted to know how the road condition is from Melur -> Rameswaram.
From what I know this stretch is a good 2 laned road, nothing to be concerned
Don't know about the Pondy-Villupuram-Trichy stretch though.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 15:51   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
Planning to take the following route -
Pondy -> Villupuram -> Trichy -> Melur -> Sivaganga -> Paramakudi -> Rameswaram.
I had done Karaikudi - Trichy - Villupuram - Chennai this May.

Road till Trichy is 4 lane, from there till Karaikudi is good two lane road.

I have heard mixed reviews about Karaikudi - Rameswaram (~120 KMs, 2 lane road). However as per reports it is possible to cover this in 3 hours.
So, it may not make sense in taking route via Melur.

Traffic is bit on higher side around Villupuram and Trichy, however else it is fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks