Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2015, 22:00   #151
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
1) Since you are in OMR, ECR route is obviously convenient but it is comparatively slower. Be prepared for heavy traffic beyond Pondy till Chidambaram.

2) Darasuram temple won't be open at 2 pm. Usually they open around 4.30 pm.

-Ravi
Thanks. Any feedback on whether rest of the route is optimal?
Old 8th September 2015, 17:54   #152
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
Thanks. Any feedback on whether rest of the route is optimal?
Should be fine. I don't see any problems. Have a safe trip !

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 21:56   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Route validation needed
1. I stay on OMR. Planning to use ECR to reach Chidambaram (GST doesn't make sense?)
I would say take the Thiruporur-Chengalpet SH and get on to 4-lane. Take the Tindivanam-Vikravandi-Panruti-Sethiyarthope-Chidambaram route.
Crossing Mahabalipuram, Pondicherry and Cuddalore can be a huge pain.

Quote:
2. From Chidambaram, planning to do Sethiyathope, Thirupananthal, Kumbakonam, Thanjavur route to reach Karaikudi. Is this the best route?
Yes that is a good option to take instead of going via Sirkazhi/Mayavaram.

Quote:
3. Is Darasuram temple open at around 2 PM. If so, will stop on the way, else will proceed to Karaikudi directly. Will it be possible to reach Karaikudi before nightfall assuming I start from Chennai at 7 AM and with 1.5 hour stops each at Chidambaram and Darasuram temple?
Ravi already answered that question.

Quote:
4. From Karaikudi to Rameshwaram planning to do Devakottai, Mangalam, Devipattinam
No Issues there.

Quote:
5. Rameshwaram to Chennai will be via Karaikudi, Trichy, Villupuram. Will start at 11 AM and want to reach Chennai by 7 PM.
Again a perfect route. No issues.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 13:01   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Came back from Rameshwaram yesterday.

TTDC Rameshwaram was very bad. We had taken 3 bedded AC room and it was not in the main hotel complex, but in another side, so no sea view. I had paid in advance through their website for 2 nights. First of all there is no room service even for tea/coffee. The first night there were bed bugs (khatmal in hindi) and all 3 of us could not sleep. Bathrooms were filthy to say the least. We decided not to continue for the second night and travel to Madurai for visit.

On the way back met with a accident (near Madurai) and came to Chennai directly without going to Madurai.
Hello there,

I read your comments about your stay in TTDC hotel only now, two years post posting.

My apologies for recommending the TTDC hotel to you.

What did TTDC top brass say about this poor service?

They should not be allowed to get away with shoddy standards.

When I stayed with them my rooms were acceptable and sea facing.

Also, how is your car?
Old 9th September 2015, 14:42   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say take the Thiruporur-Chengalpet SH and get on to 4-lane. Take the Tindivanam-Vikravandi-Panruti-Sethiyarthope-Chidambaram route.
Is the Vikravandi-Panruti -Sethiyarthope (NH45B) relayed? If not, then you can consider Ulundurpet-Vridachalam-Sethiyarthope-Bhuvanagiri road. I know it sounds counter intuitive as you are closer to ECR. But trust me you would be saving a lot of time and hassle here. For reach GST from OMR you can either reach using Medavakkam - Mambakkam road or Thiruporur - Chengalpattu route.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 16:41   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Is the Vikravandi-Panruti -Sethiyarthope (NH45B) relayed? If not, then you can consider Ulundurpet-Vridachalam-Sethiyarthope-Bhuvanagiri road. I know it sounds counter intuitive as you are closer to ECR. But trust me you would be saving a lot of time and hassle here. For reach GST from OMR you can either reach using Medavakkam - Mambakkam road or Thiruporur - Chengalpattu route.
What you say definitely makes sense. Even I thought about it. But since he plans to go to Chidambaram, I was thinking wont it be too big a detour?
Old 9th September 2015, 19:56   #157
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Quote:
What you say definitely makes sense. Even I thought about it. But since he plans to go to Chidambaram, I was thinking wont it be too big a detour?
Thanks DWind and ampere for your suggestions.

Small change of plan: I have to stop at Cuddalore (instead of Chidambaram) and go to Kumbakonam directly from Cuddalore.

Still planning to skip ECR and do GST via Thiruporur->Chengalpet ->Tindivanam -> Omandur->Therkunam->Pulichapallam->Pondi->Cuddalore
Old 9th September 2015, 21:04   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Small change of plan: I have to stop at Cuddalore (instead of Chidambaram) and go to Kumbakonam directly from Cuddalore.
Still planning to skip ECR and do GST via Thiruporur->Chengalpet ->Tindivanam -> Omandur->Therkunam->Pulichapallam->Pondi->Cuddalore
In that case, it gain to take the 4-lane reduces. But I think it still makes sense. How ever I dont think there is a bypass for Pondicherry.

Later come to Vadalur and go via Sethiyarthope-Anaikarai to Kumbakonam.
Old 10th September 2015, 12:39   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks DWind and ampere for your suggestions.

Quote:
In that case, it gain to take the 4-lane reduces. But I think it still makes sense. How ever I dont think there is a bypass for Pondicherry.

Later come to Vadalur and go via Sethiyarthope-Anaikarai to Kumbakonam.

@KRN, If you don't have to goto Chidambaram, then from Cuddalore to Kumbakonam, take the below route via Bhuvanagiri where road conditions are good. Road conditions are always not good between Cuddalore-Vadalur-Sethiyathopu. Also, you don't have to go via Chidambaram-Mayavaram to reach kumbakonam. The below route avoids heavy traffic between Chidambaram-Mayavaram-Kumbakonam and also avoids bad roads around Vadalur.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Cu...10.9616945!3e0

From Cuddalore, keep driving straight until you reach B.Mutlur and then take right there instead of going straight towards Chidambaram. Keep driving until you see a bridge on your left that crosses Vellar River. Don't get misled by the board signs as it will tempt/confuse you. Take the bridge on your left and take right immediately to join Sethiyathopu-Chidambaram road. Keep driving to join NH45C to join Kumbakonam road. Watch out for the Z style right turn at the end you have to take to join NH45C.

If you are driving in dark, suggest to keep GPS, but locals are very helpful.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 10th September 2015 at 12:48.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 15:19   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hello there,

I read your comments about your stay in TTDC hotel only now, two years post posting.

My apologies for recommending the TTDC hotel to you.

What did TTDC top brass say about this poor service?

They should not be allowed to get away with shoddy standards.

When I stayed with them my rooms were acceptable and sea facing.

Also, how is your car?
Nothing to apologize. It was not your fault

I didn't follow up with any one after that. I thought what can be done about govt. facility. I moved on.

Car was repaired and i drove about another few thousand kms. Sold it off this Feb. I upgraded to a Safari Storme around Nov' 14.
Old 10th September 2015, 21:41   #161
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post

From Cuddalore, keep driving straight until you reach B.Mutlur and then take right there instead of going straight towards Chidambaram. Keep driving until you see a bridge on your left that crosses Vellar River. Don't get misled by the board signs as it will tempt/confuse you. Take the bridge on your left and take right immediately to join Sethiyathopu-Chidambaram road. Keep driving to join NH45C to join Kumbakonam road. Watch out for the Z style right turn at the end you have to take to join NH45C.

-Ravi
Thanks Ravi. I was able to trace this route in Google Maps thanks to your very detailed route instructions. Will rely on this and GPS for the trip
Old 17th October 2016, 15:25   #162
BHPian

A friend is driving to Velankanni from Kanyakumari and plan to stay at Ramanathapuram. Please suggest budget hotels for family stay? Those near to ECR preferred.
Old 17th October 2016, 16:22   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
A friend is driving to Velankanni from Kanyakumari and plan to stay at Ramanathapuram. Please suggest budget hotels for family stay? Those near to ECR preferred.
If he is driving with family, then for a small exrta detour I thin the following is a a route which has more facilities :

Kanyakumari-Madurai bypass -Melur - Karaikudi - Aranthangi - Thiruthuraipoondi - Velankanni
Old 17th October 2016, 16:30   #164
BHPian

Quote:
If he is driving with family, then for a small exrta detour I thin the following is a a route which has more facilities :

Kanyakumari-Madurai bypass -Melur - Karaikudi - Aranthangi - Thiruthuraipoondi - Velankanni
Thanks, ampere for the suggestion. But he wish to visit Manapad, Tiruchendur, Tuticorin, Oriyur etc. places en-route, so his planned journey will be entirely through ECR.

Would be great if current road conditions also shared.
Old 17th October 2016, 16:53   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Thanks, ampere for the suggestion. But he wish to visit Manapad, Tiruchendur, Tuticorin, Oriyur etc. places en-route, so his planned journey will be entirely through ECR.

Would be great if current road conditions also shared.
If thats the case then,

ECR is usally good (dont know the current status), but has near zero facilities. And instead of Ramnad, Karaikudi may be a btter place to look for a break.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks