Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 14:47   #16
BHPian

re: Chennai - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Any idea why you've chosen the above route? I did this trip exactly an year back. While going towards Rameswaram I took the route mentioned by the OP, barring few stretches the whole route had well laid out roads.

But while coming back, I took the route you've mentioned. Right after crossing Ramnad till reaching outskirts of Trichy, the roads were very bad, and it took quite a lot of time to cover the entire stretch.

I would suggest double check the conditions of roads from Paramagudi to Melur.
Hi Cliffhanger, I read through different forums and understand that the route from Trichy to Rameswaram through NH210 (Pudukottai - Karaikudi) is in bad shape. Hence chose this option.

You have indicated about taking the route mentioned by OP about an year back which was good. Which route is this?
Old 16th December 2011, 15:21   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
You have indicated about taking the route mentioned by OP about an year back which was good. Which route is this?
Typo on my previous post. The distance from Trichy to Rameshvaram via Melur should about 280 and not 325.
(I just confirmed with Google maps)

Coming to NH210, I think its the same route, that @CH is referring to. Mostly this route is used by the buses to
Rameshwaram from Chennai. Not sure of the current status from Karaikudi to Ramnad. Till then its decent.
You can do about 60-80kmph.

On the other hand, I think NH49 is also pretty decent. There route difference is hardly 30-40km more
compared to Karaikudi route. But the fact that you get 100km of 4L on the NH45B, makes this a much better option.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 17:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Chennai - Trichy - Karaikudi - Devakottai - Ramnad - Mandapam - Rameswaram.

When I travelled last year I found the above route to be better than the one you've decided to take.

I drove at nights for both onward and return journey. Traffic at numerous small towns from Trichy could be irritating during day time, if you are planning for a relaxed journey.

Also, take it easy while driving on country roads, since the rains have just gotten over, roads at a lot of stretches could be really bad and can bottom out your Punto.

Tip - Don't wash your car in Rameswaram as the water there is very salty.( This is in case you've the habit of washing your car once you reach your travel destination)

Edit:

In case you've not booked your accomodation yet, I would suggest you to take a look at Hotel Shanmuga paradise once you reach there.

The Hotel offered a pretty basic AC room which was clean, but the good side was it was right next to the temple, hence my mom and sister were able to visit the temple and other shopping spots a lot of times.

Also, this time of the year is the best time to visit Dhanuskodi as the weather will be pretty nice, so don't miss it. Please note that you'll have to hire a jeep as normals cars will not be able to reach the place.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 16th December 2011 at 17:24.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 18:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chennai -> Trichy ->Melur ->Sivaganga ->Manamadurai ->Paramagudi ->Ramnad -> Rameswaram.

Starting at 12.00 Noon
I haven't done this shortcut from Melur or NH210 via Karaikudi. But based on the Madurai-Rameswaram and umpteen Madurai trips made. Am sure you can make it to Rameswaram the same day, albeit a bit late like 10-11pm ish.

I started from T.Nagar at 1230 and was at TVS tollgate by 520, Madurai 4-lane end is another 90 min. From that point to Ramnad is ~ 2-2:15 hrs and Rameswaram is another 40 min thereon.

Out of this Madurai, Rameswaram are the best accomodation options then Ramnad and then Sivaganga.

Devipattinam-Devakottai was bad as per last reports and 530-830pm is busy traffic time in small towns, so negotiating Pudukottai especially could be a challenge.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 22:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I haven't done this shortcut from Melur or NH210 via Karaikudi. But based on the Madurai-Rameswaram and umpteen Madurai trips made. Am sure you can make it to Rameswaram the same day, albeit a bit late like 10-11pm ish.
narayans80, Thanks for your inputs. The timings was something which I was thinking of asking next and you have clarified my doubts. Based on all the inputs, I am sticking to my original planned route. I dont mind driving 40 extra kms in a 4-lane. Moreover, I am skeptical about driving after dark particularly on unfamiliar stretches. Hence I plan to halt at Trichy

Quote:
Chennai - Trichy - Karaikudi - Devakottai - Ramnad - Mandapam - Rameswaram.

When I travelled last year I found the above route to be better than the one you've decided to take.

I drove at nights for both onward and return journey. Traffic at numerous small towns from Trichy could be irritating during day time, if you are planning for a relaxed journey.

Also, take it easy while driving on country roads, since the rains have just gotten over, roads at a lot of stretches could be really bad and can bottom out your Punto.

Tip - Don't wash your car in Rameswaram as the water there is very salty.( This is in case you've the habit of washing your car once you reach your travel destination)

Edit:

In case you've not booked your accomodation yet, I would suggest you to take a look at Hotel Shanmuga paradise once you reach there.

The Hotel offered a pretty basic AC room which was clean, but the good side was it was right next to the temple, hence my mom and sister were able to visit the temple and other shopping spots a lot of times.

Also, this time of the year is the best time to visit Dhanuskodi as the weather will be pretty nice, so don't miss it. Please note that you'll have to hire a jeep as normals cars will not be able to reach the place.
Cliffhanger, thanks for your tip on not washing the car and the hotel. I have not booked any accomodation yet. Will search and book the hotel Shanmuga Paradise soon. Dhanushkodi is very much in the plan and that is the reason why i plan to stay in Rameswarm for a night so that i get 2 days there. Thanks again for all your inputs

Last weekend, my Punto reached a milestone of 25K kms when we drove to Melmaruvathur. It has been 25K smiles so far. I need to get the wheel balancing and alignment done before I start this trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Typo on my previous post. The distance from Trichy to Rameshvaram via Melur should about 280 and not 325.
(I just confirmed with Google maps)

On the other hand, I think NH49 is also pretty decent. There route difference is hardly 30-40km more
compared to Karaikudi route. But the fact that you get 100km of 4L on the NH45B, makes this a much better option.
Thanks Ampere. I also prefer driving through 4-laned NH to the max extent possible. So NH210 is off the list. From Rameswaram, i will be driving to Tuticorin through ECR and Sunday we are driving back to Bangalore which are pretty much standard routes. This is going to be one interesting trip hopefully.
Old 17th December 2011, 07:53   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats a good one @CH. So obvious a thing, but most times, we over look such trivial
points. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb
Thanks Ampere. I also prefer driving through 4-laned NH to the max extent possible. So NH210 is off the list. From Rameswaram,
i will be driving to Tuticorin through ECR and Sunday we are driving back to Bangalore which are pretty much standard routes. This is going to be one interesting trip hopefully.
Wow! A full circle.
So you are back on your home turf. (Tuticorin-Madurai, 45B).
Have a good drive.
Old 17th December 2011, 09:25   #22
J.Ravi

Quote:
I am sticking to my original planned route. I dont mind driving 40 extra kms in a 4-lane. Moreover, I am skeptical about driving after dark particularly on unfamiliar stretches. Hence I plan to halt at Trichy.
The route chosen by you is a good one. Google Maps shows a distance of 639 km from Chennai to Rameswaram on this route. If you leave Chennai by 4 am, you can easily reach Rameswaram by 5 pm the same day including breaks so that you can avoid one intervening night halt.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 17th December 2011 at 09:31.
  (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 10:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
The route chosen by you is a good one. Google Maps shows a distance of 639 km from Chennai to Rameswaram on this route. If you leave Chennai by 4 am, you can easily reach Rameswaram by 5 pm the same day including breaks so that you can avoid one intervening night halt.
Hi Ravi, Thanks for your suggestion and confirmation on the route. I have an interview at US consulate at 9.30AM on 27th. That is the reason why I am hoping I can start from Chennai only by 12.00 Noon.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 10:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! A full circle.
So you are back on your home turf. (Tuticorin-Madurai, 45B).
Have a good drive.
Thanks Ampere. The total drive is going to be about 1800kms in a week. Eagerly looking forward to the Rameswaram and Dhanushkodi trip. Your idea about Trichy halt bought another idea of visiting Tanjore Brihadeeshwarar temple if we reach Trichy early. Do you have any idea about the driving time from Trichy to Tanjore and the road conditions?
Old 17th December 2011, 10:54   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you have any idea about the driving time from Trichy to Tanjore and the road conditions?
Another 4L belter! 40 minutes is all it takes!

NH67 is being widened and also four-laned.

Trichy-Tanjore done.
Karur-Trichy in Progress.

Quote:
Wow. Did not know that Trichy - Tanjore is 4-laned. That settles it. Lord Brihadeeswara, here we come. Thanks once again ampere.
Thanks to Ravi, here is reference to a hotel in Tanjore.

HOTEL GNANAM: Thanjavur.............

Last edited by ampere : 17th December 2011 at 11:12.
Old 17th December 2011, 11:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:

NH67 is being widened and also four-laned.

Trichy-Tanjore done.
Karur-Trichy in Progress.
Wow. Did not know that Trichy - Tanjore is 4-laned. That settles it. Lord Brihadeeswara, here we come. Thanks once again ampere.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 11:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow. Did not know that Trichy - Tanjore is 4-laned. That settles it. Lord Brihadeeswara, here we come.
Visiting Thanjavur will slightly alter the route for you.

If you are looking to see more temples and make it to Rameswaram, here's what I did:Visit Thirunageswaram, Uppiliappan and Thirunallar and take the ECR from Karaikkal. The roads are a gem, but facilities minimal. Tank up at Karaikal (cheaper fuel and proceed). Thanjavur-Kumbakonam is very good, albeit a bit trafficked, Kumbakonam-Karaikal was being relaid last winter but is good compared to its historical condition. Infact you can plan to stay at Kumbakonam if you are considering this.

Thanjavur-Kumbakonam is 40km ~ 45 min
Kumbakonam-Karaikal is 58 km ~ 75 min
Karaikal-Ramnad ~ 200 km ~ 4 hr
Ramnad-Rameswaram ~ 50 km ~ 45 min

If not, taking Pattukottai, Adiramapattinam and taking ECR from there would be the shortest route for you. But am not sure of road condition of Thanjavur to Pattukottai and thereon to ECR.

Quote:
I have an interview at US consulate at 9.30AM on 27th.
You'll approximately be out of the gate approximately 1030-11, this is the update as of yesterday for a colleague

Last edited by narayans80 : 17th December 2011 at 11:47.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 11:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Visiting Thanjavur will slightly alter the route for you.

If you are looking to see more temples and make it to Rameswaram, here's what I did:Visit Thirunageswaram, Uppiliappan and Thirunallar and take the ECR from Karaikkal. The roads are a gem, but facilities minimal.

If not, taking Pattukottai, Adiramapattinam and taking ECR from there would be the shortest route for you. But am not sure of road condition of Thanjavur to Pattukottai and thereon to ECR.
narayans80, thanks for bringing up this proposal. My main aim is to visit Rameswaram to complete the Kailash - Rameswaram yatra in same year. Thanjavur temple is an added bonus now enroute. I am traveling with wife and kids and hence donot intend to make the journey too hectic for them.

But the option of traveling from Thanjavur to ramnad through Pattukottai and ECR looks lucrative. I was initially planning to go back to Trichy and stay there for the night. Now I can stay in Thanjavur and take Pattukottai road the next day.

The distance from Pattukottai to Sethubhavachatram is 70kms and as indicated by you nobody is sure how bad this 70kms is going to be. Ampere et all, any pointers here?

Quote:
You'll approximately be out of the gate approximately 1030-11, this is the update as of yesterday for a colleague
Thank you very much. I did not know whom to ask this, but you gave the answer. When I went to Delhi for my B1 visa 6 years ago, I had to wait until evening even though my interview timing was 11.00AM.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The distance from Pattukottai to Sethubhavachatram is 70kms and as indicated by you nobody is sure how bad this 70kms is going to be. Ampere et all, any pointers here?
This seems to be the only update on thbp. Try sending a PM to Harshavarthan, he might know better than us.
Old 30th December 2011, 14:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Ampere, thanks for all your suggestions. We have had a wonderful trip from Chennai to Tuticorin covering Melmaruvathur, Srirangam, Thanjavur, Rameswaram, Devipattanam and couple more temples around Ramnad. Should owe this wonderful journey to you.

Quote:

narayans80, thanks for this wonderful suiggestion as well. The road has been excellent all the way from Thanjavur to Adhirampatinam and then the ECR. Stress free driving.

You were also bang on target. We got out of the US embassy by 11.00AM
gopikb is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks