Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2009, 17:51   #1
BHPian

Travelling through MP

Hi All,

I am planning a trip to Delhi from Cochin in coming April. Enroute I would like to visit Shirdi. So From Shirdi Which is the best and shortest route to Delhi? How safe is travelling through Indore, Gwalior, Agra route expecially the Chambal area? Please help

Thanks
Old 6th January 2009, 18:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Avoid Chambal area at night, they are fine in day time. You planning to take the Mumbai Agra Highway? you can skip that & take following route

Ahemdnagar- Jalgaon(bypass dont need to go through jalgaon) Bhusaval- Burhanpur- Indore
Old 7th January 2009, 09:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Avoid Chambal area at night, they are fine in day time. You planning to take the Mumbai Agra Highway? you can skip that & take following route

Ahemdnagar- Jalgaon(bypass dont need to go through jalgaon) Bhusaval- Burhanpur- Indore
Yes I was planning to take the Mumbai-Agra NH3. How is the road condition? Any idea? Also the route mentioned by you is longer or shorter than NH3? Again how is the road condition of that one?

Thanks
Old 7th January 2009, 19:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
Yes I was planning to take the Mumbai-Agra NH3. How is the road condition? Any idea? Also the route mentioned by you is longer or shorter than NH3? Again how is the road condition of that one?

Thanks
Well from Indore you will be taking NH3 anyway , Chambal Area is not that bad either , NH3 is excellent from Gwalior to Delhi. Visit Ghariyal Century at Chambal which is 24 KM from Gwalior towards Agra. If time is not a premium you can visit Gwalior fort.

At Agra do not take bypass which trucks take as it has 2 railway crossings but pass through middle of the city , Do I need to mention Taj if this is your first time to Agra ?

If you have to go near to Gurgaon then there is a another road passing from Palwal- Hodal
after Mathura which you can take instead of going to Delhi via Faridabad ( Its many years now so people in NCR region may correct me) be careful in rural areas of Hariyana and Western Up that can be more dangerous then Chambal.

Last edited by amitk26 : 7th January 2009 at 19:05.
Old 8th January 2009, 09:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well from Indore you will be taking NH3 anyway , Chambal Area is not that bad either , NH3 is excellent from Gwalior to Delhi. Visit Ghariyal Century at Chambal which is 24 KM from Gwalior towards Agra. If time is not a premium you can visit Gwalior fort.

At Agra do not take bypass which trucks take as it has 2 railway crossings but pass through middle of the city , Do I need to mention Taj if this is your first time to Agra ?

If you have to go near to Gurgaon then there is a another road passing from Palwal- Hodal
after Mathura which you can take instead of going to Delhi via Faridabad ( Its many years now so people in NCR region may correct me) be careful in rural areas of Hariyana and Western Up that can be more dangerous then Chambal.
@Amit, how is the road condition from Nashisk-Indore-Gwalior?
Old 8th January 2009, 10:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Amit, how is the road condition from Nashisk-Indore-Gwalior?
Well I am not aware about road condition from Nasik - Indore - Gwalior as I have not traveled on that stretch but have heard that NH3 as a whole is good being part of GQ.
Old 8th January 2009, 10:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well I am not aware about road condition from Nasik - Indore - Gwalior as I have not traveled on that stretch but have heard that NH3 as a whole is good being part of GQ.
NH3 is not part of GQ.

Sudheermenon,

Might be a good idea to PM "lord of indian highways" (hvkumar) and request him to respond to this thread.

Also look at the following thread for road conditions from Nashik to Indore.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ad-b-lore.html

IMO, you are better off taking the route suggested by Technocrat to Indore and then from there, take NH3.
Old 8th January 2009, 13:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sudheermenon the route I suggested is longer but the roads are much better than NH3

Quote:
Chambal Area is not that bad either
Care to explain? have you traveled at night from that area particularly Sendhwa?
Old 8th January 2009, 14:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Sudheermenon the route I suggested is longer but the roads are much better than NH3

Care to explain? have you traveled at night from that area particularly Sendhwa?
yes I originally belong to Gwalior and traveled many times , If your concern is about robbery etc , NH3 passing from Chambal area is no longer a hot spot , You have exactly the same probability of getting looted at many other portions on NH3 and around Gwalior most dangerous spot would be
Jaurasi Ghati on Jhansi road.

By the way Sendhwa is in Barwani district which is nearer to Indore and lies in malwa region and quite far from the area we are discussing which lies between Morena ( M.P) and Dhaulpur ( Rajasthan).

As per distance calculator Sendhwa is 700+ KM away from the Chambal region.

Madhya Pradesh Distance Calculator, Distance Between Cities, Distance Chart (India)

Malwa is generally considered pleasent and people are also good so what is it about Sendhwa you are trying to indicate I am not aware of it.

Last edited by amitk26 : 8th January 2009 at 14:34.
Old 8th January 2009, 16:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for correcting me Amit, but yes I was talking about Sendhwa which is a dacoit prone zone on NH3.

I had once traveled through Chambal on our way from Agra to Indore & it sure looked deserted, thankfully we were traveling in day time.
Old 8th January 2009, 17:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Heard that Indore-Dhulia stretch of NH3 is being 4-laned. Normally good at this time of the year, but never liked that road.

Once you cross into MP, roads crack up.

Indore and Dewas have bypasses, so that makes the drive through these towns a little easier.

Once you cross Shahjahanpur (north of Indore), the drive is boring, lonely and poor in facilities. I have driven through this stretch in the night, but I would avoid it.

Gwalior-Agra is fantastic now, since it is part of the NS Corridor (like GQ).

Nothing to fear in the Chambal region, bereft of facilities and eerie by night, but doable.

Navigating Agra city is a pain, although the signages are good.

The Agra bypass, I heard, is now in good condition and comes out on NH2 after Sikandra.

Last edited by hvkumar : 8th January 2009 at 17:11.
Old 8th January 2009, 18:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

For taking breaks between Indore Gwalior stretch after shahajanpur following places are OK. Biawra quite a few Dhabas but you can not
stay here as far as I remember.

Shivpuri : Motel Chinkara on NH3, nice place decent rooms.

if you are reaching Gwalior by late evening and too afraid to cross the area during night at all costs then take a night halt at hotels near to railway station for directions ask any one for railway station and once you are there look for the hotel of your choice.

you can choose between the following places to stay Hotel Regency , Motel Tansen, Hotel Sheltor, Central park or Landmark all of them are near to railway station

Landmark ,Sheltor and central park are mid range , Regency and Motel Tansen are little pricey.
Usha Kiran Palace is high end and is owned by Taj group.

Except Usha Kiran dont book any other place on net just walk in for better and realistic rates.

For cheap options at the station area and ask for guest hose to the Dhaba / shop owners and they can direct you to some of the decent and cheap places nearby.

The deviation from A.B. Road ( NH3) to railway station is not too much ( around 5-6) KM and worth rather then staying at some seedy place near to AB Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Once you cross Shahjahanpur (north of Indore), the drive is boring, lonely and poor in facilities. I have driven through this stretch in the night, but I would avoid it.

Gwalior-Agra is fantastic now, since it is part of the NS Corridor (like GQ).

Nothing to fear in the Chambal region, bereft of facilities and eerie by night, but doable.

Navigating Agra city is a pain, although the signages are good.

The Agra bypass, I heard, is now in good condition and comes out on NH2 after Sikandra.

Last edited by amitk26 : 8th January 2009 at 18:41.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:10   #13
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys....

The Shirdi - Gwalior stretch is doable in a day?

I can start driving from morning 5AM and can drive upto 6.30-7PM in the evening. Since I am travelling with my familiy, I would like to avoid night driving as far as possible. Actually I hate driving at night!...
Old 9th January 2009, 10:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys....

The Shirdi - Gwalior stretch is doable in a day?

I can start driving from morning 5AM and can drive upto 6.30-7PM in the evening. Since I am travelling with my familiy, I would like to avoid night driving as far as possible. Actually I hate driving at night!...
It is around 1000+ KM and difficult in 12 - 13 hours for a single driver.
Which vehicle you are driving ?
Old 9th January 2009, 11:08   #15
BHPian

My car is Accent.

Anyone can show some light on Shirdi-Indore-Gwalior stretch please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks