Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2016, 13:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
Delhi - Godhra is >900 kms. A bit of a stretch, but doable. Should be ~16-18 hours worth of drive, factoring in at least 2 meal breaks and a couple of logistical ones. Some serious groups do the entire Delhi - Mumbai in 18-20 hrs flat (3-4 drivers).

I personally try to contain driving to <700 kms in a day especially if I don't have a replacement driver, leaves me enough energy to carry on the next day.

You could look at an alternative configuration, Delhi - Udaipur, Udaipur - Bombay. Almost equally divided, but you can start really early on both days and finish by ~5PM.
I would have loved to stop at Udaipur as it would have been easy day. However i have to be in Mumbai hotel latest by 1PM hence need to cover as much as i can on day1.

Talking of people doing this route in one day, a group of people who do that have suggested me to take Ratlam-Nasik route instead. They say it has better roads, less traffic and better managed than Vadodara route. Any idea bout this route?
Old 23rd September 2016, 14:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I would have loved to stop at Udaipur as it would have been easy day. However i have to be in Mumbai hotel latest by 1PM hence need to cover as much as i can on day1.

Talking of people doing this route in one day, a group of people who do that have suggested me to take Ratlam-Nasik route instead. They say it has better roads, less traffic and better managed than Vadodara route. Any idea bout this route?
I haven't been on that complete route, but had done the Ajmer - Bhilwara - Chittorgarh stretch 3 years ago. The roads are 4 lane but heavy on truck traffic. Also, Nashik - Bombay is a heavily traveled/trucked route, so expect some traffic there.
Old 24th September 2016, 23:45   #18

Hello folks,

I have a single weekend to drive a petrol Swift from Pune to Delhi, across a Saturday and Sunday.
I absolutely have no give time.

In terms of whether it can be done easily, given the state of the roads, and not having to really push the car to make it, is it advisable ?

Do weigh in here.

Thank you.
Old 25th September 2016, 10:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkathumpa View Post
Hello folks,

I have a single weekend to drive a petrol Swift from Pune to Delhi, across a Saturday and Sunday.
I absolutely have no give time.

In terms of whether it can be done easily, given the state of the roads, and not having to really push the car to make it, is it advisable ?

Do weigh in here.

Thank you.
It's certainly doable. Start early. Take two hourly short breaks. Include a power nap in between. Most suitable route is

Day 1: Pune - Udaipur
Day 2: Udaipur - Delhi

You'll find enough detailed route guides on the forum.

All the best.
Old 25th September 2016, 10:46   #20

Hi LithiumSunset,

Thank you so much for the details.
I'm not worried about being continuously on the road.

Slightly worried about the car and the condition of the roads given the recent pounding by the monsoon (which is great for reservoirs, but not for the roads, heh).

That being the deterrent to quick driving and safety is the real worry.
This trickles down to the time limit i guess
Old 25th September 2016, 23:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkathumpa View Post
Hi LithiumSunset,

Thank you so much for the details.
I'm not worried about being continuously on the road.

Slightly worried about the car and the condition of the roads given the recent pounding by the monsoon (which is great for reservoirs, but not for the roads, heh).

That being the deterrent to quick driving and safety is the real worry.
This trickles down to the time limit i guess
I think we underestimate our cars. If you think you can drive for 24 straight hours (or more) then your swift will not disappoint you. The limiting factor here is the driver's ability and not the car. There are drives that routinely cover a Mumbai - Delhi run non stop, sometimes with more than one driver (unless you are HVK, who does it alone, though it's not recommended for ordinary souls). I've myself done Aurangabad - Ajmer in a day.

These machines are tested for far more serious conditions, so relax, don't worry about the car but your own capabilities. Know your limits, judge the road conditions and drive safe. If you are confident then there's no stopping you. Or rather be confident and your car will not let you down as long as it's in good condition. I'm sure you'll ensure a full checkup just to be sure.

Just go ahead, you'll have some good stories to tell in the future.

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 25th September 2016 at 23:28.
Old 26th September 2016, 14:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
I think we underestimate our cars. If you think you can drive for 24 straight hours (or more) then your swift will not disappoint you. .
I completely agree with you , I also had this fear in my mind can my car hold up such a long drive and every time it never fails to surprise me. Similar was the situation last year when i thought of driving all the way to Pune from Delhi. It was 14 Hours drive with 30 mins of break to Ahemdabad and Next day it was approximately 10 hours drive to Pune with will-never-let-you-forget-me traffic at Thane. I wil be doing a trip back to Delhi sometime later next month and will look for updates on the forum about road conditions and all.
Old 27th September 2016, 00:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lHarpreetl View Post
...Similar was the situation last year when i thought of driving all the way to Pune from Delhi. It was 14 Hours drive with 30 mins of break to Ahemdabad and Next day it was approximately 10 hours drive to Pune with will-never-let-you-forget-me traffic at Thane. I wil be doing a trip back to Delhi ...
You probably meant Delhi to Pune?

:-)
Old 27th September 2016, 07:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
You probably meant Delhi to Pune?
Yes to Pune from Delhi or Delhi to Pune
Old 28th September 2016, 07:56   #25
BHPian

For my own Mumbai - Delhi trip in end October. Below are the route options shown by Google maps. Any suggestions on which is the best one? Especially interested in route info on and choosing between the Udaipur - Beawar and Udaipur - Chittorgarh - Bhilwara route.

A few other questions:

1. Ideal places to eat/refuel along this route?
2. Any suggestions for Hotels in Valsad, Udaipur, Ajmer?
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-route.jpg  

Old 28th September 2016, 10:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lHarpreetl View Post
Yes to Pune from Delhi or Delhi to Pune
So silly of me. My bad.

Old 29th September 2016, 13:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For my own Mumbai - Delhi trip in end October. Below are the route options shown by Google maps. Any suggestions on which is the best one? Especially interested in route info on and choosing between the Udaipur - Beawar and Udaipur - Chittorgarh - Bhilwara route.

A few other questions:

1. Ideal places to eat/refuel along this route?
2. Any suggestions for Hotels in Valsad, Udaipur, Ajmer?
After long discussions with many people, i have finally decided to take Delhi-Ratlam-Dhule-Mumbai route. One of the member just did this route (yesterday only) and he says roads are excellent.

I will start tonight and will update how it went (finger crossed)
Old 29th September 2016, 16:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
After long discussions with many people, i have finally decided to take Delhi-Ratlam-Dhule-Mumbai route. One of the member just did this route (yesterday only) and he says roads are excellent.

I will start tonight and will update how it went (finger crossed)
Good luck mate! Drive safe. Waiting to hear on the details. Will decide on my own route post your update. Both routes seem to cover Ajmer, which is a mandatory stop over for me.
Old 2nd October 2016, 08:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good luck mate! Drive safe. Waiting to hear on the details. Will decide on my own route post your update. Both routes seem to cover Ajmer, which is a mandatory stop over for me.
Hey varun. I reached mumbai yesterday in the afternoon. I took indore route and boy its good. Roads are fantastic all along except very few patches here and there. In this route i noticed that there is hardly any traffic after 7 pm so you can really cover great distance if you can drive at night. Its safe and roads are empty and that too smooth as butter. I wished i was alone then i would have reached mumbai in one day only😁.
Mind you there's hell lot of tolls on this route. From chittorgargh to Nashik there are trucks only and hardly any cars so its easy to overtake. Also there are many speed breakers from dhule to nashik.

Anyways i will take vadodara route while going back on 11th. Then i would post again here.

Let me know if you need anything else in specific. I would try to reply.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 13:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hey varun. I reached mumbai yesterday in the afternoon...
Glad to hear that Nitin. Sounds like you had a good time coming over.
How many hours did you take in total?

Re tolls i think you will find that you pay ~Re.1/Km as toll, the Baroda route has 1 toll every 50 odd kms and charge a similar amount.

My partner in crime pm25264 has voted for Surat - Baroda - Udaipur route, so will be taking that one, so more than eager to hear your first hand report of the way back. Especially the Jaipur - Delhi stretch on return (it was terrible ~3 years ago).

Good luck for your return trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks