Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2020, 12:02   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
Im planning Chandigarh to Mumbai next week in my Baleno.
Chandigarh - Ambala- Hissar - Makrana - Kishangarh

I will skip NH completely and take Right before Ambala on the new Hissar 4 Lane road. Very good new highway with hardly any traffic. Panipat - Sonipat is a mess and so are a lot of tolls on the Gurgaon- Jaipur Highway. Almost always, there are speed interceptors around Jaipur, multiple infact.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Chand...866303!3e0!5i1

From Kishangarh, you can take Ajmer/ Beawar/ Pali/ Sirohi/ Ahmedabad/ Vadodara- Mumbai. Via Udaipur can be a mess due to ongoing work on Udaipur- Ahmedabad highway. You should target first stop around Ahmedabad in case you want to do in 2 Days.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 15:35   #107

This is the return leg of the journey;
Route Report from Gurgaon (Delhi NCR) to Dombivili (Thane)

Route Taken
Gurgaon - Jaipur Bypass - Kishangarh - Ajmer - Beawar - Nathdwara - Udaipur - Shamlaji - Modasa - Godhra - Vadodara - Bharuch - Surat - Virar - Bhiwandi - Kalyan - Dombivili

Day 1 (Oct 17th, Saturday)
* Total Distance- 641 kms
* Time Taken- 10 hours
* Night Halt- The Amargarh, Udaipur

Notes
* Started from Gurgaon at 0405hrs.
* 122 km stretch of 2 lane road without divider from Beawar till Dhaneen - Very few petrol pumps and eateries on this stretch.
* Crossed Udaipur through city roads as it was the same time on Google Maps, although in hindsight should have taken the bypass.

Day 2 (Oct 18th, Sunday)
* Total Distance- 732 kms
* Time Taken- 13 hrs 40 minutes.

Notes
* Started journey at 0415hrs.
* Encountered heavy city traffic from Vadodara till Surat.
* Reached Virar (680kms) in 11 hours & 45 minutes. The next segment of 51 kms took 2 hours!
* Decided to take the scenic route via Paye Gaon instead of the usual Thane route - Very scenic initially but horrible roads and traffic - This segment should be avoided.
adityaKushwaha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 13:58   #108
JSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Chandigarh - Ambala- Hissar - Makrana - Kishangarh

I will skip NH completely and take Right before Ambala on the new Hissar 4 Lane road. Very good new highway with hardly any traffic. Panipat - Sonipat is a mess and so are a lot of tolls on the Gurgaon- Jaipur Highway. Almost always, there are speed interceptors around Jaipur, multiple infact.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Chand...866303!3e0!5i1

From Kishangarh, you can take Ajmer/ Beawar/ Pali/ Sirohi/ Ahmedabad/ Vadodara- Mumbai. Via Udaipur can be a mess due to ongoing work on Udaipur- Ahmedabad highway. You should target first stop around Ahmedabad in case you want to do in 2 Days.
Thanks, I am doing Mohali to Pune this weekend, so this helps.

Is this alternate route (Ambala-Kaithal-Hisar-Churu-Sikar-Kishangarh) better than std route (Ambala-Panipat-Sonipat-Jaipur-Kishangarh)? Is it proper divided highway all the way? How much time did this take you?

Cheers
Old 26th October 2020, 10:50   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
I too am going to Jaipur later this month and will be taking the Pali route for sure. A colleague of mine just returned from Delhi along the Pali route and reports that it still is in excellent shape.

Hey I am also planning to make this same trip this week. Was wondering about the real world drive time between Ahmedabad and Jaipur. Ahmedabad to Abu Road is Usually a 3:40 to 3:55 minute drive that I have made multiple times, but the road ahead is a first time drive for me. Can I realistically leave AMD at 4 AM and plan to reach Jaipur by 2 PM? Or is that too optimistic? Any guidance will be much appreciated. Will be travelling with seasoned road travelers so I plan on making just 2 10-15 minute tea breaks every 250 KM or so.
Old 26th October 2020, 20:12   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Noida-Mumbai Route Update:
Thanks a lot for sharing the update. I am planning a road trip from Thane to Agra via Indore. Planning a night halt at Indore.

Driving in my C Class with family. Concerned about the bad patches between Indore and Gwalior. Any insights on the road conditions or any suggestions on yhe route to be followed.

Thanks

Last edited by ampere : 27th October 2020 at 22:39. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 27th October 2020, 14:52   #111
JSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankarG View Post
Great. I am considering the route Via. Indore as I have some relatives there to catch up to. The review of this route is decent as shared by sinharishi in one of his travelogue to Mumbai. I will try and share updates before you commence your journey.
Have a safe trip.
Hi Shankar - did you make the trip? Any feedback?

I am starting on Friday and inclined to take this route via Jodhpur. Any feedback is appreciated

https://goo.gl/maps/8hMtF97jADCDD15w5
Old 27th October 2020, 19:27   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB View Post
Hi Shankar - did you make the trip? Any feedback?

I am starting on Friday and inclined to take this route via Jodhpur. Any feedback is appreciated

https://goo.gl/maps/8hMtF97jADCDD15w5
Hey. I am doing just one leg this weekend i.e. Noida to Indore and back. Some issues in Pune for now so have to defer that plan to December may be.
The route via Rajasthan is definitely good.
Good luck and drive safe.
ShankarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 21:13   #113
ais
BHPian

Im on my way from Panchkula to Mumbai. Ambala Hisar Jodhpur route is excellent. Jodhpur to Sirohi is good. Things get bad in Shining Gujarat. Avoid the Palanpur Mehsana Kalol road as you will need to go through Ahmedabad to join NE1. Instead turn left from Abu road and come via Himmatnagar to avoid internal Ahmedabad. I haven't tried it but surely will to avoid checking out the anatomy of Ahmedabad. Please post feedback here.

Ill post detailed update on completing the trip. Presently I'm at the night halt at Vadodara (yesterday was Jodhpur).
ais is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 21:48   #114
JSB

Quote:
Im on my way from Panchkula to Mumbai. Ambala Hisar Jodhpur route is excellent. Jodhpur to Sirohi is good. Things get bad in Shining Gujarat. Avoid the Palanpur Mehsana Kalol road as you will need to go through Ahmedabad to join NE1. Instead turn left from Abu road and come via Himmatnagar to avoid internal Ahmedabad. I haven't tried it but surely will to avoid checking out the anatomy of Ahmedabad. Please post feedback here.

Ill post detailed update on completing the trip. Presently I'm at the night halt at Vadodara (yesterday was Jodhpur).
Ah perfect timing Thanks a bunch!

I will take the same route then.. Chandigarh-Ambala-Hisar-Jodhpur-Sirohi on Day1.. and then Sirohi-Himmatnagar-Baroda-Mumbai on Day2.. will let you know the experience
Old 28th October 2020, 07:41   #115
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB View Post
Ah perfect timing Thanks a bunch!

I will take the same route then.. Chandigarh-Ambala-Hisar-Jodhpur-Sirohi on Day1.. and then Sirohi-Himmatnagar-Baroda-Mumbai on Day2.. will let you know the experience
Best to stop at Jodhpur. I stayed at Welcome ITC. Excellent. If staying here, join the Pali highway through Jodhpur city, not by taking the left turn outside immediately after leaving the hotel shown by Maps- its broken road.

Baroda also at Welcomhotel ITC. Terrible! Reminds me of the hall at Bada Imambada Lucknow where even a snap at a paper or a matchstick lighting can be heard everywhere else.

Last edited by ais : 28th October 2020 at 07:46.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 08:38   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ambala Hisar Jodhpur route is excellent. Jodhpur to Sirohi is good.
Any specific reasons of going to Jodhpur? Is the road beyond Ladnun to Jodhpur, 4 lane? I will instead prefer to connect Kishangarh via Makrana from Hissar.

Quote:
Avoid the Palanpur Mehsana Kalol road as you will need to go through Ahmedabad to join NE1. Instead turn left from Abu road and come via Himmatnagar to avoid internal Ahmedabad.
No, I won't recommend this. Himmatnagar- Ahmadabad stretch is also a mess due to 6-Laning of Ahmadabad - Udaipur highway. Yes, Palanpur- Mehsana is bad but the key is the timing. Early mornings or late nights is fine.

If JSB wants to do in 3 days, first stop at Ajmer (Taj Property on Pushkar road- cheap, clean but little 10 Km or so off the route), Second day at Vadodara or Surat will be easily doable.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th October 2020 at 08:39.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 10:26   #117
JSB

Thanks ais and Turbanator!

I can make only 1 night halt, not 2.. need to reach Mumbai by end of Day2

Looks like i have to just wing it

Will decide the place of night halt depending on my progress on Day 1. Personally i think i can make it to Sirohi or even Abu road (RJ-GUJ border) by end of Day 1. Lets see!

Thanks a bunch for your inputs. Will share my final route and feedback after the trip.
Old 28th October 2020, 22:40   #118
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Any specific reasons of going to Jodhpur? Is the road beyond Ladnun to Jodhpur, 4 lane? I will instead prefer to connect Kishangarh via Makrana from Hissar.

No, I won't recommend this. Himmatnagar- Ahmadabad stretch is also a mess due to 6-Laning of Ahmadabad - Udaipur highway. Yes, Palanpur- Mehsana is bad but the key is the timing. Early mornings or late nights is fine.

If JSB wants to do in 3 days, first stop at Ajmer (Taj Property on Pushkar road- cheap, clean but little 10 Km or so off the route), Second day at Vadodara or Surat will be easily doable.
Jodhpur is a faster route. Roads are excellent. Hotel choice is great too. So I chose Jodhpur route and compared to my last 2 drives via Ajmer, I'm happy.

To do early morning on the Kalol area, one would have to halt at Mt. Abu and leave really early. Then how do we avoid the innards of Ahmedabad with it's traffic? This is a tricky one.

Today I did Vadodara to Mumbai. Traffic is high throughout Gujarat, but road is decent. I managed 26 km/lt average fuel economy till Surat in my petrol Baleno because the best sustainable speed was 80kmph! Once in Maharashtra, the road is superb and traffic thinner, so 3 digit speed was possible.

Vapi to Manor- the greenery is amazing. The road surface is fantastic. They've done something compared to my last trip the other way in March 2019. A BMW would have loved it.

Adding to my last post, in Haryana on the Ambala to Hissar stretch, be careful- every town you pass through has speed breakers. Roads in Rajasthan are good. When entering Gujarat be careful of border checking. I'm not sure where the border is, but you'll know, when you see a few bafoons holding traffic for checking at a series of blind turns, followed shortly by 2 humongous speedbreakers that rendered the ABS useless, barriers and 4 policemen. They waved me to stop, but I didn't because they looked fake to me and were not wearing masks! I was later stopped at the next toll plaza by a policeman who was obviously genuine and had my car number noted. On being questioned, I told him my point of view, which he accepted. Probably looking for booze in my dicky.

Mehsana to Kalol is ridiculous traffic. Road surface is good, but we have a full variety of vehicles moving at the same average speed of about 80kmph. Including 3 wheeler auto rickshaws that made me wonder if they got a Stage 3 remap, and why I ever bought a Baleno and BMW 330i. I hope the Udaipur 6 laning and all get done soon, so Ahmedabad region can be avoided altogether.

Total toll tax was about Rs.1700/- Panchkula to Mumbai. Refueling was at HP COCO pump in Vadodara, and BP pump near Park Plaza hotel, Jodhpur.

Last edited by ais : 28th October 2020 at 22:42.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 23:16   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_1732 View Post
Concerned about the bad patches between Indore and Gwalior.
Thanks
Shivpuri is the only bottleneck. Just beware of a shortcut that google maps will take you through just before Gwalior, its narrow and almost no road. There is a proper highway that takes you to Gwalior Bypass.

Quote:
Then how do we avoid the innards of Ahmedabad with it's traffic? This is a tricky one.
I did not share my update on the Sept Bom-Del trip. I ended up at Shamlaji only to realize that Shamlaji-Udaipur highway was closed due to protest. I had to divert to Abu road via Ambaji! Superb roads apart from a few bad patches once you join NH-76. It took me 2.5 hrs to reach Abu road. I will consider this for my future drives.

Route was Bom-Surat-Bharuch-Godhra Bypass-Shamlaji-Ambaji-Abu Road-Sirohi-Bar-Beawar-Jaipur Bypass-Delhi-G.Noida.
Old 28th October 2020, 23:47   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jodhpur is a faster route. Roads are excellent. Hotel choice is great too. So I chose Jodhpur route and compared to my last 2 drives via Ajmer, I'm happy.
So, local traffic at Jodhpur does not bother you?

Quote:
in Haryana on the Ambala to Hissar stretch, be careful- every town you pass through has speed breakers.
Are you talking about the new 4 lane Ambala- Hissar highway? The last time, I did in July there were no breakers. This is a new highway, why will they put breakers?

At the Gujrat border, they will almost always check. There is a big RTO / Truck parking. Always stop, they will look at you, ask few questions and if in doubt will open your trunk or luggage. If your final destination is outside Gujarat, they normally don’t look for anything and let you pass.

When you are coming from Mehsana, you will be at the ring road and connect direct to NE1, where do you get the interior traffic?

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th October 2020 at 23:50.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks