Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 20:48   #196
BHPian

Re: Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-RNS View Post
Based on the updates from this thread, and from what I hear from friends, there is no major change in road conditions, i.e., all good.

Thanks for the extensive notes buddy. I had done this route in '06 and '07. Once via NH8 and once via the Chittorgarh route. The roads were just fantabulous then in RJ and GJ. I really hope they are in similar condition.

I am quite accustomed to driving long stretches so that shouldnt be a problem. Latest being our Drive to Gangtok and the NE areas, exactly a year ago. While the outward leg will be me alone, the return will be with family, including a dog who's not very accustomed to long drives. I want to lessen the load on her on the first day. And I do want to visit Sharmaji's dhaba, been a while!

Thanks again!
thewhiteknight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 16:11   #197
BHPian

Last year, all thanks to the work from home and COVID situation, I travelled to Delhi from Pune to be with family and friends. Now with things coming back to normalcy, it is time to go back to workplace.

I am planning to take same route as Pun-Del journey as in September 2020 when I travelled, it was comfortable journey. Appreciate if I can get some suggestion on following route. Also, is there anything that I should be prepared about on this route (bad roads, construction, protests etc.)?

Last time around there wassome construction happening from Modassa till entry to RJ. Is it still the case? I travel with my 4year old so prefer to keep the journey as comfortable as it can be and one or two more stops won't hurt.

Planned Route:
Delhi -> Jaipur -> Kishangarh -> Ajmer -> Beawar -> Rajasmand -> Udaipur -> Samlaji -> Modassa -> Godhra Bypass -> Halol -> Vadodara -> Bharuch -> Vapi -> Mumbai -> Pune

Also, this time around I am planning to do a bit of sight seeing as I go. Wifey has not seen much of RJ-GJ so any suggestion of which place to keep in to-visit list is also welcome.

Last edited by HalfOctave : 8th November 2021 at 16:14. Reason: typo corrected
Old 8th November 2021, 17:36   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
Last time around there wassome construction happening from Modassa till entry to RJ. Is it still the case? I travel with my 4year old so prefer to keep the journey as comfortable as it can be and one or two more stops won't hurt.
You're in for a treat. The entire stretch is now 6-laned barring a one or max two flyover (this is from couple of months back). It takes me 30 to 45 mins less than what it used to take me a few months back.

Unfortunately, there is a small bad patch once you turn left from Shamlaji towards Modassa.
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 11:13   #199
BHPian

Travelled on Mumbai Ahmedabad section on route to Kutch and Return.

My observations -

To my surprise, roads in Maharashtra are in better condition than in DN and Gujrat till Vadodara. Particularly near Surat and also on the Ankaleshwar - Bharuch sections. You can move faster on NH than NE between Vadodara and Ahmedabad.

Petrol is now cheaper by Rs. 15 per litre in Gujrat (Rs. 95.19/Lit).

Fountain junction is still the worse to handle.

Happy journey.
CANPUSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 15:47   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Travelled on Mumbai Ahmedabad section on route to Kutch and Return.
Where in Kutch did you travel to?
I have a road trip planned in December from Mumbai to Mandvi, Kutch so it would be great if you could share the route you took and also how the road conditions are?
Thanks!
Old 10th November 2021, 20:57   #201
BHPian

I will be traveling from Faridabad to Navi Mumbai over next weekend with my wife. I am planning to cover the distance (1400 Kms) over 3 days (19, 20 & 21 November).

A rough plan is as follows:
1. First Day- Faridabad to Udaipur (650 kms)
2. Second Day- Udaipur to Vadodara/Surat (Vadodara seems too close and Surat seems too far though Surat saves a lot of time for next day)
3. Third Day-Vadodara/Surat to Navi Mumbai

I plan to start early (around 5:30 AM) and do not want to drive at night unless really necessary. I am the only driver.

I couldn't find any decent place to stay between Ajmer and Udaipur. Therefore, zeroed in on Udaipur for night halt on first day.

Same goes for Surat/Vadodara.

Any suggestions on night halts or route are welcome.
Old 10th November 2021, 22:28   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity View Post

A rough plan is as follows:
1. First Day- Faridabad to Udaipur (650 kms)
2. Second Day- Udaipur to Vadodara/Surat (Vadodara seems too close and Surat seems too far though Surat saves a lot of time for next day)
3. Third Day-Vadodara/Surat to Navi Mumbai

I couldn't find any decent place to stay between Ajmer and Udaipur. Therefore, zeroed in on Udaipur for night halt on first day.

Same goes for Surat/Vadodara.
Hi Amity,

1) Instead of reaching Udaipur, you could halt 40 kms earlier at Nathdwara. BHPian SinhaRishi recommends Hotel Marutinandan in a previous post (Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries). Alternatively, Udaipur has a plethora of hotels. I stayed at Paras Mahal and it was good and just off highway.

2) Udaipur <--> Mumbai is easily doable in one day, but I understand if you want to take it easy as it definitely reduces stress. Specifically to your query, you can easily reach Surat, esp if you take the Modassa-Godhra-Halol route. In terms of hotel, there are many to choose from, across budget range. I don't have any specific one as I haven't stayed in Surat near to highway.

My alternative suggestion (only because you are planning a stop between Udaipur & Mumbai): Why not visit Statue of Unity. its 420 kms from Udaipur, 8 hours driving distance (about the same from SoU to Navi Mumbai). This way, you can make use of the evening and hopefully entertaining for the kids too. Just an idea, because I plan to do the same during my next drive in Jan/Feb.

Cheers!
VT-RNS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 09:43   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Where in Kutch did you travel to?
I have a road trip planned in December from Mumbai to Mandvi, Kutch so it would be great if you could share the route you took and also how the road conditions are?
Thanks!
I have posted on Mega "road updates" thread in this section only. I am not sure how to provided link in this post. But you can please check that thread.

Please check.
Old 11th November 2021, 22:31   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Amity,

1) Instead of reaching Udaipur, you could halt 40 kms earlier at Nathdwara. BHPian SinhaRishi recommends Hotel Marutinandan in a previous post (Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries). Alternatively, Udaipur has a plethora of hotels. I stayed at Paras Mahal and it was good and just off highway.

My alternative suggestion (only because you are planning a stop between Udaipur & Mumbai): Why not visit Statue of Unity. its 420 kms from Udaipur, 8 hours driving distance (about the same from SoU to Navi Mumbai). This way, you can make use of the evening and hopefully entertaining for the kids too. Just an idea, because I plan to do the same during my next drive in Jan/Feb.

Cheers!
Thanks for the suggestions.

Actually, I did check TMG but it is not available on our dates. Therefore, zeroed in on Udaipur. I will check out Paras Mahal.

SoU seems doable. It didn't even strike me that it'll be on our way. Thanks, once again.
From what I've seen Google maps, we can cover SoU and then stay at Ankleshwar/Bharuch for the night.
Amity is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 22:46   #205
BHPian

HI All

First of all, a big thank you to all fellow bhpians for writing such detailed notes. I am planning my first multi-day road trip from Mumbai to Delhi Via Rajasthan. On my return I wanted to explore Satpura National park and hence would be coming via Bhopal. Now, I have couple of questions that I need your help with -
(Few things to help answer better - I drive a XUV 500. I am travelling with my 5 year old daughter and wife. I am the only driver. My wife can drive in emergencies)
1. Is Mumbai to Udaipur possible in one day? I plan to head out at 5 am and would like to reach before Sundown.
2. Is the farmers protest hindering getting into Delhi from Jaipur? Do i plan for a alternate route like coming from Agra? I would starting my journey from Jaipur.
3. I plan to head to Jawai from Udaipur, is it possible to reach Delhi from Jawai in one day? If any one has done this then please suggest route
4. For my return is it possible to reach Bhopal from Delhi in one day? 5 am - 5 pm drive. If not then where should I break the journey?
5. From Bhopal I plan to drive to Nashik, stay one night and then head to Mumbai. Let me know if that is too adventures. (Note - I will be 140 km ahead of Bhopal)

regards
Old 16th November 2021, 14:45   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarjeetphukan View Post
1. Is Mumbai to Udaipur possible in one day? I plan to head out at 5 am and would like to reach before Sundown.
2. Is the farmers protest hindering getting into Delhi from Jaipur? Do i plan for a alternate route like coming from Agra? I would starting my journey from Jaipur.
3. I plan to head to Jawai from Udaipur, is it possible to reach Delhi from Jawai in one day? If any one has done this then please suggest route
4. For my return is it possible to reach Bhopal from Delhi in one day? 5 am - 5 pm drive. If not then where should I break the journey?
5. From Bhopal I plan to drive to Nashik, stay one night and then head to Mumbai. Let me know if that is too adventures. (Note - I will be 140 km ahead of Bhopal)
Hello Amarjeet,

Thanks for the background, it helps but I found the Qs a bit open-ended even then; so my response to your Qs might need to be taken with some context (esp if your daughter will be comfortable with 12 Hour drives).
Here it goes:

1) Mumbai to Udaipur is easily doable in 1 day. Start at 5 am, and you can reach by sundown. On my last trip, we took 2 small breaks & 1 lunch break and reached Udaipur in 12 hours. Cruising speed was never more than 80/90 kmph. My experience is reflective of what I have read previously on this forum as well. The route is Mumbai - Baroda - Halol - Godhra Bypass - Modasa - Udaipur.
Keep in mind that I got literally no traffic anywhere, including on Surat bypass or Narmada bridge. But if you read some earlier posts reflective of very recent trips, some folks have mentioned getting traffic. But in such long drives, you always have to keep room for unexpected events.
A good place for pit-stops is the Honest chain of restaurants in Gujarat. Also, once you leave Baroda on the state highway till you join after Modasa, the pit stops are not always great quality and good ones are far & few

2) Situation is always a bit unpredictable. However, recent discussions on another group indicate that for cars, usually the police directs you on the opposite side or creates a small lane for a fairly quick drive-through. You can read about the alternative (I shared as my parents drove through it recently) as well as latest update from BHPian SinhaRishi on this link (Delhi - Jaipur - Udaipur : Route Queries)

3) I am not sure where Jawai is, but as per Google maps, it shows up between Sirohi & Pali in RJ. If that is correct, I definitely think its possible to drive to Delhi straight, depending a little bit on where in Delhi are you going. For context, 2 months back, my father could comfortably drive from Jodhpur to Gurgaon in day light, and the distance is near-similar and the same road is shared from Beawar.

4) Again, depends a bit on where you are in Delhi when departing for Bhopal. I have never done this stretch in one day, always with a stop in Gwalior since we have relatives to visit. Technically, it can be done, but probably take you around 15-16 hours unless your cruise speeds are three digits at the least.
I found a post from earlier this year, and my thoughts echo of BHPian c_trivedi who has penned it. You can find it here (Bhopal to Delhi : Route Queries)
That said, if you haven't visited Gwalior before, I would recommend it as a halt for the night as it should give you time in late afternoon to visit the majestic fort, and the Light & Sound show was quite enjoyable.

5) Bhopal to Mumbai in one-day is doable, though it can take around 14 hours of driving. BHPian Crow & I have discussed it at length in this post (Mumbai to Bhopal : Route Queries) with others sharing their opinions as well. Feel free to read through.

That said, since you will be in Satpura National Park, and it looks like you are fine to have a night halt, in which case, I would say you could also consider Dhule for a night halt and not necessary to stretch till Nasik (Esp because the long flyover is not fully complete on Ojhar side & its better to avoid traffic when you are tired from all day drive). Dhule won't have Star rated hotels, but I had found two as a back-up for my drives, so sharing for reference: Hotel JP Kyriad by OTHPL (Hotel Jhankar Palace) & Hotel Residency Park. For restaurant, I had lunch at The Orchid on my last drive, which is opposite to Hotel Residency Park and walking distance to Hotel Jhankar Palace.
This will make your next day's drive to Mumbai fairly easy.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
VT-RNS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 21:21   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Amarjeet,

Thanks for the background, it helps but I found the Qs a bit open-ended even then; so my response to your Qs might need to be taken with some context (esp if your daughter will be comfortable with 12 Hour drives).
Here it goes:

1) Mumbai to Udaipur is easily doable in 1 day. Start at 5 am, and you can reach by sundown. On my last trip, we took 2 small breaks & 1 lunch break and reached Udaipur in 12 hours. Cruising speed was never more than 80/90 kmph. My experience is reflective of what I have read previously on this forum as well. The route is Mumbai - Baroda - Halol - Godhra Bypass - Modasa - Udaipur.
Keep in mind that I got literally no traffic anywhere, including on Surat bypass or Narmada bridge. But if you read some earlier posts reflective of very recent trips, some folks have mentioned getting traffic. But in such long drives, you always have to keep room for unexpected events.
A good place for pit-stops is the Honest chain of restaurants in Gujarat. Also, once you leave Baroda on the state highway till you join after Modasa, the pit stops are not always great quality and good ones are far & few

2) Situation is always a bit unpredictable. However, recent discussions on another group indicate that for cars, usually the police directs you on the opposite side or creates a small lane for a fairly quick drive-through. You can read about the alternative (I shared as my parents drove through it recently) as well as latest update from BHPian SinhaRishi on this link (Delhi - Jaipur - Udaipur : Route Queries)

3) I am not sure where Jawai is, but as per Google maps, it shows up between Sirohi & Pali in RJ. If that is correct, I definitely think its possible to drive to Delhi straight, depending a little bit on where in Delhi are you going. For context, 2 months back, my father could comfortably drive from Jodhpur to Gurgaon in day light, and the distance is near-similar and the same road is shared from Beawar.

4) Again, depends a bit on where you are in Delhi when departing for Bhopal. I have never done this stretch in one day, always with a stop in Gwalior since we have relatives to visit. Technically, it can be done, but probably take you around 15-16 hours unless your cruise speeds are three digits at the least.
I found a post from earlier this year, and my thoughts echo of BHPian c_trivedi who has penned it. You can find it here (Bhopal to Delhi : Route Queries)
That said, if you haven't visited Gwalior before, I would recommend it as a halt for the night as it should give you time in late afternoon to visit the majestic fort, and the Light & Sound show was quite enjoyable.

5) Bhopal to Mumbai in one-day is doable, though it can take around 14 hours of driving. BHPian Crow & I have discussed it at length in this post (Mumbai to Bhopal : Route Queries) with others sharing their opinions as well. Feel free to read through.

That said, since you will be in Satpura National Park, and it looks like you are fine to have a night halt, in which case, I would say you could also consider Dhule for a night halt and not necessary to stretch till Nasik (Esp because the long flyover is not fully complete on Ojhar side & its better to avoid traffic when you are tired from all day drive). Dhule won't have Star rated hotels, but I had found two as a back-up for my drives, so sharing for reference: Hotel JP Kyriad by OTHPL (Hotel Jhankar Palace) & Hotel Residency Park. For restaurant, I had lunch at The Orchid on my last drive, which is opposite to Hotel Residency Park and walking distance to Hotel Jhankar Palace.
This will make your next day's drive to Mumbai fairly easy.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
This helps a lot. You have answered everything that I wanted to ask but maybe could not articulate.
As a family we have never driven more than 12 - 14 hrs, the longest being Mumbai - Goa with breaks. So my aim is to try and keep the long drives to a minimum. Also I have never driven two days in a row, so I am not sure how my body will react.
Jawai to Delhi - we might break this journey by stopping at Jaipur. Could you suggest some places to stay at Jaipur?
Delhi - Bhopal - via Gwalior is perfect. It gives us ample time to explore Gwalior and avoid another long drive. Any suggestions of places to stay?
Bhopal - Mumbai - I will go through the thread you have mentioned to decide on the final leg of the Journey. You are right about breaking the journey as I am the most annoyed and irritated when I have to drive back to Mumbai. The great roads in Maharastra and the welcoming traffic does not help the cause . I might try and stretch it to Nashik as then I could stay two nights at some nice place.
Thank you
Amarjeetphukan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 21:34   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Jawai to Delhi - we might break this journey by stopping at Jaipur. Could you suggest some places to stay at Jaipur?

Delhi - Bhopal - via Gwalior is perfect. It gives us ample time to explore Gwalior and avoid another long drive. Any suggestions of places to stay?
Hello Amarjeet,

I am glad you found it helpful

For both Jaipur & Gwalior, my stays are typically with relatives or friends so haven't stayed in a hotel. But both cities have good options; Jaipur more than Gwalior.
There is a Taj property in Gwalior that I distinctly remember. Jaipur has plethora of options.

Sorry, can't help much here. Hopefully others can share specific response.

Your reply around Nasik got me thinking a bit more on some creative routes
Let me send you a DM directly for discussion (if you would like to indulge!)

Cheers!
VT-RNS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 21:42   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Could you suggest some places to stay at Jaipur?
Plenty of options to choose from - low/mid/high budget. Try Golden Tulip on MI road (on the right), you keep driving straight from Ajmer highway and get on the elevated road. You can enjoy a delicious meal at Handi, walking distance from Golden Tulip.
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 22:41   #210
BHPian

Guys, I’m doing a solo drive to Varodara from Mumbai later this month. Is there anything I should know about the route, choke points, and best time to leave? I am thinking of starting between 4 and 6am. Leaning towards 4am to avoid truck traffic that I’d encountered two years ago.

I did this route in 2019 when I went to Rajasthan but since then I’ve only been to Talasari once in 2020 for a breakfast drive.

PS: My breakfast point is set—Hotel Ahura at Talasari—but please suggest other good eating joints on the way. If I feel hungry or need to use washrooms, known/trusted places are much better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks