Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2023, 14:51   #316
BHPian

Re: Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries

I tavelled through the two operational stretches of the Delhi-Mumbai Expressway (NE4) in October 2023 as part of a longer solo drive (Grand I10 Nios) to Kerala via the Mumbai-Goa coastal road. On the DME, I travelled till the Lalsot interchange.

I noticed (I may be wrong) that all the rest and service complexes in Haryana are under construction and non-operational. There are four complexes operational on either side in Rajsthan till Dausa. The two complexes between Dausa and Lalsot interchanges are also under construction and non-operational. I took the Lalsot interchange exit, and took a left at the roundabout to join NH 23 (a two lane road) and drive till Kothun. Then the four lane NH 52 to Udpura (via the bypasses for Bundi and Kota). Google maps then routed me through RJ State Highway 9A (via Modak bypass and Goondi) to Undwa on the Rajasthan-MP border. Then a local road to Ledi and onto the Bhanpura interchange where I got back on the NE4 and drove until the Thandla interchange (the second operational section of NE4, however all four Rest and Service complexes are under construction and non-operatonal, no food, drinking water or toilets on this entire section).

I stayed overnight at Thandla. Next day, I took a combination of state highways and local roads to Kevadia (route suggested by Google Maps, some smooth and some potholed sections, mostly 2 lane) and spent sometime at the Statue of Unity. Then it was NH 56 and NH 53 to join NH48 at Palsana (via Netrang, Mandvi and Manekpor). Roads were a combination of 4 and 2 lane, both had some smooth and some potholed stretches. There was also a short potholed ghat section. Then it was on NH48 to Mumbai, eventually reached South Mumbai through the Eastern Freeway.

I spread this Delhi-Mumbai journey over three days since I took an overnight halt at Valsad and got the first service of my car done.

Last edited by graaja : 17th November 2023 at 14:58. Reason: Splitting paragraphs for better readability
Roan J is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 19:44   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roan J View Post
I noticed (I may be wrong) that all the rest and service complexes in Haryana are under construction and non-operational. There are four complexes operational on either side in Rajsthan till Dausa. The two complexes between Dausa and Lalsot interchanges are also under construction and non-operational. I took the Lalsot interchange exit, and took a left at the roundabout to join NH 23 (a two lane road) and drive till Kothun. Then the four lane NH 52 to Udpura (via the bypasses for Bundi and Kota). Google maps then routed me through RJ State Highway 9A (via Modak bypass and Goondi) to Undwa on the Rajasthan-MP border. Then a local road to Ledi and onto the Bhanpura interchange where I got back on the NE4 and drove until the Thandla interchange (the second operational section of NE4, however all four Rest and Service complexes are under construction and non-operatonal, no food, drinking water or toilets on this entire section).
Thanks a ton for this update. I am doing a one way Del-Bom drive next week and was considering the NE4's new stretch. Going to stick to the traditional route.
Old 23rd November 2023, 08:38   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roan J View Post
Google maps then routed me through RJ State Highway 9A (via Modak bypass and Goondi) to Undwa on the Rajasthan-MP border.
I think you took this route via Modak-Udpura

Name:  viUdpura.png
Views: 336
Size:  133.3 KB

Have heard its quite a mess to make the turn at Udpura. So I was thinking of going via Jhalawar bypass. Will need to check in a months' time how it is

Name:  viaJhalawar.png
Views: 331
Size:  141.5 KB

Quote:
I got back on the NE4 and drove until the Thandla interchange (the second operational section of NE4
So the western end of NE4 terminates well off the Indore-Godhra NH? I do remember seeing NE4 interchanges at Godhra-Dahod section.

In that case, getting off Ratlam seems the better option. It gives 2 options to get to Bombay:

1. via Dhamnod-Dhule-Nasik
2. via Lebad-Godhra-Baroda-Surat
Old 24th November 2023, 19:02   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I think you took this route via Modak-Udpura

That's correct. It had some really bad stretches. There's a cement factory on this road and consequently lots of large trucks. In some sections, concrete was being laid. The Jhalawar bypass may be a better option.

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th November 2023 at 19:11. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 4th December 2023, 20:45   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
I am doing a one way Del-Bom drive next week
Update from my Drive:

Day-1: G.Noida to Udaipur.
  • 3 of us - my father, my less than 2 yr old son and me started from home at 6:45am. Took EPE then DME till Jaipur exit.
  • Crossed Dausa and took Jaipur ring road to join NH48.
  • Stopped for breakfast @Cafe Maestro after joining NH48. We almost spent 1.5 hrs here.
  • Continued to Kishangarh-Bhilwara then towarda Rajasmand.
  • Reached Udaipur by 4:30pm. Checked into The Cavalry Abhay Niwas.
  • Roads were good throughout, nothing to complain.
Day-2: Udaipur to Mumbai.
  • Started from Udaipur at 6am. First stop at Shamlaji @ Honest. Stopped here for 30mins.
  • Next stop was Jagdish Snacks @ Vadodra. We drove via Ahmedabad as google showed this route faster.
  • Late lunch at Sugar n Spice @ Valsad. Spent an hour here.
  • Reached home by 7pm.
  • Nothing to complain, again.

This was the smoothest drive we had so far. The car was Polo 1.0 HL AT TSI.

Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-img_8775.jpeg

Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-img_8778.jpeg

Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-img_8780.jpeg

Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-img_8809.jpeg

Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-img_8837.jpeg

Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-img_8842.jpeg

Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-img_8845.jpeg

Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-img_8865.jpeg

Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-img_8868.jpeg
sinharishi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 11:33   #321

Planning to drive down with my family from Delhi to Mumbai for a wedding towards the very end of the year. Since there's going to be 6 of us in the car, we're looking to do the journey over three days and two nights, with stops planned at Udaipur and Surat.

Leaving Delhi early on 31st December morning, with the stop planned at Udaipur for the night. 1st Jan morning, we leave for Surat, and stay there for the night. 2nd Jan we have to reach Panvel by 2PM.

Is this doable? Any route recommendations or highway rest-stop recommendations?

This is my first proper long road trip, so all suggestions welcome. Thank you!
Old 8th December 2023, 16:51   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arreyosambha View Post
Leaving Delhi early on 31st December morning, with the stop planned at Udaipur for the night. 1st Jan morning, we leave for Surat, and stay there for the night. 2nd Jan we have to reach Panvel by 2PM.

Is this doable?....
I think Udaipur to Panvel is doable on the same day. If you leave by 5:30, you should reach Panvel by 8pm easily. Udaipur to Surat is just too short.

Route you should follow:
DAY 1:
Delhi-Dausa (Delhi Mumbai Eway) : Kishangarh : Bilwara : Rajasmand : Udaipur

DAY 2:
Udaipur : Samjali : Godhra : Baroda : Vapi : Virar : Panvel

No matter how much google maps may temp you, do not take Delhi Mum Eway beyond Dausa.

I am doing the same stretch on 29/30 Dec with our family of 5.

Unless you have other commitments at Surat you should consider my suggestion.
benzinblut is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 15:09   #323
BHPian

Hi Friends ,

I am planning a Delhi-Mumbai Trip in end of December. Understood from all the online feedback and TBHP that it is not advisable to take DME beyond the first phase. So I plan to take traditional route post that. Basis my earlier Drives to Udaipur I can do it in 10 hours and I plan to drive or 12 hours on first day. Never went beyond Udaipur on that road. Can you please suggest the best point for Night stay about 2 - 2.5 hrs drive / 150 KMs from Udaipur. I am travelling with family including a 1.5 years kid.
Old 10th December 2023, 09:29   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghBHP View Post
I am travelling with family including a 1.5 years kid.
Ahmedabad if you can push it or Himmatnagar. Please also keep in mind you might encounter thick fog in the first few hundred kms, which can delay the progress. Roads are in top shape. Safe travels!
Old 10th December 2023, 09:58   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Ahmedabad if you can push it or Himmatnagar. Please also keep in mind you might encounter thick fog in the first few hundred kms, which can delay the progress. Roads are in top shape. Safe travels!

Thanks mate - how about Shamlaji - it is approx 120 KMs from Udaipur.
Old 10th December 2023, 10:10   #326

Udaipur to Shamlaji is a breeze and one of the best stretches of the route for years. There arent that many options to stay in Shamlaji and one has few options in Modasa. Although there are only decent budget hotels there including Grand Sarvottam which is on the highway. I have stayed there, it is a famous place for highway stops and provide accomodation too.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghBHP View Post
Hi Friends ,

I am planning a Delhi-Mumbai Trip in end of December. Understood from all the online feedback and TBHP that it is not advisable to take DME beyond the first phase. So I plan to take traditional route post that. Basis my earlier Drives to Udaipur I can do it in 10 hours and I plan to drive or 12 hours on first day. Never went beyond Udaipur on that road. Can you please suggest the best point for Night stay about 2 - 2.5 hrs drive / 150 KMs from Udaipur. I am travelling with family including a 1.5 years kid.
Old 14th December 2023, 13:15   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
---------

No matter how much google maps may temp you, do not take Delhi Mum Eway beyond Dausa.
--------
Can you please explain why Lalsot Exit --> Tonk ---> Deoli ---> Jahazpur ---> Shahpura---> NH-48 till Udaipur, can't be taken?

This Road is good throughout even though few sections are SH but those are mostly empty and good.
Old 16th December 2023, 13:09   #328
BHPian

You won't miss the chaos of the Delhi Jaipur NH 48 on this Expressway now!

I drove on this Expressway from Lalsot to Sohna last night. I had driven 4-5 times previously and it was a good experience. But last night was a shocker. Plenty of trucks and using whichever lane they please. Just like on the Delhi-Jaipur highway. Would NHAI ever be able to impose lane discipline on this Expressway.Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries-dme-scene-1.png
Roan J is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 16:10   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahkehs View Post
Can you please explain why Lalsot Exit --> Tonk ---> Deoli ---> Jahazpur ---> Shahpura---> NH-48 till Udaipur, can't be taken?
Shahpura-Tonk road is good? No way. I took this earlier this year to join NE4 from NH23. Till you enter NH52 it was a royal pain, single laned mostly. Never again. We turned towards shahpura from NH48 after Bhilwara.
Old 17th December 2023, 11:30   #330
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I am planning to take the Gurgaon-Mumbai trip next weekend using the new DME on 23-Dec with a night halt planned for somewhere near Vadodara. For the next day, we were thinking of making a quick visit to the Statue of Unity and then resuming our journey to our destination.

We wish to leave from Gurgaon by 6 AM and reach Vadodara by midnight at max. The occupants comprise a husband-wife duo accompanied by a 1.5-year-old kid. The kids' meals usually take from 30-45mins and we foresee a couple of extra breaks in between spanning out an approximately 18-hour journey for the first day.

Can someone please guide me on a good route they have taken recently and guide me on the route that I should be taking? I intend to travel using MK4 Octavia.

Apologies if this still feels redundant given recent recommendations from folks but I still don't want to take any chances.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks