Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2015, 12:13   #31
ais
BHPian

re: Delhi/Chandigarh to Dehradun : Route Queries

Has anyone tried route 73A from Paonta Sahib to Naraingarh via Kalesar and Bilaspur? If yes, what is the road condition?

The usual route I take via Nahan is in terrible condition now, especially the stretch at Kala Amb. So I am looking for alternative route.
Old 10th September 2015, 12:13   #32
ais
BHPian

Well, I took a chance and used this route today. Its very good. Takes 4 hours from Dehradun to Panchkula, which is the same as the Nahan Kala Amb route with pathetic roads on the latter route.
Old 21st November 2015, 10:13   #33
ais
BHPian

I tried the usual route NH72 via Nahan and Kala Amb to check out feedback on it's repair and better state. From Paonta Sahib to Nahan patchwork has been done. Kala Amb section that is eternally is bad shape HAS BEEN TOTALLY RE LAID! However the construction quality is nothing like the new highways nowaday liky the Sarahan route. So it will last till the monsoons strike again. Also there is anotherbroute to bypass Kala Amb from River View restraurant via Saketi Fossil Park. I started on this route but within a KM met with potholed surface. I asked an oncoming driver how the road ahead was and he immediately asked me to turn back!
Old 22nd November 2015, 10:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
Has anyone tried route 73A from Paonta Sahib to Naraingarh via Kalesar and Bilaspur? If yes, what is the road condition?

The usual route I take via Nahan is in terrible condition now, especially the stretch at Kala Amb. So I am looking for alternative route.
I travelled Paonta Sahib to Naraingarh via Nahan in the month of March. The road was busy and quite OK.

From Naraingarh I took State Highway - 1 towards Chandigarh, which was a new, very good, 2-lane road with less traffic (travelled during 12 noon)
Old 22nd November 2015, 11:39   #35
ais
BHPian

The stretch from Kala Amb HP barrier towards Nahan for about 5 km was patched up around March but went bad again in the monsoons. Now it is fine.

From Naraingarh there are two routes towards Barwala. The one mentioned above SH1 is excellent. For the other one if you turn right towards Raipur Rani, road is good but less berm width so less safe, and it has many rural roads joining in. After Raipur Rani, turn right to bypass Barwala for Panchkula, but road is not as good as SH1 to Barwala. Presently Im using SH1. Also given that the Nahan to Paonta Sahib road is patchy, I'll still take the longer but smoother route via Bilaspur and Kalesar Sanctuary.
Old 19th January 2016, 09:34   #36
ais
BHPian

Re: Delhi/Chandigarh to Dehradun : Route Queries

Update- the wavy stretch from Naraingarh to Kala Amb has been resurfaced. One can maintain a decent speed (80 kmph, which earlier was not possible due to potholes and wavy surface). It's not a good job though and this national highway still awaits the distant dream of 'achche din'. The stretch from Nahan to Paonta Sahib also is a long way away from being the drivers' delight it was 3-4 years back and before. I'll stick to the Paonta Sahib to Nairaingarh via Chachchrauli, Bilaspur route until I hear of NH72 being resurfaced.
Old 21st January 2016, 14:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys. I need to travel to Dehradun this coming weekend from Delhi so wanted to know hows the road condition as of now if i take meerut route?
Anyone who did this route recently please advise. Also if there is any other route which is better than this.
Old 21st January 2016, 15:02   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Hi guys. I need to travel to Dehradun this coming weekend from Delhi so wanted to know hows the road condition as of now if i take meerut route?
Anyone who did this route recently please advise. Also if there is any other route which is better than this.
I went from Dehradun to Delhi two weeks back and SS-Traveler had given the directions. You can take the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut(bypass)-Muzaffarnagar-Saharanpur-Dehradun. It will be around 6 hours of driving time.
Old 21st January 2016, 15:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I went from Dehradun to Delhi two weeks back and SS-Traveler had given the directions. You can take the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut(bypass)-Muzaffarnagar-Saharanpur-Dehradun. It will be around 6 hours of driving time.
How was the road condition?
Old 21st January 2016, 15:29   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
How was the road condition?
Road condition was good except for around 2 kms at a place where a bridge is being constructed. Don't remember the exact place.
Old 5th December 2016, 22:04   #41
BHPian

Guys
I have to travel from Panipat to Dehradun in the next couple of days. These are three possible routes suggested by google maps.
1) panipat- karnal- ladwa- ponta sahib-dehradun
2) panipat-karnal- ladwa - saharanpur- dehradun
3) Panipat- shamli- saharanpur- dehradun

Route no 3 is shortest by about 30kms (200 vs 170kms), but I am not sure it's the best. Which one should I choose?
Old 5th December 2016, 22:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
Which one should I choose?

I'd say go with 1st. It's a clean route and roads are good, if you take the other two routes you'll have to deal with the terrible route of Mohand. I went there recently and the roads were totally broken and there were huge potholes at almost every 400 meters of distance. If this is not a major problem to you, you can go ahead with 3rd option, roads are decent and 30km saves you the fuel and time. Just make sure to be careful and don't go too fast, an innova guy tailing me screwed his front shocker while trying to overtake and couldn't notice a huge pothole.
Ruchir031 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 19:25   #43

Hey Guys!

I'm doing Chandigarh-Dhanolti on the 26th of January and plan to take the Paonta Sahib - Dehradun route. I'm just a little concerned about traffic between Dehradun and Dhanolti. Can someone guide me on some alternate routes that I could try?
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
I'd say go with 1st. It's a clean route and roads are good, if you take the other two routes you'll have to deal with the terrible route of Mohand. I went there recently and the roads were totally broken and there were huge potholes at almost every 400 meters of distance. If this is not a major problem to you, you can go ahead with 3rd option, roads are decent and 30km saves you the fuel and time. Just make sure to be careful and don't go too fast, an innova guy tailing me screwed his front shocker while trying to overtake and couldn't notice a huge pothole.
Hello there!

I am planning to drive to Dehradun from Delhi in the next month and was wondering if anyone has done this route (Delhi - Panipat - Karnal - Ladwa - Paonta Sahib - Dehradun) recently. There will be a baby in the car and although we've got a pretty solid car seat for him, I don't want to take any chances regarding the road conditions. The above message was posted more than two years ago (thanks Ruchir031, by the way ), so any latest update would be very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th January 2019, 10:39   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_trivedi View Post
Hello there!

I am planning to drive to Dehradun from Delhi in the next month and was wondering if anyone has done this route (Delhi - Panipat - Karnal - Ladwa - Paonta Sahib - Dehradun) recently. There will be a baby in the car and although we've got a pretty solid car seat for him, I don't want to take any chances regarding the road conditions. The above message was posted more than two years ago (thanks Ruchir031, by the way ), so any latest update would be very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I had done this route around 9 months ago and the road conditions were pretty good, throughout the journey, only near paonta sahib there was only a small patch of the rough road but nothing too bad.
Not sure how the roads are now but I'd assume same as before if not better.

I am visiting Dehradun myself next month and will take this route only.
Ruchir031 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks