Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 11:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi/Chandigarh to Dehradun : Route Queries

Anybody have taken the following from Chandigarh to Deharadun:

Panchkula->Batawar->Narayangarh->Nahan->Majra->Herbetpur->Dehradun

Basically NH72 all the way, as per google map.

Please tell me the condition of this route, or any better route?
Old 4th March 2009, 15:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

The route shown above is good and scenic in parts. The correct route is:-
Panchkula- Barwala-Narayangarh-KalaAmb-Paonta Sahib-Herbertpur-Dehradun. The approx distance from Panchkula to dehradun is 200 Kms. Travelling time- 2.30 hrs. KalaAmb is the entry point into Himachal and paonta Sahib is the exit. Travelling time is about 1.5 Hr from Panchkula to Paonta Sahib and another 1.15 Hrs till Dehradun from there.
Places to see are Suketi Fossil park near to kalaamb and Gurudwara at Paonta Sahib. You can take a detour to Dakpathar from herbertpur and see the barrage on yamuna. Need any more info let me know I have driven that route continously for 5 years, lol.

PS> You neednot go to Nahan but turn right from Dosarka towards Paonta about 10 Kms before Nahan. The place is prominent and not easily missed.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 4th March 2009 at 15:50.
Old 4th March 2009, 17:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks wanderernomad, actually I have to go there for some work, so it will be non stop drive from CHD to Dehradun and then Delhi. Good to know that roads are good.

Hope my M800 will manage this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
The route shown above is good and scenic in parts. The correct route is:-
Panchkula- Barwala-Narayangarh-KalaAmb-Paonta Sahib-Herbertpur-Dehradun. The approx distance from Panchkula to dehradun is 200 Kms. Travelling time- 2.30 hrs. KalaAmb is the entry point into Himachal and paonta Sahib is the exit. Travelling time is about 1.5 Hr from Panchkula to Paonta Sahib and another 1.15 Hrs till Dehradun from there.
Places to see are Suketi Fossil park near to kalaamb and Gurudwara at Paonta Sahib. You can take a detour to Dakpathar from herbertpur and see the barrage on yamuna. Need any more info let me know I have driven that route continously for 5 years, lol.

PS> You neednot go to Nahan but turn right from Dosarka towards Paonta about 10 Kms before Nahan. The place is prominent and not easily missed.
Old 4th March 2009, 17:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Thanks wanderernomad, actually I have to go there for some work, so it will be non stop drive from CHD to Dehradun and then Delhi. Good to know that roads are good.

Hope my M800 will manage this route.
wanderernomad has said it all Roads used to be good, and this is easily a non stop drive. You might want to stop over at Nahan for stretching yourself and enjoy the greenry and fresh air though . M800 will do it without any issues, dont worry about it.
Actually keep travel time more towards 3.5 hours for a relaxed journey. For regular travellers it would be lesser as they have seen it all (like wanderer said 2.5 hrs)

Last edited by sammyboy : 4th March 2009 at 17:56.
Old 4th March 2009, 20:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Rk why you skeptical about M800
you should see the way it performs in himalayas it can put many bigger cars to shame
Old 4th March 2009, 20:18   #6
BHPian

What is the shortest route to Kala amb from Delhi? I have some work there on Sunday.

I was thinking to follow this route:
Delhi - Karnal - Shahbad Markanda (turn Right) - Barara - NH-2 - Kala Amb
Old 4th March 2009, 20:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks sammyboy, I have been to all these places, just that this route is new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
wanderernomad has said it all Roads used to be good, and this is easily a non stop drive. You might want to stop over at Nahan for stretching yourself and enjoy the greenry and fresh air though . M800 will do it without any issues, dont worry about it.
Actually keep travel time more towards 3.5 hours for a relaxed journey. For regular travellers it would be lesser as they have seen it all (like wanderer said 2.5 hrs)
arey nahi yaar, it just that its not driven much in its 10 yrs of ownership. so was not sure about it. Otherwise I can bid my money anyday for M800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
@Rk why you skeptical about M800
you should see the way it performs in himalayas it can put many bigger cars to shame
Old 4th March 2009, 23:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
What is the shortest route to Kala amb from Delhi? I have some work there on Sunday.

I was thinking to follow this route:
Delhi - Karnal - Shahbad Markanda (turn Right) - Barara - NH-72 - Kala Amb
Correction for the wrong national highway!
Old 4th March 2009, 23:55   #9
BHPian

Hi,

I would say that the roads on the Barwala-Kala Amb-Paonta Sahib-Dehradun route are not that good, you can hardly maintain momentum in the higher gears, have to keep on shifting. The roads used to be very good few years back but are now deteriorating badly.

I have just been to Dehradun and back last week.

We went via the above mentioned route but came back via
Dehradun-Saharanpur-YamunaNagar-Barwala-Panchkula route.

This route is 50km longer but the roads are way good than the other route.

I've been to Dehradun twice in the last two months and followed the same route both times - going via Paonta Sahib and coming back via Saharanpur and will anyday vouch for the one via Saharanpur.

But, a word of caution, we came back via Saharanpur in the mid of night so obviously, traffic was very light and it would be much more in the daytime.

So, if you are willing to cover 50 kms extra and tolerate more traffic, i would suggest you go via Saharanpur. Otherwise, if you want to go via a scenic route, then via Paonta Sahib it is.

Hope i've not confused you.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 5th March 2009, 10:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Jasi Bro, are you sure its 50Km extra, in map it looks more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
Hi,

I would say that the roads on the Barwala-Kala Amb-Paonta Sahib-Dehradun route are not that good, you can hardly maintain momentum in the higher gears, have to keep on shifting. The roads used to be very good few years back but are now deteriorating badly.

I have just been to Dehradun and back last week.

We went via the above mentioned route but came back via
Dehradun-Saharanpur-YamunaNagar-Barwala-Panchkula route.

This route is 50km longer but the roads are way good than the other route.

I've been to Dehradun twice in the last two months and followed the same route both times - going via Paonta Sahib and coming back via Saharanpur and will anyday vouch for the one via Saharanpur.

But, a word of caution, we came back via Saharanpur in the mid of night so obviously, traffic was very light and it would be much more in the daytime.

So, if you are willing to cover 50 kms extra and tolerate more traffic, i would suggest you go via Saharanpur. Otherwise, if you want to go via a scenic route, then via Paonta Sahib it is.

Hope i've not confused you.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 5th March 2009, 10:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

rk - after this trip, you need to update that signature
Old 5th March 2009, 15:15   #12
BHPian

I guess a visit to paonta sahib gurudwara is must en-route. It is simply bliss. Also not to forget Freshly plucked apples and apple juice in kala-amb/paonta sahib region which is famous and truly a different taste from usual bottled juice served anywhere else.

Chandigarh-DDun was a cherished 'bunking' trip in our school during midterms.
Old 5th March 2009, 17:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dont take via Saharnpur if you are travelling by day. You will rue the fact. Plus it is slightly more than 50 if you are taking the Saharnpur-Mohand-Dehradun route. Roads are toelrable the only bad patch is between paonta and Herbertpur but it is easily managed. RK take care the road is narrow and the slow traffic (read rickshaws, auto's) dont give way and at places the berm is significantly lower than the road surface. So pick your spot and give way whenever you ahve a decnt scope of taking two tyres down from the asphalt.

@Breezy instead of branching off from Shahbad go till Ambala and turn right towards Naraingarh from Baldev Nagar Camp. Road is good and no traffic. Then follow on towards Kalaamb. Should not take you more than 30-45 minutes till Kalaamb from Ambala turnoff.

Just shy of Paonta Sahib there is a casablanca factory to your left. In case you need woolens its just the place to pick them up at very reasonable prices. The place is about 7kms from Dhaula Kuan and about 2 kms short of Paonta Sahib turn off. Just before the factory there is a fire station on your right side which is as good a marker as any.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 5th March 2009 at 17:03.
Old 5th March 2009, 17:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

@RK where would you be required to go in Dehradun. I just might be able to save you some time in negotiating the unruly traffic in Dehradun as well.
Old 5th March 2009, 21:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Jasi Bro, are you sure its 50Km extra, in map it looks more.
Yes Bharat, I'm pretty much sure that it is about 50kms more only, +/- 10%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Dont take via Saharnpur if you are travelling by day. You will rue the fact. Plus it is slightly more than 50 if you are taking the Saharnpur-Mohand-Dehradun route. Roads are toelrable the only bad patch is between paonta and Herbertpur but it is easily managed. RK take care the road is narrow and the slow traffic (read rickshaws, auto's) dont give way and at places the berm is significantly lower than the road surface. So pick your spot and give way whenever you ahve a decnt scope of taking two tyres down from the asphalt.

@Breezy instead of branching off from Shahbad go till Ambala and turn right towards Naraingarh from Baldev Nagar Camp. Road is good and no traffic. Then follow on towards Kalaamb. Should not take you more than 30-45 minutes till Kalaamb from Ambala turnoff.

Just shy of Paonta Sahib there is a casablanca factory to your left. In case you need woolens its just the place to pick them up at very reasonable prices. The place is about 7kms from Dhaula Kuan and about 2 kms short of Paonta Sahib turn off. Just before the factory there is a fire station on your right side which is as good a marker as any.
But, as wondernomad has said, I'm not sure about the traffic conditions in day. Both times that I took this route was in midnight.

So, i guess, it would be better to go with wondernomad's suggestion.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks