Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2012, 08:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coimbatore to GOA via Calicut this summer

If you leave early from Coimbatore (say, 4 am), you will be able to beat KL traffic till Calicut which you can cross by 8 am. You will face some traffic between Calicut & Kannur.

Roads are good throughout.

Traffic will be high between Mangalore & KUndapura too.

You can reach Goa the same day in the evening, assuming you cross Mangalore before lunch time.

On the way back, since you want to visit KA hill stations, you can probably plan the drive via HOnavar, Jog Falls, Sagar, Shimoga, Tarikere, Chickmagalur, Belur-Haleebidu, Hassan, Mysore, Chamrajnagar & Sathy.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 09:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coimbatore to GOA via Calicut this summer

I would second HVK's suggestion. Palakkad to Calicut can be done in 2.5 hrs if you have an early morning start. Calicut to Badagara the road is good and but you can maintain only max 70 km/h due to traffic. No idea about Badagara - Kasargod stretch, but heard it is decent, but narrow. Kasargod-Mangalore is OK now

Returning back you can either come via Shimoga or Chikmagalur if you want to visit Hillstations

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
the roads in the route you have mentioned are a bit suspect with regards to the condition but high on scenic value. you would have to go via palaghat. roads in kerala near palaghat and thrissur are quite bad. i had been through in january.
The Coimbatore - Calicut route does not touch Trichur, and also the road is in good condition
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 15:07   #33
BHPian

re: Coimbatore - Goa : Route Queries

Hi friends,

I'm again planning a trip to Calangute,Goa in the last week of December. How is the road condition from Coimbatore to Goa via, Sathyamangalam, Mysore and Shimoga? If I start early at around 5 in the morning from Coimbatore, what time can I reach Calangute?

If not this route, which is the fastest way to reach Calangute?
Old 1st December 2013, 16:33   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
CBE-Sathy-T-Narasipura-Srirangapatna-Pandavpura-Nagamangala-Neligere-Huliyar-Hiriyur-Hubli-Chorla-Calengute

That should be the best option. Best of 2-lanes and 4-lanes.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 01:53   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Hi friends,

I'm again planning a trip to Calangute,Goa in the last week of December. How is the road condition from Coimbatore to Goa via, Sathyamangalam, Mysore and Shimoga? If I start early at around 5 in the morning from Coimbatore, what time can I reach Calangute?

Harsha, the route Coimbatore-Sathyamangala-Srirangapatna-Pandavapura-Nagamangala-Nelligere-Huliyar-Hubli-Chorla-Calangute is good. distance about 879 Kms

There are many alternatives, I suggest Coimbatore-Sathyamangala-Mysore-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog-Honnavar-Karwar-Calangute Distance about 815 Kms

The idea is the shimoga route takes you much direct towards Goa rather than the GQ -NH4 Hubli route
Downside is you will be passing through south Goa with narrow roads but it will be very interesting road believe me
Amperes route will see that you join NH4 GQ road at Hiriyur and you will be driving through to Hubli 253 Kms in very high speeds ( except for toll booth traffic nuisance). This could possibly cover up for the 60 Kms short distance that you see from Shimoga-Honnavar route.

If you like a scenic route ( making journey itself into a splendid experience then choose the coastal route - shimoga-honnavar-karwar) but if reaching Calangute is a priority with a faster but boring route choose the Hubli route.

else you can try one route going and the other route returning and post your experience as a guideline for future TBHPians.

Of course I am discounting the mysore-mangalore - udupi- Honnavar route as it is a total NO NO as those internal stretches are nightmare to say the least.

Traffic in Goa is very manageable with the only annoying factor being the narrow roads, but it is fun though. The entire one way distance could be covered in 12-15 hours comfortably (I don't know the Tamilnadu side road conditions or even the roads in the mysore district, but guess it should be good)
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 06:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post

Harsha, the route Coimbatore-Sathyamangala-Srirangapatna-Pandavapura-Nagamangala-Nelligere-Huliyar-Hubli-Chorla-Calangute is good. distance about 879 Kms

There are many alternatives, I suggest Coimbatore-Sathyamangala-Mysore-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog-Honnavar-Karwar-Calangute Distance about 815 Kms

The idea is the shimoga route takes you much direct towards Goa rather than the GQ -NH4 Hubli route
Downside is you will be passing through south Goa with narrow roads but it will be very interesting road believe me
Amperes route will see that you join NH4 GQ road at Hiriyur and you will be driving through to Hubli 253 Kms in very high speeds ( except for toll booth traffic nuisance). This could possibly cover up for the 60 Kms short distance that you see from Shimoga-Honnavar route.

If you like a scenic route ( making journey itself into a splendid experience then choose the coastal route - shimoga-honnavar-karwar) but if reaching Calangute is a priority with a faster but boring route choose the Hubli route.

else you can try one route going and the other route returning and post your experience as a guideline for future TBHPians.

Of course I am discounting the mysore-mangalore - udupi- Honnavar route as it is a total NO NO as those internal stretches are nightmare to say the least.

Traffic in Goa is very manageable with the only annoying factor being the narrow roads, but it is fun though. The entire one way distance could be covered in 12-15 hours comfortably (I don't know the Tamilnadu side road conditions or even the roads in the mysore district, but guess it should be good)
From a speed perspective, I think the Bangalore route may still be the fastest with four lane highways through out. Cbe-salem-krishnagiri-electronic city- tumkur-hubli-calangute through the north Goa. But this will not be as scenic and but might take you there fastest with least number of braking and gear shifts.

Route and speed also depends on the car you plan to take. My car did not enjoy the bad Kerala roads at all. Not sure of their condition now. If you have a SUV then that's a different story.

Last edited by rohing : 2nd December 2013 at 06:22.
rohing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 20:48   #37
BHPian

Hi,
I'm from Goa and will be traveling in a group of 2-3 cars from here to Coimbatore.
what route should we follow?
points to consider
1.both cars are old diesels that prefer flat roads. An mm540 and a 1980 vw golf.
2.leaving tuesday early morning from Goa.(will have a stop along the way)
3.will be going at 80kmph max yet always prefer better road conditions and less ghat sections
Old 12th October 2014, 22:07   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_aRe_Cee View Post
Hi,
I'm from Goa and will be traveling in a group of 2-3 cars from here to Coimbatore.
points to consider
1.both cars are old diesels that prefer flat roads. An mm540 and a 1980 vw golf.
3.will be going at 80kmph max yet always prefer better road conditions and less ghat sections
If you are starting from North Goa then go via Chorla to Belgaum and there on its four lane all the way to Coimbatore. For south Goa it's Karwar Ankola Hubli and then the four lane.
Old 12th October 2014, 22:58   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_aRe_Cee View Post
Hi,
points to consider
Take the NH4A..Ponda-Mollem-Anmod-Ramnagar-Dharwad and join the NH4. you will have minor problems only between Anmod and Ramnagar. But considering your 80 kmph maximum speed and the vehicles you have mentioned, it should not be any kind of a problem. you have great roads from Ramnagar onwards till coimbatore. ( NH4 till Bangalore and NH7 / NH47 till Coimbatore.)
Sampathkumar
Sampath Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 08:43   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampath Kumar View Post
Take the NH4A..Ponda-Mollem-Anmod-Ramnagar-Dharwad and join the NH4. you will have minor problems only between Anmod and Ramnagar. But considering your 80 kmph maximum speed and the vehicles you have mentioned, it should not be any kind of a problem. you have great roads from Ramnagar onwards till coimbatore. ( NH4 till Bangalore and NH7 / NH47 till Coimbatore.)
Sampathkumar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are starting from North Goa then go via Chorla to Belgaum and there on its four lane all the way to Coimbatore. For south Goa it's Karwar Ankola Hubli and then the four lane.
Thanx for the input!
I ended up not talking the Golf so I wasn't deciding the route. We went via kerela and stopped at Mangalore over night. the roads after Mangalore were horrible!(before Mangalore there were signs effort to patch the road) reached Coimbatore around 10pm
While coming back we took the Bangalore route and stopped in a village. The roads were far better. came back via the Ponda route and the road was quite bad for a short stretch.
Attached Thumbnails
Coimbatore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_20141101083525.png  

Coimbatore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_20141101083531.png  

Old 8th February 2016, 15:09   #41
BHPian

Coimbatore - Goa route Query

Dear all - We will be doing Coimbatore-Goa-Coimbatore next weekend and would like to know the best options available.Since we would be taking the NH4 route via Bangalore on the return leg,we are considering the following options.Kindly suggest based one road quality.

1) Coimbatore - Srirangapatna - Shimoga - Karwar - Calangute

2) Coimbatore - Mysore - Madikeri - Mangalore - Goa

3) Coimbatore - Calicut - Kasargod - Mangalore - Goa

Thanks
Sam

Mod Note: Please use search before you create a new thread. Chances are your query might have already been addressed before !

Last edited by ampere : 8th February 2016 at 16:21.
Old 8th February 2016, 16:34   #42
Team-BHP Support

Re: Coimbatore - Goa route Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Since we would be taking the NH4 route via Bangalore on the return leg,we are considering the following options.Kindly suggest based one road quality.
Quote:
1) Coimbatore - Srirangapatna - Shimoga - Karwar - Calangute
This is the route to take.

CBE-Sathy-Chamarajanagar-T Narasipur - Bannur - Srirangapatna - K R Pete - CR Patna - Arsikere - Shimoga - Honnavar - Ankola - Karwar - Goa

Route Link

It sure is going to be one long drive in access of 12/13 hours. So if you are with family, plan for a break some where in between; Shimoga for example.
Old 23rd June 2016, 01:21   #43
BHPian

Thinking of a trip to Goa from Coimbatore with family. Planning to take the KL route to enjoy the scenic drive. Would like to know the road conditions at present. TIA
Old 23rd June 2016, 01:50   #44
Team-BHP Support

Re: Coimbatore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Thinking of a trip to Goa from Coimbatore with family. Planning to take the KL route to enjoy the scenic drive. Would like to know the road conditions at present. TIA
Coimbattore-Palakkad-Calicut-Cannore-Mangalore-Goa will be a extremely tough and fatigue prone drive in my opinion.

Another option can be:

Coimbatore-Sathy-Chamarajanagar-T Narasipur-Srirangapatna-KR Peter - CR Patna-Arsikere - Shimoga-Honnavar-Karwar-Goa.

A green and scenic route but with much less traffic.
Old 23rd June 2016, 01:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Coimbatore-Sathy-Chamarajanagar-T Narasipur-Srirangapatna-KR Peter - CR Patna-Arsikere - Shimoga-Honnavar-Karwar-Goa.
Thanks for the quick reply Ampere. If I take this route and start by 8.30 in the morn from Coimbatore can I reach karwar by 22.00? Does it involve ghat section drives as well?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks