Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2009, 00:17   #1
BHPian

Coimbatore - Goa : Route Queries

Im planning a drive to Goa in 10 days.

Starting from Ramanathapuram to mangalore on the first day via madurai, Dindigul, Dharapuram, Coimbatore, Palakkad, Manjeri, Kozhikode and mahe.

Second day will do the Mangalore - Goa Stretch.

Can anybody give information on the present road conditions between coimbatore to goa?
Old 8th March 2009, 09:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

I believe Nh17 is still in a bad shape in several places.

Why not try the route from Coimbatore via Sathy, Mysore, K R Pet, Channarayapatna, Arsikere, Tarikere, Shimoga, Sagar, Jog Falls, Honavar, Kumta and Karwar. You could break in Shimoga if you are really fast, but otherwise Mysore is also a good place to stay overnight.
Old 8th March 2009, 09:57   #3
BHPian

Drove from Tirunelveli to Goa in January with wife in my Gypsy King. Luckily, the transporters strike was on, so the roads were free of truck traffic. We used madurai, Dindigul, Dharapuram, did not touch Coimbatore but went to Pollachi, Palakkad, Kozhikode and mangalore.

I believe the Kerala roads are a bitch when the traffic is on full. There was one bad stretch in Kasargod district where some road work is going on. Some bridge and bye-pass work near Mangalore. The drive from the outskirts of Mangalore all the way to Goa is a dream, made excellent time. The cops at the Goa border pull over vehicles with out-station registrations and shake you down for their evening drink.
Old 8th March 2009, 20:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I believe Nh17 is still in a bad shape in several places.

Why not try the route from Coimbatore via Sathy, Mysore, K R Pet, Channarayapatna, Arsikere, Tarikere, Shimoga, Sagar, Jog Falls, Honavar, Kumta and Karwar. You could break in Shimoga if you are really fast, but otherwise Mysore is also a good place to stay overnight.

Kumar,

I have planned stay at my friends place in mangalore. And i also like to do the Mangalore Goa Stretch. Heard its so scenic.

May be i can do the return journey via Shimoga, Jog Falls and Mysore. Whats there in Shimoga and is Jog Falls on the way or should i take a diversion?
Old 8th March 2009, 21:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the coastal NH17 is a good drive.
You can stop over briefly in so many places - Malpe Beach (Udupi), Udupi Sri Krishna Temple, Maravanthe Beach (after Kundapura), Mookambika Temple at Kollur (detour of 30 kms), Murudeshwara, Gokarna, Karwar.
You have good hotels to stay at Udupi, Kundapura, Honavar, Kumta and Karwar.

Nothing in Shimoga except that it has decent hotels to stay in en route. The route is through the scenic Western Ghat region and has some lovely view. Jog Falls )on teh HOnavar-Shimoga road, no detour) may have little or no water now though. You can also take a detour to Chickmagalur and Belur-Halebid.
Old 10th March 2009, 23:14   #6
BHPian

I need suggestions on stay in Goa. Around 5 or 6 of us will be staying. All bachelors. And a beech resort is preferable. we will be staying for 4-5 days.
Old 11th March 2009, 11:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Im planning a drive to Goa in 10 days.

Starting from Ramanathapuram to mangalore on the first day via madurai, Dindigul, Dharapuram, Coimbatore, Palakkad, Manjeri, Kozhikode and mahe.

Second day will do the Mangalore - Goa Stretch.

Can anybody give information on the present road conditions between coimbatore to goa?
For the first leg you can go via Dindigul -Palani - Udumalpet - Pollachi - Palakkad. Short route, state high way and in good condition. You can also avoid Coimbatore.
Old 18th March 2009, 00:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
For the first leg you can go via Dindigul -Palani - Udumalpet - Pollachi - Palakkad. Short route, state high way and in good condition. You can also avoid Coimbatore.
I need to pick up my friends in Coimbatore and im quite familiar with roads till Palakkad.

Palakkar to Kozhikode, which road is preferable? Via Mallapuram or Manjeri?
Old 18th March 2009, 00:38   #9
BHPian

Need some info about route between palakkad and Kasaragod.

Mapmyindia suggests via Mallapuram, Kozhikode Bypass via Blue Moon Restaurant, Quilandy, Vadakara, Mahe, again Thalasseri Bypass via RS, Kannanur RS, Cheruthazham, Payyannur, Kanhangod, and Kasaragod.

I have two doubts regarding this route.

1, Why not Palakkad, Manjeri, Kozhikode instead of Palakkad, Mallapuram and Kozhikode?

2,Why not Payyanur, Udna, Kasaragod instead of Payyanur, kanhangod and Kasaragod?

And whats the approximate travel time between Palakkad and Mangalore?
Old 18th March 2009, 09:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Palakkad to Mangalore is via Mannarkad, Perintalmanna, Feroke, Calicut, Koyilandy, Wadakara, Mahe, Talaserry, Kannur and Kasargod.

NH17 goes from Kannur to Kasargod via Talaparamba, Payyanur and Kanhangad.

You must budget a day for the drive.
Old 18th March 2009, 11:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I need to pick up my friends in Coimbatore and im quite familiar with roads till Palakkad.

Road through Manjeri may be shorter but the condition of road is not good. Road through Malappuram is better as it is an NH(NH 213). From Palakkad get on to NH 213. It will go through Mannarkkad-Perintalmanna-Malappuram-Kondotty. At Ramanattukara(before calicut) it will merge with NH17. NH17 takes you to North trough Calicut-Kannur-Talipparamba-Kasargod...
Old 18th March 2009, 22:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Palakkad to Mangalore is via Mannarkad, Perintalmanna, Feroke, Calicut, Koyilandy, Wadakara, Mahe, Talaserry, Kannur and Kasargod.

NH17 goes from Kannur to Kasargod via Talaparamba, Payyanur and Kanhangad.

You must budget a day for the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Road through Manjeri may be shorter but the condition of road is not good. Road through Malappuram is better as it is an NH(NH 213). From Palakkad get on to NH 213. It will go through Mannarkkad-Perintalmanna-Malappuram-Kondotty. At Ramanattukara(before calicut) it will merge with NH17. NH17 takes you to North trough Calicut-Kannur-Talipparamba-Kasargod...

Kumar, Matt,

Thanks for the info.
Old 28th March 2009, 08:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Manjeri route is shorter - by only about 5km or so. The Malappuram route is NH 213 all the way from Palakkad till Ramanattukara (a satellite town of Kozhikode) and NH 17 thereafter and hence is better maintained.

There is an alternate route via Cherpulassery (diverges to your left about 25 km from Palakkad on NH 213 and meets it again at Perinthalmanna) that the local taxi and rent-a-car drivers prefer since it saves about 25-30km; if you are brave enough you could try that (it is not a bad road, but lacks the facilities and crowd of NH 213).

Binand
Old 28th March 2009, 08:41   #14
BHPian

Returned home on 26th late night after a week long trip to Goa. Total trip distance 2950+. Last days drive was from Mangalore to Ramanathapuram at a stretch with less than a hour break. 15 hrs and around 750 kms. Took the vehicle at 10:30Am and reached home at 1:30Pm. Longest drive i have ever done in my santro and alone .

The roads from Calicut to Palakad was breeze. Curvy and smooth. Was drifting most of the time with my poor santro. But traffic was heavy and so couldn't maintain good speeds for long. But as a whole, a memorable drive.
Old 28th March 2009, 17:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Returned home on 26th late night after a week long trip to Goa. Total trip distance 2950+. The roads from Calicut to Palakad was breeze. Curvy and smooth. But as a whole, a memorable drive.
Harsh that sounds like a lovely trip, How about posting a Travelogue with pictures

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks