Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2005, 11:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Hi fellas!

I need to get an IDL like ASAP. Is there anyone who can help me out here? The karnataka RTO website says that the address on the license AND the passport should be same and of Bangalore. I have Bangalore address on my passport but the driver license has address from my hometown in Punjab. I dont have the time to get the address changed on the license now.

Do any of u guys know wot can be done???

Regards
Amitoj

Last edited by aah78 : 9th July 2008 at 20:51. Reason: All IDL / IDP Threads consolidated into one.
Old 27th May 2005, 11:57   #2
BHPian

Yep I think those 2 addresses need to be the same.....maybe you can get it done via hook or crook (agent etc...)
Luckily for me both addresses were same even though I dont live at that address anymore!
Btw just a question abt where you intend to travel?......in case you are travelling to US/UK many places IDP is not required.
Old 27th May 2005, 12:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Lucky you Abhay.
I will be going to New Hampshire. They do give out licenses to non residents, but i will need an NOC from my hometown for that. I have put things in motion for that as well.
But since on the way back i am trying to make some plans to pay europe a visit, it would be better if i get an IDL.

Rgds
Amitoj
Old 27th May 2005, 12:15   #4
BHPian

on the same token..is an IDL valid in india..for say someone coming from another country like the US or the UK?
Old 27th May 2005, 12:25   #5
BHPian

ok im on Kanataka's RTO website...i read under the section for "foreign nationals wishing to obtain drivers license"...but im confused..do i have to get a learners permit??? or can i just walk in and get a license..showing them my US pasport and my California drivers license??? Because it says that foreign nationals holding an IDL or a foreign license are exempt from the competence to drive test.
Old 27th May 2005, 12:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

The process is easier if the address in both passport and driving license is same. If not, you need to get an No Objection Certificate from your home tomn to change the address in your driving license. This NOC needs to filed in the concerned Regional Transport office along with your passport copy (as an address proof) & application form of the IDL.

Also you need valid visa, confirmed airticket which needs to be submitted (photocopies needs to be attaced & originals needs to be produced before the office in charge)

They will change the address in your driving license & process the IDL.

This can be completed within weeks time.

Iam not sure whether this can be processed without changing your address in the driving license.

May be you can visit the RTO office in person to get the correct details in one shot as time is killing factor for you

Last edited by Surprise : 27th May 2005 at 12:32.
Old 27th May 2005, 12:37   #7
BHPian

any help for my question???
Old 27th May 2005, 12:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
any help for my question???
Is your stay in India short term or longterm?
Old 27th May 2005, 12:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Is your stay in India short term or longterm?
longterm (it will be about 4-5 years)
Old 27th May 2005, 13:05   #10
BANNED

amotij - please check out the DMV site of the US state you're visiting. I know for a fact that California does NOT recognize an IDL. Your original Indian driving license is good enough to rent & drive cars provided you are there for a short stay (~ 3 months).

Europe - Switzerland allows you to drive with your original Indian driving license for 1 year from date of entry provided your license is in English. If not, you need an IDL.

On occasions when I have rented cars in these 2 locations, there was no check for the same address in passport and driving license. Mine are also different (need to get the DL address changed!).

hrag

Last edited by hrag : 27th May 2005 at 13:08.
Old 27th May 2005, 13:22   #11
Team-BHP Support

wiaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Hi fellas!

I need to get an IDL like ASAP. Is there anyone who can help me out here? The karnataka RTO website says that the address on the license AND the passport should be same and of Bangalore. I have Bangalore address on my passport but the driver license has address from my hometown in Punjab. I dont have the time to get the address changed on the license now.

Do any of u guys know wot can be done???

Regards
Amitoj
do u have a WIAA (Western Indian Automobile Association) or similar body in Bangalore? if yes, then visit their office and they will help you get your International Permit. it'll be an easier process compared to running around at the RTO.

ads
Old 27th May 2005, 13:29   #12
BHPian

if you are willing to pay money (Expect a substantial amount as its an IDP), everything will be sorted out. I got an IDP made from delhi when my driving licence was from haryana. Paid around 1.5K for this.
Old 27th May 2005, 13:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Common, aren't we the same guys who blame cops for being corrupt? Here we are, openly encouraging it ;-)

Bodies like WIAA can help you in that. They have office in Pune and my friend got their help in securing IDP, but that is long back and don't know if rules have changed recently.

Many US states (like MA, MN) can accept indian license. So, I suggest you check that as well. Don't exactly remember about Europian rules. Frequent fliers like Steer can tell more.
Old 27th May 2005, 14:04   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Amitoj,

1. Approach a driving school / reliable agent. You will only have to go down for two minutes to the RTO office to sign a document.

2. Carry your Indian licence AND your IDL. Some states in the US recognise either / or.

GTO
Old 27th May 2005, 14:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

This is what i found on the ma.gov site (Massachusettes), in the FAQ section:

"Q#4. Is a foreign licensed driver required to carry an International Driving Permit (IDP) when driving in Massachusetts?
A. No. Although some countries require a foreign motorist to possess an IDP, the United States has not done so. It is suggested, however, that he/she carry an IDP if the foreign license is not printed in the English language."

Source:http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21317.pdf

The answer above mentions "United States" and not just Massachusettes.

They have listed the countries in an appendix whose licenses are accepted in US. India is there in the list.

I asked a couple of people here in office also and they also said that if visiting for a month or two, you can use ur indian license to rent and drive a car.

Anyways, it seems its much easier to get an IDL from Patiala, so i am gonna do that now. Better safe than sorry!!

Thanks for all your replies. Once again TBHP comes to my rescue!

Cheers
Amitoj

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks