Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2006, 14:08   #61
BHPian

What is the use of Intl' Driving License?

What is the use of IDL? One can drive abroad with normal Indian license for 1 year at least (in most countries).

What advantage an IDL gives to the driver?

Also, both IDL and normal driving license is issued by Govt. of India. So, how does IDL gives more acceptibility abroad?

Old 15th June 2006, 14:32   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, both IDL and normal driving license is issued by Govt. of India. So, how does IDL gives more acceptibility abroad?
Good question! Its probably just one more area to earn a bit more for the RTO's.
Old 15th June 2006, 15:02   #63
F50
Senior - BHPian

Even if you have IDL is it accepted everywhere coz once I was talking to a cop he told that it is not accepted everywhere.
Old 15th June 2006, 15:04   #64
Team-BHP Support

The countries that accept the licence are mentioned on the IDL (if I remember correct). No, its not accepted everywhere.
Old 15th June 2006, 15:06   #65
ash_edged

International Driving License is good !

Indian DL doesnt allow you to drive in some LHD european countries. They do a lot of chic - chic in greek and i couldnt get a thing.

Plus when I wanted to get my 1 yrs UK driving license which they were giving me free in exchange for my Indian DL but which was valid for 20 years and i would NOT be returned that after a year so i instead opted to apply for a seperate UK driving licesne which costed me to pass a theory and practaical driving lessons plus a license fee i think it was £115 in total.

But i think if i had my International DL which i could have got from India for like Rs.550 i would have exchanged it for the 1 yr UK license ... So all those people who are coming to UK and planning to drive getting an International DL is a good idea.

Some places they accpet your Indian license but say for instance you want to rent a Ferrari ... ok BMW for a day they wouldnt ... well most of the rentals wouldnt.

cheers,
ash

Old 15th June 2006, 15:21   #66
Senior - BHPian

An IDL is supposed to have your license information in multiple languages. When you are travelling to a country where English is not used (eg many european countries) , thats where IDL is supposed to be useful.
Since i have not been in any of these situations, and my own IDL did not have any such information, i have used the expression "supposed to"

Amitoj
Old 15th June 2006, 16:46   #67

does any1 know whether IDL/Indian License is valid in Bahrain/other Gulf States?
and what is the official website for IDL?
thanks
Old 24th January 2007, 08:53   #68
BHPian

Where is Indian Driving license valid in US?

I have Indian Driving License with IDP. Which all states in US can I drive legally? I heard only NY and CA recongnize Indian license.

Also can I take car on rent showing Indian License? Is there any extra charges for that since the license is not US based?

Experienced T-BHPians please reply!
Thanks in advance!
Old 24th January 2007, 09:18   #69
BHPian

In CA, IDP (Infact any other US state licence) is valid for 12 months and you can rent a car. Insurance may be higher and no special discounts.
Old 24th January 2007, 09:38   #70
BHPian

exactly what i wanted to know!!
i'm planning to go for a road trip in the US this summer and i want to know which are all the states where my license would be valid.
Old 24th January 2007, 09:45   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

You need an international drivers licence from WIAA india.
Old 24th January 2007, 09:59   #72
Senior - BHPian

Actually its not valid.. But some states like CA, MA do allow you to drive while on short trips (its not very clear as to what defines a short trip). Nevada doesnt allow.. Not sure about other states..
Old 24th January 2007, 10:18   #73
BHPian

if ur indian license is accompanied by an IDP, then isnt it valid all over the country (i know for sure its valid in Canada) and most rentals wont have a problem renting a car to you (unless your under 25).
Old 24th January 2007, 10:21   #74
Team-BHP Support

It is funny. I have been told by cops in NJ that IDPs are not valid and cops in NYC that they are. Go figure. I guess the rules are interpreted differently in various states. now remember my expereince was in 1982. After that I had a US licence (now valid till 2013).
Old 24th January 2007, 10:28   #75
BANNED

Your Indian Driving License is valid in California. In fact, California does not recognise the International Driving Permit.

Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

I have rented cars from Enterprise in California with my Indian Driving License. Enterprise arranged insurance for me (I had to pay, not much) since I didn't have my own.

I don't know about other states in the US.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks