Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2011, 15:42   #196
buz
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Hi. I am travelling to Turkey shortly. I have an english language smart card driving license. Do I still need to get an IDP issued or will the license alone suffice for driving within Turkey?
Old 20th July 2011, 17:43   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Will my Indian driving license in english allow me to drive in Malaysia?
Old 27th July 2011, 10:28   #198
Senior - BHPian

I drove last year in Penang Malaysia on my Bangalore issued license. So i guess you shouldnt have a problem in Malaysia.
Old 1st August 2011, 14:10   #199
BHPian

Hi, any idea if we can use standard / smart card Indian Union Driving License to drive in Argentina?
Old 7th October 2011, 11:15   #200
BHPian

Guys I heard that a person holding a valid Indian driving license can get a New Jersey state driving license without giving any tests. is it true? If no,t do we need to have an IDP?
Old 3rd November 2011, 02:34   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No state in US accepts IDP. License from your home country is a must.

Most states except Foreign license as long as you are on a short term VISA.
However, Nevada is one such state which requires a US driving license.

That said, most states also say that if your home country license is not in english, you need an IDP which will act as a "translation".
I dont think Nevada requires a US issued Driving license. see

Foreign Visitors to Nevada - Foreign Driver's License Holders

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/dlbook.pdf

Been on too many trips to the sin city and no one told me so either.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 3rd November 2011 at 02:36.
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:27   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I dont think Nevada requires a US issued Driving license. see

Foreign Visitors to Nevada - Foreign Driver's License Holders

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/dlbook.pdf

Been on too many trips to the sin city and no one told me so either.
From the drivers handbook
Quote:
You do not need a Nevada license if you are:
• An active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces and you have a valid license from your home
state.
• A non-resident, such as an out-of-state student, tourist or seasonal resident. But, if you want to
drive in Nevada, you must be at least 16 years old, have a valid license from your home state
and comply with Nevada traffi c and fi nancial responsibility laws
They do not mention international visitors at all. No its an omission by design or accident, its anybodies guess, but many companies tell their employees that they cannot drive in Nevada with Indian license(even on business visit)
Old 14th November 2011, 13:26   #203
Senior - BHPian

Bhpians, I would be going to Melbourne, Australia in the last week of Jan 2012. I wanted to know the procedure for obtaining an IDL. Mine drivers license is from Vashi RTO MH43. I tried looking up at the Mumbai RTO website, could only find the fees applicable, Rs. 500, no forms. Please guide me through. I don't mind going to the RTO, as I don't like paying bribes.

And has anyone been to the Melbourne F1 racing track. Just found this peice of information. the only catch is speed is limited to 50 kmph only.
Would be trying it too, so IDL is required.

"During the 9 months of the year when the track is not required for Grand Prix preparation or the race weekend, most of the track can be driven by ordinary street-registered vehicles either clockwise or anti-clockwise."
Old 29th November 2011, 13:50   #204
Senior - BHPian

Is having a valid visa necessary for applying for an IDP? I enquired at a couple of driving schools and they quoted 1500 INR. For documents they need my existing DL, passport copy and visa copy.

I am surprised about the visa copy, what if you are traveling to a country where Indian's get visa on arrival?

Regards
Old 11th January 2012, 03:31   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Guys I heard that a person holding a valid Indian driving license can get a New Jersey state driving license without giving any tests. is it true? If no,t do we need to have an IDP?
Not true. You can drive in NJ for a limited period of time with a valid Indian DL (I had driven for 6 weeks with Indian DL), but can't get a NJ DL. For first time applicants of NJ DL, you have to take the test. For renewal of an expired NJ DL, you don't have to take any tests, but need a 6-point ID verification, Social Security Number and Address proof. Nothing under the 6-point ID verification lists an Indian DL anyway.
Old 19th January 2012, 23:00   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
Not true. You can drive in NJ for a limited period of time with a valid Indian DL (I had driven for 6 weeks with Indian DL), but can't get a NJ DL. For first time applicants of NJ DL, you have to take the test. For renewal of an expired NJ DL, you don't have to take any tests, but need a 6-point ID verification, Social Security Number and Address proof. Nothing under the 6-point ID verification lists an Indian DL anyway.

I got my NJ license back in 2007, and at that time i did not have any license - didn't even know how to drive! do had to go through the permit-> probationary license -> regular license route. however, many people i know had Indian card type licenses (a handful of them did not know how to drive but had the license nonetheless), and were issued NJ licenses without road test (only MCQ written test required). Don't know if that has changed.
While converting my NJ license to NC - I had to give a MCQ test and get my NC license. But when I traded my NC license for my WI license, no test was required.
Also it was extremely helpful that NJ issues licenses with expiry date = I94 expiry date + 3 month. NC / WI licenses expire on the I94 expiry date itself.
Old 20th January 2012, 02:01   #207
BHPian

Hi everybody
Can a Hong Kong licence holder drive in India with an International Driving permit?
Does he have to get any endorsement done by any local authority?
Does the cop on the street know about such an IDP?
Please,somebody,reply as early as possible.
Thanks and regards
Old 24th January 2012, 03:13   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
Can a Hong Kong licence holder drive in India with an International Driving permit?
Does he have to get any endorsement done by any local authority?
Does the cop on the street know about such an IDP?
Please,somebody,reply as early as possible.
Thanks and regards
Yes. That's how I drive in India. Swedish driver's license with International permit. No permits from the local authorities. Never had any trouble (but never been in a situation where I've had to show a cop my international license).

Downside is the permit is only valid for one year. Need to get a new one each time.
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 00:40   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
Its true man..

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I got my NJ license back in 2007, and at that time i did not have any license - didn't even know how to drive! do had to go through the permit-> probationary license -> regular license route. however, many people i know had Indian card type licenses (a handful of them did not know how to drive but had the license nonetheless), and were issued NJ licenses without road test (only MCQ written test required). Don't know if that has changed.
While converting my NJ license to NC - I had to give a MCQ test and get my NC license. But when I traded my NC license for my WI license, no test was required.
Also it was extremely helpful that NJ issues licenses with expiry date = I94 expiry date + 3 month. NC / WI licenses expire on the I94 expiry date itself.
Yes, even I got a NJ DL without any road test. I had a smart card, but I have seen people who had similar one being asked for a road test. Proably they have certain checkpoints, or depends on the mood of the officer.
Old 8th February 2012, 08:56   #210
BHPian

So far as I know the RTOs in Karnataka issue only IDP i.e., International Driving Permit. I have never heard of anything like IDL i.e., International Driving License. Someone having better information please throw some light.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks