Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 11:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

As suggested in previous threads, it seems Kumili-Theni route is better for you.

I suggest you to start little early and reach Velankanni in the evening. IMO, you may keep at least 10 hrs for this trip with family.

Also I suggest you to go to church in the evening/night as its very hot even at 8.30-9am.
Old 19th April 2010, 15:05   #32

hi coolclouds

Thanks for the information. We will be reaching Bharananganam from Angamaly. So if we leave at 5:00AM, we may reach at about 8:00AM. Then maybe 2 hrs at Bharananganam and breakfast - may be able to leave by 11:00AM. I think it is better to halt for the night at Thanjavur. Hotel Gnanam is good. I have stayed there a few times. Meanwhile thanks once again.
Thomas
Press ENTER to look up in Wiktionary or CTRL+ENTER to look up in Wikipedia
Old 25th April 2010, 22:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomman View Post
I think it is better to halt for the night at Thanjavur. Hotel Gnanam is good. I have stayed there a few times. Meanwhile thanks once again.
You could also try to take the NH from Madurai all the way to Trichy and then onto Thanjavur. It is 4 laned all the way and would be time saving and tension free to the Pudukottai route.

I did it last week (Tirunelveli to Thanjavur) and used the NH all the way. Previously I used to take the SH via Pudukkottai, though the roads are decent, the NH now beats it.
Old 25th April 2010, 22:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post

I did it last week (Tirunelveli to Thanjavur) and used the NH all the way. Previously I used to take the SH via Pudukkottai, though the roads are decent, the NH now beats it.
How was the Trichy bypass? And how bad is the widening work between Trichy-Thanjavur?
Old 26th April 2010, 10:52   #35

hi

That means from Madurai - take NH45B via Melur - Viralimalai - Trichy bypass ? And as hvkumar sir asked - is the Trichy by pass done....
Regards and Thanks
Thomas
Old 19th October 2016, 02:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Muvattupuzha(kochin) to Velankanni-route enquiry:

I am planning for a Velankanni visit in the next month. Can someone please update the best road option from Muvattupuzha to Velankanni? We are travelling with baby and will need enough breaks to refresh. Also, I want to drive only in the day time, so assuming it is going to take 11-12 hours, Shall we start in the morning? Also, Now the Google Maps suggests (goo.gl/SwMlkz) to take Muvattupuzha-Kothamangalam-Thalakode-Rajakumari-Pooppara-Bodi-Theni-Dindigul-Trichy-Thanjavoor-Velankanni route which is shown as 480kms or so. Can someone update the condition of the road through Kothamangalam-Rajakkad-Pooppara-Bodi-Theni? From what I recall, this is a narrow deserted stretch? Also, suggest any better routes even if lengthy and can be used to reach faster.
TIA,
DC
Old 19th October 2016, 07:14   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Also, Now the Google Maps suggests (goo.gl/SwMlkz) to take Muvattupuzha-Kothamangalam-Thalakode-Rajakumari-Pooppara-Bodi-Theni-Dindigul-Trichy-Thanjavoor-Velankanni route which is shown as 480kms or so.
This is a best option as per me too.

- Wide 2-lane from Theni to Dindigul
- 4-lane Dindigul - Trichy - Tanjore
- 2-Lane roads there on.
- Tanjore - Velankanni is : Tanjore - Mannagudi - Thiruthiraipoondi-Velankanni. Dont got via Nedamangalam.

Quote:
Can someone update the condition of the road through Kothamangalam-Rajakkad-Pooppara-Bodi-Theni? From what I recall, this is a narrow deserted stretch?
Dont know about this section as of how is it today.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 08:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone update the condition of the road through Kothamangalam-Rajakkad-Pooppara-Bodi-Theni?
I did this route on my way back from Kodai. The only bad stretch is between Adimali and Kallarkutty (8kms). From Kallarkutty till Pooppara it is rough surface but no issues. From Pooppara it is a bliss to drive. From Pooppara to Bodimettu the road is a bit narrow, so be careful of moronic local jeep drivers and bikers.

Alternatively you can go via Munnar, a bit longer but good roads all the way. Also if it is a weekend or holiday, expect heavy rush at Munnar.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 13:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
I did this route on my way back from Kodai. The only bad stretch is between Adimali and Kallarkutty (8kms). From Kallarkutty till Pooppara it is rough surface but no issues.
There's another route to get to Rajakkad from Adimali without going through Kallarkutty. You need to go about 5-6 kms towards Munnar and take a right turn towards Anachal/Kunchithanni (Route marked as "Munnar bypass" on Google Maps). Last time I travelled via Rajakkad (which was a couple of years ago), some locals in Adimali suggested that I take this route instead of the one via Kallarkutty-Vellathooval because the Kallarkutty road was bad. The roads were quite OK on that route except that there are some real steep stretches in some places and some bus traffic (But the bus drivers in these regions are generally very courteous and will even back off some distance to find a way for you to pass if the stretch is narrow - I guess they realize that it is in their interest also or else traffic can come to a standstill !)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 04:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Planning again to go to Velankanni in this week. Traveling with toddler and looking for a smooth and fast travel. Planning to start by evening from Muvattupuzha such that we can reach Velankanni in the early morning. By afternoon, we may leave Velankanni to Muvattupuzha. Any road condition updates, please share.

I have this route in mind: Muvattupuzha-Mannoothy-Wadakkancherry-Pollachi-Trichy-Thanjavoor-Mannargudi-Thiruthuraipundi-Velankanni.

Gmaps: https://goo.gl/pKbeSj

Is this route correct? Any new roads to bypass Trichy and other cities. Also, as per this thread the Thanjavoor-Needamangalam route is to be avoided for Thiruthuraipoondi route.

Always wanted to try the Muvattupuzha-Kothamangalam-Adimaly-Kallarkutty-Rajakkad-Pooppara-Bodi-Theni-Dindigul-Trichy route, but I think it is risky traveling at night in the highranges narrow roads and deserted stretches. Anyone recently travelled through this route? Any inputs.
Old 8th May 2017, 07:32   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have this route in mind: Muvattupuzha-Mannoothy-Wadakkancherry-Pollachi-Trichy-Thanjavoor-Mannargudi-Thiruthuraipundi-Velankanni.
Is this route correct? Any new roads to bypass Trichy and other cities. Also, as per this thread the Thanjavoor-Needamangalam route is to be avoided for Thiruthuraipoondi route.
Quote:
Always wanted to try the Muvattupuzha-Kothamangalam-Adimaly-Kallarkutty-Rajakkad-Pooppara-Bodi-Theni-Dindigul-Trichy route, but I think it is risky traveling at night in the highranges narrow roads and deserted stretches.
Very well thought out. Even I was about to add the same comment. Theni option may not be good for the night drives. Also if you see the difference in distance is hardly 40 km as shown by Google.

But also note:
- Nemmara/Kollengode section is also narrow. Hence take care. The Kollengode exit is a tricky one. The best landmark is the mangalam bridge after which you exit out. (I think you may have to get on to the service prior to the bridge. I remember NPV posting about it long back. Please check)
- Night drive means no break points for food.
- Even many of the bunks on the 2-lane may be closed. Hence please plan accordingly.
- I think you should carry a GPS with you. Else with 2-lanes pretty much all the way, it may get difficult to route.
Old 8th May 2017, 09:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Very well thought out. Even I was about to add the same comment. Theni option may not be good for the night drives. Also if you see the difference in distance is hardly 40 km as shown by Google.
Yes. Especially after a recent video surfacing about a van attacked by Elephant near Munnar. I'm afraid, this Pooppara-Bodimettu corridor will be no more safe for drivers like us who aren't acclimatized with wildlife and narrow highrange roads especially while taking a long distance trip.

Quote:
But also note:
- Nemmara/Kollengode section is also narrow. Hence take care. The Kollengode exit is a tricky one. The best landmark is the mangalam bridge after which you exit out. (I think you may have to get on to the service prior to the bridge. I remember NPV posting about it long back. Please check)
Actually, I have travelled couple of times through Thrissur-Wadakkencherry-Pollachi route. Still, is it better to choose Mannuthy-Palakkad-Coimbatore road in terms of good roads and time savings? Gmaps shows it's only 15kms more. I guess you've to take the Coimbatore bypass to join at Trichy road (which starts from Ukkadam?)

Quote:
- Night drive means no break points for food.
- Even many of the bunks on the 2-lane may be closed. Hence please plan accordingly.
- I think you should carry a GPS with you. Else with 2-lanes pretty much all the way, it may get difficult to route.
Actually, we considered night drive assuming from the news that the heat is overbearing in Tamilnadu these days.
Yes. Any info on 24hrs hotels/restaurants in Pollachi-Trichy sector will be great.
Fuel - Will fill from Muvattupuzha, which will be enough?
Old 8th May 2017, 09:43   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually, I have travelled couple of times through Thrissur-Wadakkencherry-Pollachi route.
I dont know which is a better option: Kollengode-Pollachi or Pallakkad-Meenakshipuram-Pollachi. Thats the thought I had.

Quote:
Actually, we considered night drive assuming from the news that the heat is overbearing in Tamilnadu these days.
Thats a good point. But with a powerful AC, wont, a day drive be the same? And you have the comfort of hotels? (Just a counter thought)

Quote:
Yes. Any info on 24hrs hotels/restaurants in Pollachi-Trichy sector will be great.
No idea on this one! Usually some roadside hotels should be good. But I really dont know on this one.

Quote:
Should be. City bunks may be closed. I still think some 2-lane bunks may still be open. You can also use one of these good bunks for breaks.
Old 8th May 2017, 13:21   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Download BPCL's SmartDrive App, it gives complete details of BPCL fuel outlets and other useful info.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 13:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any new roads to bypass Trichy and other cities
Yes lots of bypasses with most of them semi marked. Meaning, one has to watch out for signboards at junctions to look for bypass. Trichy has bypass as of 6-May. Both the routes looks good to me, personally I would avoid tolls these days & prefer SH, only in TN. Drive safe
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks