Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2009, 22:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Muvattupuzha(kochin) to Velankanni-route enquiry:

Hello ,
I am thinking of going to Velankanni in a month's time.I would like to know the route from Muvattupuzha,Kerala to Velankanni.I am having doubt about the tamilnadu stretches which are confusing;although I have travelled to Velankanni many times.
Which is the best route?
Muvattupuzha-Chalakudy-Mannoothy bypass-Wadakkanchery-Pollachi-Pazhani-Oddanchatram-dindigul-tiruchirappally-thanjavur-needamangalam-Vailankanni.ANy Other Thoughts?(No ,I think I won't try via munnar-theni-dindigal-trichy route Isn't it takes extra 2 hours time?)

below is what I made out from google maps.Please show the proper route.
GoogleMapLink <--via dindigul

Google Map <--via Karur
Also ,how is the Condition of Wadakkanchery to Pollachi road?Your Suggestions.

Last edited by deepclutch : 26th July 2009 at 22:51.
Old 27th July 2009, 00:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Routes are both correct.

I suppose the Wadakancherry route goes via Koduvayur and Kollengode.

The road to Pollachi is normally good.

Roads from Pollachi to Dindigul via Palani are also good.

Dindigul-Manaparai-Trichy has some bad sections. Instead, you can go directly to Thanjavur via Melur and Pudukottai without touching Trichy.

Thanjavur-Nagapattinam road is also normally good.

For you maybe the Munnar route is the best, although you may not like mountain driving in the rains. You also have teh option of going from Theni to Madurai (instead of Dindigul) via Andipatti and then reach Nagapattinam via Pudukottai.
Old 27th July 2009, 00:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the info sir.I will be using my Indica for the travel most probably.
What about pollachi-karur road to connect to trichy?Is it not preferred as it is not a NH?Anyone knows the condition of pollachi-karur road via dharapuram?Is it normal 2 lane roads in acceptable condition?
I know as a matter ,I too will prefer NH.still

--
Hill Driving is not an issue(hopefully) for me since I have done few trips to Munnar as well as to Idukki-Kattappana before.But the Issue I believe is ,the time taken will be much more even if kilometres is less via NH49.also the departure time will be in the evening most probably and I think NH49 is closed somewhere to the TN Border(Bodi)?If ever I will consider NH49 ,Which is the connection route from Theni to Dindigul?Is it Theni-periyakulam-dindigul ?
Old 27th July 2009, 01:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Pollachi-Dharapuram-Karur is also a good option to get to Trichy, and not a bad road, except that I think the Karur-Musiri-Trichy road is preferred.

I agree, for night driving, I would steer clear of NH49, especially since the Munnar-Poopara-Bodi Medu section is a congested elephant corridor. I am unsure that the road is closed at night, no other road leading to Munnar is (I have driven Udumalaipet-Maraiyoor-Munnar in mid-night without any restrictions although that route also has lots of elephants). If at all, the Bodi-Poopara-Munnar road may be closed at Bodi Medu, but I have not seen an equivalent CP barrier in the Munnar side.

Yes, going via Vathalagundu and Periakulam is the best way to get to Dindigul. Road is good, but watch out for lots of human traffic during day - at nights, this road will be totally deserted.
Old 27th July 2009, 07:15   #5
rippergeo

Did travel on bodi-poopara-munnar section in jan 2009.time was roughly around 1AM. it was not closed.

Old 13th February 2010, 11:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

@hvkumar sir : Unfortunately I failed to travel as pre-planned.Is Planning to do Vailankanni this time.
Planned route is the normal : Muvattupuzha-Mannoothy-Vadakkanchery-Nemmara-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Karur-Musiri-Trichy-Thanjavoor-Needamangalam-Vailankanni

Want to Know From Which Junction need to turn for Musiri(I assume a Bridge is there) when coming from Karur?
in Maps:
Muvattupuzha, Kerala to Velankanni, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

Any Particularly bad stretches to Look For?In Google Maps ,I cannot link through NH67 to Thanjavoor from Trichy?Which Route to take from Trichy to Thanjavoor?
See:
Trichy - Chennai Trunk Rd to Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

Any Other Route Suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 13th February 2010, 12:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

You will have to cross over the Cauvery at a place called Kulithalai. Thats the only major bridge at Kulithalai so its not easy to miss. The road from Trichy to Thanjavur is through BHEL, Thuvakudi, Vallam. I think you would reach the byepass straight from Musiri side, suggest you stick the byepass and take the deviation to Thanjavur rather than go through the city.
Old 13th February 2010, 13:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
@hvkumar sir : Unfortunately I failed to travel as pre-planned.Is Planning to do Vailankanni this time.
Planned route is the normal : Muvattupuzha-Mannoothy-Vadakkanchery-Nemmara-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Karur-Musiri-Trichy-Thanjavoor-Needamangalam-Vailankanni

Want to Know From Which Junction need to turn for Musiri(I assume a Bridge is there) when coming from Karur?
in Maps:
Any Particularly bad stretches to Look For?In Google Maps ,I cannot link through NH67 to Thanjavoor from Trichy?Which Route to take from Trichy to Thanjavoor?[/url]

Any Other Route Suggestions?

Thanks.
Based on experience of a friend who travelled from Bombay to Tiruvarur (just before Velankanni) last week, I have one suggestion to re-route.

The road from Karur to Trichy (NH67) is in a bad shape. Go off NH7 at Namakkal itself (before Karur), and take the SH to Musiri and Trichy, road good all the way. Namakkal town has one entry point from NH7, take it and go through town to what is known as the Trichy road there.
Old 13th February 2010, 16:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

@hvkumar sir:I think going via Namakkal is a little longer if Coming From Kerala?.Google Maps Shows 580kms or So from My town.

But ,If I go via Regular Route(The Tourist Buses take this Route) ,ie ,Pollachi-Pazhani-Odanchatram-Vedasandram(?)-Trichy-Thuvakudi-Vallam-Thanjavur-Needamangalam-Velankanni(<550kms) - ?How is this Route ,Road Conditions?If Karur side Roads are not in Good Condition ,I think going via above route is better?
Old 13th February 2010, 17:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Since you are going from Muvattupuzha, why don't you go via Kumili, Madurai and Pudukottai to Thanjavur and onward to Velankanni instead of Pollachi and Trichy?

Good roads, and I think may be the shortest although I have not done a comparative.

Route is as follows:
Muvattupuzha-Thodupuzha 20-Palai-Kanjirapalli 55-Mundakayam 15-Kumili 55-Kambam 22-Theni 40-Usilampatti 40-Madurai 35-take Viralimalai road-Melur 25-turn right-Tirupattur 33-Pudukottai 75-Thanjavur 32-Needamangalam 30-Thiruvarur 30-Nagapattinam 25-Velankanni 10, totalling 540 kms

Last edited by hvkumar : 13th February 2010 at 17:50.
Old 13th February 2010, 17:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
@hvkumar sir:I think going via Namakkal is a little longer if Coming From Kerala?.Google Maps Shows 580kms or So from My town.

But ,If I go via Regular Route(The Tourist Buses take this Route) ,ie ,Pollachi-Pazhani-Odanchatram-Vedasandram(?)-Trichy-Thuvakudi-Vallam-Thanjavur-Needamangalam-Velankanni(<550kms) - ?How is this Route ,Road Conditions?If Karur side Roads are not in Good Condition ,I think going via above route is better?
I am not sure of the route from Odanchatram to Trichy via Vedasandram, but the rest of the route is good roads. Bear in mind that thanks to road widening, NH67 between Trichy and Thanjavur is in a bit of a mess.
Old 13th February 2010, 19:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Since you are going from Muvattupuzha, why don't you go via Kumili, Madurai and Pudukottai to Thanjavur and onward to Velankanni instead of Pollachi and Trichy?
The last time I went to Thanjavur, I did take the Kumily route. I follwed MapMyIndia navigator and as usual I am not sure which route I took, but it was not Madurai route.

Last year, Trichy - Thanjavur was in a real mess and I had a touch time since it was already dark.

Quote:
Thiruvarur 30-Nagapattinam 25-Velankanni 10, totalling 540 kms
Sir, shouldn't his turnoff to Velankanni be before he actually enters Nagapattinam?
Old 13th February 2010, 19:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Sir, shouldn't his turnoff to Velankanni be before he actually enters Nagapattinam?
Yes. Just before. Turn right for Velankanni, left for Nagapattinam.
Old 14th February 2010, 02:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure of the route from Odanchatram to Trichy via Vedasandram, but the rest of the route is good roads. Bear in mind that thanks to road widening, NH67 between Trichy and Thanjavur is in a bit of a mess.
I asked to a Relative and He suggests to stick with this route.since We wanted to reach via the fastest route and less risky route.
Our Plan is to drive Early Morning to Reach Velankanni before 5-6PM.I think This Route is the Fastest in This Regard and I have Done till Trichy many times(Albeit few years back).
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
The last time I went to Thanjavur, I did take the Kumily route. I follwed MapMyIndia navigator and as usual I am not sure which route I took, but it was not Madurai route.

Last year, Trichy - Thanjavur was in a real mess and I had a touch time since it was already dark.

My Plan is to Return somewhere 12PM from Velankanni.That makes it Sure that I cannot take the Highrange route since it is too Risky.

If the route is via Kambam-Theni, then the better route for Us is via Thodupuzha-Idukki-Kambammett Route.(Google Maps shows 472kms or So to Velankanni via this route from Muvattupuzha.If it is via Adimaly ,will come some 10-15kms lower)The Only Issue is the Risky 15kms Hair Pins from Kambam Mettu to Kambam.

Check this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1683860
Old 17th February 2010, 02:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Urgent Updates needed:

Hello ,
As Per This thread,the Roads from Dindigul to Trichy is not in Good Shape.So,Is it Better I try the Pollachi-Dharapuram-Karur-Trichy Route Comparatively better Roads ?

I am confused ,Since I've to drive through night and want to choose safer,better roads and the trip is this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
Hi All,

We had a nice road trip last weekend.

Route - Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Kodaikanal-Madurai-Trichy-Chennai.

The trip log will be posted in travelogue, i just want to post here that route from Chennai to Trichy on NH45 is complete, its a superb 4 lane road all the way through. There are 3 Tolls and one is getting added near to Trichy.

Once you reach Trichy bypass, bridge construction and road widening is at heavy pace and crossing this 3-4 KM stretch will take 30 mins.

From Trichy to Dindigul - Road widening work is progress and rest of the road is not at all good.

From Dindigul bypass to Vatlagundu to Kodai - road is pretty.

On return we took the straight road from Vatlagundu to Madurai- this road is superb and scenic. Madurai to Melur is god but time consuming.

Once you are back on 4 lane road from Melur, its superb and straight to Trichy, cross bypass and all the way to Chennai is a breeze.

Keep revvin.
Sri

Thanks,
DC

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks