Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 14:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
kateri dam, but I suppose most civilians are not allowed inside the premises of the dam and its guarded by the DSSC chaps. I ofcourse had full access since my dad used to be incharge of the damn around 10-12 years ago. Ofcourse the upper katery damn is accessible to general public and the lower katery dam you can still have access but from the other side where the pump house is situated, or from the road running along the dam. Have you been on top of the guard station of service building at the enterance of the dam. Boy the scenery from above is just simply amazing. I used to be put up at the old british cordite bungalow down the road. We used to catch fish at the dam and rush down to our house and put them in the small fountain pond . But most of them dont survive cause the hooks do a lot of damage to the fishes . And fishing from the boat was just something altogether. But the bigger ones were always caught standing by the banks. The size of the fishes has reduced now maybe because of the pollution or too much of fishing but 10 to 12 years back we used to catch 2-3 kg fishes easily, but when i went last year i could manage only very small ones nothing really big after a whole 2 days of fishing.
Where there is a bill, there is a way.
Old 30th July 2009, 14:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

have you seen the relevant thread on BCMtouring? It already captures all you want and more
Old 30th July 2009, 14:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Yes. This is exactly the one, I was talking about. Thanks!

As I said earlier, I am not sure if it can generate enough heat to cook enough noodles for an adult.
Old 30th July 2009, 14:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

Frankly speaking, I think you are needlessly worried about the cylinder bursting. ADC travels with a full fledged home cooking cylinder and oven !!!
Old 30th July 2009, 15:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
The most prefered stove used by truckers in India. They use diesel as the fuel.
Thats a kerosene stove and its a juggad when its being used with diesel, and yeah it does have the potential to smoke out the demos in you at times..

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmania View Post
Check this link PKL Ltd. - Products - LPG Cylinders & LPG based appliances

The Portable Gas Stove, Clix Plus Stove, 4 Kg. Cylinders might be of interest to you.

I had bought the Portable Gas Light around 10 years back (for Rs.1000/- if my memory serves right). These are usually available in the stainless steel houseware shops. You can exchange the empty cylinder at any of these shops. You can cook a regular meal instead of Maggi!

Hope this helps.
CLIX doubles up as a hurricane lantern also when required , and as a cooking stove , this is my choice when we go tripping.. the small size and extremely rigid gas chamber makes it very safe.I believe you will be able to rent this out also for your trip.
Old 30th July 2009, 16:08   #36
Team-BHP Support

Clix looks good. Have to find clix dealers in Noida now
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer,

You can get kerosene in urban villages like Nithri or in Harijan Basti in Sec 37 Noida without Ration Card ( at a premium of course). LPG cyllinders are also available but idout if they are ISI marked. Single burner gas chullahs are available at all Indane/HPCL/BPCl LPG agencies. Take a full cyllinder as you need to heat a lot more in the High altitude low pressure areas. Remove the regulator from the cyllinders to prevent any chance of gas leakage when travelling. I believe your Elephant has more than enough space.

BTW would you be with friends or will it be tou and the better half?
Old 3rd August 2009, 17:40   #38
BHPian

You can try the folding stove which allows you to attach a small LPG cylinder. I forget the brand but the stove though a bit expensive should be available in good trekking shops - try Adventure 18 (in Delhi). The cylinder can be picked up at the location rather than being transported. If you are going to Leh, the small cylinders are available there.

Hope this helps.
Old 27th August 2009, 08:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

hey here is something i found out yesterday at one of the Fairs in trivandrum , they also ship out these stoves , best part is no smoke and u can use firewood. No more risk of carrying LPG . and they dont cost a bomb

B-1100 Benefits | Envirofit :: India
Old 30th August 2009, 03:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
We have a tiny foldable device (can't call it a stove, but it claims itself to be one), which we have used in the past to heat up milk made from milk powder. Fuel for this, is a camphor like solid material.

I am not sure if it can generate enough heat to cook enough amount of noodles for an adult, but you can experiment with it at home beforehand.
Actually it is not camphor but paraffin wax tablet , used all over the world by backpackers / mountaineers . You can burn camphor as well but don't know if that would give enough heat.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:46   #41
BHPian

A backpacking stove may help

We use Brunton Backpacking Stoves or Coleman Fold-N-Go stoves while hiking, trekking & fishing , they are fueled by isobutene/propane canisters. A wide variety of cook tops (burners) are also available for the Brunton stove.. These are specially made for traveling and are available at most trekking, mountaineering stores. Or you could order them from Cabelas or Basspro.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
We use Brunton Backpacking Stoves or Coleman Fold-N-Go stoves while hiking, trekking & fishing , they are fueled by isobutene/propane canisters. A wide variety of cook tops (burners) are also available for the Brunton stove.. These are specially made for traveling and are available at most trekking, mountaineering stores. Or you could order them from Cabelas or Basspro.
Is it very different then the small 2 Kg LPG gas cylinder commonly available other then in size ?

LPG = Propane / butane I think ?
Old 18th May 2010, 17:36   #43
Team-BHP Support

for those not in the know, I borrowed a small 3kg gas cylinder from a friend. Used it a couple of times though. This is India, and the most amazing thing about India is that in the remotest corner you will find somebody making maggi. So unless you are going where there is no human habitation, you can skip the cylinder!
Old 20th May 2010, 11:40   #44
BHPian

How About a Car Fridge

Another alternative you can consider is buying a Fridge. It keeps food well preserved.

You will need this to preserve the food only as long as you are in the plains. Once you get to your destination which will, in all probability, be somewhere high into the Himalayas and you won't need any kind of freezing device.

The best part is, this device can also heat-up the food for you. All you would need to do is change the temparature settings. We had used this to carry baby food on a recent trip and it was just perfect. 'Daliya' was in perfect condition for 48 hours untill the baby finished it.

This can also operate on the 220V AC current you get at home/hotels/lodges/dharamshalas.

To get the best out of this car fridge, make sure you cool down your food stuff in your home refrigerator before putting it in the car fridge.

No worries of fire hazzards, winds, torrential rains.

This is what it looks like:
Cooking in the wilderness, what kind of stove?-car-fridge.jpg

Costed Rs 8,300/-
My wife bought it from a store in Gurgaon. let me know if you need their contact details.
Old 20th May 2010, 12:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

One more option once I saw on Discovery channel was to use your engine bloack for cooking after wrapping in Aluminum foil this method was used for frying eggs but I think can be easily used for heating Cup noodles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks