Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2014, 17:04   #676
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Air Algerie flight AH5017 disappears from radar over North Africa EDIT : Crashed!

What's up with this air travel? It's the 4th one in a row. Read in another report from Times that it's a DC-9. This has to be among the worst years for aviation in history.
Old 24th July 2014, 17:54   #677
BHPian

re: Air Algerie flight AH5017 disappears from radar over North Africa EDIT : Crashed!

It has crashed near Niamey, Niger, most probably due to bad weather.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/breaking-ai...eather-1458125

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/st...69614827442177

Last edited by prateekm : 24th July 2014 at 17:57.
Old 25th July 2014, 05:16   #678
Team-BHP Support

The Reuters article quoted in the first post now indicates the plane has crashed! Sad!
Old 25th July 2014, 06:19   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

As usual, the aviation Herald tends to have what seems to be the most factual data to report:

http://avherald.com/h?article=477c75de&opt=0

Very sad.

Jeroen
Old 25th July 2014, 10:49   #680
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the third plane crash in a week's time. Surprisingly, not much in the news. In fact, according to an international aircraft accidents body, the passenger plane crashes in 2014 has resulted in double the number of fatalities over all aviation fatalities in 2013. 991 lives lost in 2014 in just 7 months against the total of 459 in 2013.

More here: http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/2014-pla...2013-1.1929984

EDIT: Now this is bizzare. Air India's dream with Dreamliners is turning into nightmares. Second time in the week, its door wouldn't lock. I think that another major tragedy has been averted by the alert crew of this Dreamliner. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/38986949.cms

Last edited by saket77 : 25th July 2014 at 11:00.
Old 13th August 2014, 07:53   #681
BANNED

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Is Delhi domestic and international airport different?
Someone has already tickets which are already booked from Europe to Delhi. If new tickets have to be booked from Delhi to another City in India - how many hours gap is it safe to keep between the two flights. Person is not an Indian. Customs, Immigration etc have to be done.

Considering that the international & domestic flights aren't booked in the same PNR, it will not be considered a connecting flight. Hence what's the mode of travel from international to domestic terminal?
Old 13th August 2014, 08:26   #682
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is Delhi domestic and international airport different?
No & Yes , there are 2 terminals in Delhi - T3 ( newer one ) which handles both domestic & international & erstwhile T1 which is primarily used by LCC for domestic operations

Quote:
Someone has already tickets which are already booked from Europe to Delhi.
International flight will land in T3

Quote:
If new tickets have to be booked from Delhi to another City in India
If connecting tickets are not booked in one PNR then one has to be little safer & keep enough margins in delay / transfer etc . Everyone has to clear customs & collect luggage irrespective of forward connections at first port of landing which will be Delhi in your case . It will again depend on airline your guest is using for Europe- Delhi & Delhi - Indian sector , if they are on same alliance like Star or One world then most of time it will be easier to make changes in case of delay or early arrivals irrespective of PNR's , this also depends on mileage status as airlines do such changes free of charge for high flying customers . Air India is now member of Star Alliance

Quote:
what's the mode of travel from international to domestic terminal?
If forward connection is on any of full airlines like Jet , Air India then there won't be need to go outside terminal . After picking baggage they can simply follow signs of Connecting Flights within India . However if onward flights are on any LCC like Indigo , Spice or GoAir then they must come out - take complimentary shuttles for which they need to get pass from a dedicated booth outside the gate after showing both tickets or take a Taxi . Shuttles normally operate on interval of 15 minutes whereas Taxi's are available in plenty. factor approximately 15-20 Minutes for transfer by Taxi . So depending on which airline your guests book finally recommended safe transit time will vary - if they remain in T3 - 1,5-2 hours will be safe whereas if they have to change terminal maybe 2-1/2 hours .

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th August 2014 at 08:41.
Old 13th August 2014, 08:46   #683
BANNED

Thanks a lot, Turbanator. London to Delhi is British Airways but it's booked from abroad. Now the connecting flight is being booked in India. Do you what airline is preferable to make sure everything is as smooth as possible?

Another thing is that is there any hotel/freshen up facilities in the Airport - in case we arrange a longer gap (i.e. 5-6 hours) for the person to rest.
Old 13th August 2014, 10:22   #684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Thanks a lot, Turbanator. London to Delhi is British Airways but it's booked from abroad. Now the connecting flight is being booked in India. Do you what airline is preferable to make sure everything is as smooth as possible?

Another thing is that is there any hotel/freshen up facilities in the Airport - in case we arrange a longer gap (i.e. 5-6 hours) for the person to rest.
As Turbanator mentioned, your best bet would be to book either Air India or Jet Airways. Only these 2 use T3 for domestic flights. Others operate from 1D.

There is a transit hotel but don't have much details. Maybe you could call up the airport helpline to check.
Old 13th August 2014, 10:27   #685
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Yes, T3 has a lounge which is about 1500 INR for half day I think. Rates may have been revised though.

Immigration + baggage and customs usually takes 2 hours max. So I would recommend a 3 hours gap if flight is from T3 and 4 hours gap if its from T2.

Indigo, Spicejet and Jet airways all three have decent track record. What time is the flight arriving, and to what destination is the onward flight. If you can provide this answer, we can guide you better
Old 13th August 2014, 12:12   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Someone has already tickets which are already booked from Europe to Delhi. If new tickets have to be booked from Delhi to another City in India
Be careful of weight limits for checked-in luggage when you book the domestic flight separately. Most international flights from Europe allow 1 piece of checked-in baggage of 23kg. Most domestic flight allow only 1 piece of checked-in baggage of 15kg. If the weight exceeds 15kg, the domestic carrier may charge extra when the person checks in.
Old 13th August 2014, 12:38   #687
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
London to Delhi is British Airways but it's booked from abroad. Now the connecting flight is being booked in India.
Prefer Jet or AI , BA can thorough check in to end destination in India from London for Jet & most likely for AI as well even if on different PNR , does not matter from where booking is done . However they will need to collect the bags in Delhi and drop off at Jet or AI counter .

They can book on hourly basis at

http://newdelhiairport.eatonhotels.com/

Or if they have more time , there are many new hotels just near to Airport

Quote:
Immigration + baggage and customs usually takes 2 hours max. So I would recommend a 3 hours gap if flight is from T3 and 4 hours gap if its from T2.
Will depend on time of arrival as there are many flights in night but less in early mornings , either way if next flight is from T3 - 2-1/2 hour will be enough . Immigration guys are pretty efficient these days and there are hardly any checks while passing customs .

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th August 2014 at 12:43.
Old 8th September 2014, 02:15   #688
BHPian

Any one travelled on Luftansa recently with long transit at Frankfurt?

I would be travelling mexico to Pune via Houston and Frankfurt.

Transit layover at Houston about 10 hrs and at Frankfurt 20 hrs.

Since my US visa status is for crew only, I would be restricted at the airport. Nor do I have shengen visa. In this case will Luftansa be able to provide a hotel stay. Or are there any hotels inside airport in Frankfurt?

Rgds.
Old 17th September 2014, 14:24   #689
BHPian

Travel Agent Fraud, Help !

One of my friend Booked a trip to Malaysia in the month of March to travel on 27th of August from SmilesNmiles Tours, Link to there website is http://www.smilesnmilestours.com

Person named Mahesh was the contact person to whom 50k was Paid as advance and remaining Amount to be paid in the month of August during the Visa processing was agreed. This person was in constant touch till 2nd week of August and use to update on everything and when the date was nearing he switched off his phone and stopped responding to the mails and was absconding.

September first week after constant emails and threatening that we will file an FIR this person responded in second week saying He had some health issues and Doctor has advised not to use the phone and asked for the Acc No to return the money and My friend gave him a week's time to do so.

Week passed and still no response when emailed and threatened him again he promised to deposit the money in 4 working days which has been completed today and my friend has not heard anything from him yet.

My friend has the Email chain from the Day 1 and an Invoice copy of the amount which he has paid.

Can anyone suggest what action can be taken so that my friend gets his Money back ?

Thanks

Last edited by Sportygellar : 17th September 2014 at 14:26.
Old 17th September 2014, 14:36   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Very unfortunate, Sportygellar. Am moving your post to this popular thread since it has a higher chance of being spotted by frequent travelers who may be able to help better.

Have you tried reaching out to the company directly? Link

You must surely be having a receipt for the 50,000 your friend paid? Please approach the travel agent management with the full details and proof- am sure this matter can be easily resolved. Alterbatively there is no harm is seeking legal counsel and approaching the police to report this, if you suspect a fraud.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks