Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2014, 08:07   #721
BHPian

Finally made it! It took me an hour after landing to go thru all rituals and arrive at the gate. However the flight was delayed by an hour. So made it comfortably
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:28   #722
BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

Good luck and be confident.
Time to be a Super-Dad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Bangalore to Kochi is local - the flying heights are much lower, and hence, take-off & landing are quicker, so he won't really have a hard time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
Yes. Get the baby to sip a little water. The "swallowing" action stabilizes the pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Diapers and wipes.
I prefer the diaper pants for my son as they are easier to put on.

A spare set of clothes for both the kid and yourself. Just in case he throws up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
8. Hand sanitiser
9. Common medicines for the baby
10. Phone numbers of pediatrician

No
Thanks all for the inputs! Did the trip with my son with Indigo towards Kochi and Air Asia back to Bangalore.
The Indigo was in the evening at 750pm, so we went to the Airport by Bus. Once inside the plane and after take-off, my son wanted to start walking, so once the seat belt signs were off, I let him and followed. Held him during slight turbulence and then when Seat belt signs came back on, I returned with him to the seat. He was calm throughout.

The return flight though was another thing. The flight was at 11pm, so he was sleepy. To top it off, he was irritated from 3 days of not seeing his mother. At the waiting lounge he started running around waving and babbling at people. I let him run around, thinking he would tire himself out, making it easier for him to sleep. All was fine, until I had to change his nappy. Kochi airport does not have a changing room!! I had to remove his nappy, wash him in one of the stalls and then wipe him off. He was squirming all the while, which meant that I got some on my shirt as well. So I let him play on the washbasin, while I changed my shirt too. The running around continued after this. The call for boarding the flight came and he was showing no sign of sleepiness. I had to hold him, while he wriggled around tried to get out of my grasp. Thank God nobody thought I was kidnapping him. On the plane, he was struggling again and I had to scold him properly for which he started crying. The ladies seated next me, distracted him for a while. 10 minutes into the flight he slept off. Phew!! He woke up only the next day morning.

One thing more that I learned is to pack light. The combined weight and unwieldiness of the backpack was troublesome for me. Anyway, quite an experience!
Old 27th December 2014, 10:26   #723
BHPian

I am travelling tomorrow 28 Dec from Jaipur to Nairobi with a stop at Abu Dhabi. Both the flights are operated by Etihad Airways. Due to the fog, the Jaipur to Abu Dhabi flight has been rescheduled & will now depart 9 hours later and Etihad people have put me on the Nairobi flight next morning i.e. 29 Dec. So my 2 hour stop has now become a 16 hour stop.
I called Etihad at Jaipur Airport (the India helpline number is not answering), asked them if accommodation and food will be provided by Etihad at Abu Dhabi. The guy told me that it will be provided but, for some reason, he didn't sound convincing to me.
Is it a general practice to provide these in such a case? Or i will have to fight for these? I would like to hear from you guys.
Old 11th January 2015, 18:17   #724
BHPian

Guys, Had a quick query on travelling with an Infant. My Daughter will be 13 months when she takes her first flight. We are planning a holiday up north and will be taking a flight from Bombay to Chandigarh with a flying time of approx 2 hours 15 minutes.

My Questions are ::
1. How to secure the infant with the seat belt while taking off/ landing or when the seat belt sign is on ? Do we make her sit on our lap and then fasten the seat belt ?

2. Do the airlines provide any extra help for Infants ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 11th January 2015, 18:37   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Guys, Had a quick query on travelling with an Infant. My Daughter will be 13 months when she takes her first flight. We are planning a holiday up north and will be taking a flight from Bombay to Chandigarh with a flying time of approx 2 hours 15 minutes.

1. How to secure the infant with the seat belt while taking off/ landing or when the seat belt sign is on ? Do we make her sit on our lap and then fasten the seat belt ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
All airlines provide an infant seatbelt on request. Also they are helpful if you have an infant. Try taking the first row seat as it has extra legroom and you would be more comfortable with the kid.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
amansanc
Old 11th January 2015, 20:03   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post

Regards
Dieseltuned
No. Your seat belt does not fasten her. They'll provide an extension that connects to your seat belt.

I once flew from Hyd to Del with my 4 month old son. I was told that we should feed him during landing and take off.
Old 18th March 2015, 13:45   #727
BHPian

Short Transit time @ CCU on DIB BLR 6E. Challenges any ?

Short Transit time @ CCU on DIB BLR 6E. Challenges any ?

Hi,

Have booked flight on 6E from DIB to BLR at goindigo.com

Indigo gives me only one combination of the flight

6E - 202 : DIB Departure 11:15, CCU Arrival 12 : 55

6E - 434 : CCU Departure 1400, BLR Arrival 1630 hours

Now, as you can see, layover in CCU is only 1 hr 5 mins.

Will it be possible to change the flights within the said time ? Need your guidance, since family is travelling for the first time.

Talking to the customer care at goindigo, they said that we could get boarding passes for both the flights at DIB and the luggage will be through checked till BLR. According to Customer care, after deboarding at CCU, there will be a transit area from where we could go to 6E 434 without the security check.

I am concerned if my old parents will be able to make this out and catch the next flight.

Any CCU members who might shed the layout of the arrival and departure at CCU ?

Any guidance might be of great help in here.
Old 18th March 2015, 16:09   #728
Senior - BHPian

Re: Short Transit time @ CCU on DIB BLR 6E. Challenges any ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Talking to the customer care at goindigo, they said that we could get boarding passes for both the flights at DIB and the luggage will be through checked till BLR. According to Customer care, after deboarding at CCU, there will be a transit area from where we could go to 6E 434 without the security check.
With these four pieces falling into place: (a) through check-in of baggage, (b) onward boarding passes issued at Dibrugarh itself, (c) airline is 6E which generally doesn't get delayed and (d) transit airport in not Mumbai you needn't worry too much - an hour is ample. It has been a while since I've been to Kolkata and I understand they've since rebuilt the terminal building there, but I expect transit access is still a breeze.

6E's ground assistance is exemplary too.
Old 18th March 2015, 16:30   #729
Team-BHP Support

Re: Short Transit time @ CCU on DIB BLR 6E. Challenges any ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
.....6E's ground assistance is exemplary too.
+1. Indigo is almost never late and the ground staff is very helpful, unlike the 'leading' carrier.

Quote:
.....Any guidance might be of great help in here.
An hour for domestic transfer is sufficient except at a chaotic (Mumbai) or very large airport (Delhi T3), or in case you need to change terminals (extremely rare if it's the same carrier). Don't hesitate to ask for help (esp. if you're with elderly parents) and you should do fine.

Tip: Try to minimize cabin luggage as much as possible (helps avoid fatigue/inconvenience in case you need to rush a bit), and request seats closer to the exit to save a few precious moments for the changeover.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th March 2015 at 16:35.
Old 18th March 2015, 18:54   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am concerned if my old parents will be able to make this out and catch the next flight.

Any CCU members who might shed the layout of the arrival and departure at CCU ?

Any guidance might be of great help in here.
I traveled from GAU to BLR via CCU in Nov 2014 on Indigo. From what I remember, you need to go through security again when you transit in CCU. The transit area at CCU will lead to the check-in area after which you will have to pass through security to reach the departure area. Please reconfirm this again with Indigo customer care. Although I had approx 4hrs layover, I think 1hr should be fine for transit. CCU is a nice modern airport and it is easy to get around.
Old 18th March 2015, 18:57   #731
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,

I have a connecting flight from Amsterdam Schiphol airport.

Would be spending nearly 5 hours in the airport for my onwards flight to Delhi.

Is there any restaurants (pocket friendly) in the airport?

Are their any resting couches or something (other than the expensive lounges ofcourse).

Any tips in general - for spending time at this huge airport?

Last edited by DCEite : 18th March 2015 at 19:03.
Old 18th March 2015, 19:27   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Hello guys,

I have a connecting flight from Amsterdam Schiphol airport.

Would be spending nearly 5 hours in the airport for my onwards flight to Delhi.

Is there any restaurants (pocket friendly) in the airport?

Are their any resting couches or something (other than the expensive lounges ofcourse).

Any tips in general - for spending time at this huge airport?
Food options on the airport are on expensive side. In Dutch restaurants generally food portions are small. A small sandwich with chicken and lettuce will cost around €4. Cesar salad with chicken around €13. I would recommend sticking to Burger King, as the burgers such as whopper are relatively big and filling.

For water, no need to buy a bottle instead just fill from tap.

Lounges with wifi to sit do exist, just follow the directions.

Shopping options are many but on the expensive side. Don't buy liquor or tobacco from there, as on Delhi airport in duty free shops it will be cheaper.

Just walk through the airport to pass time, its pretty interesting place.
Old 18th March 2015, 19:41   #733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I traveled from GAU to BLR via CCU in Nov 2014 on Indigo. From what I remember, you need to go through security again when you transit in CCU. The transit area at CCU will lead to the check-in area after which you will have to pass through security to reach the departure area. Please reconfirm this again with Indigo customer care. Although I had approx 4hrs layover, I think 1hr should be fine for transit. CCU is a nice modern airport and it is easy to get around.
Security checks are mandatory at each terminal you pass through in a journey, and are independent of the carrier. Most small airports just have in-transit passengers redirect to the common security check area, while International airports sometimes have a smaller, separate security check area for in-transit passengers (I remember London Heathrow has one for changeovers).
Old 18th March 2015, 20:39   #734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Food options on the airport are on expensive side. In Dutch restaurants generally food portions are small. A small sandwich with chicken and lettuce will cost around €4. Cesar salad with chicken around €13. I would recommend sticking to Burger King, as the burgers such as whopper are relatively big and filling.

For water, no need to buy a bottle instead just fill from tap.

Lounges with wifi to sit do exist, just follow the directions.

Shopping options are many but on the expensive side. Don't buy liquor or tobacco from there, as on Delhi airport in duty free shops it will be cheaper.

Just walk through the airport to pass time, its pretty interesting place.

I find the duty free at Schiphol better priced then at Delhi these days. Depends perhaps what you are looking for, for me mainly a few specific single malts.

Jeroen
Old 18th March 2015, 22:03   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
From what I remember, you need to go through security again when you transit in CCU.
This is true for all airports in India and elsewhere; not just CCU.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks