Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2013, 14:07   #46
BHPian

Re: NH25 Kanpur-Lucknow in a mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Vipin; Thanks for the update. Lko-CNB is not half as bad as CNB-Lko. Also, as for CNB-Jhansi two queries - byepass of Orai and is the section near Ait done. It was a culvert under construction and a pain.
Yes, you are correct: Lucknow - Kanpur is far better than Kanpur - Lucknow. Same is the case with Kanpur - Jhansi also. It is more uneven on the Jhansi - Kanpur line. Even the roads at tolls were horrible, with potholes. I asked one toll-fellow what kind of condition they maintain. At least, under their own nose they can get it filled.

The Orai bypass is complete and is in excellent condition.

And there was no culvert work I came across. The only problem was after you cross Yamuna at Kalpi.

You have to depend on truckers' dhabas only enroute.

I will post a couple of pictures later.

Vipin.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 16:03   #47
BHPian

Dear All,

Please do let me know if travelling by road from Kanpur to Lucknow in Morning (leaving Kanpur at 4 am) would be safe and advisable. The issue is that I have a flight to catch at 6:45 am from Lucknow airport and travelling to Lucknow a day before is not possible due to commitments in Kanpur in evening till late.

PS: I have never been to any of these places earlier.

Thanks a lot in Advance!

Best Regards,
rahulk2510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 16:42   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Please do let me know if travelling by road from Kanpur to Lucknow in Morning (leaving Kanpur at 4 am) would be safe
There is no issue from safety point of view. I have traveled on this road quite a lot and mostly at odd hours. The only issue I can foresee is of Fog. It would be better to book a taxi since local drivers knows the geography quite well
sparkguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 14:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

Please do let me know if travelling by road from Kanpur to Lucknow in Morning (leaving Kanpur at 4 am) would be safe and advisable. The issue is that I have a flight to catch at 6:45 am from Lucknow airport and travelling to Lucknow a day before is not possible due to commitments in Kanpur in evening till late. ,
You are cutting it a bit fine. Budget two hours for the road (assuming no fog) so I will start more like 3:30 at the latest.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 10:48   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

Please do let me know if travelling by road from Kanpur to Lucknow in Morning (leaving Kanpur at 4 am) would be safe and advisable. The issue is that I have a flight to catch at 6:45 am from Lucknow airport and travelling to Lucknow a day before is not possible due to commitments in Kanpur in evening till late.

PS: I have never been to any of these places earlier.

Thanks a lot in Advance!

Best Regards,
I would agree with SGIITK sir as leaving Kanpur at 4:00 am will be slightly risky for flight

There are two major bottlenecks in the route. One is leaving Kanpur borders and other is railway crossing at Unnao region. As you are leaving early morning traffic at Kanpur borders will not be a issue but there is a chance that you may find railway crossing closed in morning. Planning that i case I think 3:30am will be on a safer side.
<Badguy> is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 18:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Barrage road now usable

I had occasion to drive to Lucknow yesterday. I was advised that I could take the Barrage (as yet not opened officially). I took the route, it is a very good option from those from the Eastern Side (IIT, NSI, Azad Nagar, etc). coming from the Kannauj side on NH91 you turbn left at the Gurdev Crossing and take the Zoo Road. Continue straight and you see signposting for the Barrage and then Gangotri scheme. The last 1.5 km before the barrage is passable but not totally done. This route knocks about 15km and 30 minutes plus as you do not go through the city. It is a very decent road after the barrage and joins NH25 at the Achalganj Crossing. Onnly one minor railway crossing is in there. You just follow the road until you hit NH25. On the way back it is signposted as Gangotri scheme. I will be a bit cautious and not take this after sunset.

The rest of the highway (NH25) is going from bad to worse.
Old 11th August 2014, 09:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

Took the Barrage route both ways - the entry from NH25 is 7km from the Unnao-Raibareli road crossing, right next to the VSGOI campus. I am told the raute isa now safe at all times, but will still avoid it after, say. 10:00pm. The route from Lucknow side takes you across the old NH25 and then a railway crossing (Kanpur-Lucknow). That I am told can be a pain, and a four lane flyover is planned.

Unnao is now a real pain, badly rutted road bboth at the track crossing as well as in town in Unnao. The track flyover is a few months from completion. One the NH25 Kanpur-Lucknow is far worse than the return, heavily loaded Coarse Sand Trucks (they return empty) or older road or both.
Old 27th August 2014, 15:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

After a campaign by the Jagran it appears that one side of the Unnon ROB has been opened (Lucknow-Kanpur) from 6:00am to 7:00pm for cars. Kanpur-Lucknow is expected by 5 September. So far railings have not been installed hence the time limitations. I am planning to use it tomorrow so will report back.

Also, Jagran is campaigning to get the surface repaired. Articles every day.
Old 28th August 2014, 19:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Did Kanpur-Lucknow Cantt - Kanpur (via Amausi) today. The distance reduction is about 8km each way, but saves at least 25 minutes. Some minor repairs on the barrage approach at Kanpur, but being dug up for pipes just before the barrage road.

The ROB seems to be working somewhat. Going to Lucknow I saw a whole lot of cars coming the old way, and virtually no trafficn on the ROB. Coming back I figures it our, some jokers insist on going on tht ROB the wrong way, forcing a lot of traffic to use the railway crossing. There was a chowlidar who was berating a couple of vehicles coming the wrong. I indicated to him, which way to go, and he indicated the ROB, so I took it. Saves a lot of time and aggro.
Old 30th October 2014, 08:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

The ROB has been close for over a fortnight and also one small culvert is damaged. Many people are now preferring to go via Unnao, taking a left turn just pass the railway track on the Barrage route.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:50   #56
BHPian

Quote:
The ROB has been close for over a fortnight and also one small culvert is damaged. Many people are now preferring to go via Unnao, taking a left turn just pass the railway track on the Barrage route.
Prof,

What news of Agra - Lucknow Expressway?
Old 30th October 2014, 12:20   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
What news of Agra - Lucknow Expressway?
Please see my latest post in that thread. MOUs signed, contracts awarded, bhoomi poojan on 22nd November.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...t-track-2.html

and fingers (and toes) crossed!
Old 31st October 2014, 09:36   #58
Senior - BHPian

Now they claim to have fixed the overbridge, and are awaiting the green light from NHAI and the local authorities. Heavy vehicles will not be allowed. Also, no news about the broken culvert. Most roads in UP get damaged by grossly (3x or more) overloaded sand trucks (Maurang). Why can these not be checked and stopped, or are the local mafiosi that powerful?
Old 31st October 2014, 12:17   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most roads in UP get damaged by grossly (3x or more) overloaded sand trucks (Maurang). Why can these not be checked and stopped, or are the local mafiosi that powerful?
... or why can't PWD construct these culverts considering the the loads of overloaded trucks in the structural design? They need to find a solution to this issue instead of mass producing the sign 'puliya kamzor hai, kripaya dheere chale/ week bridge, drive slow'.
Old 31st October 2014, 18:00   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
... or why can't PWD construct these culverts considering the the loads of overloaded trucks in the structural design? They need to find a solution to this issue instead of mass producing the sign 'puliya kamzor hai, kripaya dheere chale/ week bridge, drive slow'.
Designing for 40 tons axle load is very expensive. Also, these monsters damage roads. Just a couple of days back there was a failure (for the 3rd time) of the bridge at Hamirpur. All expert committees said overloaded trucks are the cause. Now the lase allows the vehicle loads to be checked and if needed the vehicles impounded or forced to unload. But then who will take on the sand mafia with 200% political protection.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks