Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2016, 15:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Madurai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Thank you. 7 hours from Silk Board seems reasonable then.
Old 14th June 2016, 21:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Thank you. 7 hours from Silk Board seems reasonable then.
Yes with breaks. Infact, with just one break you can easily do it in lesser time with your Duster. Roads are almost traffic free after Namakkal all the way till you cross Dindigul/Samayanallur.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 21:56   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I need to head onwards to kutrallam from Bangalore. Do I go via madurai on the highway? How much longer? Do I stick to the same highway?
Old 14th June 2016, 22:01   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I need to head onwards to kutrallam from Bangalore. Do I go via madurai on the highway? How much longer? Do I stick to the same highway?
Be on NH7 till Thirumangalam. Take the exit to Sriviliputtur. Its about 140km. Ravi should know more about the road conditions.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 11:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

@Red Liner, you can take a look at this thread for more details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ourtallam.html

The last we heard was the road conditions was not great but that was back in January. Due to TN election, i am guessing they would have relaid the roads or atleast patched it, so you can still go in NH208.

Not just that, since your destination is Kutralam, there is no benefit taking a detour via NH7 till Tirunelveli or even Sivakasi. So i suggest stick to NH208 itself as the driving time will be same. Let us know how the current road conditions are.

-Ravi
Old 15th June 2016, 14:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stick to NH208. No need to go via Madurai. NH7 neatly bypasses Madurai from Samayanallur to Kappalur.

Timing is critical, I wouldn't drive NH208 after sundown. Roads are good, its the traffic that sucked in the evening. I was doing an average of 30 kmph between Tenkasi and Srivilliputtur.

Detours won't add any value. I've driven Srivilliputtur-Sivakasi-Virudhunagar once, roads are good but has innumerable unmarked speed breakers (thanks to reckless Madurai-Sivakasi private buses).
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 20:59   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok folks, so it's nh7 upto thirumangalam. Then after the thiru toll, stick to the left and watch for the signboard that's the nh208 to courtallam. Hope I got this right.
Old 18th June 2016, 18:45   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, so here is the uodate:

The roads are patchy at best on NH 208. No unmarked speed breakers... No breakers at all. But you can't do over 70 in the day. And absolutely best avoided at night!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2016, 19:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so here is the uodate:

The roads are patchy at best on NH 208. No unmarked speed breakers... No breakers at all. But you can't do over 70 in the day. And absolutely best avoided at night!
Thanks for the update. As expected it was at least patched. The nature of this road is usually like that. Its best avoided in night. Also the trucks will normally drive in center of the road (to avoid their load hitting tree branches) leaving less space for opposite side vehicles or even the same side vehicles to overtake. Should be careful and honk a lot to overtake those trucks.

-Ravi
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:20   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello guys,

I need to head towards Alwarkurichi which I see is near Madurai. What is the best route from Madurai to Alwarkurichi? I will be starting from Bangalore.

And thereafter from Alwarkurichi to Kutralam?

I will be on my motorbike.
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:43   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And thereafter from Alwarkurichi to Kutralam?
Looking at the map, the best to me looks like go all the way till Tirunelveli. Get into the town and then head to Alwarkurichi.

Courtallam is then the regular NH to Tenkasi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 13:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need to head towards Alwarkurichi which I see is near Madurai. What is the best route from Madurai to Alwarkurichi? I will be starting from Bangalore.
It is between Tirunelveli and Ambasamudram. Depending on the time you might cross Tirunelveli, I'd suggest between:

a. Bangalore-Kovilpatti-Kalugumalai-Sankarankoil-Puliyangudi-Tenkasi-Ambasamudram-Alwarkurichi
b. Bangalore-Tirunelveli-Alwarkurichi (as ampere suggested).

The former diversion forks out of NH7 at Kovilpatti bypass, so it completely avoids Kovilpatti town as well.

On the latter, as an added bonus of going through the town, you can get Tirunelveli's famous iruttu kadai halwa Its opposite Nellayappar Temple.

Note that the shop opens only between 1700 and 1830 (that too if stocks last that long).

Banatheertham, close to your destination is worth a visit.
Old 3rd January 2017, 14:11   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Looking at the map, the best to me looks like go all the way till Tirunelveli. Get into the town and then head to Alwarkurichi.

Courtallam is then the regular NH to Tenkasi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
It is between Tirunelveli and Ambasamudram. Depending on the time you might cross Tirunelveli, I'd suggest between:

a. Bangalore-Kovilpatti-Kalugumalai-Sankarankoil-Puliyangudi-Tenkasi-Ambasamudram-Alwarkurichi
b. Bangalore-Tirunelveli-Alwarkurichi (as ampere suggested).

The former diversion forks out of NH7 at Kovilpatti bypass, so it completely avoids Kovilpatti town as well.

On the latter, as an added bonus of going through the town, you can get Tirunelveli's famous iruttu kadai halwa Its opposite Nellayappar Temple.

Note that the shop opens only between 1700 and 1830 (that too if stocks last that long).

Banatheertham, close to your destination is worth a visit.
Thank you both! If I leave at 5.30 AM in the morning, what time do you reckon I will reach Tirunelveli? Therefore, which route do you finally recommend?

I am not keen on stopping for halwa etc. I would rather make it straight to my destination (however enticing the halwa is!

HVK suggests the following route: Continue on NH7 & at the end of Tirunelveli BP, TURN RIGHT towards Tenkasi. Go via Ambasamudram to Alwarkurichi.

I am riding a biggish motorcycle, so would like to avoid little messy towns en-route.

Will look into Banatheertham on the net. Many thanks folks!

Last edited by Red Liner : 3rd January 2017 at 14:14.
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what time do you reckon I will reach Tirunelveli?
Approximately 1430-1500. Tirunelveli isn't as bad as Madurai, traffic even at 1800 was manageable in a car. You can take Tirunelveli onward and explore the Kalugumalai route on return. The Kalugumalai-Sankarankoil route was good enough for doing 60-70, is a typical 2 lane.
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:47   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Approximately 1430-1500. Tirunelveli isn't as bad as Madurai, traffic even at 1800 was manageable in a car. You can take Tirunelveli onward and explore the Kalugumalai route on return. The Kalugumalai-Sankarankoil route was good enough for doing 60-70, is a typical 2 lane.
My return is unplanned. I might venture onward to Trivandrum from Kutralam and then head back to Bangalore.

So, should I do Tirunelveli or Kalugumalai-sankarankoil onward?

I definitely do not want to explore how bad the roads are If it's scenic beauty you are talking about, bring it on.

I think I am veering towards the route suggested by you and HVK (Kalugumalai/ambasamudram etc). Amp...next time man haha.

Last edited by Red Liner : 3rd January 2017 at 15:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks