Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2017, 20:54   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Madurai - Bangalore : Route Queries

I think I made a mistake in the post above. The route suggested by HVK closely matches what Amp suggested earlier on (Tirunelveli-Ambasamudram-Alwarkurichi), and I think I will stick to that.
Old 8th January 2017, 17:26   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Route update. Initially Google maps screwed me over and had me take the earlier right via madurai Road through tirunelveli Town. I back tracked and went further down the highway, and took the last right as suggested. Just as I entered the outskirts of the town, Google maps again suggested a left diversion through quaint country roads. This time I decided to take it in consultation with a local, and I completely bypassed tirunelveli town and connected behind back onto the tenkasi road. Departed bangalore at 5.30 am and reached alwakurichi at 3pm. Awesome roads all along. Thank you sirs!
Old 27th March 2017, 21:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Madurai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Guys,

Planning for a Bangalore - Madurai - Rameswaram - Bangalore drive with friends during one of the coming weekends.

Start Friday 06 PM (Marathahalli)
Back Home Sunday 11 PM

May reach Madurai at about early morning. Refresh, temple visit and head to Rameswaram post lunch. Halt at Rameswaram. Next day about noon, start back.

Is this do-able? Will it be too hectic. We do not mind driving continuously. Any quick itinerary that you can suggest, and also the route option?

While going - Via Dindigul - Madurai ?
While return - Rameswaram - Karaikudi - Trichy ?
Will these routes be a good option? Or stick to the first one both ways?
Old 27th March 2017, 22:24   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Guys,

Planning for a Bangalore - Madurai - Rameswaram - Bangalore drive with friends during one of the coming weekends.

Start Friday 06 PM (Marathahalli)
Back Home Sunday 11 PM

May reach Madurai at about early morning. Refresh, temple visit and head to Rameswaram post lunch. Halt at Rameswaram. Next day about noon, start back.

Is this do-able? Will it be too hectic. We do not mind driving continuously. Any quick itinerary that you can suggest, and also the route option?

While going - Via Dindigul - Madurai ?
While return - Rameswaram - Karaikudi - Trichy ?
Will these routes be a good option? Or stick to the first one both ways?
Definitely this will be hectic due to distance, but since you said you don't mind driving continuously, this is doable, but not recommended in normal circumstances considering the safety.

I recently did same trip during Republic day holidays.

Bangalore-Madurai is standard NH7 : Bangalore-Salem-Karur-Dindugal-Madurai.
Madurai-Paramakudi-Ramnad-Rameswaram => construction and road widening work is going on between Paramakudi to Ramanathapuram. Most part is done but not advisable to drive after dark. Otherwise, this is the fastest route. So for return journey also, don't consider returning via Karaikudi-Trichy. Though the roads are good, but they are slow and time consuming. So stick to same route both ways.

What was your plan in Rameswaram? Temple visit or going to Dhanushkodi? It was not clear from your post on your plans on sunday morning. If it is temple visit, you can comfortably do it and leave Rameswaram post lunch. If it is Dhaunshkodi visit, then very tight schedule.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 23:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Bangalore-Madurai is standard NH7 : Bangalore-Salem-Karur-Dindugal-Madurai.
So stick to same route both ways.

What was your plan in Rameswaram? Temple visit or going to Dhanushkodi? It was not clear from your post on your plans on sunday morning.

-Ravi
Planning to start at 6pm and estimating to reach Madurai by 2AM. Resting at the hotel till about 7am. Temple visit, hanging around, and heading to Rameswaram just after lunch. Are there some photo spots enroute Rameswaram, and also at Pamban bridge? Halting at Rameswaram, and next day to temple, and if time permits, to Dhanushkodi. How much extra time will it take if we have to visit Dhanushkodi and can we visit there in our car itself? Will need to start right after lunch to reach Bangalore by midnight. Okay, will stick to the same route both ways.
Old 27th March 2017, 23:25   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Planning to start at 6pm and estimating to reach Madurai by 2AM. Resting at the hotel till about 7am. Temple visit, hanging around, and heading to Rameswaram just after lunch. Are there some photo spots enroute Rameswaram, and also at Pamban bridge? Halting at Rameswaram, and next day to temple, and if time permits, to Dhanushkodi. How much extra time will it take if we have to visit Dhanushkodi and can we visit there in our car itself? Will need to start right after lunch to reach Bangalore by midnight. Okay, will stick to the same route both ways.
If you leave bangalore at 6 pm on a friday night, given the high volume traffic, exiting Bangalore city and crossing hosur itself will easily take 2 hours roughly, depending on from where you stay in Bangalore. But you should be able to reach Madurai by 2 am to 3 am with dinner break.

BTW, Don't miss the famous Jigarthanda drink in Madurai. Its summer season now, and its even more good to have that drink.

In Rameswaram, yes, Pamban bridge is a good photo spot, but please note that it is a no-parking zone on the bridge (Though people violate the rules normally). I suggest you cross the pamban bridge and immediately there is some place to park on the left side. You can park your car safely there and walk back towards bridge for amazing views and photos.

After Pamban bridge, in 2 to 3 kms distance, there is a place called "villoondhi theertham" which is a drive of 1 km from main road. It is also a nice clean spot and beautiful place for pictures and also has religious significance.

For Dhanushkodi, you need easily half a day. You can't take your car all the way. Only till tar roads are there, you can drive and then you need to hire a 4WD Jeep. Better to hire the jeep from Rameswaram itself for up & down and go to Dhanushkodi, if you plan for it and have time. But since you have to reach bangalore by sunday mid night, i don't think you have sufficient time in hand. You may just have to touch and go if at all you drive fast in your car till the point where our cars are motorable. Better reserve it for your next trip, because sunday/weekend mornings temple darshan will take more time due to crowds.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 19:53   #52

How is the road from Bangalore to Madurai? If I leave in off peak traffic time what is the expected travel time (I will be driving Ertiga).
Old 30th March 2017, 20:15   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsgetz View Post
How is the road from Bangalore to Madurai? If I leave in off peak traffic time what is the expected travel time (I will be driving Ertiga).
The road is good. But the peak traffic part is all between:

- Bangalore-Krishnagiri
- Thoppur toll
- Crossing Salem
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 20:45   #54
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsgetz View Post
Road is excellent, NH 7 all the way. If you start off peak hours say 4-5am, you can expect to be in Madurai by 10-11am with a 30 minute break en route.
The early start will also allow you to escape rush hour traffic in Salem that starts around 8:30am.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 21:08   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Road is excellent, NH 7 all the way. If you start off peak hours say 4-5am, you can expect to be in Madurai by 10-11am with a 30 minute break en route.
The early start will also allow you to escape rush hour traffic in Salem that starts around 8:30am.
Spot on NPV as usual. There are massive variations in timings due to traffic and toll booths.

For example, I have done this route fastest in 6 hours (North BLR - Madurai CBD) with a 4 a.m. start and slowest in 9 hours (Madurai - North BLR) with a idiotic start at 10 a.m. Sunday guaranteeing terrible jams at toll booths and insane traffic into BLR.

One tip is to get FASTag if possible. On my recent 6 hour trip, I breezed through every booth (except Omalur) and saved easily 30-45 minutes :-)
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 23:03   #56
BHPian

I am doing Hyderabad-Madurai-Kodaikanal-Valaprai-Athirappilly Water Falls-Bangalore-Hyderabad from 29th April to 7th May. Will be starting from Hyderabad around 6 PM on 29th and reach Bangalore by 2 AM and will continue till Madurai with family. I have few questions:
  1. Is Bangalore-Madurai safe during these hours to drive ?
  2. Is this route fast tagged ?
  3. Any special precautions to be taken during this trip as I will be travelling with 6 year and 3 year old kids ?
Google maps shows the return route as Thrissur-Palakkad-Avinashi-Erode-Salem-Bangalore. How is this route ? I will be doing this during day time.
Old 18th April 2017, 08:18   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHopper View Post
Will be starting from Hyderabad around 6 PM on 29th and reach Bangalore by 2 AM and will continue till Madurai with family. I have few questions:
  1. Is Bangalore-Madurai safe during these hours to drive ?
  2. Is this route fast tagged ?

Yes, this route is active 24*7 and you have fastag enabled till Madurai. And Mcdonalds at shoolagiri is open 24 hours, this is around 60Kms from Bangalore. You have a HP fuel station along with it as well.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 09:08   #58
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

No problem with onward route for Bangalore-Madurai - 6 laned roads between Bangalore-Krishnagiri and then 4 laned roads upto Madurai, entire stretch in great condition. There is a 2Km diversion in Salem for flyover construction work, so better to time your drive well and avoid driving thru Salem between 8:30-11am.
Fastag should help you save time as well unless there are crazy holiday crowds.

Quote:
Google maps shows the return route as Thrissur-Palakkad-Avinashi-Erode-Salem-Bangalore. How is this route ? I will be doing this during day time.
For the return journey from Athirapally falls to Bangalore - you can reach NH 47 near Chalakudy quickly from Athirapally falls and you don't actually go into Thrissur, it is Thrissur bypass. Again, roads are good on the Chalakudy-Palakkad stretch (but some work in progress sections between Thrissur bypass and Vadakkenchery, not recommended for night driving, day time is fine.

So you could do Chalakudy-Palakkad-Coimbatore (Palakkad and Coimbatore cities bypassed)-Salem-Bangalore.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 18th April 2017 at 11:24. Reason: typo
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 20:41   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Yes, this route is active 24*7 and you have fastag enabled till Madurai. And Mcdonalds at shoolagiri is open 24 hours, this is around 60Kms from Bangalore. You have a HP fuel station along with it as well.
Thank you arun_josie. I will make a note of McD and fuel station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For the return journey from Athirapally falls to Bangalore - you can reach NH 47 near Chalakudy quickly from Athirapally falls and you don't actually go into Thrissur, it is Thrissur bypass. Again, roads are good on the Chalakudy-Palakkad stretch (but some work in progress sections between Thrissur bypass and Vadakkenchery, not recommended for night driving, day time is fine.

So you could do Chalakudy-Palakkad-Coimbatore (Palakkad and Coimbatore cities bypassed)-Salem-Bangalore.
Thank you NPV for the route and recommendations.
Old 18th April 2017, 20:56   #60
BHPian

Quote:
I am doing Hyderabad-Madurai-Kodaikanal-Valaprai-Athirappilly Water Falls-Bangalore-Hyderabad from 29th April to 7th May.
I did Bangalore - Kodai last Saturday. Started at 5:30 am. Had the breakfast at Sai Annapoorna Veg, after Selam by around 9:00 am. This comes (on the left side) around 21 kms after the Omalur Toll Plaza. Great food and restrooms. You may be passing this hotel early morning and I am not sure when it opens in the morning. But there are no good restaurants beyond this till Dindigul, unless you enter into Karur or Namakkal towns.

Maps location of Sai Annapoorna Veg:
https://goo.gl/maps/X3dJ9PtrFAR2
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks