Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2010, 18:35   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
NH12 through Bundi to Kota is not in good shape currently, and one is unsure how it is further down. Currently, Bhopal-Nagpur is also in a bad shape. Nagpur-Bangalore is OK, but still very challenging.
hvk ji, I'll cancel the one night extra halt at Bikaner (D6) and split the drive from Bundi to Nagpur in 2 days. Does this look doable?

D6: Bikaner - Jodhpur
D7: Jodhpur - Bundi
D8: Bundi - Bhopal
D9: Bhopal - Nagpur
D10:Nagpur - Bangalore

I haven't travelled north of HYD on NH7. Is it 4 lane between Nagpur and HYD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Have you been to Udaipur?
Thanks for the suggestion, sudevji. Yes, I've been to Udaipur and other cities in Rajasthan during my 10 yrs stay in Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I did not understand the logic of the sectors from D3 to D7. Jodhpur is just 300 kms away from Jaisalmer. IMO, you should do Mumbai - Udaipur, Udaipur - Jodhpur, Jodhpur - Jaisalmer, Jaisalmer- Biakner, Bikaner - Bundi - Nagpur.
I have only 10 days time and I want to use it to visit primarily Jaisalmer and Bikaner so I want to skip Udaipur. Don't want to retrace my steps on NH4 for the return journey as I would also like to explore NH7 north of HYD. Nothing can beat the thrill of driving on a road for the first time. For me driving north of HYD on NH7 would be a first and am really looking forward to it.

Last edited by canonguy : 26th September 2010 at 18:38.
Old 26th September 2010, 19:01   #77
Senior - BHPian

Let me clarify:
From Bundi, if you come down to Kota, you can get onto NH76 which is also the East-West Corridor - and a fantastic road till Shivpuri, where you will meet NH3. My worry was about NH3 from Shivpuri to Biaora via Guna, which breaks up during the rains (nor sure of its present condition). You could easily do Bhopal-Nagpur in half a day despite not-so-good roads. Therefore, you can target either Adilabad or Nirmal that day or even more so that the last day to Bangalore becomes easier.

NH7 north of Hyderabad is fantastic, mostly 4-laned except for some sections in the Adilabad-Pandharkawada (MH).
Old 26th September 2010, 22:52   #78
BHPian

Kumar Saab thanks a lot for the guidance. Could you pls suggest some hotel(s) on the highway at Adilabad or Nirmal for a night halt?
Old 26th September 2010, 23:40   #79
Senior - BHPian

Adilabad - Hotel Ravi Teja, also one more hotel opposite Ravi Teja called Laxmi Palace
Nirmal - Sree Krishna Regency

For both hotels, you will have to go into town, but they are on the same road that you go (till the bypass was built recently, the hotels were on the highway itself).
Old 27th September 2010, 11:36   #80
BHPian

Kumar Saab, thank you so much for all the help!
Old 27th September 2010, 12:23   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonguy View Post

Keeping above in mind, I feel if I leave BLR at 200 am I should be able to reach Mumbai by 4-430 pm with an hour's break at Pune
this is assuming you dont get stuck in traffic from Panvel to Andheri,else Panvel to Andheri can take around 3hours in worst case scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonguy View Post
Now, I have absolutely no prior experience of driving this stretch (BOM-Jaisalmer) and I understand from the experiences of fellow bhpians that there is heavy traffic between Mumbai and Ahmedabad and thereafter one can make good progress. So, if I start from Andheri at 330 am will it be possible to beat this traffic and reach Jaisalmer by 830 pm including a 1 or 1.5 hrs stoppage time on the way? This would mean an average of 66 kph. Is this realistic or too ambitious for the road conditions on this stretch?

All inputs are appreciated. Thanks.
We just did the HYD-BOM-AMD-J'MER-JDP-JAI-AJMER-UDP-BOM-SHIRDI-HYD circuit and just wanted to share my comments.

Roads out of Mumbai on NH8 are in very pitiable condition at the moment.Mumbai-Vapi is fully potholed and could take you anywhere between 3-3.5hrs of drive in the darkness(early morning).A 330am start should let you reach AMD by 2pm at the latest(with a lunch break,traffic is very dense between Surat & Vadodara,and the jam at Ankleshwar Narmada bridge).You would be on the Mehsana road latest by 3-30pm,from there the drive to Jaisalmer would take you 9-10hours,which would mean you would reach J'mer only by 1am.Definitely not reccomended on this route,as the NH15 is one of the most isolated stretches of highways in the country and I dont think anybody would actually want to drive on this road after 6 in the evening,except for the strong hearted!!!

Break journey at Ahmedabad and start early from AMD to Jaisalmer,this would be a wise thing to do as the NH15 from Tharad via Barmer to Jaisalmer is absoultely isolated,you would be lucky to spot a few camels for company!!But brilliant road and arrow straight,fuel available at Sanchore and then at Barmer.The only place to stop to eat is just before you enter Barmer-a place called Good Hall opp a new BP Pump.

The route you would need to take is AMD-Mehsana-Palanpur-Deesa-Tharad-Sanchore-Barmer-Jaisalmer.

Feel free to pm me in case you need any more info.Safe driving!
Old 27th September 2010, 20:49   #82
BHPian

Thanks ranjitp1 for the detailed response. Much appreciated.

Since I'm planning this trip around Christmas, will wait and watch and gather info on the road conditions around that time. Will pm you closer to my scheduled departure date for more info.

Thanks once again!
Old 1st October 2010, 23:42   #83
BHPian

Calling guys who have travelled Mumbai-Jaisalmer for help.

From Ahmedabad which is the more scenic and fun-to-drive route? (By fun-to-drive I mean smooth, well-marked road where good speed can be maintained. It may not necessarily be a four lane road)

a) Ahemedabad-Kalol-Mehsana-Dhanera-Sachore, or
b) Ahemedabad-Sanand-Viramgam-Dasada-Radhanpur-Bhabhar-Tharad-Sanchore

When one enters Mumbai and Jaisalmer in Google Maps, it suggests route "b".

Pls do give your inputs.
Old 1st October 2010, 23:45   #84
Senior - BHPian

I have been on both the routes. The best sections are in the Sanchore-Barmer-Jaisalmer sections, so it does not really matter. Route a) is much more faster. In case you are looking to go tour the Rann of Kutch (off Viramgam or Dhrangadhara), maybe you will find Route b) attractive.
Old 1st October 2010, 23:51   #85
BHPian

Kumar Saab, thanks for the advice. I'll take route 'a'.
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:59   #86
Senior - BHPian

I guess you are not travelling immediately,if you are then the route via Dhanera is very bad at the moment,so you would have to go from Deesa to Tharad and then join NH15 at Tharad and turn right towards Sanchore/Barmer..Best option is to ask at Deesa about road condns.There is no road at Sanchore for a distance of approx 6kms,would take you half an hour to cross that stretch!!Huge craeters!!
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:30   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
There is no road at Sanchore for a distance of approx 6kms,would take you half an hour to cross that stretch!!Huge craeters!!
I seriously hope this stretch is done up by 25 Dec when I'm there else I'll just have to make allowance for this and carry on. Thanks for the update.
Old 10th October 2010, 13:23   #88
BHPian

Based on feedback I understand that Bangalore - Bundi via Hyderabad, Nagpur, Bhopal, Guna (in two days) would be more strenuous than Bangalore - Jaisalmer via Mumbai (in two days).

So, instead of doing Bangalore-Mumbai-Jaisalmer-Bikaner-Jodhpur-Bundi-Betul/Bhimbetka-Hyderabad-Bangalore, I've decided to do this loop counter-clockwise so as to tackle Bangalore-Bundi at the start of the journey when I am fresh. I've also decided to pre-pone my departure by half a day. So instead of leaving on 24 Dec, I now plan to leave by 4 pm on 23 Dec which will allow me to cover Bangalore - Bundi in 2 and a half days.

Revised itenerary:

D0: Bangalore - Hyderabad [560 kms approx] (ETD Bangalore 4 pm ETA Hyderabad around midnight)
D1: Hyderabad - Betul/Bhimbetka [665 kms/814 kms]
D2: Betul/Bhimbetka - Bundi [717 kms/582 kms](via Guna on NH3 and then NH76, based on HVK's inputs on previous post)
D3: Bundi
D4: Bundi - Jodhpur [361 kms] (SH39 upto Beawar via Pander, Shahpura, Bijainagar, Sheopora and NH112 thereon)
D5: Jodhpur - Bikaner [238 kms] (NH65 to Nagaur and then NH89)
D6: Bikaner-Jaisalmer [331 kms] (NH15 via Pokhran)
D7: Jaisalmer
D8: Jaisalmer
D9: Jaisalmer - Mount Abu [408 kms] (NH15 to Sanchore, SH11 to Mandar, Ganesh Rd to Mt Abu)
D10:Mount Abu - Mumbai [734 kms to Andheri] (NH8)
D11:Mumbai - Bangalore [1040 kms Andheri - HSR Layout] (NH4)

Need help on following points:

1. Since I intend to make a night halt in Hyderabad, any hotel suggestions? Nothing fancy, just decent rooms for a 7 hr stop.

2. Also, as I would be reaching Hyderabad around midnight is the by-pass recommended or should I continue right through the city. I have no idea of Hyderabad and would have to rely solely on my SatGuide. Not sure if I would find many people on the roads to guide me at that hour.

3. On D1, assuming a 7 am start, is Betul a better target for the day or Bhimbetka? I've gone through MileCruncher's travelogue and understand MPTDC's Highway Treat is a good option for night halt at Bhimbetka. How about Betul? All my searchs on the net have drawn a blank.

Any other inputs are welcome.
Old 10th October 2010, 20:09   #89
Senior - BHPian

I think it best you reach Bhopal instead of Betul (which has no decent hotels) or Bhimbetka (which has only MPTDC).

To go from Bundi to Jodhpur, I am not sure how good or bad the road you suggest is via Vijainagar. Instead, it is best you go on Nh12 till Deoli and go to Nasirabad and then Beawar. The Deoli-Nasirabad road is being widened and is in reasonably OK condition. Please go on the Pander route only on confirming locally that the road is in good condition.

Another suggestion would be to turn it around a bit, and work on the following route:
Bundi-Deoli-Nasirabad-Ajmer-Nagaur-Bikaner-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Sirohi-Mt Abu.

Going back to your original route, I would go to Mt Abu from Jaisalmer via Barmer, Sanchore, Disa and Palanpur, since the road is outstanding (with a small hiccup in Sanchore town). Refrain from taking the non-arterial small roads of Rajasthan.
Old 10th October 2010, 20:14   #90
Team-BHP Support

@Canonguy, May I ask anything specific about Bundi?

I used to stay in Kota for quite some time and used to frequent Bundi-Kota-Chittor route quite often.

Not that I am aware of the latest conditions, but your query reminded me of old times!
There used to be bus stand in Kota called Bundi bus-stand! Not sure if its still there!

Last edited by ampere : 10th October 2010 at 20:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks