Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 20:50   #106
BHPian

Re: Rajasthan holiday - Route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
@Subbarp
Thank you for the detailed reply. So I should do it as follows:

Day 4 - Visit the fort in the morning. Sand dunes in the evening. Overnight Jaisalmer.
Day 5 - Visit havelis. Jaisalmer to Jodhpur. Visit Kuldhara enroute. Overnight Jodhpur.
Day 6 - Visit Osian. Back to Jodhpur. Overnight Jodhpur.
Day 7 - Visit Mehrangarh fort. Jodhpur to Pushkar. Overnight Pushkar.

Is the above fine? Also can you please shed some light on my query regarding the routes?
Thanks again.
I have skipped some dates/locations about which I do not have the detail.

Day-4: is ok, but why not consider overnight at Sand Dunes?
Day-5: Havelis will take your morning half. Depending on your pace, you would do Jaisalmer to Jodhpur stretch late afternoon in about 6 hours including the visit to Kuldhara.
Day-6: Suggest you do Bishnoi village in the morning half and make the trip to the Osian temple in the 2nd half, so that you are at the temple close to sunset, which is a good time, however reach with adequate light availability if you want daylight for photography. Between, day-6 and 7, you would need to pack in some shopping.

Day-7: You might want to stop over at Chandeleo where there is an old haveli converted into a hotel. This is a few hours enroute from Jodhpur on the route to Ajmer/Pushkar.

Roads are all good except the ones to Osian, so doing the Jodhpur-Osian will have lower stretch of bad road than doing Jaisalmer-Osian, so this part of the plan now looks ok.
Old 2nd December 2012, 19:25   #107
BHPian

Re: Need assistance in planning a Rajasthan tour

@subbarp

So this is how it should be finally,

Day 1 - Delhi to Shekhavati. Overnight at Shekhavati region.
Day 2 - Shekhavati to Bikaner. Overnight at Bikaner.
Day 3 - Visit Junagarh Fort and then Bikaner to Jaisalmer. Overnight Jaisalmer.
Day 4 - Visit the fort in the morning. Sand dunes in the evening. Overnight Sand dunes.
Day 5 - Visit havelis in the first half. In the second half, Jaisalmer to Jodhpur. Visit Kuldhara enroute. Overnight Jodhpur.
Day 6 - Visit Bishnoi village in the first half. Second half Osian temples. Back to Jodhpur. Overnight Jodhpur.
Day 7 - Visit Mehrangarh fort. Jodhpur to Pushkar. Visit Chandeleo. Overnight Pushkar / Chandeleo.
Day 8 - Sarovar lake in Pushkar. Overnight Pushkar.
Day 9 - Pushkar to Ajmer Dargah. Ajmer to Jaipur. Overnight Jaipur.
Day 10 - Depart from Jaipur

@dZired
Thanks for the route info mate. I will consider either Route 1 or Route 3. Route 3 (Delhi -> Bahadurgarh -> Jhajjar -> Charkhi Dadri -> Loharu -> Chirawa -> Jhunjhunu) [200 kms approx] looks the best to me and its the shortest as well. I just hope road conditions are still good.
Old 2nd December 2012, 20:19   #108
BHPian

Few suggestions. If you dont have a major reason to stop in Pushkar, two nights are totally wasted. One day or several hours are enough to see the two major sights - the ghats and the temple (as you're covering Sand Dunes in Jaisalmer anyways).

When coming from Bikaner to Jaisalmer, you may consider taking a small detour and spending overnight in Phalodi in order to visit the village of Khichan next morning and then come to Jaisalmer. The charm and claim to fame of Khichan is in the demoiselle cranes that migrate in large numbers and rest in this nondescript village. Close to ten thousand cranes are in the vicinity each year. Due to the timing of the day when they arrive at the feeding enclosure there's no option but to stay overnight before or start very early in the morning from bikaner (cranes usually land between 8 am and stay till 10 am or so). It's a two hour drive from Bikaner.

I did not see Deshnok temple in your itinerary (in Bikaner). Suppose that's intentional?)

In Jaisalmer, the better option for visiting dunes is to visit Khuri. It's less touristed and the dunes are cleaner.

Shekhawati is a great area if you'd like to explore a lot and visit beautifully painted havelis and take photos but otherwise, it's just a bunch of dusty roads - especially the real charming havelis in navalgarh, mandawa etc are quite hidden. If you do end up there, pick up some 'pedas' from chidawa - an acquired taste (the milk is almost completely reduced to powder through heating) but unique to the region. Otherwise, visit the Poddar haveli musesum and be done with the area.

Also I take it that you're skipping Jaipur / Udaipur / Mount Abu intentionally so no point discussing that.

hope this helps
Vaibhav
vaibhav_a_a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:54   #109
BHPian

@vaibhav_a_a , subbarp

I have made some changes and now I have asked my travel agent for the costing of the following:

1 - Arrival Jaipur by flight at 12:05. Jaipur to Pushkar via Ajmer by car. Overnight Pushkar.
2 - Visit Pushkar lake. Overnight Pushkar.
3 - Pushkar to Jodhpur via Chandeleo by car. Overnight Jodhpur.
4 - Visit Mehrangarh fort, Osian temples. Overnight Jodhpur.
5 - Visit Bishnoi Village. Overnight Jodhpur.
6 - Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by car via Kuldhara. Visit Sand Dunes. Overnight Sand Dunes.
7 - Jaisalmer. Overnight Sand dunes.
8 - Jaisalmer fort. Evening leave for Delhi by train at 16:00 approx. Jaisalmer Delhi express.
9 - Arrival Delhi.

Inclusions required:
1. Taxi / Car - Innova or comfortable vehicle. Diesel at actuals or kilometre basis.
2. 5 Star / 4 Star category good hotels.
3. Airfare
4. Train ticket for Jaisalmer Delhi express. First Ac or Second Ac.

This might cost a bit more but looks more convenient to me and involves less of road travel. I have deliberately kept minimum 2 nights at all places including Pushkar to avoid packing and unpacking every night. I prefer a lazy holiday.

I will not be able to cover Bikaner, Phalodi etc. now. I will keep in mind about the Khuri dunes in Jaisalmer.

Thanks for all your help. Feedback/suggestions always welcome
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:52   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@dZired
Thanks for the route info mate. I will consider either Route 1 or Route 3. Route 3 (Delhi -> Bahadurgarh -> Jhajjar -> Charkhi Dadri -> Loharu -> Chirawa -> Jhunjhunu) [200 kms approx] looks the best to me and its the shortest as well. I just hope road conditions are still good.
A friend recently drove from Jhunjhunu to Charkhi Dadri and told me the roads are in good condition. I am not sure about the Bahadurgarh -> Jhajjar patch though.

Moreover, if you need any help in arranging a taxi from Jaipur, feel free to PM me. There's a company named Viratra Travels. I once took a cab from them and was very impressed by their dedication and service.

Just out of curiosity, why did you erase Jaipur sight-seeing (Amber Fort, etc.) from your itinerary?

Last edited by dZired : 3rd December 2012 at 22:01. Reason: I am in no sense associated with Viratra travels. Mentioned the name just for convenience to fellow bhp-ian.
Old 4th December 2012, 13:49   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
A friend recently drove from Jhunjhunu to Charkhi Dadri and told me the roads are in good condition. I am not sure about the Bahadurgarh -> Jhajjar patch though.

Moreover, if you need any help in arranging a taxi from Jaipur, feel free to PM me. There's a company named Viratra Travels. I once took a cab from them and was very impressed by their dedication and service.

Just out of curiosity, why did you erase Jaipur sight-seeing (Amber Fort, etc.) from your itinerary?
I have been to Jaipur before and seen those places actually. Hence, skipping it.
Old 5th December 2012, 17:40   #112
BHPian

Can somebody give feedback on these hotels in Pushkar and Jaisalmer?

http://www.mirvananatureresort.com/location.html

http://www.anantaindia.in/

Thanks.
Old 5th December 2012, 17:58   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can somebody give feedback on these hotels in Pushkar and Jaisalmer?

http://www.mirvananatureresort.com/location.html

http://www.anantaindia.in/

Thanks.
Sorry no input from me on the above two,you might want to check Tripadvisor (which I am sure you have already done,the Pushkar one has a fair bit of terrible reviews-unfortunately)http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...n.html#REVIEWS

A couple of other options that you could look into as well are,at Jaisalmer if you are not keen on staying in tents-Suryagarh is the best in the region www.suryagarh.com

At Pushkar,if you are ok with driving a bit then Country Inn Suites at Ajmer is the best http://www.countryinns.com/ajmer-hot.../home.Ofcourse its a hotel experience and not a cottaged one.Have a nice trip.
Old 5th December 2012, 18:08   #114
BHPian

They look very upmarket - we drove past mirvana (it's quite far from Jaisalmer actually) last year en-route to Jaisalmer. If you're not looking for very luxurious accommodation, I'd recommend staying inside the fort of Jaisalmer. Sleeping inside a circular space (a turret of the fort converted into a bedroom) is not something you'd experience in many parts of the country. Plus you can walk to the Jain temples and view the sunrise and the sunset from the fort which is a nice experience. Otherwise, check for a resort on Khuri or even Sam sand dunes. There are more resorts on Sam (hence my earlier point about avoiding it - I've heard from someone who found plenty of plastic waste when he was hoping for clean, Sahara like dune). If you would like to stay close to the dunes, Sam has more upmarket accommodation.

Incidentially, I was in Chhattisgarh last year end and I stayed in some rockbottom places in Kondagaon and near Kanger Ghati national park. I ended up compromising on luxury but had great mornings and evenings (for photography). You'd experience something similar if you stay close to the main attractions wherever you're visiting (most notably in Jaisalmer) since your time is limited. It's a very different experience to just wander through the narrow lanes of the fort, take photos and sit where you please than being driven there for an hour or two coming all the way from out of state.

Looking at the Ananta website, Pushkar seems quite palatable (I was going to recommend Udaipur and Chittorgarh or even Mount Abu as a substitute to you earlier but from your posts it seemed you had your heart set on Pushkar).

Sorry, not much useful information but looks good!
Old 31st October 2013, 11:33   #115
BHPian

Quote:
3 - Pushkar to Jodhpur via Chandeleo by car. Overnight Jodhpur.
4 - Visit Mehrangarh fort, Osian temples. Overnight Jodhpur.
5 - Visit Bishnoi Village. Overnight Jodhpur.
6 - Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by car via Kuldhara. Visit Sand Dunes. Overnight Sand Dunes.
7 - Jaisalmer. Overnight Sand dunes.
Hi maverick,
I know your post is a year old, so wondering if you have your trip covered anywhere on the forums here?

Keen to learn of stay 3-4 star options at Jodhpur, Jaisalmer and the overnight tent option.
Old 18th November 2013, 16:27   #116
BHPian

Hi all,

Am planning a road trip through Rajasthan starting next weekend and would appreciate the guidance and advise of the seasoned road warriors on the proposed plan.

I have thought of two options and am laying them out below for the experts to comment on:

Option I:

November 22, 2013 – Mumbai - Ahmedabad [Plan to leave around 4.30 pm from Mumbai]
November 23, 2013 – Ahmedabad - Jaisalmer [Stay overnight at Jaisalmer (desert tents)]
November 24, 2013 – Day at Jaisalmer
November 25, 2013 – Jaisalmer - Jodhpur in morning [Day at Jodhpur]
November 26, 2013 – Spend first half in Jodhpur. Leave for Udaipur post lunch
November 27, 2013 – Day trip to Chittorgarh fort, Haldighati and Ranakpur
November 28, 2013 – Spend first half in Udaipur. Leave for Kumbhalgarh post lunch and stay overnight
November 29, 2013 – Kumbhalgarh – Vadodara
December 30, 2013 – Vadodara - Mumbai

Option II:

November 22, 2013 – Mumbai to Ahmedabad [Plan to leave around 4.30 pm from Mumbai]
November 23, 2013 – Ahmedabad to Jaisalmer [Morning start towards Jaisalmer and stay overnight]
November 24, 2013 – Day at Jaisalmer
November 25, 2013 – Jaisalmer to Jodhpur in morning [Day at Jodhpur]
November 26, 2013 – Spend first half in Jodhpur. Leave for Pushkar after lunch and stay overnight.
November 27, 2013 – Pushkar/Ajmer to Udaipur.
November 27, 2013 – Day trip to Chittorgarh fort, Haldighati and Ranakpur
November 29, 2013 – Udaipur in morning [Leave for Kumbhalgarh post lunch and stay overnight]
November 30, 2013 – Kumbhalgarh – Vadodara
December 1, 2013 – Vadodara - Mumbai

I will be driving in my Civic with my wife and can do maybe one really long stretch if needed. We would prefer to keep the long segments of the drive on the onward journey. This is just so that we don’t end back in Mumbai all washed out.

Please suggest whether the options laid out above are workable and also which of the two is more advisable. I am open to increasing a day or two in the plans above if it is essential.

I would also request the experts to please chip in with the stay options, (preferably havelis or heritage palaces in Udaipur). In other places, my only priorities are a clean room and safe parking for the car, doesn’t have to be fancy and luxurious.

Please also advise on the route options, current road conditions, pit stop options and possible traffic jams. If I have missed out on anything that should be considered, please do let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Arun
Old 14th July 2015, 22:04   #117

Planning a 5 day Rajasthan Roadtrip

Friends,

We are planning for a 5 day Rajasthan Road trip. Looking forward to learning from your experience to enjoy the trip to the fullest.

Need inputs on the following (any other input is also welcome)
1. Is this an interesting itinerary
2. Road conditions
3. Routing
4. Interesting stops on the way which should be experienced etc etc

Background
1. Travelers: Me, wifey, 2 kids (6 & 7 years old) and the doggy
2. Vehicle: the trusty safari
3. Would not like to drive a lot every day and therefore get tired
4. Don't have much leave, so tops 6 days, leaving the last day at home to recoup
5. Planning to shortlist home stays with pet stay option using Airbnb
6. Travel month: Planning during Dushera holidays

Itinerary:

Rajasthan Roadies
Day 1. Ajmer
Delhi to Ajmer (400 KMs)
Start time around 7AM
1st Break at Neemrana / Behror. (Approx 130 km from Delhi)
2nd Break at Jaipur (Approx 130 km from Behror)
Reach Ajmer (Approx 130 Km from Jaipur)
CheckIn and relax
Evening visit to Dargah

Route map: https://goo.gl/W6FD2q

Day 2. Ajmer
Taragarh fort / Nasiyan Jain Mandir
Post Lunch, move to Udaipur (306 Kms from Ajmer. Take NH79 via Bhilwara & Chittorgarh (preferred route as it is 4 Lane Highway)
Route: https://goo.gl/2KVBsQ
Night Stay at Udaipur

Day 3. Udaipur
Sightseeing in Udaipur City Palace then Lake Pichola from Rameshwar Ghat and visit Taj Lake palace
Night Stay

Day 4. Ajmer
Drive back to Ajmer (Start Early NH 79)
Enroute a quick stop at Chittorgarh.
Route map: https://goo.gl/DR91Eq
Reach Ajmer. Fresh up
Visit Pushkar & Brahma Temple (18Kms from Ajmer on NH 89)
Route map: https://goo.gl/P1rbyO

Day 5. Delhi
Start early and Drive back to Delhi
Route map: https://goo.gl/ZXhg1O

Eagerly await your inputs and help

Thanks
Anshul
Old 15th July 2015, 20:52   #118
BHPian

Re: Planning a 5 day Rajasthan Roadtrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshulkwatra View Post
Friends,

We are planning for a 5 day Rajasthan Road trip. Looking forward to learning from your experience to enjoy the trip to the fullest.

Need inputs on the following (any other input is also welcome)
1. Is this an interesting itinerary
2. Road conditions
3. Routing
4. Interesting stops on the way which should be experienced etc etc

Eagerly await your inputs and help

Thanks
Anshul
Road conditions are decent in the routes you mentioned in Rajasthan. In Ajmer/Kishangarh Country Inn & Suites By Carlson is a good place to stay. I stayed there once. I'm not sure where you plan to stay in Udaipur. There is Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace facing the lake which I liked when I visited Udaipur. Udaipur has many places like City palace, Street food joints in Sukhadia Circle and Vintage Car museum which you may wish to visit.
Drivethru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 15:08   #119

Re: Planning a 5 day Rajasthan Roadtrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivethru View Post
Road conditions are decent in the routes you mentioned in Rajasthan. In Ajmer/Kishangarh Country Inn & Suites By Carlson is a good place to stay. I stayed there once. I'm not sure where you plan to stay in Udaipur. There is Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace facing the lake which I liked when I visited Udaipur. Udaipur has many places like City palace, Street food joints in Sukhadia Circle and Vintage Car museum which you may wish to visit.
@Drivethru thanks for your inputs, have made note of the attractions mentioned esp Vintage Car museum, my son would go love it

With regards to hotels, we would have our pet along in the journey, so will have to shortlist places to stay which allow pets.
Old 6th October 2015, 22:40   #120
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Planning for Rajasthan trip next month via train.
12 Nov - Mumbai - Jodhpur
13 Nov - Jodhpur (Arrive at 7:00 AM, City tour)
14 Nov - Jodhpur (City tour)
15 Nov - Jodhpur - Jaisalmer 285 kms
16 Nov - Jaisalmer - Jaipur 570 kms
17 Nov - Jaipur (City tour)
18 Nov - Jaipur (City tour)
19 Nov - Jaipur Udaipur 415 kms
20 Nov - Udaipur (City tour)
21 Nov - Udaipur - Mumbai (City tour, Departure 9:35 PM)

Questions:
1. Is the plan good enough for trip.
2. Iam planning to hire a taxi for 9 days, which would be best way to travel
Jaisalmer - Jaipur i.e day or night.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks