Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 22:10   #46
BHPian

re: Calicut - Trivandrum - Calicut Route Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Basic doubt:

Kunnamkulam is not on NH17 right? So how do you connect Kuttiparam to Kunnamkulam?
Is it the road via Nadduvattam?

My understanding (as per what I read) is that its not worth taking NH17 from Kuttipuram to Chavakkad and beyond.
But I was wondering, is that a better option to drive down to Trichur via Guruvayur?
(Again I understand it would be highly traffic prone. But which road in Kerala is not heavy on traffic!!)
Logically, the main highway beyond Kuttippuram to both Guruvayur/Thrissur is SH-69 which is "Thrissur – Choondal – Kunnamkulam – Perumpilavu – Naduvattom – Edappal – Thavanoor – Thrikkanapuram (joins SH 17 here which is a couple of kms before the bridge across Bharathapuzha river just south of Kuttippuram)". This is what 99% of people, including private and KSRTC buses, take to Guruvayur/Thrissur and southwards.

NH-17 is actually a Work-In-Progress road between Thrikkanapuram and Ponnani. Beyond Ponnani till Kodungallur, NH-17 is very good except for about 5 kms between Chavakkad and Chettuva bridge. Between Kodungallur and Paravur, you need a magnifying glass to see NH-17 as reported by others in this forum.

Now, assuming you are going south from Kuttippuram, these are the main landmarks for you:
1) Just south of Kuttippuram, you cross Bharathapuzha river
2) A couple of kms south, NH-17 forks off to your right at Thrikkanapuram towards Ponnani. This road has a narrow entrance and the entry looks like a tunnel between small hillocks/rocks. The broad highway straight is the SH-69 upto Thrissur and the big green display board reminds you of SH-17 in our own backyard if you discount the dividers.
3) A few kms down south, you get Edappal, where right takes you to Ponnani (a better choice to join back NH-17 if you need to) and left takes you towards Pattambi
4) A few kms further down south, you get Perumpilavu where road from Perinthalmanna/Pattambi joins from your left
5) A couple of kms south, at Akkikkavu, you get a left road indicating Thrissur/Sabarimala that takes you directly to Kecheri bye-passing Kunnamkulam town. In this road, you need to take a right in the next major junction to Kecheri/Thrissur whereas straight takes you Wadakkanchery on Thrissur-Shoranur road
6) Still on SH-69? You enter Kunnamkulam town and at a 5-road junction, the straight and good-wide road takes you to Guruvayur (8-10 kms). Right road is a local road but connect to NH-17 between Ponnani and Chavakkad. There will be 2 lefts where U-turn kinda left takes you on the famous Kunnamkulam-Wadakkanchery road (famous because this road has many small scale industries that churn out 'Made in Kunnamkulam' goods like 'Made in USA' where U is for UlhasNagar near Mumbai). The other left road (when you enter this road, the bus stand will be on your left whereas for Wadakkanchery/Alathur road, it will be on your right) is the continuation of SH-69 to Thrissur and it would be about 25-kms, I believe. There are good signages in this 5-road junction and you will not be confused or lost !

In short, Kuttippuram-Kunnamkulam road is SH-69 (now one of the best and widest roads in Kerala much like SH-17 is the best now in Karnataka excusing the mindless speed-breakers) and upto Kunnamkulam, it is the same road to Thrissur/Guruvayur if you are coming from North of Kuttippuram.

I am not sure how much clear I had been here. But with this points, you can make better sense when you look at GoogleMaps now.

Last edited by ajithbr : 25th August 2011 at 22:14.
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 22:27   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
I am not sure how much clear I had been here. But with this points, you can make better sense when you look at GoogleMaps now.

That really helps Ajit. I have taken this good road but only in part.
On the way to Pattambi, I think you need to this highway in part.

I also remember that after I got off this SH, the road conditions
(towards Pattambi got bad).
Old 26th August 2011, 10:40   #48

Quote:
A couple of kms before crossing Bharathapuzha river just when you reach Kuttippuram. Any specific reason for this query?
My query is to reach Calicut from Thirssur en route to Coorg.
I had a strong feeling that Kunnumkulam to Calicut is N17, but in the google-maps I saw another route.
Your reply to ampere is indeed very helpful.
But one basic question, to reach Kunnamkulam from thrissur, I dont have to touch Guruvayoor ?
Old 26th August 2011, 11:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asifpm View Post
My query is to reach Calicut from Thirssur en route to Coorg.
I had a strong feeling that Kunnumkulam to Calicut is N17, but in the google-maps I saw another route.
Your reply to ampere is indeed very helpful.
But one basic question, to reach Kunnamkulam from thrissur, I dont have to touch Guruvayoor ?
No, you don't need to. (Also if you're going to Guruvayoor from Trichur, you don't need to touch Kunnamkulam either - To go to Guruvayoor, you have to take a left turn at Choondal which is about 3 or 4 kms before Kunnamkulam on the Trichur-Kunnamkulam road)

If you're heading towards Calicut and passing Trichur during the day, it is better to bypass the crowded Kunnamkulam town by taking a right turn at Kecheri (About 16-17 kms from Trichur). You'll join the Kunnamkulam-Calicut highway in about 10 kms at Akkikkavu. You also save 2 or 3 kms if you take this route.

Last edited by kala : 26th August 2011 at 11:30.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 11:29   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is easy. The road to Guruvayur, deviates at Choondal. The same SH that you take from Trichur for GVR will continue to Kunnamkulam.

Below is the google route from Trichur to GVR.

Thrissur, Kerala to Guruvayoor, Kerala - Google Maps

Note the deviation at Choondal. Also note how the same SH continues to Kunnamkulam.

EDIT: Just saw Kala's response. Do note the Kecheri turning. Its helps to avoid Kunnamkulam.

Last edited by ampere : 26th August 2011 at 11:31.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 12:17   #51

Quote:
That is easy. The road to Guruvayur, deviates at Choondal. The same SH that you take from Trichur for GVR will continue to Kunnamkulam.

Below is the google route from Trichur to GVR.

Thrissur, Kerala to Guruvayoor, Kerala - Google Maps
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala
If you're heading towards Calicut and passing Trichur during the day, it is better to bypass the crowded Kunnamkulam town by taking a right turn at Kecheri (About 16-17 kms from Trichur). You'll join the Kunnamkulam-Calicut highway in about 10 kms at Akkikkavu. You also save 2 or 3 kms if you take this route.
This is pretty clear.
Now I am clear upto calicut
Old 26th August 2011, 18:10   #52
BHPian

Quote:
That really helps Ajit. I have taken this good road but only in part.
On the way to Pattambi, I think you need to this highway in part.

I also remember that after I got off this SH, the road conditions
(towards Pattambi got bad).
From where to Pattambi? And do you remember where you got off from the highway?
Old 26th August 2011, 18:30   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From where to Pattambi? And do you remember where you got off from the highway?
I was driving fom GVR to Mysore. I went though Kunnamkulam. I also remember seeing sign-board for Kuttipuram.
Old 26th August 2011, 18:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was driving fom GVR to Mysore. I went though Kunnamkulam. I also remember seeing sign-board for Kuttipuram.
Very likely to be the turnoff towards Pattambi at Perumpilavu (the right fork) in that case.
Old 26th August 2011, 19:38   #55
BHPian

Quote:
This is pretty clear.
Now I am clear upto calicut
Do you have a hard constraint of touching Calicut for any reason? Because after Calicut, NH-17 towards north is going to be a hell-of-a-ride with bad roads, narrow roads heavy traffic etc.

Also, please note that Mananthavady and Iritty are like 2 mutually points in any of your routes. That means, you need to touch either of them to enter Coorg.

Another point to consider is Mananthavady->Gonikoppal route is reported to be bad as well.

Altogether put, you need to avoid both NH-17 just north of Calicut and Mananthavady->Gonikoppal route. If you remove Mananthavady, you will be left with climbing up the ghats from Iritty.

So, essentially you need the best route from Thrissur to Iritty now.

If I am to drive from Thrissur to Iritty in the present situation, my preference would be Thrissur-Kecheri-Akkikkavu-Perumpilavu-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri-Areekode-Mukkam-Thamarassery(cross NH-212)-Balusseri-Ulliyeri-Nadapuram-Panoor-Kuthuparamba(join road from Thalassery here)-Iritty.
Old 26th August 2011, 20:21   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I am to drive from Thrissur to Iritty in the present situation, my preference would be Thrissur-Kecheri-Akkikkavu-Perumpilavu-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri-Areekode-Mukkam-Thamarassery(cross NH-212)-Balusseri-Ulliyeri-Nadapuram-Panoor-Kuthuparamba(join road from Thalassery here)-Iritty.
Good suggestion. I've had first hand reports of roads being in reasonably good shape till Thamarassery on this route - but from there till Koothuparamba is a grey area since there haven't been anyone in my acquaintance (either here on TBHP or outside) who has travelled this way recently. Any info on the conditions, Ajith ?

One more thing to keep in mind while travelling through these interior routes in Kerala is that you do get pot-holed stretches off and on, and the drive would generally be rather slow because of local 2-3 wheeler traffic (and private buses that try to swipe you off the road), so the best one can hope for is to average about 30 to 40 kmph. (for the whole stretch from Kottakkal to Koothuparamba).
Old 26th August 2011, 20:48   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Good suggestion. I've had first hand reports of roads being in reasonably good shape till Thamarassery on this route - but from there till Koothuparamba is a grey area since there haven't been anyone in my acquaintance (either here on TBHP or outside) who has travelled this way recently. Any info on the conditions, Ajith ?

One more thing to keep in mind while travelling through these interior routes in Kerala is that you do get pot-holed stretches off and on, and the drive would generally be rather slow because of local 2-3 wheeler traffic (and private buses that try to swipe you off the road), so the best one can hope for is to average about 30 to 40 kmph. (for the whole stretch from Kottakkal to Koothuparamba).
I would say that the following is easily achievable timings till Thamarassery:
Muvattupuzha->Thrissur : 2 hours
Thrissur ->Kottakkal : 2 hours
Kottakkal->Manjeri->Areekode : 1 hour
Areekode->Thamarassery->Ulliyeri : 1 hour
Ulliyeri->Kuthuparamba : Need information from local drivers
Kuthuparamba->Iritty->Makkootta->Virajpet->Siddapura : 3 hours

Best to know for local conditions on Thamarassery-Kuthuparamba route is to check with the drivers of private luxury buses to Vatakara (some of them take Thamarassery-Koyilandi-Vatakara route) and to Panoor/Nadapuram. Or some local taxi drivers in Kozhikode/Kannur districts.
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 17:06   #58

Quote:
Thanks Ajith for this master plan.
Really appreciated on your thought process to divert from Thrissur itself rather than diverting from NH17 at later point (Calicut).
One clarification, Upto Kottakkal its the normal Thrissur - Calicut Route ?
Old 29th August 2011, 16:02   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ajith for this master plan.
Really appreciated on your thought process to divert from Thrissur itself rather than diverting from NH17 at later point (Calicut).
One clarification, Upto Kottakkal its the normal Thrissur - Calicut Route ?
Yes. At Changuvetti T-junction, the NH-17 (road to Calicut) takes left and you need to take right towards Kottakkal town. Pass town and the same road continues to Malappuram. When reaching Malappuram, you will hit a circle on NH-212(Palakkad-Calicut road) junction and you need to take the diagonally opposite road to Manjeri. (Please ask some local jeep/auto/taxi at this junction if you are even 1% confused since many people end up taking wrong turn here !).

And if you are driving on rush/peak timings, it would be worth to take the relatively new bye-pass road for Valanchery as well since the junction (sharp 90-degree left for NH-17 if you look at the maps) in Valanchery town is a really painful and time-consuming bottleneck. Also, the bye-pass helps you avoid the mini-ghat section of Vattappara where one tanker ahead of you can consume about 30 minutes for the 3-4 kms.
Old 12th September 2011, 11:30   #60

Quote:
This the route finally I have chosen. Upto Ulliyeri road is good. From Ulliyeri, I had taken taken this route Ulliyeri-> Perambra-> Kuttiyadi-> Nadapuram-> Mekkunnu -> Thaliparamba

But there is another route from Perambra which directly hits NH17 at Payyoli. This is was suggested one workshop guy, but I stick to the old route Perambra -> Kuttiyadi and further to thaliparamba..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks