Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 10:28   #31
BHPian

thanks much Mayukh. Any other dos and donts guys? Need to finalize the plan and book a travel agent.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:42   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

The road to Nathu La is not open on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays. Please plan accordingly.
Old 10th March 2010, 13:05   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The road to Nathu La is not open on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays. Please plan accordingly.
Thanks for the info SS. I have planned the Nathula trip to be on Wednesday.

Any other inputs?
Old 10th March 2010, 13:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

How much more easier is it to get permits for travelling in own vehicle to Nathu la/Tasango and North Sikkhim? Or is it still as difficult as it was before?
Old 10th March 2010, 19:21   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
How much more easier is it to get permits for travelling in own vehicle to Nathu la/Tasango and North Sikkhim? Or is it still as difficult as it was before?
Will find out at first hand and tell you at the end of this month.
Old 12th March 2010, 00:33   #36
BHPian

I will be finalizing the tour as mentioned in my earlier post for 4 adults with private vehicle and decent accomodation for 50k. Decent price? Comments?
Old 15th March 2010, 14:31   #37
BHPian

Finalized the tour with an advance. Looking forward to it. Any inputs from TBHPians who have been to Sikkim?
Old 15th March 2010, 14:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

In case you have not seen the travelogue/log book of my drive to Sikkhim, here it is:

kumar'snortheastdrivingholiday6 (hvkumar)
On Gangtok, Rumtek & Changu Lake

kumar'snortheastdrivingholiday7 (hvkumar)
On West Sikkhim - Rabangla, Yakshum, Kechopari,Pemayangtse & Dentam
Old 6th April 2010, 18:09   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Hi SS,

Wonderful travelogue and pics. Especially useful for me, since I plan to go on a Sikkim trip next week. I have booked a travel agent who will give me accommodation and transport by a private vehicle for the 4 of us.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1771249

The places where we will be staying are:
  • Pelling - Aryan Regency
  • Gangtok - Anola hotel
  • Lachen - Village Guest House
  • Lachung - Village Apple Valley Inn
Since you have just been there, you are the best person to answer my queries.
  • I wanted a Mahindra Maxx based on feedback on other sites where they recommend it over a Tata Sumo/Spacio. What do you think is the more reliable of the two and what should I as for?
  • How is the weather nowadays? Is it raining/snowing?
  • Did you see rhododendrons? Is it the season now?
  • Any places from this list that we can drop if we don't have time?
  • Any places that I have missed out on?
  • Most importantly, what are the things that I clearly need to tell my travel agent before hand?
  • There are no Maxx 4x4s in Sikkim (at least that I've seen, esp. on the Nathu La road). The Sumo is certainly more comfortable than the Maxx, and the Spacio is better because it doesn't tend to run out of steam so easily on the slopes. In the end, a lot depends on the driver, how good or bad he is. But everybody is on 4x2, and all taxis ride on retreaded tyres.
  • It has been raining and snowing in that area for the last few days, and there has been cyclonic weather too. So make sure you carry a set of umbrellas. In fact, the Nathu La road was closed on the 28th, the day after we were there - you'll see why in that thread, as I continue.
  • You can safely forget about planning extra time for the Rimbi rock garden and the Kanchejunga falls - the most uninteresting places I've seen. We saw these from the car on our way to Darjeeling from Pelling, via Legship and Nayabazar. You might want to stay at the Trekkers' Huts at Kecheopalri Lake (Rs.150 per room, utterly basic) rather than at Pelling - the view of Kanchenjunga is said to be grander from there (provided the weather is clear). Not been to North Sikkim, so cannot comment. adc may be in a better position to say.
  • You're headed that way exactly in rhododendron season. Take a look...
Travel Information for Gangtok-aaaak80.jpg
  • Nothing you've missed that I have gone to.
  • Since your travel agent is providing you the car, make sure he agrees to give you a free replacement (or reimbursement for hiring another car) in case the car breaks down. And ask your agent not to give you rooms on the top/fourth floors of the hotels you're booking - after a walk in the hills for plains people like us, the additional task of climbing the typically narrow and steep stairs is such a pain!!!
Hope this helps. If you need to know anything else, please feel free to PM me.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi friends,

I am planning to visit Gangtok in the 3rd week of Feb 2011.

I have total 5 days, out of which the 1st and 5th day would be spent traveling. So I have effectively 3 days stay in Gangtok.

The plan is something like this:

Day1: Bhopal to Delhi (morning flight), Delhi to Bagdogra (noon flight), Bagdogra to Gangtok (cab?), check in at hotel.

Day2-4: Sight seeing in and around Gangtok.

Day5: Gangtok to Bagdogra (morning), Bagdogra to Delhi (flight), Delhi to Bhopal (flight/train)

This would be my honeymoon trip. Hence, I would like to stay put in some good hotel for 4 nights and 3 days and spend some quality time together.

Sight seeing is not the first priority, but we would like to cover some must see spots in a leisurely manner.

Please note that I have no knowledge of north east. So please try to give as much info as possible.

Should I go for a packaged tour or book everything individually ?

Please suggest some good hotels (deluxe but not luxury).

Please suggest the must see spots in and around Gangtok.

Any other tips/suggestions.

Rohan
Old 15th February 2013, 15:48   #41
BHPian

re: Travel Information for Gangtok

Looking at Proxima's itenerary, he travelled from pelling to gangtok and then to Lachen and other places and came back to gagntok. Instead, is it possible to travel from Pelling to Lachen, cover places around and then travel to Gangtok

Last edited by daisyb : 15th February 2013 at 15:50. Reason: rewording
Old 20th February 2013, 11:35   #42
BHPian

can anyone tell how much does the taxi and permits to Nathula pass cost. When I contacted oe of the travel agents, he is quoting 4500 for just Nathula.
Old 20th February 2013, 14:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
can anyone tell how much does the taxi and permits to Nathula pass cost. When I contacted oe of the travel agents, he is quoting 4500 for just Nathula.
Last year it was 3000 for a Nathula day trip during off-season (Feb-March).

In peak seasons (April-May), it is around 4-4.5k.

You can visit one of the travel agents in MG Marg or ask the staff at the hotel in Gangtok to arrange for a car. That way, it will be cheaper. There is no need to book beforehand specially during non-peak seasons.

Permit comes free with the car and is arranged on the same day. You need to provide a copy of your identity proof and 2 copies of photograph if you are an Indian citizen.
black_panther is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 14:20   #44
BHPian

Planning this trip in May. Gangtok, Lachung and Yamthung are included in the itenerary. I have a situation to choose between Lachen and Pelling. Please suggest which is hte best to visit during May
Old 21st February 2013, 17:41   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
Planning this trip in May. Gangtok, Lachung and Yamthung are included in the itenerary. I have a situation to choose between Lachen and Pelling. Please suggest which is hte best to visit during May
Pelling would have been a better option during the winter season.

If you are not travelling with small kids, Lachen, Lachung, Yumthang, Gurudongar Lake (all in North sikkim) would be ideal in the month of May.

If you plan to visit all the above, you would need a car for 3 days, that costs around 12-13k in May from Gangtok.

You need night halts at Lachung/Lachen with limited facility hotels. Hotels in Lachen are slightly better now a days.

Package trips (with food) are also available for the above at 2.5-3k per person from Gangtok for a Balero Max accommodating 10 persons.
black_panther is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks