Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2013, 19:01   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I managed to get hold of one cab operator for Sikkim siteseeing. He is quoting me Rs 8000 for a day trip to Nathu La Pass + Baba Mandir + Tsango Lake. This is for 1st week of May. When asked the rationale behind this rate, he mentioned of 'high season'! Any idea if this rate is reasonable?
Seems to be too high to me. Should be much lower. But I don't know how the summer season effects the business model.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 20:51   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I managed to get hold of one cab operator for Sikkim siteseeing. He is quoting me Rs 8000 for a day trip to Nathu La Pass + Baba Mandir + Tsango Lake. This is for 1st week of May. When asked the rationale behind this rate, he mentioned of 'high season'! Any idea if this rate is reasonable?
Hi dmplog ,
We are also travelling in the first week of May and have also got a similar quote. We got this tour operator through a friend . All these operators are united, and hence such quote.
Rameshdude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 10:13   #63
BHPian

re: Travel Information for Gangtok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Hi dmplog ,
We are also travelling in the first week of May and have also got a similar quote. We got this tour operator through a friend . All these operators are united, and hence such quote.
Thanks. I, too, realized that this is a standard quote for a full vehicle (Sumo, Xylo, Bolero). However, when I probed on the shared mode (per passenger based), then I was quoted Rs. 800 per person, which comes out much cheaper for smaller family (2 adults + 1 child).
Old 13th April 2013, 09:01   #64
BHPian

Hi dmplog,
This is the quote we got from our travel agent.

DATE
NAME OF THE PLACE
HOTEL
Vehicle RENT
TOTAL COST

3RD MAY 13

N. J. P. to Darjeeling hafl day sight seeing

2000.00(per room)

4th MAY 13

DARJEELING to GANGTOK after the TIGER HILL
2500.00(per room)

5TH MAY 13

Gangtok to Lachen (north sikkim) well doing sightseeing on the way night stay @ lachen Hotel.
2000.00(per room)

6th MAY 13

Lachen to Gurudongmar lake, back to Lachen for lunch then to Lachung night stay @ Lachung hotel
3000.00( per room)

7th MAY 13

Lachung to Yumthang valley then Zero point back to Lachung hotel for luch then Gangtok
2500.00(per room)
Gangtok H.

8th MAY 13

Gangtok local sightseeing full day
2500.00(per room)
Gangtok H.
6000.00(3 cars)

9th MAY 13

Gangtok to Nathula pass back to Gangtok
2500.00(per room)
Gangtok H.

10th MAY 13

Gangtok to N. J. P.

Grand
Total Rs/-

It is a normal vehicle charge. having said that I will provide you one scorpio for north sikkim so that 79 old person and ladies can ride in it.
From N.J.P. to Darjeeling I will give you one innova but for the sightseeing is hard to promise for luxury vehicle.
For 5,6,& 7 its include food, hotel , transportation and the pass for the place where you are going to visit. Like Gurudongmar lake, Yumsadung Zero point where the road ends from India. ( yumthang to Zero point they will take a 2500 per vehicle & lachen to Gurudongmar also but that is also I include in the package )
For the 9 person visit of sikkim 3 hotel room's, two vehicle, 3 days lunch to lunch food covered, the total amount is only 1,45000.00 which is divide 9 = will be 16111.11/-

Last edited by Rameshdude : 13th April 2013 at 09:03.
Rameshdude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:03   #65
BHPian

Just back from sikkim. Its a beautiul place to visit. excellent weather, neat and clean state, very friendly people, good food for veggies also.

Visited Gangtok, Lachen, Gurudongmar lake, Lachung, Yumthang valley, zero point, pelling.

- The success of sikkim trip purely depends on the driving skills of your driver. The terrain is very rough, with literally no roads. The paths are very narrow too.

- Better get the tour booked through tour operators, as permits will be required for North sikkim and Nathula pass. Tour operators make it seemless experience as they are familair with the procedures, the border police etc. You dont get too many food options in North Sikkim. hence tour operators generally arrange for BF/Lunch/Dinner also which is very convenient. http://sikkimtourism.gov.in provides with the list of tour operators and their ratings.

We loved the trip to Gurudongmar lake. It is a must see destination in sikkim. We started just when the dawn set at 4AM (It is usually bright and sometimes sunny too at 4.30AM). Journey through the hills is beautiful.

Dont miss sikkim food - tasty Momos, Tukpa. You get this in most of the eateries.
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:28   #66
BHPian

(Contnd...)

- If you havent experienced play in the snow earlier, zero point is also a must visit place. At Zero point, the road hits himalayan mountain ranges. One gets to get on to the snow mountain - you can play with snow balls, climb up the mountain, slide on the snow etc etc. it was zero degrees even in Summer. Needs proper gear like thick jackets, gum boots, gloves, cap to cover ears. Good news is that everything is available on rent.
Old 10th June 2013, 09:53   #67
BHPian

Just back from Darjeeling / Gangtok trip. Rain and mist dampened the show a bit.

Gangtok is one of the most beautiful and clean hill station. Almost every other vehicle I hired had a wonderful driver. The drive to Nathula was awesome. Slight rain, mist (visibilty 10 feet), clear view when the mist clears, good road at times, sudden bad patches, you will have it all.

A salute to our brave jawans who keep us safe by living in such difficult conditions
Old 10th June 2013, 12:36   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
The terrain is very rough, with literally no roads. The paths are very narrow too.
Congrats on undertaking this wonderful trip.

Would like to have an update from you about the road conditions. As you say they are rough & sometimes even they don't exist, is this the condition of the Siliguri- Gangtok highway or the roads in north-sikkim?

Regards,
Saket
Old 10th June 2013, 13:17   #69
BHPian

Saket,

The roads are particularly bad in North Sikkim.

Bagdogra - Siliguri - Road (Highway) between Bagdogra and Siliguri is a straight road and very good.

Siliguri - Gangtok - A stretch of the road is very bad as road works/widening is going on. Rest of the road is not very bad except for some pot holes.

North Sikkim - Roads/paths are very bad, long stretches doesnt have any tar, it is rocky and/or muddy. A lot of water falls crisscross the roads with water flowing on the road with out separate outlets underneath. The roads are very very narrow. only one vehicle can pass at a time. There is no railing at all anywhere. the roads are highly winding with sharp hair-pin bends.

Gangtok/East Sikkim, West Sikkim, South Sikkim - Roads are good and relatively wide when compared to North Sikkim.

More details about my trip @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3142688.

Truly enjoyed the trip and will cherish the memories for a long time
daisyb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 13:23   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Gangtok is one of the most beautiful and clean hill station. Almost every other vehicle I hired had a wonderful driver. The drive to Nathula was awesome. Slight rain, mist (visibilty 10 feet), clear view when the mist clears, good road at times, sudden bad patches, you will have it all.

A salute to our brave jawans who keep us safe by living in such difficult conditions
Agree with you regaridng the drivers in Sikkim. It requires good skills and understanding of those areas to drive in Sikkim, especially North Sikkim. I found them very disciplined, have excelent protocols between them, no one in a hurry to overtake the others, while they give away way to the faster vehicles.

Salute to the Army/Border security force for bearing with these extreme weather conditions, risking their lives and protecting our borders.
Old 16th September 2013, 19:31   #71
BHPian

Have planned a short 3 night trip to Gangtok as an appendix to our Kolkata visit during Durga Puja.
Any suggestions for must see places to visit other than the regular Nathula, Tsomgo, etc? Also suggestions on recommended eateries are welcome.
Old 4th November 2013, 17:16   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Just back from sikkim. Its a beautiul place to visit. excellent weather, neat and clean state, very friendly people, good food for veggies also.

Visited Gangtok, Lachen, Gurudongmar lake, Lachung, Yumthang valley, zero point, pelling.
Hi,
I am 60 yrs and wife 58 yrs. Will we get permit to visit Gurudongmar lake? Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 10:51   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satshen View Post
Hi,
I am 60 yrs and wife 58 yrs. Will we get permit to visit Gurudongmar lake? Thanks
Both my parents were 60+, they got the permits. So I don't think it should be an issue. The border police near the check posts did a check of all of us, to see if we are looking good and fit. So as long as you are healthy and fit, I don't think it should be a problem.

My suggestion: If you and your wife are physically fit, go for it. In case of any health issues like asthma, would suggest not to go for it.

Tips: Don't walk fast, avoid talking loud, take smaller and slower strides. take a break after every 100 mts. Sit and enjoy the place.
Old 8th November 2013, 17:09   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Both my parents were 60+, they got the permits. So I don't think it should be an issue. The border police near the check posts did a check of all of us, to see if we are looking good and fit. So as long as you are healthy and fit, I don't think it should be a problem.

My suggestion: If you and your wife are physically fit, go for it. In case of any health issues like asthma, would suggest not to go for it.

Tips: Don't walk fast, avoid talking loud, take smaller and slower strides. take a break after every 100 mts. Sit and enjoy the place.
Hi

Thanks for the encouragement - we will give Gurudongmar Lake a try.

Please could you suggest a good driver, with contact details and approximate cost for (1) Nathu La and (2) North Sikkim. Any information on where to get permits to these places is most welcome.

Regards
Old 11th November 2013, 11:39   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satshen View Post
Hi
Please could you suggest a good driver, with contact details and approximate cost for (1) Nathu La and (2) North Sikkim. Any information on where to get permits to these places is most welcome.
Regards
I would suggest you to go with a tour operator for North Sikkim and Nathula pass for 2 reasons:
1. These places need permits, tour operators ensure that the process of obtaining a permit is seem-less. We don't even need to visit the tourism office for the permit.
2. North Sikkim has very limited stay and food options. Tour operators take care of end-to-end trip including food, acco, sight seeing etc. Even if we want to separately hire a vehicle, they quote high costs as the terrain of North Sikkim is very harsh.

Sikkim tourism website has a list of approved tour operators
http://sikkimtourism.gov.in/Webforms...TATO_List.aspx
We went with Yak & Yeti. Their website: http://www.yakandyeti.com/. They are one of the good operators in Sikkim.

Best time of visit is around Apr-May. Winters will be very cold and some parts of North Sikkim are likely to be closed due to heavy snow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks