Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:51   #46
BHPian

re: Travel Information for Gangtok

Thanks Black panther. We are travelling with kids and parents. What are the places to see in Lachen. Is this palce very different from Lachung, Yumthung. We are covering Lachung and Yumthung.
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:56   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
can anyone tell how much does the taxi and permits to Nathula pass cost. When I contacted oe of the travel agents, he is quoting 4500 for just Nathula.
I know one person in Gangtok who can arrange for a trip to Nathu La at the best possible rate. His name is Ayup. You mention that you have got his number from a person working in TCS and drives down to gangtok from kolkata, he will remember me. I will PM you his number.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 14:47   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Black panther. We are travelling with kids and parents. What are the places to see in Lachen. Is this palce very different from Lachung, Yumthung. We are covering Lachung and Yumthung.
You can visit places like Lachung , Yumthang (less than 13k feet) and Lachen with parents and kids.

From Lachen (10k feet) , you can drive down to Gurudongar Lake. Special permits are required for the same and are issued to Indian citizens between 7 and 60 years of age.
The Lake is situated at a height of more than 17k feet and lies in a pocket devoid of oxygen. I managed to take my son (less than 3 yrs) there after signing a bond, but he had health issues.
Lachen itself is beautiful and your kids and parents can stay back there for half a day.
Alternately, you can drive up to a place called Thangu (~15k feet) and even upto chopta valley with parents and kids. Don't take a night halt there because of very very limited facilities (runs on solar power and Indian toilets).

Thangu onwards, the roads are not metallic and therefore would be bumpy. You can hire vehicles like Scorpio/Xylo at a bit premium cost.

All the above places can be done in 3 days from Gangtok/NJP. Nathula pass lies in East Sikkim and you can do a day trip from Gangtok.
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:17   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
Pelling would have been a better option during the winter season.

If you are not travelling with small kids, Lachen, Lachung, Yumthang, Gurudongar Lake (all in North sikkim) would be ideal in the month of May.

If you plan to visit all the above, you would need a car for 3 days, that costs around 12-13k in May from Gangtok.

You need night halts at Lachung/Lachen with limited facility hotels. Hotels in Lachen are slightly better now a days.

Package trips (with food) are also available for the above at 2.5-3k per person from Gangtok for a Balero Max accommodating 10 persons.
Hi black_pather
I am planning to visit Sikkim in the month of April / May. We have a 4 year old daughter with me. Is there location (places of interest) which which we should avoid with young child? I guess most of the following Lachen, Lachung, Yumthang are high-altitude locations and might cause problems for small children..
Thanks.
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:39   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Hi black_pather
I am planning to visit Sikkim in the month of April / May. We have a 4 year old daughter with me. Is there location (places of interest) which which we should avoid with young child? I guess most of the following Lachen, Lachung, Yumthang are high-altitude locations and might cause problems for small children..
Thanks.
Yumthang is the highest of the places you have mentioned and it is around 12.5k feet high. Weather would be pleasant in April-May, therefore it should not be an issue to travel with small kids.

From Lachen, if you plan to visit Gurudongar Lake, you might not get a permit for the kid. Height is not a major issue here, but that particular place is devoid of oxygen. Even adults tend to collapse there if adequate precautions are not taken.

There is also another place called "Zero point" (in the Lachung belt) which is at a height of around 14.5k feet. I have not been there, but you might like to avoid this place as well.
Old 22nd February 2013, 16:42   #51
BHPian

Blackpearl, can you PM Ayup's number and your number also. We are trying to book sikkim tour through tour operators. they are taking us for a ride. would like to consult with you on how best and cheap we can do this
Old 22nd February 2013, 17:34   #52
BHPian

Blackpearl,Blackpanther,

Itenerary provided by Yak & Yeti. To me it looked hectic. We are travelling kith kids and parents. Is it doable. can you also tell me if some important places are being missed out?

both my parents are 60+. Is travel to Gurudongmar Lake safe?

5th May: Pick up from NJP Railway Stn./Bagdogra airport. Meeting/ Assistance and drive to Gangtok. (4 hrs.) Arrive Gangtok. Check in hotel Evening free/ Take a walk at the Mall. Stay O/N.

6th May: Depart for Lachen from Gangtok . You will be picked up by a Maruti Van to meet up your jeep at the Jeep stand. Sight seeing of Seven sister falls, Bhim Nala (falls)- lunch on the way. Arrive Lachen Check in hotel. Evening free. Early dinner. Stay O/N.

7th May: Early morning after morning tea start a long but adventurous jeep safari from Lachen to Gurudongmar Lake situated at 17, 300 feet. On the way stop at Thangu Lachen for tea and light breakfast. It is believed that Guru Padmasambhawa – mediated by this lake while his journey to Tibet to preach Buddhism. Return back to Lachen. Drive to Lachung. Stay O/N.

8th May: After breakfast an excursion to Yumgthang valley and Shingbha Rhododendron sanctuary and Hot spring. While returning back you can take a dip at the hot spring, which is suppose to be of medicinal value. Return to Lachung for Lunch .After Lunch drive to Gangtok. Stay O/N.

9th May: An easy excursion to Tsomgo Lake situated at the Indo-Tibet border at an altitude of 12,400ft. (option to have an experience of Yak ride here). Enjoy the serene beauty of the lake. Also visit Baba Mandir Nathula Pass. Return back to Gangtok. Stay O/N. (Nathula Pass visit depends on the availability of permit)

10th May: visit places of tourist interest including famous Enchey Monastery, Tibetology, Institute of Cottage Industry, Dro-Drul Chorten and drive to Pelling. Stay O/N.

11th May: Early morning enjoy the sun rise over mountain ranges/after breakfast visit Pemayangtse monastery and enjoy the views of West Sikkim hills and the mountain ranges in the background, visit Rabdentse Palace Ruins,Darap village, Rimbi water fall, Rimbi rock garden - the second capital of Sikkim, option to take a walk up to Sanga-choling monastery. Stay O/N.

12th May: Drive from Pelling to airport. Tour ends.
Old 22nd February 2013, 18:00   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Blackpearl,Blackpanther,

Itenerary provided by Yak & Yeti. To me it looked hectic. We are travelling kith kids and parents. Is it doable. can you also tell me if some important places are being missed out?

both my parents are 60+. Is travel to Gurudongmar Lake safe?

The itinery looks a bit hectic but should be fine if your parents are in good health. Please plan to carry disposable oxygen cylinders as added precaution for visiting Gurudongmar. The itinery covers almost all the famous places. Additionaly there is a ropeway in Gangtok and a new tourist place has come up recently called the Bonjhakri falls. Have PMed you the phone numbers.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 18:06   #54
BHPian

^^^
If you are flying to Bagdogra and have a car booked for the trip beforehand, then you can drive up to Mangan instead of Gangtok on Day1. Permits are also issued at Mangan. That way, the next few days would be less hectic.

If you plan a night halt at Gangtok on Day1, then you can book a car in the evening to find out the best deal.

As your parents are more than 60 years of age, they won't get permits to visit the lake. They can drive up to and wait at the last check post at 16.5k feet height.
black_panther is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 13:31   #55
BHPian

I planning a visit in June I week covering Darjeeling and Gangtok.

Day 1: Arrive in Bagdogra airport by 11.40 from Calcutta. Take the heritage mountain train from Kurseong to Darjeeling (already booked in I class). Stay overnight

Day 2: Darjeeling - Stay overnight

Day 3: Darjeeling to Gangtok - Stay at Ganntok

Day 4: Gangtok

Day 5: Gangtok

Day 6: Leave Gangtok early in the morning for Bagdogra airport (12.10 pm dep)

We will be a group of 9 and we would like to avoid hectic travel. The idea is to relax and enjoy the beauty in a relaxed way even if we don't cover all places. Of course that gives you the chance to plan the next trip.

Please suggest places to visit and climate to expect. The plan can be tweaked without changing the number of days.
Old 14th March 2013, 14:24   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
I planning a visit in June I week covering Darjeeling and Gangtok.

Day 1: Arrive in Bagdogra airport by 11.40 from Calcutta. Take the heritage mountain train from Kurseong to Darjeeling (already booked in I class). Stay overnight

Day 2: Darjeeling - Stay overnight

Day 3: Darjeeling to Gangtok - Stay at Ganntok

Day 4: Gangtok

Day 5: Gangtok

Day 6: Leave Gangtok early in the morning for Bagdogra airport (12.10 pm dep)

We will be a group of 9 and we would like to avoid hectic travel. The idea is to relax and enjoy the beauty in a relaxed way even if we don't cover all places. Of course that gives you the chance to plan the next trip.

Please suggest places to visit and climate to expect. The plan can be tweaked without changing the number of days.
Day 2 : Tiger hill in the morning , visit the zoo if you have kids travelling with you , else relax at the mall.

Day 4 : You can hire a jeep to Nathula pass and back.

Day 5 : Gangtok local site-seeing including Kanchenjunga view points and Rumtek Monastery.
Old 14th March 2013, 16:12   #57
BHPian

Thanks black_panther
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:48   #58
BHPian

I have an extra day. Now we will be leaving only on day 7. Where to spend the extra day Darjeeling/Gangtok/any other place.

We are not keen on north Sikkim tour this time.
Old 8th April 2013, 13:42   #59
BHPian

Hello - I have planned my holiday to Sikkim in the first week of May. Hotels and Flights are done. Only remaining part is the local transport for siteseeing and Airport drop.

Does anyone knows a good / reliable cab operator or travel agency who can provide VFM services? If so, could you please pass on their contact numbers to me.

Thanks a lot in advance. Cheers!
Old 10th April 2013, 10:15   #60
BHPian

I managed to get hold of one cab operator for Sikkim siteseeing. He is quoting me Rs 8000 for a day trip to Nathu La Pass + Baba Mandir + Tsango Lake. This is for 1st week of May. When asked the rationale behind this rate, he mentioned of 'high season'! Any idea if this rate is reasonable?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks