Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 22:41   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Rameshwaram next month. I can see two routes:

1. Bangalore - Madurai - Rameshwaram
2. Bangalore - Trichy - Rameshwaram

The 1st trip seems to be the conventional trip.
I am looking for advice on route via Trichy. This seems to be a much shorter route.
How is the road condition on Trichy route?Any advice on this route would be appreciated.
Any must see in the Trichy route?

Thanks,
Jyoti
recker_us is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2010, 09:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Hi,

I am planning a trip to Rameshwaram next month. I can see two routes:

1. Bangalore - Madurai - Rameshwaram
2. Bangalore - Trichy - Rameshwaram

The 1st trip seems to be the conventional trip.
I am looking for advice on route via Trichy. This seems to be a much shorter route.
How is the road condition on Trichy route?Any advice on this route would be appreciated.
Any must see in the Trichy route?

Thanks,
Jyoti
Conventional route via Madurai is definitely better. The route is not that longer. I guess about a difference of 40-50 Km plus you get the luxury of NH7 till Madurai. NH49 from Madurai is also in a decent state. I had 2-3 years back and I don't remember any 4L working happening here. Not sure what is the status now.

On the other route, road till Trichy is through Musiri, for which you will need to go till Namakkal on NH7 and then turn. From Trichy its the NH210. I am not sure of the status of this NH, which goes via Karaikudi to Rameshwaram. Never been through it, as mostly during temple visits, one does not bypass Madurai . Its always Rameshwaram, Madurai Trichy. It falls in a nice loop as well.

Last edited by ampere : 25th February 2010 at 09:12.
Old 25th February 2010, 09:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

The best route is NH7 to Madurai via Salem, Namakkal, Karur and Dindigul. Superfast. You can be in Madurai in 5 hours if you too are a superfast driver. You do not even have to enter Madurai city, you can exit onto NH49 (Rameswaram road) at the end of Madurai bypass. NH49 to Rameswaram has some bad sections, but is generally a fast and comfortable drive. You can plan to reach Rameswaram early evening if you leave Bangalore in the morning.

Trichy road - may be short, but the optimal route is not necessarily the shortest!
As far as the Karur-Trichy road is concerned, NH67 is in a very bad shape currently. In case you are bent of taking the route via Trichy, then you can go off NH7 at Namakkal itself and take the SH to Musiri and thereon Trichy. But it is pointless to go via Trichy.
Old 25th February 2010, 09:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The best route is NH7 to Madurai via Salem, Namakkal, Karur and Dindigul. Superfast.
+1. Yes. The roads should be with lesser deviations now compared to my previous trips couple of months ago I guess. But well worth it.

Enjoy, and have a safe trip.
Old 25th February 2010, 09:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
+1. Yes. The roads should be with lesser deviations now compared to my previous trips couple of months ago I guess. But well worth it.

Enjoy, and have a safe trip.
NH7 to Madurai is 100% complete now, all flyovers and bypasses over, including the one at Madurai. I did the Attibele-Madurai drive last month - 400 kms in 4.45 hrs, it can't get better than that.
Old 25th February 2010, 10:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NH7 to Madurai is 100% complete now, all flyovers and bypasses over, including the one at Madurai. I did the Attibele-Madurai drive last month - 400 kms in 4.45 hrs, it can't get better than that.
Wow, thats a great news. I have been waiting for this. Hope to make a trip to Madurai soon.

Btw, Toll statistics please
Old 25th February 2010, 11:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Tolls:
Krishnagiri (Hosur-Krishnagiri), Rs 25
Toppur (Dharmapuri-Toppur), Rs 48
Omalur (Omalur-Salem), Rs 34
Rasampalayam (Namakkal-Karur), Rs 29
Velanchettiyur (Karur-Dindigul), Rs 54
Kodai Road (Dindigul-Madurai), Rs 37

Totalling Rs 227
Distance of 405 kms from Attibele to beginning of Madurai bypass
Old 25th February 2010, 11:13   #8
Team-BHP Support

Only issue (which only I seem to be harping about ) is the food. After Salem I dont see a good hotel on these highways.
Old 25th February 2010, 11:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Only issue (which only I seem to be harping about ) is the food. After Salem I dont see a good hotel on these highways.
Correct , I suffered from this when I went to Kannyakumari. And the Trichy road from Namakkal is not a good idea, went to Trichy in December and single lane road with lots of trucks driving on the middle of the road., take madurai route and it will be faster.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
And the Trichy road from Namakkal is not a good idea, went to Trichy in December and single lane road with lots of trucks driving on the middle of the road., take madurai route and it will be faster.
To go to Trichy, this is the only good route available now - roads are good (last week's update) compared with NH67 from Karur. That is, Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy (on north bank of Kaveri), instead of Karur-Musiri-Trichy (on south bank of Kaveri)
Old 25th February 2010, 12:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Update from last week : There is a new hotel (Valluvar) coming up after karur, i.e, exactly 20kms from Karur near Thadakovil. I guess it will open in another 1 month or so. I will keep you posted. Their food quality is decent and at nominal price.

Quote:
HVK sir, Bridge near Samayanallur is not complete till now, have to go in pathetic, multi-holed road for around 1km till you get Madurai bye-pass. Is it not? But, you can forgive this section for dream drive till Samayanallur and afterwards till Thirumangalam.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
[b]
HVK sir, Bridge near Samayanallur is not complete till now, have to go in pathetic, multi-holed road for around 1km till you get Madurai bye-pass. Is it not? But, you can forgive this section for dream drive till Samayanallur and afterwards till Thirumangalam.
That incomplete section is on the road leading from the bypass into Madurai city. The bypass istelf starts before Samayanallur and goes till before Tirumangalam, and is complete in all respects, for those who do not want to go into Madurai city.

BTW, I also saw a Hotel Fantasy (no reviews though) 28 kms after crossing Dindigul and 22 kms before the Madurai bypass starts.
Old 29th July 2010, 15:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has an idea on how to bypass Madurai on the way back from Rameshwaram to Bangalore?

I'm doing Bangalore to Madurai and then from Madurai to Rameshwaram. On the way back I'm gonna do Rameshswaram - Bangalore in one go. So I don't want to get into Madurai at all.

Also any decent accomodation tips in Rameshwaram?

Thanks folks.
Old 29th July 2010, 17:20   #14
Team-BHP Support

I remember HVK saying all the by-passes are complete. NH7 is very clean now.
HVK Any updates?
Old 29th July 2010, 17:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the road to Madurai and from Madurai to Rameshwaram are all clear to me, thanks to the numerous updates we get on TBHP. I did study in Madurai so I know Mdu well enough.

I'm looking for getting back without going into Madurai. I'm sure I can figure it out when I am driving, but if I have any proper data, it would make life that much easier.

Is it easier to cut across town or take the outer ring road around till Tirumangalam and then take the 4 lane back to Bangalore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks