Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 09:46   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Over all I would say very much possible.

Take the Daiwik hotel. Its costlier no doubt, but surely worth the money I would say.

http://www.daiwikhotels.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You should be able to make it but be aware that temple closes at 12 or 12.30 pm and opens again at 4 or 4.30 pm (not sure about exact timings, please do check). If you can start at 3.30 am, it should give you some more buffer.
I haven't visited Tirumalai Nayak Palace.

If possible visit the Rameshwaram temple same evening so that next day (sunday) you can leave early morning to Dhanushkodi and start your journey to Trivandrum after breakfast. Early mornings are nice at Dhanushkodi, get a Jeep from the hotel/taxi stand.

Queen Palace is decent but don't remember the tariff (should be in my Madurai-Kanyakumari-Rameshwaram travelogue). Daiwik is newer and posh so you can splurge if you so wish.

I would suggest keeping the Chettinad region, Trichy, etc for another trip.
Instead you can visit Suchindram temple and Padmanabhapuram Palace on your way to Trivandrum (maybe you've visited these already if you're from that area ).
Thanks a lot for your inputs. Checked the Daiwik hotel but since it slightly above my budget especially since I hardly would get time to spend in the hotel. Will check out Queen Palace. Just need an AC room to spend the night.

I will skip Tirumalai Nayak Palace if it is not a must watch place. Have visited Suchindram and Padmanabhapuram palace. I will not be able to start at 3:30 AM. Will start at 4:30 AM. If I am unable to reach Madurai on time for Darshan, will skip it and visit Madurai during my next Trivandrum drive.
Old 6th November 2013, 14:53   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In that case you should be done with Darshan by say 1-2PM at max.
Quote:
You should be able to make it but be aware that temple closes at 12 or 12.30 pm and opens again at 4 or 4.30 pm

I would suggest keeping the Chettinad region, Trichy, etc for another trip.
Quote:
The Stay
So, I called a friend who recommended Hotel Metropole which unlike Supreme, New College House, etc was not so close to the temple and city centre but still a good choice and had basement parking.
Since I have 2 weeks off during Christmas, decided to stay 1 day in Madurai. Otherwise the schedule looks too tight also considering the Christmas rush to Kerala. Do you have any idea of decent hotels in Madurai near the temple. Budget < 2K per night. Safe car parking inside the hotel premise in Mandatory.
How is Hotel Metropole?

Also, can I drive via Chettinad region to Rameshwaram the next day. Just to see some Chettinad mansions? If yes, how is the road condition and route?
Old 6th November 2013, 15:06   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Since I have 2 weeks off during Christmas, decided to stay 1 day in Madurai. Otherwise the schedule looks too tight also considering the Christmas rush to Kerala. Do you have any idea of decent hotels in Madurai near the temple. Budget < 2K per night. Safe car parking inside the hotel premise in Mandatory.
How is Hotel Metropole?
Metropole is good. But no idea about parking.

Quote:
Also, can I drive via Chettinad region to Rameshwaram the next day. Just to see some Chettinad mansions? If yes, how is the road condition and route?
Roads are very good. I was reading some where on the forum that NH210 has been patched up quite well. So you can Madurai-Tirupathur-Karaikudi-Ramnad-Rameshwaram.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 22:39   #109
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any idea of decent hotels in Madurai near the temple. Budget < 2K per night. Safe car parking inside the hotel premise in Mandatory.
How is Hotel Metropole?
Metropole is good but not close to the temple (not too far about 10 mins drive into the town). Tariff was 2400 for a double a/c room (including breakfast) when we stayed there. Parking is available in the basement for about 5-6 cars. The road outside one side of the property has a lot of parking space (it's a corner property just opp. Muthaiah Manram/District Court).

If you stay here, getting to the Rameshwaram highway NH49 is very easy since it's just about 1km away from the ring road/NH49 junction.

For the temple visit, I would suggest using an auto/taxi, it's worth it since you don't have to worry about parking (& finding a spot!) in the narrow streets around the temple.

Other good hotels in the business areas and closer to the temple are Supreme (they have a separate parking area opp./beside to the hotel building), New College House, etc.

Last edited by NPV : 6th November 2013 at 22:44.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 10:09   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Roads are very good. I was reading some where on the forum that NH210 has been patched up quite well. So you can Madurai-Tirupathur-Karaikudi-Ramnad-Rameshwaram.
Quote:

Other good hotels in the business areas and closer to the temple are Supreme (they have a separate parking area opp./beside to the hotel building), New College House, etc.

I have booked Hotel North Gate, Madurai http://www.hotelnorthgate.co.in/ as they have car parking withing their premises. It is Opposite to American College, Goripalayam. Which is the easier way to reach this place while coming from Bangalore?

Also, since I do not plan to have Darshan in Madurai before 12:00 Noon, I can reach Madurai leisurely to be able to do Darshan at 4:00 - 5:00 PM aftering checking in to the Hotel. So can I drive via Karaikudi to Madurai? If yes, which is the good route and how is the road condition?

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th December 2013, 12:11   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So can I drive via Karaikudi to Madurai? If yes, which is the good route and how is the road condition?
Madurai-Melur-Tirupattur-Karaikudi

Take the 4-lane Trichy Road to Melur. At Melur take the Tirupattur road and there on to Karaikudi.

Also since you would be going via Tirupattur side, you can also try to visit the Pilliyarpatti temple. Its a beasutiful temple to visit.
Old 19th December 2013, 13:34   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Madurai-Melur-Tirupattur-Karaikudi

Take the 4-lane Trichy Road to Melur. At Melur take the Tirupattur road and there on to Karaikudi.

Also since you would be going via Tirupattur side, you can also try to visit the Pilliyarpatti temple. Its a beasutiful temple to visit.

So while going from Bangalore, should I go via Trichy?
Bangalore - Salem - Namakkal -(Thuraiyur?)-Trichy - Karaikudi - Tirupattur - Melur - Madurai?
Old 19th December 2013, 14:47   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So while going from Bangalore, should I go via Trichy?
Bangalore - Salem - Namakkal -(Thuraiyur?)-Trichy - Karaikudi - Tirupattur - Melur - Madurai?
Thats really a round about. I thought while going from Madurai via towards Rameshwaram, you wanted to go via Karaikudi. Visiting Karaikudi and coming back to Madurai does not make sense. May be start early the next day and drive to Rameshwaram via Karaikudi.

Quote:
That was the initial plan but wanted to reach Rameshwaram fast. So Bangalore - Karikudi - Madurai is not feasible?

The point is, you wont be able to visit anything and also come back to Madurai. That would be quite a rush. You need to stay in Karaikudi for a day to enjoy the Chettinad cuisine.

BTW shortest route to Karaikudi is :

Salem-Dindigul-Nattam-Tirupattur-Karaikudi.

You get into Dindigul town and ask for the Nattam road. The road via Nattam goes to Tirupattur cutting NH45 some where beyond Melur.

Route Link

Last edited by ampere : 19th December 2013 at 15:12.
Old 19th December 2013, 14:55   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats really a round about. I thought while going from Madurai via towards Rameshwaram, you wanted to go via Karaikudi. Visiting Karaikudi and coming back to Madurai does not make sense. May be start early the next day and drive to Rameshwaram via Karaikudi.
That was the initial plan but wanted to reach Rameshwaram fast. So Bangalore - Karikudi - Madurai is not feasible?

Quote:
Ok.. In that case I will think of driving via Karaikudi to Rameshwaram if time permits. The point is that I want to leave Rameshwaram early so that I can cover Nagercoil - trivandrum before peak traffic. For this, I have to finish Rameshwaram and Dhanushkodi on the day I arrive in Rameshwaram.

Last edited by pramodpk : 19th December 2013 at 15:22.
Old 19th December 2013, 15:17   #115
BHPian

team,

How is the road to Rameswaram? I read a travelogue on the forum about two days back, looks like the roads are good.
Any latest updates would be of great help.

Tentatively planned for mid nextweek:
Bangalore-> Erode-> thiruchendur-> rameswaram -> trichy-> namakkal->
erode-> Bangalore

Well, i need to go to Ramswaram, thiruchendur, and Trichy. So thought it of doing it this way:

erode-> Bangalore

If there is a better route\order of covering the places, please suggest.

thanks much.

Last edited by deadguy25 : 19th December 2013 at 15:19.
Old 19th December 2013, 17:30   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Well, i need to go to Ramswaram, thiruchendur, and Trichy. So thought it of doing it this way:

erode-> Bangalore

Why Erode? Thats out of way.

Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy-

Trichy-Melur-Sivagangai--Illayanagudi-Paramakudi-Ramnad-Rameshwaram

Rameshwaram-Ramnad-Tiruchendur-Turicorin-Madurai-Bangalore
Old 20th December 2013, 13:30   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Why Erode? Thats out of way.

Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy-

Trichy-Melur-Sivagangai--Illayanagudi-Paramakudi-Ramnad-Rameshwaram

Rameshwaram-Ramnad-Tiruchendur-Turicorin-Madurai-Bangalore

Great. Will do it this way then. Thanks a ton Amp.
Old 4th February 2014, 09:49   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should be able to make it
Quote:
Thanks a lot for your inputs. I did this trip and here are the details.
pramodpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 00:15   #119
BHPian

Next week planning to drive to Rameshwaram, from Bangalore.

I am looking for info on good diesel pump to around Madurai or ramanathapuram. VW cars are sensitive to diesel quality hence the need to know where to fill.

The route planned is Bangalore(start at 5PM) --> Salem --> Karur(night halt)--> Madurai--> Manamadurai --> Ramanathapuram --> Rameshwaram.
Old 28th April 2014, 01:28   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
I am looking for info on good diesel pump to around Madurai or ramanathapuram. VW cars are sensitive to diesel quality hence the need to know where to fill.

The route planned is Bangalore(start at 5PM) --> Salem --> Karur(night halt)--> Madurai--> Manamadurai --> Ramanathapuram --> Rameshwaram.
There is a BP Ghar at Vadipatti, some 50 km before Madurai. You could drive unto Madurai, stay somewhere in the Northern part of Madurai (like Hotel Metropole for example) and leave the next morning. Also looking at your start timing, you'll make it close to midnight in Madurai and its much easier to cross Madurai to the other side of town. Rameswaram road is much better accessible from the NH45B side than the NH7.

If NH210 is better these days, Dindigul-Natham-Tirupattur-Karaikudi-Devipatnam-Ramnad-Rameswaram is a good route too. It will save you the hassle of Madurai traffic.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks