Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2017, 12:05   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post

So what is the normal procedure? You get theerth snan first, go back and change dress and return for darshan?
Is darshan allowed with wet clothes?
Or are both these in different places?
AFAIK, darshan is not allowed with wet clothes. The queue for darshan is different (mostly inside temple during weekdays) and queue for 22 well theerth snan is outside.

Here is my recommendation.
Complete the ash immersing and related rituals first and take a dip in ocean.
( it may not be neat and clean BTW, so keep lower expectations).
Then go for 22 well theerth snan within the temple complex. Go back to hotel room, change the clothes, finish breakfast or so and then revisit the temple again for darshan.

Please note most part of the temple will be wet and sea sand will be all around, unlike other temples where the floor is usually dry. Just FYI.

Another tip: Don't take your car to goto Temple. The roads will be blocked with barricades. Park the car only in hotel and take Auto rickshaw to goto temple, wherever you are staying.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 10th October 2017 at 12:06.
ravib is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 17:11   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think you need permission from the check post if you have a 4 wheel drive and wish to drive to the ruins yourself in your own vehicle, otherwise for the ruins I'm guessing you'd still be better off hiring one of those vehicles (I haven't traveled after the new road extension was built).
No permissions required anymore! You can park on the road and visit the ruins.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th October 2017 at 23:20. Reason: Typo. Quote size edited.
babhishek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 14:30   #168
BHPian

Driving to Rameshwaram tonight halt tomorrow and then planning to go to Courtallam and stay there, any pointers on the best route from Rameshwaram to Courtallam please. Appears the route via Tuticorin would be more scenic

Also the plan is to drive from Courtallam next morning to Haripad, best route option there too would be appreciated.

Last edited by majumon : 17th October 2017 at 14:31. Reason: missed a point to be specific
Old 17th October 2017, 21:56   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Driving to Rameshwaram tonight halt tomorrow and then planning to go to Courtallam and stay there, any pointers on the best route from Rameshwaram to Courtallam please. Appears the route via Tuticorin would be more scenic
Rameshwaram-Ramnad-Sayalgudi-Ottapidaram-Tirunelveli-Tenkasi-Courtallam

Quote:
Also the plan is to drive from Courtallam next morning to Haripad, best route option there too would be appreciated.
Dont know much about this, but I guess it should be the standard : Thenmala-Punalur-Adoor route.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 16:23   #170
BHPian

Any updates on how bad the rains are in Rameshwaram? Scheduled to start on Monday. Hope the route too is clear
Old 4th November 2017, 18:26   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any updates on how bad the rains are in Rameshwaram? Scheduled to start on Monday. Hope the route too is clear
All coastal regions are receiving heavy rainfall as per news reports.
When i went last in January 2017 itself, there was very heavy rains and i got stuck in mega traffic jam and waiting in Pamban Bridge for 1+ hour. Thanks to crazy private bus and tempo traveller traffic who stupidly come in wrong side and create traffic jams in Pamban Bridge. And on top of it few people stop their vehicles for taking fotos.

My recommendation is if possible try to reschedule your trip, else drive slowly and carefully.

BTW, in case if you want to avoid sugar and try out Palm jaggery (called as panang Karupatti in Tamil), there are lot of good ones available enroute between Ramnad to Rameswaram. They sell it in bicycles or in small vans. I won't deny there are duplicates, but there are really good ones too. Try your luck, so that you can buy couple of kgs of palm jaggery which is more healthier and replaces polished white sugar.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 23:01   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NE monsoon has started and there is a low pressure off Srilanka due to which coastal and some interior TN towns are getting rainfall. As of now, delta towns like Nagapattinam, Tiruturaipoondi are getting heavy rainfall. Its cloudy, drizzle from people who are visiting Rameswaram today. Expect rains for sure, the intensity is unknown at the moment.

If your intention is temple visit, go ahead. But if you are planning on sunrise in Dhanushkodi, you'll be disappointed and its better to replan in mid-December or later in that case.

Budget more time than the norm for your drive due to the rains.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 11:10   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
When i went last in January 2017 itself, there was very heavy rains and i got stuck in mega traffic jam and waiting in Pamban Bridge for 1+ hour.

BTW, in case if you want to avoid sugar and try out Palm jaggery (called as panang Karupatti in Tamil), there are lot of good ones available enroute between Ramnad to Rameswaram. They sell it in bicycles or in small vans. I won't deny there are duplicates, but there are really good ones too. Try your luck, so that you can buy couple of kgs of palm jaggery which is more healthier and replaces polished white sugar.

-Ravi
I never knew Pamban gets jammed. Last I went about 20 years back as a child and I remember a smooth ride.
And thanks for the info on Palm jaggery. tried multiple times moving to jaggery but yet to stick to it. Will keep an eye for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Its cloudy, drizzle from people who are visiting Rameswaram today. Expect rains for sure, the intensity is unknown at the moment.

If your intention is temple visit, go ahead. But if you are planning on sunrise in Dhanushkodi, you'll be disappointed and its better to replan in mid-December or later in that case.

Budget more time than the norm for your drive due to the rains.
Temple visit is the reason we are going. Dhanushkodi may be added to the program based on weather.
Old 14th December 2017, 11:41   #174
BHPian

Planning to visit Rameswaram next week, google maps shows the route via Tiruchirappalli, Pudukkottai, Karaikkudi with 1 hour advantage over Madurai route.

Can any fellow FM advise which route is best and why route suggested by google map is less preferred.

I will be travelling with wife and two kids, onward journey from rameswarma planned via Madurai.

Note: Request mods to delete the duplicate post in another thread, sorry for the error
Old 14th December 2017, 12:37   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Planning to visit Rameswaram next week, google maps shows the route via Tiruchirappalli, Pudukkottai, Karaikkudi with 1 hour advantage over Madurai route.

Can any fellow FM advise which route is best and why route suggested by google map is less preferred.
After the widening of Trichy-Karaikudi, it is actually the preferred route. Go via Madurai only if you have to visit Madurai temples. Stay in North Madurai (like KK Nagar, Court areas), or leave early morning if staying on the other side of the town.

Please don't take the Madurai Ring Road, there's lot of ongoing construction activity for the 4-laning and all recent feedback suggest to avoid.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 12:41   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Advantage with Karaikudi route is that you can avoid work in progress section between Madurai - Ramanathapuram. Tiruchirappalli - Pudukottai - Karaikudi is a beautiful 2 lane highway.

Not sure about Karur - Tiruchirapalli though. However, I don't think there will be a difference of 1 hour between both route since Bangalore - Madurai is a fast 4 /6 lane stretch.

I had done this route last month through Madurai and didn't find any section which is bothersome.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 13:29   #177
BHPian

I am planning family vacation this weekend [08-Feb till 13-Feb]. The Itinerary is:

Day 1 : Bangalore to Rameshwaram
Day 2 : Rameshwaram sight seeing including Dhanuskodi
Day 3 : Rameshwaram to Kanyakumari
Day 4 : Kanyakumari
Day 5 : Kanyakumari to Madurai
Day 6: Madurai to Bangalore

Please suggest good route for this journey and good places to stay and visit.
Old 6th February 2018, 15:26   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKD View Post
I am planning family vacation this weekend [08-Feb till 13-Feb]. The Itinerary is:

Day 1 : Bangalore to Rameshwaram
Day 2 : Rameshwaram sight seeing including Dhanuskodi
Day 3 : Rameshwaram to Kanyakumari
Day 4 : Kanyakumari
Day 5 : Kanyakumari to Madurai
Day 6: Madurai to Bangalore

Please suggest good route for this journey and good places to stay and visit.
Bangalore to Madurai via NH7 and then the SH to Rameswaram via Ramnad is the best option

You can refer my travelogue on the list of places to be seen in Rameswaram and Kanyakumari

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 07:56   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
After the widening of Trichy-Karaikudi, it is actually the preferred route. Go via Madurai only if you have to visit Madurai temples. Stay in North Madurai (like KK Nagar, Court areas), or leave early morning if staying on the other side of the town.

Please don't take the Madurai Ring Road, there's lot of ongoing construction activity for the 4-laning and all recent feedback suggest to avoid.
Visiting the Tirunelveli area on the weekend of Apr 29th. Would like to visit some waterfalls and bathe under the waterfall. Say Courtallam or Agasthiyar, etc.

Is there water there this time if the year?
Old 24th April 2018, 23:40   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Visiting the Tirunelveli area on the weekend of Apr 29th. Would like to visit some waterfalls and bathe under the waterfall. Say Courtallam or Agasthiyar, etc.

Is there water there this time if the year?
Chances are less, but still you can check with any hotels there.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks