Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2019, 08:41   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Rameshwaram from Bangalore
Should i follow Google maps.
Only deviation from GMaps is bypassing Madurai. You'll have to continue all the way till Kappalur (4 km before Tirumangalam), take the Madurai ring road (which is mostly 4-laned now). Rameswaram exit is at 23rd km from the time you exit at Kappalur. After this its a no brainer.

I am able to download Lalu's kml too, are you not?
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:03   #242
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Have planned to close the year with a trip to the land's end. Itinerary goes like this

Bangalore - Madurai (2 nights)
Madurai - Rameshwaram (3 nights)
Rameshwaram - Trichy (1 night)
Trichy - Bangalore

Need suggestions on
1. Good breakfast/lunch places in the Blr - madurai stretch
2. Places to visit in madurai & Trichy
3. Main attractions in Dhanushkodi.
4. Any alternative routes to take/avoid in between these destinations.

How are the road conditions beyond Krishnagiri? Will be travelling with our 2 yr old in our beloved i20. Have done most of my trips towards the Krishnagiri - Ambur - Vellore side. Hence no idea about the road conditions on the stretch towards Madurai/rameshwaram.

Thanks in Advance..!!
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:17   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Ro@dSt@r View Post
Hello Folks,

Have planned to close the year with a trip to the land's end. Itinerary goes like this

Bangalore - Madurai (2 nights)
Madurai - Rameshwaram (3 nights)
Rameshwaram - Trichy (1 night)
Trichy - Bangalore

Need suggestions on
1. Good breakfast/lunch places in the Blr - madurai stretch
2. Places to visit in madurai & Trichy
3. Main attractions in Dhanushkodi.
4. Any alternative routes to take/avoid in between these destinations.

How are the road conditions beyond Krishnagiri? Will be travelling with our 2 yr old in our beloved i20. Have done most of my trips towards the Krishnagiri - Ambur - Vellore side. Hence no idea about the road conditions on the stretch towards Madurai/rameshwaram.

Thanks in Advance..!!
In Madurai, you can visit Meenakshi Amman, Koodal Azhagar and Kal Azhagar temples. In Trichy you can visit Malaikottai (Rockfort), Srirangam and Samayapuram.
You get to see ruins of Dhanushkodi town that was devastated by cyclone in 1964. Dont miss the train journey over the Indian Ocean from Rameswaram to Mandapam station.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 19:11   #244
BHPian

Will be helpfull for Folks who are planning to travel in this stretch, Krishnagiri - Salem is totally choked and it good 3.5 hrs to cover that distance. All thanks to the fast tag implementation at the tolls. Beyond salem, it is a breeze. Pls plan accordingly
Old 29th December 2019, 08:54   #245
BHPian

Drove back from Rameswaram to Bangalore on 28 dec. Started at 9 am from the resort, and reached home at 7.15 PM, 570 km end to end. Roads are excellent throughout, I took the shorter route via Trichy road to Namakkal, and had a lunch break at the A2B there. Google suggested route was via Madurai, which was about 50 KM longer, and same time, plus driving on a boring highway. I prefer the scenic TN SH's more, with their nice road surface, green canopy, scenic views and low traffic.
Google maps took us through some inner lanes in Salem, after taking the left turn for the Bypass near a flyover construction area. Am not sure if that is the correct routing , because most vehicles did NOT follow us, on that route, only a couple of cars did, they also seemed to be on Gmap. It was very narrow in most places.
Old 29th December 2019, 09:32   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragpatankar View Post
Google maps took us through some inner lanes in Salem, after taking the left turn for the Bypass near a flyover construction area. Am not sure if that is the correct routing , because most vehicles did NOT follow us, on that route, only a couple of cars did, they also seemed to be on Gmap. It was very narrow in most places.
Yes that was a detour which gmaps is showing as some one has marked that road as closed I drove back from trichy to blr on 27 and decided to double check with a Traffic police for exact routes for BLR and he showed the straight highways. Anyone who is driving this route, ignore gmaps for that detour. The road is absolutely fine and it will save u atleast 30 - 45 mins of ur travel.
Old 3rd January 2020, 10:04   #247
BHPian

Guys, I did Bangalore(Baiyappanahalli ) to Rameshwaram and back.

Roads are beautiful, followed the Google maps,

Came via Madurai while returning.
dsnaveen21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 09:14   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Guys, I did Bangalore(Baiyappanahalli ) to Rameshwaram and back.

Roads are beautiful, followed the Google maps,

Came via Madurai while returning.
How's the road from Madurai to Rameshwaram ? Is the four lane work over ?
Old 6th January 2020, 09:59   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
How's the road from Madurai to Rameshwaram ? Is the four lane work over ?
I travelled from Bangalore to Rameshwaram.
Rameshwaram to Madurai and Madurai to Bangalore.

All roads are 3 lanes or 2 lanes. All roads are beautiful.
dsnaveen21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 13:27   #250

Hello,
I am planning a solo day trip to Rameshwaram and Dhanushkodi next week. Would reach Dhanushkodi by train at 7am on Wednesday and leave around 7pm by train, the same day.
I would like to enquire if there are govt. buses which would take me from Rameshwaram railway station to Dhanushkodi land's end and the old town. How frequent are these buses and do they require prior booking? Also, do i need a permit or permission from any authority to visit land's end? Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Souvik
Old 12th February 2020, 07:17   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suavesouvik View Post
I am planning a solo day trip to Rameshwaram and Dhanushkodi next week. Would reach Dhanushkodi by train at 7am on Wednesday and leave around 7pm by train, the same day.

Seems like a difficult and hectic option. If its only day you also need to account the time you may need to visit the temples.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 10:50   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Seems like a difficult and hectic option. If its only day you also need to account the time you may need to visit the temples.
It really wouldn't be hectic for me, since I would be sleeping during the overnight train ride. My priorities would be the train journey over Panbam bridge and Dhanushkodi. I would only visit the temples if there is time.

Thus, I just need information on the availability of buses to Land's end and the old town, from Rameshwaram station, as well as whether a permit is required.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:39   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suavesouvik View Post
It really wouldn't be hectic for me, since I would be sleeping during the overnight train ride. My priorities would be the train journey over Panbam bridge and Dhanushkodi. I would only visit the temples if there is time.

Thus, I just need information on the availability of buses to Land's end and the old town, from Rameshwaram station, as well as whether a permit is required.
I didn't remember taking any permit when I visited the land's end in dec last year. So you should not be worried about it. I really saw a lot of buses plying in between the bus stand and dhanushkodi. Not sure about the availability from the railway station.
You might have to plan your visit to temple and dhanushkodi without buffers to avoid missing your train. I would suggest do the trip to dhanushkodi in the morning as soon as you reach rameshwaram n then do the temple visit by 2:30 or 3 and you should ideally be done with the darshan in 45 mins, provided there are no holy/auspicious days.
Hope this helps.

Mod Note: Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th January 2021 at 08:15.
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 21:25   #254
BHPian

Did a Bangalore-Dhanushkodi trip during the Pongal weekend.

Route information:
Took the Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal- Dindigul-Madurai bypass-Ramanathapuram-Mandapam-Dhanushkodi route. Roads are in excellent condition- both 4 lanes and 2 lanes.
FASTag definitely helped reduce travel time. Couple of observations:
• Scanners are not working properly in all toll booths leading to delay
• Was a bit surprised to see long queues in the cash section. Lot of folks yet to switch to FASTag.
It was “raining” barricades all through the route. Had couple of close calls. One has to be extremely careful as some barricades are at steep turns.
While dogs and cows were a common sight on the road, number of goats on the Mandapam-Ramanathapuram stretch was a surprise.

Food options:
Breakfast – Multiple options – Shri Krishna Inn, Murugan Idli, Saravana Bhavan
Lunch – Dindigul Thalappakatti Restaurant https://goo.gl/maps/VduUCH6DLhzALCFe8

Took the same route back. Overall, a pleasant and relaxing drive.
Old 18th January 2021, 07:47   #255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetank View Post
Did a Bangalore-Dhanushkodi trip during the Pongal weekend.
How has the road work progress between Madurai and Rameshwaram? Any signs of completion?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks