Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2013, 18:30   #91
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

I'm planning a drive to Rameshwaram this weekend. Gurus, please advice on the route and the road condition.
Tentative Plan is
Start from Bangalore on the early morning of Saturday(3.00AM)
Will have to start the return journey on Sunday afternoon. Have to be back at work on Monday post lunch.

Please advice

Thanks
Ravi
Old 30th May 2013, 18:54   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
I'm planning a drive to Rameshwaram this weekend. Gurus, please advice on the route and the road condition.
Tentative Plan is
Will have to start the return journey on Sunday afternoon. Have to be back at work on Monday post lunch.

Please advice

Thanks
Ravi
Route is very straight forward:

Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Madurai-Manamadurai-Ramnad-Rameshwaram

If you start at 3AM, you should be in Salem by about 5:30.
Salem-Madurai another 4 hours at 4-lane speeds (~250km, which includes the route for Madurai bypass via Tirumangalam and Airport).

Its another 170km from there to Rameshwaram on decent 2-lane roads.
That should take another 3-4 hours.

All this is drive time. Add time for BF and lunch. By late noon you should be in Rameshwaram.
Old 30th May 2013, 23:01   #93
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tentative Plan is
As Ampere has mentioned, you should be able to reach by late afternoon.
At Madurai, don't enter the town at Samayanallur junction, instead proceed further on the NH7 highway upto Tirumanagalam junction where you need to turn left towards the Airport (ring road). Go past the Airport junction on this road and you will reach the NH49 towards Ramanthapuram/Rameswaram. Nice 2 laned (undivided) roads all the way.
And don't miss a visit to Dhanushkodi which is about 20Km from Rameshwaram, you can hire a jeep at the hotel or Taxi stand in Rameshwaram. Enjoy the trip!

Last edited by NPV : 30th May 2013 at 23:03.
Old 2nd June 2013, 15:29   #94
BHPian

@npv and @ampere,

thank you very much for the advice. at rameshwaram now and abt to start the return journey. wonderful place it is
Old 3rd June 2013, 21:26   #95
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@npv and @ampere,

thank you very much for the advice. at rameshwaram now and abt to start the return journey. wonderful place it is
Could you share the details of road conditions, your route, timings, etc ? That would help others. Where did you stay and did you visit Dhanushkodi ? I'm particularly interested in the timings part since you had a pretty tight schedule, leaving Bangalore on a Saturday morning and starrting the return journey to Bangalore on Sunday noon

Last edited by NPV : 3rd June 2013 at 21:27.
Old 5th June 2013, 15:01   #96
BHPian

@NPV, All,

Sorry for the delayed response. It truly was hectic for the lone driver for the entire journey. This was more of a spiritual trip with a purpose than visiting the places

ROUTE : Bangalore -> Nerur -> Madurai -> Rameshwaram -> Dhanushkodi -> Bangalore

Started from Bangalore at 6.30AM in the morning and got stuck near Hosur for close to 2 hrs due to trucks that were not moving/break-down

Took break-fast @Kamath after Hosur and the next stop was @Nerur to visit Sadashiva Bramhendra Samadhi. We were here about an hour.

The road from Hosur/Bangalore to Krishnagiri is not good due to the six lane work and it is very difficult achieve good speeds and cover the distance

Start the journey to Madurai around 2.00PM and then were at Madurai temple at 5.30-5.45PM. Here struggled a bit to get the guidance for parking place and the GPS navigation was not very friendly.

Meenakshi temple is wonderful place and truly thought that it would need at least 2-3 days to visit the places in/around Madurai.

Left Madurai at 8.30PM after dinner and drove to Rameshwaram. the only stop we took was for a gas re-fill near Ramanathapuram. Reached Rameshwaram at 11.30 and stayed at Kumaran's deluxe lodge next to the temple.

The next day morning started at 4.30AM for Samudra snanam and then we took the theertha snanam before visiting Lord Rameshwara. The Darshan was amazing and we could stand in front of the lord for couple of minutes as we were the first to be there in the queue and other were catching up the speed.

After finishing break-fast at 8.00, drove to Dhanushkodi and the drive till the point is good. At this point, grouped with other families that were around and we all booked a van to take us to the Sangam/Ramasethu point. We reached Sangam at 9.45-10..00AM.
This is a must see place if someone visits Rameshwaram or Madurai. We enjoyed this place very much.
We were back at the hotel around 12 noon. I was drained completely by then due to no sleep and continuous drive, took rest at the hotel.

At 4.00PM, our return journey started, I could reach Madurai in 2.30hrs but again here mobile GPS navigation guided us to go inside the Madurai city and lost about an hour time of driving and the fatigue caused the rest of the journey to be slow.

Finally managed to reach home at 3.00AM on Monday early morning.

Road condition: The road condition is very good from Krishnagiri to Madurai and Madurai Rameshwaram stretch is also very good except few rough patches.

NOTE: The drive was on my Palio GTX which has done 110K kms. with 4 people and luggage on board I was able to reach very decent speeds till 140kms with LPG as the fuel. As always, my baby stood strong against all odds on the road and must have given way only to a couple of cars/SUVs while driving

Thanks
Ravi

I'm very poor at writing blogs. Please do feel free to post any questions/suggestions you may have

Last edited by ravikn : 5th June 2013 at 15:03.
Old 5th June 2013, 15:13   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm very poor at writing blogs. Please do feel free to post any questions/suggestions you may have
- Instead of 6:30 if you were on road by 3:30/4AM you would have cleared Hosur in minutes. Only after 4AM I think the truck traffic menace starts.
- This part HAS TO BE practiced at all costs, if you need to avoid Hosur madness.
- Else there is no alternative. There are some interior roads via Kelamangalam/Rayakottai/Palacode, but not worth it if you stick to timings.

For Rameshwaram road (NH49) to NH7 bypass:

- While coming from Rameshwaram when you hit Trichy road (Nh45B), turn left and dont go into the city
- Drive around Airport till you SIPCOT which is north of Tirumangalam and you are on NH7
- Similarly the opposite when coming from NH7 and wanting to go to Rameshwaram road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 17:32   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Instead of 6:30 if you were on road by 3:30/4AM you would have cleared Hosur in minutes. Only after 4AM I think the truck traffic menace starts.
- This part HAS TO BE practiced at all costs, if you need to avoid Hosur madness.
Thank you very much for the information. I shall keep this in mind all the time. This was an short notice/unplanned trip. Hope to do it better next time

Best Regards
Ravi
Old 22nd August 2013, 17:38   #99

We (husband wife with 2 daughters 8 & 4 years old) plan to drive from Bangalore (Whitefield) to Poovar and return via Kochi. I wanted advice on the route, road conditions along with suggestions on places to stop for meals. Any other places to see on these routes.
Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 20:15   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimsim View Post
We (husband wife with 2 daughters 8 & 4 years old) plan to drive from Bangalore (Whitefield) to Poovar and return via Kochi. I wanted advice on the route, road conditions along with suggestions on places to stop for meals. Any other places to see on these routes.
Thanks
Not sure of best option past Nagaercoil. But till then its a peaceful 4-lane drive.
Start by 4AM. Reach Salem at 7 and splurge for a breakfast at Grand Estancia or Park Plaza. Both are good and would give a nice break as well.

Continue past on 4-lane and you should cruise to Madurai/Tirumangalam in another 4 hours (250km)

Nagaercoil should be another 3 hours (200km).
Old 23rd August 2013, 07:04   #101

Quote:
Not sure of best option past Nagaercoil. But till then its a peaceful 4-lane drive.
Start by 4AM. Reach Salem at 7 and splurge for a breakfast at Grand Estancia or Park Plaza. Both are good and would give a nice break as well.

Continue past on 4-lane and you should cruise to Madurai/Tirumangalam in another 4 hours (250km)

Nagaercoil should be another 3 hours (200km).
Thanks Ampere, this is helpful indeed! Any tips on the return leg as well?
Old 23rd August 2013, 08:20   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimsim View Post
Thanks Ampere, this is helpful indeed! Any tips on the return leg as well?
Take the same route back I would say. Do note that South of Salem the options for Food are much lesser compared to ones available Between Salem-BLR.
(Unless of course you get into the towns)

It might be a good idea to pack some basic stuff just in case.
Old 22nd October 2013, 16:47   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Route is very straight forward:

Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Madurai-Manamadurai-Ramnad-Rameshwaram

I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
As Ampere has mentioned, you should be able to reach by late afternoon.
I want to visit Madurai and Rameshwaram during the Christmas vacation. Since I have to drive to Trivandrum, thought of visiting these places and reaching Trivandrum. The plan is to start at 4:30 AM on Dec 21st (Saturday) and reach Trivandrum after visiting Madurai and Rameshwaram.

I usually take around 6 hours to Madurai. Would it be possible to visit the temple, Thirumalai Nayak Palace (is it a must see place) and reach Rameshwaram on the same day (by 6:30 PM)?

Would it be possible to complete Rameshwaram and Dhanush kodi on Dec 22nd (Sunday) and reach Trivandrum on the same day? What is the best route? I am familiar with Nagercoil - Trivandrum stretch.

Also, could you also please suggest good accommodation in Rameshwaram (no frills AC room within 1500 - 2000 per night) with safe car parking (must) and at Madurai (if required).

Please feel free to suggest a better plan. The idea of the trip is not pilgrimage. If I need to extend the trip by a day, I would like to visit Karaikudi (Don't want to stay there as the options are too expensive for the facilities provided)

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:50   #104
Team-BHP Support

Over all I would say very much possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I usually take around 6 hours to Madurai. Would it be possible to visit the temple, Thirumalai Nayak Palace (is it a must see place) and reach Rameshwaram on the same day (by 6:30 PM)?
In that case you should be done with Darshan by say 1-2PM at max. When you start you should be at Rameshwaram by 6PM at max (180km @ 4 hours on a 2-lane. A conservative estimate)

Quote:
Would it be possible to complete Rameshwaram and Dhanush kodi on Dec 22nd (Sunday) and reach Trivandrum on the same day? What is the best route? I am familiar with Nagercoil - Trivandrum stretch.
Next day morning visit the temple say early morning and go to Dhanushkodi. You should hire a jeep. You should be back 10-11. Its about 22km one way I think.

Then is you start by noon, you should be in TVM by late evening.

Rameshwaram-Ramnad-Vembar-Tuticorin bypass- Tirunelveli bypass- And then you know the rest !

Quote:
Also, could you also please suggest good accommodation in Rameshwaram (no frills AC room within 1500 - 2000 per night) with safe car parking (must) and at Madurai (if required).

Please feel free to suggest a better plan. The idea of the trip is not pilgrimage. If I need to extend the trip by a day, I would like to visit Karaikudi (Don't want to stay there as the options are too expensive for the facilities provided)
Take the Daiwik hotel. Its costlier no doubt, but surely worth the money I would say.

http://www.daiwikhotels.com/
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 21:24   #105
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
You should be able to make it but be aware that temple closes at 12 or 12.30 pm and opens again at 4 or 4.30 pm (not sure about exact timings, please do check). If you can start at 3.30 am, it should give you some more buffer. If you start after lunch from Madurai you should be able to reach Rameshwaram in about 4 hours.
I haven't visited Tirumalai Nayak Palace.

Quote:
If possible visit the Rameshwaram temple same evening so that next day (sunday) you can leave early morning to Dhanushkodi and start your journey to Trivandrum after breakfast. Early mornings are nice at Dhanushkodi, get a Jeep from the hotel/taxi stand.

Quote:
Queen Palace is decent but don't remember the tariff (should be in my Madurai-Kanyakumari-Rameshwaram travelogue). Daiwik is newer and posh so you can splurge if you so wish.

Quote:
I would suggest keeping the Chettinad region, Trichy, etc for another trip.
Instead you can visit Suchindram temple and Padmanabhapuram Palace on your way to Trivandrum (maybe you've visited these already if you're from that area ).

Last edited by NPV : 22nd October 2013 at 21:29.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks