Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2010, 12:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
I love jaipur, It is for sure 1 of my retirement home destination.
Why ? I am lost on this one Ashish. I cannot imagine Jaipur as someone's retirement Destination. Dehradun I can understand. Well to each his own !! As Dhiraj says above - The grass is greener on the other side !

I like Kasauli, Nainital, Mc LeodGanj.
Old 16th March 2010, 12:54   #17
BHPian

They Dont have power, since it's a remote area,and not much population around to get the power lines to this area, according to the goverment.

Though, they will provide you with generator backup , from 7PM to 10PM.

As for the Kids, true, they would not enjoy the place much. But if your' a true nature lover, this is the place.

As, for Nainital, at this time, it's going to be really crowded,which beats the whole purpose of getting out of Delhi, since, Nainital, would be flooded by tourist, which can get quite annoying after a few days. So, the best bet is to keep moving, and see different places.

Anyways, even if you plan to visit Nainital, you can check our Family Resort, St.Leonards which is in one of the best locations of Naini, and we also have a resort in Ranikhet, if you go there.

Discounts for BHP'ins offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
I love jaipur, It is for sure 1 of my retirement home destination.

Shimla will be far more crowded then that of Nanital, but as you are moving up with family it might keep you entertained as well.

If you are going to Shimla, try getting a room at Hotel Holiday Home, HPTDC hotel. Very nice hotel with great facilities and nice food. I had been there last-to-last week only. HPTDC has got a booking office in Delhi, Staff being sarkari still is very very helpful and delightful.
Old 16th March 2010, 14:29   #18
BHPian

Hey lifeonwheels,

I always travel out on my wedding anniversaries and IMO this is one occasion when you want to spend some nice moments with your better-half away from the daily routine of urban life. I'd suggest you give all the regular and popular hill destinations a miss this time and head towards a quite, serene and offbeat destination.

I recommend the following two:

Park Woods, Shoghi: Park Woods is nice hilly resort with tents and cottages located at Shoghi, a small town approx 12 Kms before on your way to Shimla from Delhi. I've been there on one of my anniversaries and we truly enjoyed it. Calm atmosphere, no hush-hush, nice weather, cool breeze and what not.

What all you could do there? Watch the beautiful sunset; trek a bit to the nearest village; relax on a hammock or just sit outside your cottage/tent sipping tea, feeling the Mother Nature, talking talking and talking to each other (you know how much wives love talking )

You can also try your hands on the adventure activities/games the resort boasts of as in Spider Web, Rope Bridge, Tyre swing, Commando Net etc. I won Tyre swing and lost the rest to wifey. For more info, you may visit their website:

Park Woods Shoghi offbeat hill resort near Shimla, Himachal.

If you feel interested and need further information or would like to see my "Park Woods Album", let me know.

Himalayan Village: Located at Sonapani in Uttaranchal, this is again a quite & serene place. The show is run by a married couple and has fewer cottages. Though I've not been there, one of my friends spent his honeymoon there and have been singing its praises. Here's the website:

himalayan village sonapani

Bon Voyage !! Do post a travelogue once you are back.
Old 16th March 2010, 17:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeonwheels View Post
Would've loved to Narkanda but the only problem is that it will be tiring for the baby and for my wife as well since she would be handling him all the time and since it's a 2-3 days trip i don't want both of them to be sleeping on the anniversary day.

As of now it is turning out to be more of a fight between Shimla and Nainital. Any ideas on which destination would have better roads/ less traffic jams. Anyone who's been recently to these places could really help with road conditions. I would anyways start at around 4:30am so considering that which route would be less congetsed throughout?
Honestly, please consider buying an infant car seat before you head off for the vacation. I did a 400 km highway drive last July when my son was 7 months old with another couple who had a 5-month old girl. My son was comfortably playing or sleeping away to glory for most of the journey while the girl was acting up quite frequently since she was uncomfortable being carried around in the lap. No prizes for guessing which of the two ladies was happier at the end of it.

Coming back to topic, I went to Mukteshwar in December and the roads leading up to Nainital were pretty good. You could consider Mukteshwar which is a little further up from Bhimtal and Mountain Trail resort is a very comfortable place to stay. We had a great time there even in peak winters. The place offers breathtaking views of the Kumaon ranges from various vantage points including the resort. Even Ranikhet can be a viable option with no driving through the hills. Look it up!

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 16th March 2010 at 17:25.
Old 17th March 2010, 11:26   #20
BHPian

Thanks a lot Adit and Shitumanu for your suggestions and the links. Shimla or Nainital - one among these would be finalised in a couple of days. Would let you guys know and post a travelogue too once back.

Nkapoor - I have a car seat. Was one of the first things I got when my son's turned 3 months. But glad to know that a lot of people are using it these days. Will find out more about the resort you mentioned.
Old 17th March 2010, 16:32   #21
BHPian

"cloud end" at mussourie, if you have heard about that place..
Old 12th May 2010, 19:02   #22

Dude,

There is no electricity only in the Binsar forest. There are a few resorts near the forest (a few kms away) which have proper power. Plus Binsar is a very beautiful place. Do not miss it.
Old 12th May 2010, 20:49   #23
BHPian

@lifeonwheels: Any progress on this matter as the DAY is approaching?
Old 12th May 2010, 23:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Since team bhp is all about spoiling the seeker with choice may I suggest the following:-
1 Chakrata/ Har ki doon.
2 Renuka ji. 40 kms from Nahan.
3. Dhanaulti/ Chamba.
4. Morni hills.
5. Rajgarh. Approx 40 kms from Solan.
Old 13th May 2010, 01:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniey View Post
Dude,

There is no electricity only in the Binsar forest. There are a few resorts near the forest (a few kms away) which have proper power. Plus Binsar is a very beautiful place. Do not miss it.
Correct there is no electricity supply at the Binsar Retreat, but the other option in the area which are outside the forest do have it.

I had been to Binsar with a friend who had a 8 month old daughter, didn't face any problems and people at the retreat were very helpful.

Lansdown is also a good option if you want to go to some place cooler but away from the crowds.
Old 13th May 2010, 07:24   #26
Team-BHP Support

As others posted already, my vote goes to Nainital.
Nice place to explore on a quiet extended weekend and if its anniversary time, then all the better.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
5. Rajgarh. Approx 40 kms from Solan.
Since you have mentioned it, I do have a question. A group of bachelors from my organization went to Rajgarh a few weeks ago. They had a great time; however, they did opine that the place is not easily accessible and also not convenient, safe and suitable for families. May I request your opinion on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels View Post
Lansdown is also a good option if you want to go to some place cooler but away from the crowds.
Yes indeed, Lansdowne is a cool, quite and nice place to visit but has limited accommodation options. Either you stay at Army/Govt owned place or Blue Pine Resorts; other privately run hotels/resorts are not good is what I have heard from locals. I went there on my last anniversary and stayed at Blue Pine Resorts and would term it as a quite satisfactory experience.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Yes indeed, Lansdowne is a cool, quite and nice place to visit but has limited accommodation options. Either you stay at Army/Govt owned place or Blue Pine Resorts; other privately run hotels/resorts are not good is what I have heard from locals. I went there on my last anniversary and stayed at Blue Pine Resorts and would term it as a quite satisfactory experience.
I had stayed at Fairy Dale and it was a wornderful expirience. The food was always tasty and quantity was decent. The rooms are nicely done (from a budget travellers perspective) and do offer you privacy.

Though I found the location of the GMVN guest house a lot better. But not sure about the other details as never stayed there.

You can also consider Oak Grove Inn about 5 KM from Lansdowne at Jaiharikhal. Heard some good reviews about it.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, I missed the posts !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Why ? I am lost on this one Ashish. I cannot imagine Jaipur as someone's retirement Destination. Dehradun I can understand. Well to each his own !! As Dhiraj says above - The grass is greener on the other side !

I like Kasauli, Nainital, Mc LeodGanj.
Well, I am in love with plains much more then that of Mountains... Many reasons.

As you said each his own
Old 13th May 2010, 14:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels View Post
I had stayed at Fairy Dale and it was a wornderful expirience. The food was always tasty and quantity was decent. The rooms are nicely done (from a budget travellers perspective) and do offer you privacy.

Though I found the location of the GMVN guest house a lot better. But not sure about the other details as never stayed there.

You can also consider Oak Grove Inn about 5 KM from Lansdowne at Jaiharikhal. Heard some good reviews about it.
You bet, GMVN's resort is magnificently located, especially those two huts fixed on pillars.

Good to know about Fairy Dale being a nice resort.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks