Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:33   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambo View Post
My route was Trichy - Thanjavur (bypass) - Saliyamangalam

So didn't encounter any bridge.... So I take back my "bridge is good" comment Meant the Cauvery bridge at Trichy....
Parked right at the temple
Sorry for more confusion. Did you go to Garbarakshambigai via Papanasam (you should encounter it after Saliyamangalam.

If that is the case there is small bridge before temple, which you need to cross.
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:54   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sorry for more confusion. Did you go to Garbarakshambigai via Papanasam (you should encounter it after Saliyamangalam.

If that is the case there is small bridge before temple, which you need to cross.
Didn't go anywhere near Papanasam as far as I know.
I hit Saliyamangalam after Thanjavur, took Left (NORTH) towards Thirukarakavoor and came to the Garbharakshambikai/Mullaivananathar Temple 8km from Saliyamangalam.
Papanasam is further 8-10 km up North from the temple, I believe (as per Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!)

Thanks
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:24   #63
Team-BHP Support

Thanks. Somehow Wikimapia showed the Saliyamangalam station very close to NH45C. Hence this confusion that one needs to go via Papanasam.
Old 4th August 2010, 08:29   #64
BHPian

Mogambo: It is nice to see that you have completed the trip without any hicups.

MX6: I am ashamed to say this, even though I belong to Mannargudi, which is close to tanjore, I have been to Big temple only once. Everytime I want to visit this temple, somehow i am not able to. One more temple that i want to visit is Gangai Konda cholapuram temple near Jayamkondan. I am presently reading a Novel "Udayar "by Balakumaran. It is about 10 volumes which talk about Raja raja Cholan's rule and how he built the temple. It is truly amazing and motivating me to go again sometime soon.

Ampere: Even though the bridge is under repair to Papanasam, we are allowed to now get in to the river and come to the other side using our cars. They have strengthened the river bed with gravel and stones. I asked my inlaws to get down and i used the same road and to go to papanasam. infact the private buses also take the same way. The only problem is that you have to make sure, you climb up fast without breaking.

Regards,
Venkatesh
Old 4th August 2010, 20:15   #65
Senior - BHPian

There are three big temples built by the Chola kings that are World Heritage Monuments now. The Brihadisvara Temple in Thanjavur, the temple at Gangai Konda Cholapuram and the Airavateshwara Temple at Dharasuram.

A lot of people miss out on the Dharasuram temple. It is very beautiful and excellently maintained, as most UNESCO Heritage sites are. Its quite close to Kumbakonam and is on the Kumbakonam - Thanjavur highway. Definitely worth a visit.
Old 4th August 2010, 20:44   #66
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@Csentil. Excellent. Nice to see another Temple lover here.

@Venki.bala. Nothing to be ashamed off. It is not that easy to get audience of Shiva. Guess you need to pray harder

And Mannargudi is a place known for music, what else do you expect from a place which is a part of Thiruvarur. Those parts are places where Classical music and dance and shaivism reached the zenith and is holding up there still!
Old 4th August 2010, 20:44   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
There are three big temples built by the Chola kings that are World Heritage Monuments now. The Brihadisvara Temple in Thanjavur, the temple at Gangai Konda Cholapuram and the Airavateshwara Temple at Dharasuram.

A lot of people miss out on the Dharasuram temple. It is very beautiful and excellently maintained, as most UNESCO Heritage sites are. Its quite close to Kumbakonam and is on the Kumbakonam - Thanjavur highway. Definitely worth a visit.
I covered that stretch in darkness (after visiting thirukarugavur). Since was in a hurry to reach Mayavaram, did not bother to look anywhere.
Old 5th August 2010, 12:45   #68
BHPian

The temples in and around Kumbakonam requires atleast a week to get explored leisurely. Many people are not aware of many old and great temples, other than the Navagraha temples. Also the TN goverment never bothers to popularise or maintain them. It is now that now people have started creating awareness, and slowly temples are getting kknown to outside world.
Old 18th August 2010, 15:45   #69
BHPian

Guys,
I have been reading this thread with interest as Iam planning a trip to Thanjavur and to Garbarakshambigai temple by the end of the month. My plan is to reach Thanjavur in the evening and plan to go to go to Garb' temple early morning.
Can someone detail me the route from Tanjore city to the temple by car.
Specific timing to be in the temple to witness good dharshan.
Nearby temples that are worth visiting when Iam getting back to Chennai .

Btw iam planning to take the NH 45 all the way to Trichi and then reach Thanjavur. Is the plan ok
Old 18th August 2010, 16:53   #70
BHPian

Hi Funnyguru,

From Thanjavur, you can follow 3 routes;

1: Thanjavur - melatur - Thirukarugavur ( 24 kms)
2: Thanjavur - Saliyamangalam - Thirukarugavur ( 20 kms)
3: Thanjavur - Papanasam - Thirukarugavur ( Not sure but longer than previous ones)

Myself and mogambo had taken the second route and the road is very good.

The temple is open from morning 6 till 12 pm. and again from evening 4 till 9 PM. The weekdays are genrally less crowded. Weekends i was told it gets crowded. But a beautiful temple. There is nearby temples that you go to are 1: Sivan temple @ papanasam, Darasuram, Swamimalai etc.

Regards,
Venkatesh
Old 18th August 2010, 17:37   #71
BHPian

Thanks buddy. Great inputs.
Old 5th July 2011, 20:35   #72
BHPian

Re: Need route information for Thirukarukavur and thirumanenjeri in Tanjore district

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Papanasam - thirukarukavur Road is blocked due to a Bridge construction and also a longer route. You need to park your vehicle near the bridge and then take an auto from the other side of the bridge.
Opening an old thread.

Just want to know if the bridge across the river near Thirukarugavoor is repaired and opened.
Old 5th July 2011, 20:53   #73
BHPian

Re: Need route information for Thirukarukavur and thirumanenjeri in Tanjore district

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Opening an old thread.

Just want to know if the bridge across the river near Thirukarugavoor is repaired and opened.
I was there last year and it was not yet done. But if you are going through Thanjavur, you can take Thanjavur-Tiruvarur road and divert from Saliamangalam to reach the temple. No issues with this road and you can get to the temple entrance.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:55   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I was there last year and it was not yet done. But if you are going through Thanjavur, you can take Thanjavur-Tiruvarur road and divert from Saliamangalam to reach the temple. No issues with this road and you can get to the temple entrance.
Hello Ramanan,

The bridge has been opened. No problem if you go from Papanasam. You can go all the way to the temple entrance.

Regards,
Venkatesh
venki.bala is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 14:36   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
The bridge has been opened. No problem if you go from Papanasam. You can go all the way to the temple entrance.
I confirm this, went through Papanasam last October and went all the way to temple. Had tried to follow the 'shortcut' that is marked 5-10 kms before Papanasam. Its outrightly terrible, got caught in railway crossings for 15+ mins. In the end gave up and went through Papanasam.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks